Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock

priznat posted:

I went to watch some of Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol last night and ended up watching the whole thing. Great movie.

Paula Patton :swoon:

Yeah, on a whim I watched Ghost Protocol and I was surprised at how good it was. Easily the best M:I movie in my opinion, a very pleasant surprise.

And yeah, Paula Patton being super gorgeous in it doesn't hurt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Saw MI Ghost Protocol in Imax and people were leaning back in their seats and jumping up a bit during the firehose scene. Brad Bird is a great director. I can't think of a movie of his that isn't a blast to watch. If only he was allowed to write the script.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Watched Robot and Frank last night -- it was surprisingly charming and interesting satire as well. I am in love with the library robot Mr. Darcy.

No Longer Flaky
Nov 16, 2013

by Lowtax

neonnoodle posted:

Watched Robot and Frank last night -- it was surprisingly charming and interesting satire as well. I am in love with the library robot Mr. Darcy.

Yeah I watched it a while back and I really enjoyed it. It's a nice little flick.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The Returned (Les Revenants) is probably one of the best shows of 2013, or one of the best miniseries' I've seen in general. In case you're worried it's about zombies, it... isn't. It's gorgeous, stellar music (by Mogwai), and once it gets going the plot resolves itself wonderfully.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Fireplace for your Home has jumped the shark with its spinoff Cascade Mountain Stream. It's like they don't even care about fire anymore.

Namirsolo
Jan 20, 2009

Like that, babe?
I just watched Cleanflix which is amount Mormons editing movies of sex, violence, and profanity. It's pretty interesting. I had no idea Mormons weren't supposed to watch R-rated movies. It's been on my list for a long time and is now expiring on the 13th.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Namirsolo posted:

I just watched Cleanflix which is amount Mormons editing movies of sex, violence, and profanity. It's pretty interesting. I had no idea Mormons weren't supposed to watch R-rated movies. It's been on my list for a long time and is now expiring on the 13th.

It's really interesting, though I wish they'd spent more time with the Directors whose work they were butchering.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
The Station Agent just got added, if you have a crush on Peter Dinklage thanks to Game of Thrones it's one of his first starring roles.

Namirsolo
Jan 20, 2009

Like that, babe?

Yaws posted:

It's really interesting, though I wish they'd spent more time with the Directors whose work they were butchering.

I felt the same way. The directors definitely had the most interesting and least infuriating things to say. I would have really liked if the filmmakers would have shown edited versions of the movies to a director and had them talk about how they felt about the cuts.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

neonnoodle posted:

The reveal at the end made me melt.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

me your dad posted:

Some good movies recently brought in/brought back:

Dr. Strangelove
Dogtown and Z-Boys
Donnie Brasco
Easy Rider
Desperado
El Mariachi
Nightmare on Elm St Pt 2
Fright Night (1985)
Ghostbusters II
Girl, Interrupted
All the Pretty Horses
Capote
Midnight Express
Men in Black II
Night of the Living Dead (1968)
Robin Hood Men in Tights
Serpico
Spiderman
Spaceballs
Taxi Driver
Fisher King
The Ice Storm

Repostin' from PYF. I was wondering why I had like a hundred unread articles on my RSS.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

precision posted:

The Returned (Les Revenants) is probably one of the best shows of 2013, or one of the best miniseries' I've seen in general. In case you're worried it's about zombies, it... isn't. It's gorgeous, stellar music (by Mogwai), and once it gets going the plot resolves itself wonderfully.

Oh it's up? I was watching the first few episodes on the Sundance Channel, but then suddenly my DVR stopped recording it, and I never finished the series. I was really into it.

It sounds like they are doing an American remake starring Red from That 70's Show.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Repostin' from PYF.

Thanks for the list, my queue just got a bit longer.

I see they've also added the 1990 remake in addition to the 1968 original Night of the Living Dead. I remember not really liking the remake, but that was a long time ago and is mostly predicated on the different ending. Should I go back and give it another shot?

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost
I just watched the last four episodes of Breaking Bad and now I need to go into therapy.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?

Monkeyseesaw posted:

I just watched the last four episodes of Breaking Bad and now I need to go into therapy.

And that about sums it up.

My hand was actually shaking after first watching Ozymandias.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Here's a request: Any recommendations for 50's/60's sci-fi B-movies?

