Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Pokemon: Zelda Version

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

This isn't Pokemon!!!

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
They're playing links Red's awakening! :allears:

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

I've never seen this game before

Edit - oh it's a Zelda game

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Zoran posted:

Yeah, the real problem with Chikorita is that it sucks in Sprout Tower, Violet Gym, Azalea Gym, Azalea Forest, Ecruteak Gym, Olivine Gym, Mahogany Gym, Ice Path, and Blackthorn Gym.

That's true, but there are still a lot of situations where grass types can be useful.

Then again we're most likely not going to have much else for pokemon in our party, so that could be a pretty significant issue. Although I'm 99% sure you can solo the game with Togepi/Togetic, so we should be fine.

Jack the Stripper
Feb 9, 2014

Your local cheese loving, wooden shoes wearing drug addict.
Welp, I was right about us having defeated Blue quickly, shame I missed it. I saw Zapdos did a fine job.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

CuwiKhons posted:

I've never seen this game before

Edit - oh it's a Zelda game

A ROM hacked Zelda game.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Oh no it's pixel-movement, it's going to take an hour to move across each screen.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

MegaZeroX posted:

A ROM hacked Zelda game.

I wouldn't have realized what it was even if it wasn't ROM hacked :v: I've never played a Zelda game.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

CuwiKhons posted:

I wouldn't have realized what it was even if it wasn't ROM hacked :v: I've never played a Zelda game.

But Zelda games don't have Kakunas in them :v:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Slate Action posted:

Yesssssss

Fun fact, the TCG had the best drat soundtrack of any Pokemon game.

This man speaks the truth.

Also, gently caress. I missed the end of Twitch Plays Pokemon? That sucks :( Is there a recording of Victory Road/Elite 4?

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I've just re installed windows. Which script should I allow to get twitch chat?

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Quest For Glory II posted:

Oh no it's pixel-movement, it's going to take an hour to move across each screen.

Y'know, for all we were convinced pixel movement would be impossible, they're moving faster than I would have expected.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Inadequately posted:

Thanks! It was just a lucky guess (and the lowest available number at the time). A commemorative avatar would be nice, but my internet seems to have a problem loading them so I wouldn't be able to see it anyway. So I'll settle for a Platinum Upgrade.

The Bee posted:

Think I'll go for a $5 gift card for avatar buying purposes (since buying your own is 5 but for someone else is 10, if I remember right.) Is that 4-sprite pic of Abby, Digrat, and a few others still open?

I have bought and paid for these upgrades, but I didn't realise beforehand that I'd need a way to give you your gift certificate codes (because I haven't bought forums gift certs before). Please send me an email using philip_eve at hotmail dot com so that I can send you your codes.

Slate Action, I sent you a PM with your No-Ads cert code.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Looks like the ROM hack was made specifically for TPP. I can't wait to see what comes up.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Revenge of the Ledge

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
I actually don't see how they're going to get the sword, as it involves holding down B while walking right. Maybe the ROMhack takes out things like that.

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster

CuwiKhons posted:

I see this said every now and again and it always hits me with about the same force as "I'm actually from the planet Neraxxian where we breathe gold" would.

Either I'm a huge nerd or you're an alien. WHICH IS IT? WHICH?!

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Hammerite posted:

Thank you very much, Hammerite.

Can't wait for round 2 of our grand chaotic adventure! :shepface:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I am cool with "spend an hour each during the downtime testing out completely random Pokemon-related games to see if they're even remotely possible with these inputs" time until they start Gold.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

It's so dangerous to go alone Red doesn't even want to leave his house.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Grats all, we've escaped the dastardly Pidget House And Yard. On to Screen #2!

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

KingEffingFrost posted:

The more I think about it, the more I want them to have to deal with a Level 81 Zapdos at the end of Gold/Silver.

I'm working on a rom hack with this, I'll send it to the creator on the off chance they want to use it. Would it be better with Twitch's team's levels, so Zapdos is the only hard fight, or should Red have the rest of the team at level 70+ like in regular Gold? I'm thinking Omastar should be Red's first Pokémon because it's so iconic.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
This guy probably made a really cool TPP zelda hack but these guys won't get past the first few screens at worst.

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

I'm working on a rom hack with this, I'll send it to the creator on the off chance they want to use it. Would it be better with Twitch's team's levels, so Zapdos is the only hard fight, or should Red have the rest of the team at level 70+ like in regular Gold? I'm thinking Omastar should be Red's first Pokémon because it's so iconic.

They should definitely be 70+ with good movesets.

