Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Don't forget about the matching sprocket rust, and also the weird rust on the plastics.

Oh poo poo, sniped. This will always be my favorite supermoto "review" from Cycle World.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-GuIDbaews

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
Not today, but yesterday. Baby's first chain slack adjustment on my new bike. Busted out my shiny new spanner set and torque wrench (a decent one, not a cheapie from the local big hardware chain) and I think it all went pretty smoothly and if my method of measuring was accurate, the wheel should be on straight, too.

Now to ride it to work shortly and see if I hosed anything up.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Slavvy posted:

My bike has eight pads on the front end :smith: I guess they're only superficially similar to the gixxer brakes.
I was a little annoyed with how little bite the new brakes had so I sanded the discs / pads last night and went for a ride to bed them in today. Well, after getting them warm enough to start smoking I now have 1 finger stoppie power. Before I did this I ordered a set of PF 07 compound pads since I figured I'd inadvertently contaminated the pads that came with the calipers. Whoops :v:

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Yerok posted:

Don't forget about the matching sprocket rust, and also the weird rust on the plastics.

Oh poo poo, sniped. This will always be my favorite supermoto "review" from Cycle World.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-GuIDbaews

Funnily enough all the orange plastics have been replaced with white.

One of the best things about the KTM (and many sumos) is I can replace all of the body panels (and thus the entire color of the bike) for about £130. You couldn't even get a vinyl wrap job for that money on a normal bike.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
I was expecting you to reply saying they were black or something. That is awesome though, I want to get a second set of all black plastics for the DRZ for doing stupid things.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

ReelBigLizard posted:

One of the best things about the KTM (and many sumos) is I can replace all of the body panels (and thus the entire color of the bike) for about £130. You couldn't even get a vinyl wrap job for that money on a normal bike.

When I got my XT660X it was black, but the seller included a complete set of orange plastics to go with it. Replacing all the panels was a bit like playing with LEGO, so drat easy.

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh
Picked up my new Harley (well, not new but new to me), transferred ownership and insurance.

Prior to that I switched the seat to a touring seat, adjusted rear shocks for my not so low weight and made it all nice and comfy :)

Felt like the king of the world riding to work :)

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

adary posted:

Picked up my new Harley (well, not new but new to me), transferred ownership and insurance.

Prior to that I switched the seat to a touring seat, adjusted rear shocks for my not so low weight and made it all nice and comfy :)

Felt like the king of the world riding to work :)

I'd love to hear what the bike laws and general riding experience in Israel is like, in say the chatting thread. Especially curious if the cops are as enormous dicks about parking a bike as they are with cars.

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh

Snowdens Secret posted:

I'd love to hear what the bike laws and general riding experience in Israel is like, in say the chatting thread. Especially curious if the cops are as enormous dicks about parking a bike as they are with cars.

Go visit the chatting thread then:)

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Welp, just put in an order to upgrade my 36-tooth Craftsmen 3/8 ratchet I've been using since 17 (I'm 24 now) with these.

I'll give an extremely detailed ASMR review on Friday, obviously. :spergin:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Is ASMR that fake thing people say they have where they get a tingly feeling in their head when watching something they like? I get the same thing, too: it's called pleasure. No need to make up a fancy name for something.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I wouldn't call giving a specific feeling a specific nomenclature fake but I agree with your riposted repartee nonetheless

Knot My President! fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Feb 27, 2014

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Geirskogul posted:

Is ASMR that fake thing people say they have where they get a tingly feeling in their head when watching something they like? I get the same thing, too: it's called pleasure. No need to make up a fancy name for something.

It's not fake, but it's definitely a fancy name for something extremely common that people have been describing for like thousands of years. "That music gave me chills!" == whatever ASMR stands for so but with a fancy acronym you can pretend it's a special cool thing only you know how to do.

Kind of like how "handy things your grandma tells you to do" are now called "lifehacks"

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Those performance friction 07 pads when bedded in and hot. Holy shiiiiiiit. SHIIIIIIT.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Don't forward flip don't forward flip don'tforwardflipdon'tforward-ah gently caress!

