Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Yarrbossa posted:

I saw that and instantly thought it was Andarist. He died defending the throne of shadow against the Titse Edur on Drift Avalii. Seems like he might've been blasted by some chaotic magic at some point. He was also wielding Vengeance during that fight, so that explains the sword. All of which takes place in HoC. Yeah, it totally has to be Andarist.

Sure, it might be. But Andarist is old, was wearing armor during that fight, was fighting outside, and was never hit by magic but was instead cut down by the sheer number of Edur coming at him. So even in that scenario it's miles away.

Frankly, the scene it made me think of immediately involves Nimander, and doesn't happen for another two or three books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.

Habibi posted:

Sure, it might be. But Andarist is old, was wearing armor during that fight, was fighting outside, and was never hit by magic but was instead cut down by the sheer number of Edur coming at him.

the least weasel posted:

Whoever drew all of these new cover images has not [..] been given a decent description of what the hell they're meant to portray.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Yeah, yeah - I was just rationalizing my way through it. :)

One the topic of Andarist, boy is his death more meaningful one you've read FoD. :(

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
Sorry, I wasn't trying to be snide. I basically agree with your rationale.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Quinton posted:

Has anyone bought this, and if so, does it have all the horrible OCR errors that many of the early books in the series suffered in ebook form or did they fix that? (poor Toc the Younger often being Toe the Younger, and so on)?

I bought it, but I haven't read it yet. I can tell you that a search of the kindle version shows 166 results for "Toc the Younger," although that does include a few "Toc Younger" results, and 0 results for "Toe the Younger."

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
My favorite OCR fuckup was the renaming of Morn to "Mom"

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Speaking if errors, did I just somehow miss when Gruntle became Grande? Or was my mind just too busy being blown by his transformation?

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

nucleicmaxid posted:

Speaking if errors, did I just somehow miss when Gruntle became Grande? Or was my mind just too busy being blown by his transformation?

That's just what his girlfriends called him.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Quinton posted:

Has anyone bought this, and if so, does it have all the horrible OCR errors that many of the early books in the series suffered in ebook form or did they fix that? (poor Toc the Younger often being Toe the Younger, and so on)?

Personally, I'd prefer for them to update the books I already paid for to not be mangled, but I'm not holding my breath for that to happen.

Return of the Crimson Guard was like the 2nd ebook I'd ever purchased years ago, and it had everything from l, /, //, j, replaced for "I," not to mention the whole body of the text was shifted to the right. I didn't know well enough to complain to Amazon back then, at least now you can return an ebook within a week, but even so, I usually download a sample first before I buy any ebook to see if I can catch errors, formatting errors, etc. I'm fairly certain they've fixed it from redownloading current samples, but the old file is the one tied to my account and there's other early ebook purchases I'd like to get fixed, like Joe Abercrombie's First Law novels that have an extra space between every paragraph :argh:

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I thought they just fixed that so it'll download new, corrected versions of books

Tooter
Nov 12, 2003

Quinton posted:

Personally, I'd prefer for them to update the books I already paid for to not be mangled, but I'm not holding my breath for that to happen.

I bought it and am halfway through Gardens of the Moon. It does not have any errors that I have noticed and my original read through.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Levitate posted:

I thought they just fixed that so it'll download new, corrected versions of books

Mine havent, and I think it's because these books got their lovely versions replaced well before Amazon put in its ebook updating system. I'll have to spend time on the phone with customer service to get it fixed, if ever.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Under "manage your kindle" there's an option to enable updates, which I think is off by default. Even after turning it on, I don't seem to have received any updates, and their details on your library provides no indication (that I can find) of anything having a newer version.

