Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

slowbeef posted:

A lot of (big) YouTubers have multiple cash inflows. It's the smart thing to do: diversify.

If you do highlight reels and reviews, then if LP kicks the bucket, money-wise (I don't think it's actually going away), you have more to fall back on. Things like merch, Twitch subs (which is huge), etc.

I can attest to this, reviews are a pretty great way to accrue viewers. I was actually hoping ProtonJon and PsychedelicEyeball stayed along that path, they were pretty good at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr DJB
Nov 1, 2009

I will devour your soul while you sleep...

heytallman posted:

I'm a sucker for bootleg versions of things.

Hell yeah, I'm totally down with that poo poo!

On the subject of people who I retsupurae, I usually try to make it clear that I don't have any real ill will towards them. The most recent example of this is when I made fun of a guy called DevilBoyScooby, only to invite him to co-commentate in my very next LP video. And best of all, he was actually pretty funny!

It makes you think. Maybe if I had him riff on somebody else, then had that somebody else riff somebody else, I could keep YouTube in an endless cycle of self-sustained mockery. Like TwitchPlaysPokemon, but with retsupuraes. Beef! I just figured out your retirement plan!

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Mr DJB posted:

It makes you think. Maybe if I had him riff on somebody else, then had that somebody else riff somebody else, I could keep YouTube in an endless cycle of self-sustained mockery. Like TwitchPlaysPokemon, but with retsupuraes. Beef! I just figured out your retirement plan!

I smell a Ponzi scheme in the making.

heytallman
Aug 30, 2013

Is not actually tall.

Mr DJB posted:

So what you're saying is, they need to start up a Retsuprenticeship program.

I'm sorry.

e: The part of me that likes trying to make the worst video I can possibly make wants to do a video of Minecraft, Happy Wheels, Slender, and Flappy Bird all at once. With a scarecam, of course.

heytallman fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Feb 28, 2014

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

slowbeef posted:

A lot of (big) YouTubers have multiple cash inflows. It's the smart thing to do: diversify.

If you do highlight reels and reviews, then if LP kicks the bucket, money-wise (I don't think it's actually going away), you have more to fall back on. Things like merch, Twitch subs (which is huge), etc.

Twitch subs would be even more huge when they wouldn't keep half of the 5 bucks. I do think that donations are a big part of that income as well. I have seen many streamer with that little donation bar on the bottom, showing who donated and how much.

And of course, who wouldn't want to be visible as donator to everyone?

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

heytallman posted:

So what you're saying is, they need to start up a Retsuprenticeship program.

I'm sorry.

e: The part of me that likes trying to make the worst video I can possibly make wants to do a video of Minecraft, Happy Wheels, Slender, and Flappy Bird all at once. With a scarecam, of course.

The scarecam needs to have a giant frame, to look more professional. You could have all four games in each of the four corners of the screen, overlapping slightly. Then overlay the cam of you in your oculus rift, face obscured, right in the centre. Be sure to wear a funny hat.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Nihilarian posted:

Jon's replacement is also internet famous. Danny Sexbang from Ninja Sex Party.

I would like Game Grumps significantly more if Egoraptor was kicked off his own show, and we were left with Danny, Ross, and Barry.

Just a show where people shoot the poo poo with one another while actually focusing on games and completing them and not making frustratingly dumb statements every 10 minutes (like saying how they support Ron Paul). That would be a good show.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

MooCowlian posted:

The scarecam needs to have a giant frame, to look more professional. You could have all four games in each of the four corners of the screen, overlapping slightly. Then overlay the cam of you in your oculus rift, face obscured, right in the centre. Be sure to wear a funny hat.

And that's how they became the Brady Bunch!

The Best Christmas
May 13, 2011

Talking about people who were RP'd/their reactions, way back when, one of the people who had one really early in retsupurae's life, BikdipOnABus (the one that kind of sounded like a strange Sean Connery, played Metroid on the video that was RP'd) apparently found out about it through a fan of RP noticing him in an online pictionary place, and proceeded to quote every single thing slowbeef and diabetus said. So, I'm generally assuming dumb RP fans aren't much of a new concept.