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Mar 2, 2014

No Longer Flaky
Nov 16, 2013

by Lowtax

Bung Harmer posted:

The skeleton of cadavra is a good spoof of 50's/60's sci-fi movies. I'd recommend it for sure.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Bung Harmer posted:

The Giant Gila Monster was a favorite of mine as a kid. Any horror movie by Ed Wood is generally something.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Them!
Donovan's Brain
Monolith Monsters
The Fiend Without A Face
The Man With X-Ray Eyes
Not Of This World
The Fly
The Thing

On Netflix, I have no clue.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Taxi Driver is up--must be new. Or did they have that streaming a while back?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Mescal posted:

It was on two years ago, I don't know if it ever was taken down.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Mescal posted:

It's one of several that were added today. Someone posted a list of good ones a few posts up. Taxi Driver did used to be streaming though.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost
Anyone who gets a chance to see Them! should take it because it's actually good.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Bung Harmer posted:

Invisible Invaders (aliens invade dead bodies and reanimate them!)
Barbarella (Jane Fonda's most infamous role)
Angry Red Planet (this used to give me nightmares as a kid, cheesy but lurid effects)
Attack of the Crab Monsters (Roger Corman at his finest, the recently deceased Russell Johnson, Professor on Gilligan's Island is one of the stars)

All four of these will satisfy your need for schlocky B movies.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Mar 2, 2014

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.
The Silence of the Lambs is up. Watch it with a nice chianti and some fava beans (liver optional).

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Last Action Hero is up. Probably one of the most underappreciated Arnold movies.

e: also Das Boot: Director's Cut which is loving great.

Alfred P. Pseudonym fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Mar 3, 2014

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Thanks guys! I've seen The Fly and the remake. Same with The Thing. I definitely will check out Them! and Crab Monsters.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
After stumbling on it I had high hopes for The Final Countdown--who wouldn't want to see a modern nuclear aircraft carrier go back in time to destroy the Japanese fleet before Pearl Harbor--but unfortunately the movie never delivered on its premise. There are a couple Zeros that get shot down by F-14's, but otherwise nothing really happens in the film. Skip it.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Decided to give Robot and Frank a chance last night. It was pretty much what I expected it to be, but had just enough heart to it to bring it above an average rating. I enjoyed that the two came together by planning local heists, was not expecting that to be the bonding element. Also, the Robots response when people "molest' him.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Last Action Hero is up. Probably one of the most underappreciated Arnold movies.

God, I haven't seen this in years but I can still say "rubber baby buggie bumpers" and I can't help but laugh.

a cat youtube
Jun 25, 2013
Have any good martial arts movies been added recently (past 4-5 months) to netflix?

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I just watched The Silence of the Lambs for the first time. Boy did I have some wrong ideas about that one. I distinctly thought one reason it was famous was because Anthony Hopkins only had 5 minutes of screen time but was so good and got an oscar or something. I have no idea now why I always "knew" that. And I also always remembered seeing a scene where Hannibal fries and eats a part of someones brain in front of them while they are still alive but apparently I'm either making that up or thinking of a different movie.

drunken officeparty fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Mar 3, 2014

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

drunken officeparty posted:

And I also always remembered seeing a scene where Hannibal fries and eats a part of someones brain in front of them while they are still alive but apparently I'm either making that up or thinking of a different movie.

This was also Hopkins but it was in one of the terrible sequels, Hannibal (I believe). SoL is a legitimate classic.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

I just watched The Silence of the Lambs for the first time. Boy did I have some wrong ideas about that one. I distinctly thought one reason it was famous was because Anthony Hopkins only had 5 minutes of screen time but was so good and got an oscar or something. I have no idea now why I always "knew" that. And I also always remembered seeing a scene where Hannibal fries and eats a part of someones brain in front of them while they are still alive but apparently I'm either making that up or thinking of a different movie.

That scene is from Hannibal, a well made, but vastly inferior movie to SOTL.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Sock The Great posted:

That scene is from Hannibal, a well made, but vastly inferior movie to SOTL.

Not to be confused with the currently-running television show Hannibal, which is fantastic on just about every level but will never ever be on Netflix thanks to an exclusivity deal with Amazon.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Not to be confused with the currently-running television show Hannibal, which is fantastic on just about every level but will never ever be on Netflix thanks to an exclusivity deal with Amazon.

It's on Finnish Netflix. Yaaayyyyy.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

I just watched The Silence of the Lambs for the first time. Boy did I have some wrong ideas about that one. I distinctly thought one reason it was famous was because Anthony Hopkins only had 5 minutes of screen time but was so good and got an oscar or something. I have no idea now why I always "knew" that.

He does have the lowest amount of screen time of any best actor winner (and, iirc, less than some best supporting actor winners), you probably saw that along with his actual screen time and misremembered the number.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Awesome Welles posted:

God, I haven't seen this in years but I can still say "rubber baby buggie bumpers" and I can't help but laugh.

I watched it last night and it's pretty awesome. The fake action movie that they're lampooning is great and while the very end is cheesy the 30 minutes leading up to it are so meta it makes my head hurt. There's a freaking MC Hammer cameo, haha! I can see why it was a box office bomb but man, it's much more clever than you'd imagine.

Also Arnold might be a womanizer and a politician but at least he has a good sense of humor about himself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Z9Ismh1elM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Last Action Hero is so good, especially because of Charles Dance.

• Locked thread