I did notice that some of the many typos I've reported have been changed to "processed" on kindle.amazon.com, but none of the books with "processed" content errors seem to have been updated. Boo.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
My wife wrote that service, actually. If you have highlights or other annotations, possibly even bookmarks or a last page read value I can't remember, then they won't autoupdate since it is very difficult to maintain their locations as the book length can possibly change.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

The "turn on auto-update" page warned that you should have annotations backup enabled on all your devices and seemed to imply at least you wouldn't lose your annotations and such if so. I'll still take loss of highlights over fixed OCR or transcription errors any day of the week. That stuff is just so jarring.

Does she have any idea what the deal with the report-content-error highlight feature is? I was really excited when they finally added that, reported a whole pile of issues, which then seem to just sit and rot. Wouldn't surprise me if they get forwarded to the publishers who then ignore them or suchlike.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Quinton posted:

The "turn on auto-update" page warned that you should have annotations backup enabled on all your devices and seemed to imply at least you wouldn't lose your annotations and such if so. I'll still take loss of highlights over fixed OCR or transcription errors any day of the week. That stuff is just so jarring.

Does she have any idea what the deal with the report-content-error highlight feature is? I was really excited when they finally added that, reported a whole pile of issues, which then seem to just sit and rot. Wouldn't surprise me if they get forwarded to the publishers who then ignore them or suchlike.

yeah I think that's exactly what happens :( ditto with the, less frequent these days, "let the publisher know you'd like to see this in ebook form" button. I'm astounded they don't put you on a list and email you when a title you showed interest in eventually is published. It's like, instant customer!

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I just assumed that the early Malazan e-books never got updated to take care of the lovely errors. The later books are all just about perfect (I haven't noticed any problems in my re-read) but the first 3 or so are loving lousy with OCR errors

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
I've gotten all of mine through Google Play in the last 12 months or so, and have noticed only a handful of errors (perhaps 1 per book). Not to start a religious debate between Amazon, Google, etc., but the Google Play versions don't have DRM. Do the Kindle versions?

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

The Amazon listings for all the Malazan books include "At the publisher's request, this title is being sold without Digital Rights Management software (DRM) applied."

The significant errors were definitely only in the first few books, which looked to have been OCR'd (due to the e<->c, m<->rn, i<->1 sort of errors), I suspect the later books were digital all the way through the process. I loaded the first couple books back on the kindle last night to try to see if I could find some good examples of this, but, annoyingly this morning the kindle still has not indexed them.

Oh, ugh, just flipping through Deadhouse Gates, I realize I forgot about all the scrambled punctuation and weird hyphenation problems:

"That," Duiker.said "was superbly done."

"Got an Imperial pennon;` Fiddler finished, ...

... a taste of civili-zation:`

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Quinton posted:

The Amazon listings for all the Malazan books include "At the publisher's request, this title is being sold without Digital Rights Management software (DRM) applied."

The significant errors were definitely only in the first few books, which looked to have been OCR'd (due to the e<->c, m<->rn, i<->1 sort of errors), I suspect the later books were digital all the way through the process. I loaded the first couple books back on the kindle last night to try to see if I could find some good examples of this, but, annoyingly this morning the kindle still has not indexed them.

Oh, ugh, just flipping through Deadhouse Gates, I realize I forgot about all the scrambled punctuation and weird hyphenation problems:

"That," Duiker.said "was superbly done."

"Got an Imperial pennon;` Fiddler finished, ...

... a taste of civili-zation:`

I just figured those were Canadian grammatical idiosyncrasies.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
How can you tell if the extra apostrophes are an error or just a new proper noun? :P

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

How can you tell if the extra apostrophes are an error or just a new proper noun? :P

If they appeared in the middle of words instead of with a splatter of other punctuation where a double quote is needed it would be difficult indeed!

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Quinton posted:

Those 3 look fine in the collected kindle edition.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

ulmont posted:

Those 3 look fine in the collected kindle edition.