RSCNyx
Mar 6, 2013

It's okay, little guy. I would be scared too.
You know...there's a better way to do this, man.

I can't even begin to imagine how long this LP will go on for, it'll give NorthernLion a run for his money.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

RSCNyx posted:

You know...there's a better way to do this, man.

I can't even begin to imagine how long this LP will go on for, it'll give NorthernLion a run for his money.

Was this started before or after Twitch Plays Pokemon because this guy is either a visionary or someone who didn't grasp why the former was on a livestreaming website.

How is he even maintaining the session across the various days it's apparently taken to reach this point? Does he just leave the game on all day or what

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

Was this started before or after Twitch Plays Pokemon because this guy is either a visionary or someone who didn't grasp why the former was on a livestreaming website.

How is he even maintaining the session across the various days it's apparently taken to reach this point? Does he just leave the game on all day or what

There are people that just leaver their computers on all day, so that is possible.

looks like it started feb 15 so after TPP started (I think).

RSCNyx
Mar 6, 2013

This started a week ago Feb. 15, so yeah, it was after Twitch Plays Pokemon. As for how he's managing it, I honestly have no idea. He has to be constantly leaving the game on, because there's no way to save your progress. If you quit the game, you have to start from the beginning again.

EDIT: Yeah, what Genocyber said!

...He has to know streaming is a thing, right?

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
He has a twitch link in a different video description so:shrug:

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012
Looks like Twitch Plays Pokemon beat the Elite Four a couple hours ago. Now a new adventure will begin apparently, in just over a day. I'm guessing it'll be Pokemon Gold/Silver, or they might just do this one again. I wonder how many viewers they'll keep/gain and how it'll go, considering people are still constantly voting for anarchy right now.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Actually speaking of that someone Japanese made a faux-"control game via stream input" game a few months back, equally Japanese LP of it here (you probably want to at least skip to 3 minutes in when he gets off the title screen). Ultimately it's just adventure game-style input that responds to specific words but it's certainly an earlier look at the concept.

Polsy fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Mar 1, 2014

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

heytallman posted:

To get back on topic with LP-related stuff, I started up a series on Youtube. I know there's a ban on Pokémon related stuff here, and I don't think it's unique/interesting enough to warrant asking permission for a thread, but I like playing competitively, and wanted to start uploading videos of some good matches. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69DnKFbT9vc.

This got kinda lost in the shuffle I feel, but I wanted to mention that I'd actually be pretty interested in a Pokémon thread that doesn't focus on the single player storyline, but rather on the multiplayer competitive elements of the series. I never really got into the multiplayer battles, and as someone who only plays the games as a single-player experience with maybe some online trading, it's kinda hard to actually understand all the tactics that go into competitive battles. Your video seems interesting, but is still kind of overwhelming for someone like me. A "competitive battles 101" thread could be really neat if you -- or anyone else -- would want to do that.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Oh Phil :allears:

For those who don't want to watch: Phil gives a big speech before a stream of FFXIII: Lightning Returns about how other people have given up on the game because it's bad and they were only playing it for the money, but he's not like that and he's a true gamer and he's in it for the long haul and is gonna finish it for everyone!

Cut to him giving up at the final boss, then finding footage of the ending cutscene on YouTube to stream in place of him actually beating the game himself. Gets called out on it, and he tells them to shut the gently caress up and not to "hold people on YouTube up to their selfish standards."

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

A "competitive battles 101" thread could be really neat if you -- or anyone else -- would want to do that.

I find competitive gaming interesting in general, so I'd read such a thread or watch such a video. Wouldn't have much to contribute mind you since I'm not even much into single player Pokemon but it's something I'd read.

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Jamesman posted:

For those who don't want to watch: Phil gives a big speech before a stream of FFXIII: Lightning Returns about how other people have given up on the game because it's bad and they were only playing it for the money, but he's not like that and he's a true gamer and he's in it for the long haul and is gonna finish it for everyone!

Cut to him giving up at the final boss, then finding footage of the ending cutscene on YouTube to stream in place of him actually beating the game himself. Gets called out on it, and he tells them to shut the gently caress up and not to "hold people on YouTube up to their selfish standards."