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Rode my ride to work cause the car was making a god awful screetch when I started it. Fingers were numb at the end but bieks. Short commute on city roads and I never went WOT so while it was nice at the time, it just made things worse.

I miss the last two mild winters. If this is from global warming I'm gonna start a blog and fix this poo poo.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It's more likely that the last two mild winters were from global warming and this year is more like what it should be, but it seems colder in comparison.

But don't worry -- it's weather you're experiencing, not climate. On average, the planet is absolutely heating up every year.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
:eng99:

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
The scientific consensus has switched to the term Global Climate Change for a reason. Yeah, average temperatures are rising, but the conditions in the atmosphere are making the planet more prone to unpredictable weather patterns of all types.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Global Warming, Then Why is It Snowing So Much? Check mate Libtards! :smug:

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
Had decent weather and rode in to work yesterday. Two people leaned out of their cars to ask me about . This thing is going to be great for picking up dudes this summer.

Zool fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Feb 27, 2014

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Bookmarking this, gonna use it all the time. All the time.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I was hoping that was a new smilie

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

hot sauce posted:

I was hoping that was a new smilie

I'd pitch $5 toward CA smilies. :mmmhmm:

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

Today I installed my fuzeblock (fancy relay from fuzeblocks.com) and hooked my USB/DC plug to it and everything works great.

I tried to put on the tusk grip heaters I bought under my grips, but I didn't account for the fact that I can't get the throttle side on because the wires gum up the motion. I guess I'll have to order the actual slip on grips instead.

dimmlight
Aug 24, 2004
Replaced my leaking fuel line with a new one on my dyna. Love the quick disconnect, made it super easy! Installed my new American Custom slip-ons. This weekend hoping to put on my new saddlebags and windshield.

Unfortunately it is around 2 degrees F here so this is busy work to keeping me from exploding from lack of riding.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Saddlebags!

I really like then, but Im not too fond of them tucking under the tail. I saw something online of someone using pvc pipe to have then stick out better, but I don't really want a bunch of piping on there.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Took my transalp out of hibernation. Connected battery, shook the north sea goodness into uniformity, forgot the choke, remembered it then fired it right up.

Refreshed the brake fluid, front and back.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Schroeder91 posted:

Saddlebags!

I really like then, but Im not too fond of them tucking under the tail. I saw something online of someone using pvc pipe to have then stick out better, but I don't really want a bunch of piping on there.

I've seen wire brackets that the saddle bags go over to keep them from tucking like that. Like this:

But they seem to be more a cruiser thing.

Coredump fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Mar 2, 2014

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I have a rack made for hard cases on my XT, it does a great job preventing the saddlebags from going underneath the tail and hitting the wheel.

Niven
Apr 16, 2003
First winter with a garage!

VFR
1) Remove fairings, clean every square inch, scrub chain
2) Check coolant hoses, radiator for any signs of blockage that could explain a recent slight increase in running temps
3) Remove and test thermostat (nothing wrong, but it was a learning experience!)
4) Put it all back together and breath a huge sigh of relief that nothing leaked, exploded, or burned
5) Cleaned out the air filter, which was full of these. Any ideas what they are?

DRZ
1) Troubleshoot non-functional turn signal and high beam indicators (problem solved)

2) Remove gas tank/plastics and start plastidipping away, goodbye tacky barbed wire decals (protip: if you're going to do this in a cold garage heat the cans first)

3) Install the SS brake line that's been sitting on a shelf for almost two years. I was very careful not to spill a drop of brake fluid, then at the end just after closing off the bleed screw I stood up and punched the open bottle of brake fluid off the table :(

The VFR thermostat was easily the biggest thing I've ever tackled on either of my bikes so I documented meticulously, and when the time came to reassemble I sent my homemade instructions off the Staples to print in nice colour, that way I wouldn't have to take the computer into the garage.
I dropped by staples to pick up the printout and got this:

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010
Those look kinda like those "helicopter" seeds that come off of trees. After the wings have dried up and the seeds swelled up and split.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
Had my rear tire replaced yesterday and next time I'm going to do with I've done before, order the tire online and just bring the wheel somewhere, if only because it's so much cheaper.