Long ago Amazon would even have different kindle versions of the same ebook for purchase, done by date - there were two different Kindle versions back when I bought Gardens of the Moon and Deadhouse Gates for cheap, now I haven't seen that division in ages for any ebook and I don't think Amazon allows it anymore, just one version. But for these older ebooks that have been replaced/fixed, before the update system was introduced (if the publishers' would use it if at all), the version of the ebook that shows up on your kindle is the version when you bought it, not whatever the newest one is even when you go to the product's page and it says "You purchased this on blah blah." I can download a sample of ROTCG and see the text isn't shifted and early errors fixed, but my version is stuck back in 2011.

There were two entries for On Stranger Tides by Tim Powers when I bought it a few years ago, but those versions had different publishers, these Malazan books didn't.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
So why are the Edur so much more well-adjusted to Wu than the other Tiste races?

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

If you want comically bad ebook mistakes then you should look up the later Raymond E Fiest books. In the first chapter the main character goes to a city and meets these beings that have been plaguing him for centuries, basically a major plot device spanning all of his books. Then about midway through the book this character goes to the city again for the first time.

The author and publisher tried to argue that it was a mistake and it was meant to be a different person at the start of the book, that the storyline was fluid, that they had story arcs that could encompass several characters and they're changed at the end, it was a pre release version...

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
I tried, really tried, to read Fiest after his first four books. Prince of the Blood was tolerable. The rest I found miserably bad. Trench warfare with archers? Really?

Opal
May 10, 2005

I kinda liked the Serpentwar Saga. :ohdear: Then again I was 16 when I read it, maybe that played a factor.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

the least weasel posted:

I kinda liked the Serpentwar Saga. :ohdear: Then again I was 16 when I read it, maybe that played a factor.

I thought Riftwar was really good, the Tsurani trilogy was great, and the books through the end of the Serpentwar petty good. Even the novelization of Betrayal at Krondor was good. But everything after....

The Walking Dad
Dec 31, 2012

amuayse posted:

So why are the Edur so much more well-adjusted to Wu than the other Tiste races?

If I remember correctly they aren't. Isn't the northern half of the letherii continent stuck outside of Krul's blood's influence and north of their territory is an entire section of omtose phellack that never thawed?

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

amuayse posted:

Prequel stuff. All the Tiste were originally from the same world as the rest of the books.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

The Walking Dad posted:

If I remember correctly they aren't. Isn't the northern half of the letherii continent stuck outside of Krul's blood's influence and north of their territory is an entire section of omtose phellack that never thawed?

Well they're less outrageous dicks than the Tiste Liosan and aren't all mopey and aloof like the Andii. Plus the Edur have some sort of working relationship with outsiders.

SansPants
Mar 31, 2007

amuayse posted:

Well they're less outrageous dicks than the Tiste Liosan and aren't all mopey and aloof like the Andii. Plus the Edur have some sort of working relationship with outsiders.

They also got a much better start than the Andii when they invaded due to Scabandari's backstabbing of Silchas Ruin.

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007
I think the edur just got their asses whipped enough that they just simmered down some.

Between the forkrul assail and barghast and whoever else way back when they decided to settle down and kill seals and each other.

They seem to have reorganized their society after these losses like the Teblor. It explains why the ladies know all about bloodeye's final disposition but the dudes don't. Until Hanan Mosag anyway

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I just started Return of the Crimson Guard.
I hate all of the Avowed, they are horrible and stupid and embody the worst aspects of the T'lan Imass and human soldiers.

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007
T'lan Imass and Avowed have a 'special' relationship

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Well one complaint I have is that the power levels of the Avowed are all over the place. Iron Bars was able to take down several gods and punch out Rhulad. Then he gets beat up by a random Seguleh.

amuayse fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Mar 2, 2014

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

amuayse posted:

Well one complaint I have is that the power levels of the Avowed are all over the place. Iron Bars was able to take down several gods and punch out Rhulad. Then he gets beat up by a random Seguleh.

I think the gods we're just ascendants and Seguleh aren't exactly normal.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Oh well, if there's one thing I learned from reading the Book of the Fallen, it's that there's always a bigger fish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
I'm pretty sure the Seguleh are basically ascended based on how they act.