I gotta say, I'm starting to like this guy. It's like the perfect way to gently caress with people. I just wish he was doing it on purpose.

"You're going to criticize me, because I didn't beat the final boss. Well, you fuckin' do it yourself, and leave me alone"...might just be my favorite line so far. I always thought it'd be pretty hilarious to garner quite a bit of YouTube popularity, and then just gently caress with people after you've gotten to that stage, and I think Phil is about as close to that as I'm going to see....even if he's being serious, it still comes across like he's just running a massive troll scheme...and I can get behind that. It almost reminds me of the massive shitstorm that happened when the Schildkrote thing was going on, and they used UltraJMan's account to start loving with people, (back when he was one of the more popular YouTube LPers). LP Drama Nostalgia yo.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
There's literally no reason to watch his videos or streams if he can't deliver on the goddamn ending. He has to steal someone else's content so he can show it to the world. I don't give a poo poo that he didn't upload the ending video/stream to his youtube channel, he's still a thieving, hypocritical sack of poo poo.

I really wish people would stop watching his channel directly. He deserves no money.

gettin' mad at lpers over here

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I know Game Grumps aren't well-liked around here, and I personally don't like them that much, but goddamn it does Danny screaming like a little girl on the SoTC episodes crack me up in a bad way

heytallman
Aug 30, 2013

Is not actually tall.

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

This got kinda lost in the shuffle I feel, but I wanted to mention that I'd actually be pretty interested in a Pokémon thread that doesn't focus on the single player storyline, but rather on the multiplayer competitive elements of the series. I never really got into the multiplayer battles, and as someone who only plays the games as a single-player experience with maybe some online trading, it's kinda hard to actually understand all the tactics that go into competitive battles. Your video seems interesting, but is still kind of overwhelming for someone like me. A "competitive battles 101" thread could be really neat if you -- or anyone else -- would want to do that.

I find competitive gaming interesting in general, so I'd read such a thread or watch such a video. Wouldn't have much to contribute mind you since I'm not even much into single player Pokemon but it's something I'd read.

Oh, cool! I guess I can talk to Zorak after I finish my Plok LP for the hard games thread and see what he says about it. I guess it could work as a thread in the vein of taking suggestions for different Pokémon to try out and stuff, kind of like the Spelunky challenge runs for Psych's thread. And if not, oh well, I can just keep making the vids on YouTube anyway, because it's pretty fun.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Calaveron posted:

I know Game Grumps aren't well-liked around here, and I personally don't like them that much, but goddamn it does Danny screaming like a little girl on the SoTC episodes crack me up in a bad way

Them finally making it to Mr. Sandman and Danny getting his poo poo wrecked like Raiden at the end of MGR was so loving hilarious.

Shame about me being so used to Goon-qualityTM gameplay that I could only wish the entire series wasn't brute-forcing your way through it like Twitch Plays Pokemon.

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
We all know that scarecams aren't looked upon in such a good light around here. But like all Picture in Picture advertisements, we know that eventually, the scarecam will evolve into the video being NOTHING BUT the scarecam.

So I present to you fine goons and goonettes, a glimpse...of the FUTURE OF LET'S PLAY:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xULbTPS9SY

And there's a part 2 that's relatively new!: (complete with humping comment to open the video with!)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLfXKjZxfFo

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Splendid. This can be turned into an audio-only RP.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Calaveron posted:

I haven't been watching their Shadow of the Colossus videos because I'm the kind of :spergin: that doesn't appreciate a casual walkthrough of such an artful game. I hadn't thought about the prospect of Danny getting the pants scared off him by the Colossi, though. I might have to start watching these videos now! :buddy:

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

curiousTerminal posted:

There's also the fact that Egoraptor's wife is a model with a sizable Youtube fanbase herself (boosted from game grumps as of recent) so GG is not their only cash flow.

I swear to God she looks like Bjork. Work with me on this.

In her secret other life Suzy Hanson brings in even more money as a Bjork impersonator.