Pneumatic Wizard
Oct 9, 2012

Buglord
They should use democracy mode with link's awakening's pixel based movement system! :suicide:

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Hobo Siege posted:

I see this said every now and again and it always hits me with about the same force as "I'm actually from the planet Neraxxian where we breathe gold" would.

Either I'm a huge nerd or you're an alien. WHICH IS IT? WHICH?!

I grew up on platformers, Mario and Donkey Kong and the like. I dunno, I had Nintendo systems (SNES, N64, Gameboys, etc), I just... never had any Zelda games. Or Metroid games actually. I suppose it's probably because my mom bought games she wanted to play and she wanted to play platformers.

I mean, you're totally a huge nerd. But I swear I'm not an alien.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

stoutfish posted:

They should definitely be 70+ with good movesets.

Yeah, just explain it as Red actually doing things properly once the voices went away.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I don't know the name of the person who made TPP, but I do know I love them. :allears:

farting around in Hyrule for a bit before we head to Johto. I bet this entire sequence is going to be written into the narrative as Gold's dream.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Pneumatic Wizard posted:

They should use democracy mode with link's awakening's pixel based movement system! :suicide:

Surprisingly, pixel mode seems to be making it easier for the consensus to determine the direction we go, anyway.

I vote to level them, but keep their movesets. Also give them all random berries to hold.

Rocketlex fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Mar 1, 2014

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

Would it be better with Twitch's team's levels, so Zapdos is the only hard fight, or should Red have the rest of the team at level 70+ like in regular Gold?
I think a flat 10 or 20 level increase to all would be a better way to show the time progression.

Edit: Can you also script red to run randomly for 5 minutes before talking to the player?

quote:

I'm thinking Omastar should be Red's first Pokémon because it's so iconic.
Strange, I thought it would be more iconic for Omastar to be last because of the long fossil to pokemon awakening and because final boss come last.

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Mar 1, 2014

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
It would also be great if the ROM hack included a trainer with all our released Pokemon. Abby, Leno, Digrat, Dux, Flareon and...I dunno, Venonat.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Anime Sandwich posted:

so thinking something from this stream would be great for my first tatoo, anyone got any suggestions?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXlXpEjiEYM
Take advice from someone older and wiser than you.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Rocketlex posted:

I vote to level them, but keep their movesets. Also give them all random berries to hold.

This is what I'm thinking. They actually all have good movesets except for All-Terrain Venomoth.

Nyaa posted:

Strange, I thought it would be more iconic for Omastar to be last because of the long fossil to pokemon awakening.

I want there to be a moment of "holy poo poo, it's the gen 1 team!" and Omastar is the best way to get that instant recognition.

Recycle Bin
Feb 7, 2001

I'd rather be a pig than a fascist
They should make a hacked pokemon that's just one really loooooong ledge and the next game won't start until Red makes it all the way across.

Squashy
Dec 24, 2005

150cc of psilocybinic power
There is no way this is meant to be anything more than a timewaster.

This is like, Red's Retirement Community Simulator.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

This is what I'm thinking. They actually all have good movesets except for All-Terrain Venomoth.

ATV's moveset would actually be pretty dangerous against a TPP team, since they can't reliably use items to clear status effects. End up with the whole team paralyzed or poisoned due to incompetent switching out. You could give him Psybeam in place of leech life though :getin:

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

CuwiKhons posted:

ATV's moveset would actually be pretty dangerous against a TPP team, since they can't reliably use items to clear status effects. End up with the whole team paralyzed or poisoned due to incompetent switching out. You could give him Psybeam in place of leech life though :getin:

Give him psychic if he's gonna level.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Hammerite posted:

I have bought and paid for these upgrades, but I didn't realise beforehand that I'd need a way to give you your gift certificate codes (because I haven't bought forums gift certs before). Please send me an email using philip_eve at hotmail dot com so that I can send you your codes.

E-mail sent! Look for scioly2013 at hotmail dot com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

I want there to be a moment of "holy poo poo, it's the gen 1 team!" and Omastar is the best way to get that instant recognition.

I think you could match the structure of the "real" Red fight pretty well, actually:
  • Pikachu - Zapdos (Their movesets and levels are almost the same too.)
  • Lapras* - Lapras
  • Snorlax - Pidgeot
  • Venusaur - Venomoth
  • Charizard - Nidoking
  • Blastoise - Omastar
That puts Omastar last, which works pretty well. I'd be wary of levelling them, as that Zapdos on it's own is almost as much of a threat as Red's entire real team.

(* - Okay, technically this was an Espeon in G/S/C. They fixed it for HG/SS, though.)

• Locked thread