Instead of using a paddock stand they jacked the bike up under the exhaust, which is fine, but why not use a stand and not risk damaging the pipe. I asked them if they wanted me to get the torque ratings for the various bolts, "nah we know what's right". Finally the tire machine scratched some paint off the edge of my wheel, "yeah that happens, look there's other places where damage was fixed". He was right that the wheel had more damage from tire changes before I owned it, which I fixed, but it still sucks. The guy did fix the spots with a bit of paint, thankfully I've got a black wheel. But maybe I should have insisted they respray the whole wheel? Not really an argument I'd feel like getting into.

Others working on my bike just makes me nervous, sometimes it takes me a couple of tries to get stuff right myself but at least I'm super careful and research everything I do in detail.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

High Protein posted:

Had my rear tire replaced yesterday and next time I'm going to do with I've done before, order the tire online and just bring the wheel somewhere, if only because it's so much cheaper.

Instead of using a paddock stand they jacked the bike up under the exhaust, which is fine, but why not use a stand and not risk damaging the pipe. I asked them if they wanted me to get the torque ratings for the various bolts, "nah we know what's right". Finally the tire machine scratched some paint off the edge of my wheel, "yeah that happens, look there's other places where damage was fixed". He was right that the wheel had more damage from tire changes before I owned it, which I fixed, but it still sucks. The guy did fix the spots with a bit of paint, thankfully I've got a black wheel. But maybe I should have insisted they respray the whole wheel? Not really an argument I'd feel like getting into.

Others working on my bike just makes me nervous, sometimes it takes me a couple of tries to get stuff right myself but at least I'm super careful and research everything I do in detail.

You've got a Buell too, right? The idea of a shop dicking up one of my axles freaks me out. I love having a shop manual so I can take my time and do things right.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Safety Dance posted:

You've got a Buell too, right? The idea of a shop dicking up one of my axles freaks me out. I love having a shop manual so I can take my time and do things right.

Yeah, at least the mechanic had done a Buell before and knew what to take off to get the wheel out.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
When I got the rear tire replaced on the Futura, not only did I have to bring in instructions, I had to get special tools.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

High Protein posted:

As a Ulysses owner, the dings, scratches, and oil film that accumulate are what I like to call "patina".

The stock muffler is a jack point on the XBs (it's the bash plate on the Ulysses), so I wouldn't worry too much about people jacking under it - they're supposed to. The swing arm is also too wide for a lot of paddock stands. I am on the same page as far as doing my own work though. The FSM for the XB is pretty detailed and easy to follow; I like that.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I gotta say though, depending on tire construction or other factors that seem random to me, it can be really fuckin hard to get a tire on without touching the rim a lot. New painted wheels always make me nervous. Wish everything was just chrome.

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I gotta say though, depending on tire construction or other factors that seem random to me, it can be really fuckin hard to get a tire on without touching the rim a lot. New painted wheels always make me nervous. Wish everything was just chrome.

Isn't it though :confused:

#softail™dad #skullzonmyfootpegz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
I just do the tyre myself. I don't even have one of those jigs either, just do it the old fashioned way with a few levers and a vice-grip to break the bead. It takes a little while but it's a good excuse to clean the wheel/brakes/forks/swingarm parts that are otherwise hard to reach.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I have yet to mark my wheels, I cut out 4-5 inch squares from empty workshop bottles (oil bottles, paraffin jugs, anything with that thick white PE plastic). They're firm enough to push in between the rim and tools. They help the tools squeeze in easier too. I also use the same plastic pieces in between my ropes and the bearing points on my boat, stops the ropes wearing out too quick.