Calaveron posted:

Really, it's kind of like, the Grumps are hit-or-miss and the impression made by your first Grumps video is going to color how you think of them every time you watch them forever. Danny screaming in terror is always going to be a good video. If you have a friend who it is for some reason important that they like Grumps, show them Danny screaming. Or pretty much any video with Barry as long as it's not too heavy on Suzy as well (please guys for the love of God find a funnier fill-in for Steam Rolled).

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I like Suzy, she's like the team mom who tries to keep this band of idiots from killing each other/themselves :unsmith:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Jamesman posted:

Let me guess, he couldn't figure out the gimmick for the boss's final form? The same gimmick that's been essential to the previous two games, and much of LR? And for bonus points, I'm gonna guess he didn't do the easy rear end side routes in the final dungeon to get Lightning's final weapons and spells, right?

stingtwo
Nov 16, 2012

Ok lets see what their other videos are like since i didn't last a full minute watching either one of those.

no.

no.

no. Seriously they should buy a camera with a decent frame rate, then never upload another video again.

Back to face cams, what is the opinion on James and Mike plays since there is alot more effort being put into them (editing and actual content) than the hated PDP and tobygames method of just picture-in-picture the webcam recording.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

BMS posted:

We all know that scarecams aren't looked upon in such a good light around here. But like all Picture in Picture advertisements, we know that eventually, the scarecam will evolve into the video being NOTHING BUT the scarecam.

So I present to you fine goons and goonettes, a glimpse...of the FUTURE OF LET'S PLAY:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xULbTPS9SY

And there's a part 2 that's relatively new!: (complete with humping comment to open the video with!)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLfXKjZxfFo

the video description posted:

we don't got a capture card so you can see the game play but you have a facecam at least so i hope you enjoy.

That must be a joke, surely?

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

stingtwo posted:

Back to face cams, what is the opinion on James and Mike plays since there is alot more effort being put into them (editing and actual content) than the hated PDP and tobygames method of just picture-in-picture the webcam recording.

I personally enjoy them. Mike isn't as irritating as he gets to be himself instead of AVGN-lite and James is just a pleasant guy to listen to when he's being himself.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

stingtwo posted:

They're at least legitimately expressive enough, from what I've seen, to make it more worthwhile than other face cams where they're just faking it or not doing anything in particular.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

IceAgeComing posted:

That must be a joke, surely?

I've been ascribing to the school of "if you have to ask, it's probably not a joke" lately.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

They're juggalos, It's probably not a joke.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

MooCowlian posted:

They're juggalos, It's probably not a joke.

Everything about juggalos is a joke. Just maybe not an intentional one.

RSCNyx
Mar 6, 2013

ChaosArgate posted:

They're at least legitimately expressive enough, from what I've seen, to make it more worthwhile than other face cams where they're just faking it or not doing anything in particular.

Yeah. They don't seem like they're trying to fake reactions, or scream like lunatics. They just seem like two guys playing video games. Pretty enjoyable watch!

As for those two...I mean, you shouldn't be using a camcorder, but you could at least have it face the drat game! No one wants to see you! If they clicked on your video, they obviously were more interested in Doom 3 than your faces!

I want to know the thought process behind this. They were aware enough that they don't have a capture card to record the game, but...

Mulgar
Dec 8, 2013

slowbeef posted:

That's dumb.

If you buy your own poo poo, you get to declare it on your taxes and keep more of your income. Unless they're not reporting it on their taxes, which I'm betting a few don't.

Eh, it's more of a "send us games that we've never heard of before" kind of system. Mind you I unsubscribed ages ago so things may have changed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

RSCNyx posted:

Yeah. They don't seem like they're trying to fake reactions, or scream like lunatics. They just seem like two guys playing video games. Pretty enjoyable watch!

As for those two...I mean, you shouldn't be using a camcorder, but you could at least have it face the drat game! No one wants to see you! If they clicked on your video, they obviously were more interested in Doom 3 than your faces!

I want to know the thought process behind this. They were aware enough that they don't have a capture card to record the game, but...

Well it's not like you can see anything in Doom 3 anyway.

• Locked thread