Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.

Spanish Manlove posted:

i'm a huge nerd and think he ate the guy who made minecraft

FTFY.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beeble
Apr 27, 2004

BEEBLE 09.JUL.14

The glory of the many demands more TECH SUPPORT. I FEEL GLORIOUS!
johnathon boogie2988

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

man thats gross posted:

for the first bit of this solo he looks like hes going through all the stages of eating a hot pocket thats still cold in the middle

second bit of the solo he eats a hot pocket :eyepop:

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

man thats gross posted:

for the first bit of this solo he looks like hes going through all the stages of eating a hot pocket thats still cold in the middle

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

man thats gross posted:

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

I lie awake, staring out at the bleakness of Megadon.

Yarbald posted:

Is that an f hole? God dammit that thing is ugly. Also what the hell is going on with the pick ups and selector switches.

This thread is making me irrationally angry.

The guitar is kind of goofy looking, but split single coils are awesome as gently caress. You can turn each individual half of the single coil on or off, so you can have twangy bass strings that don't lose definition, and you can give your treble stings more body. I'd play that guitar. The half-covered F-hole is really loving dumb though.

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

BUSH 2112 posted:

The guitar is kind of goofy looking, but split single coils are awesome as gently caress. You can turn each individual half of the single coil on or off, so you can have twangy bass strings that don't lose definition, and you can give your treble stings more body. I'd play that guitar. The half-covered F-hole is really loving dumb though.

okay that's actually pretty cool

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

BUSH 2112 posted:

I'd love to make one, no one would buy it though :(.

How about individual pickups for each string?

Symphonic
Nov 10, 2012
man this thread became pretty rad

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Metalmom.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
she'll totally teach you to write sick metal riffs tho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSc_FU_CnwY

Dec 26, 2012

man thats gross posted:

Tempus Fugit
Jan 31, 2008

comes along bort posted:

haha he plays like the worst guitar center no concept of rhythm srv-wannabe blues noodling bullshit too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFAzT2CDoEc&t=167s

Gah. This is wretched. No phrasing, no rhythm, stale re-bluesed licks. I can't understand his phrasing at all. "I got a rhythm section back there but idgaf, enjoy my complex polyrhythmic noodling :smug:"

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
As someone who enjoys playing rhythm guitar and things like comping more than playing leads, this guy, and people like him, are my enemies.

Practice with a loving metronome you assholes.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

comes along bort posted:

she'll totally teach you to write sick metal riffs tho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSc_FU_CnwY

Metal Meth OD

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I love where this thread is going!

The one person posts a grammatically correct dissertation on how he can write in a grammatically correct format but he's too cool to do that, because reasons.

Another person repeats the same stupid poo poo they said before: "Ibanez necks are all the same but they're too in-depth for discussion!"

A third person says BKP pickups are a little better but, yeah, they're overpriced. Meanwhile, all those Seymour Duncans and DiMarzios in the market are poo poo (gently caress you).

Another person says tubes only glow bright when they are dying, so I guess they are an expert on the subject.

Except that I assembled and tested (among many other products) $(many)k 140 watt mono tube rigs back when I was 25 and I saw and handled tubes most of you will never ever see, when I spent 18 months as assembly lead here back when they were in based in North Carolina.
Find an amp from that period and you'll find several of my my QC stickers on the sub-assemblies inside it.

Hey, you want a new set of power amp tubes to listen to your orchestral vinyl through your audiophile setup with the $500/foot speaker wire, on lifts with wooden magic tone knobs and magic bricks, through your phono rig that costs more than a starter home?

Good thing you already have $1,500 on hand to swap them out. That's just for one side, and just the power amp tubes.

That was in the late 90's, as you can see from their site, prices have gone up quite a bit.

Among the products I was personally responsible for assembling and overseeing final assembly:

The Renaissance 140 (yeah, at the time that was easily $1,000 worth of glass just in the power section). You could get them in 70W/side stereo versions for half the price.

The Renaissance 30/30

The CPA 20-input preamp

...and their DAC and every other model they built and serviced while I worked there as lead. So I don't need the guidance of GBS UGLY HANDLE GUITARS to tell me what a working tube looks like.

I built those, and I even had to match input transformers for a day at a time on a rig that if you touched it in the wrong place it would electrocute you dead. If they buzzed after a day, you had to start over and try another pair, delaying production another day.
Only I was allowed to even touch it, or pot them.
I personally filled those transformers with Conothane mix so they wouldn't buzz and interrupt your enjoyment of Espana or Bolero and make you put your wine glass down and call tech support.

I will say that I was present for many listening sessions before these units shipped, and holky gently caress they sounded amazing, but this was 1996 or so and the system cost as much as a really nice starter home, well over $100k.

The experience lead me to the opposite conclusion: You need not spend $100k to listen to music or play guitar. You find the best Just Noticeable Difference and you spend your money on what sounds good to you. Obviously, this difference is going to be different per person; but there's a few good posters in this thread who have good ears, and there's the rest of GBS.

Thanks for reading.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Mar 2, 2014

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

I lie awake, staring out at the bleakness of Megadon.
Instead of trying out thousands of tubes and owning seventy of the same guitar, I just have talent.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
The complete lack of self awareness on display in this thread is simply astounding.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Dr. Faustus posted:

Masturbation

Your taste in guitars is still poo poo tho

Edit: I worked at Coldstone let me tell you how your plebeian opinions on icecream are objectively wrong

Symphonic
Nov 10, 2012

HollisBrown posted:

The complete lack of self awareness on display in this thread is simply astounding.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

BUSH 2112 posted:

Instead of trying out thousands of tubes and owning seventy of the same guitar, I just have talent.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Walker told me this thread had autism

bitchtard
Dec 3, 2010

this is my favorite guitar, and i really don't enjoy playing anything else.

don't sweat that neck joint it's completely filled with epoxy.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
How do you deal with the boingyness of that tremolo bar?

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004

Dr. Faustus posted:

I love where this thread is going!

The one person posts a grammatically correct dissertation on how he can write in a grammatically correct format but he's too cool to do that, because reasons.

Another person repeats the same stupid poo poo they said before: "Ibanez necks are all the same but they're too in-depth for discussion!"

A third person says BKP pickups are a little better but, yeah, they're overpriced. Meanwhile, all those Seymour Duncans and DiMarzios in the market are poo poo (gently caress you).

Another person says tubes only glow bright when they are dying, so I guess they are an expert on the subject.

Except that I assembled and tested (among many other products) $(many)k 140 watt mono tube rigs back when I was 25 and I saw and handled tubes most of you will never ever see, when I spent 18 months as assembly lead here back when they were in based in North Carolina.
Find an amp from that period and you'll find several of my my QC stickers on the sub-assemblies inside it.

Hey, you want a new set of power amp tubes to listen to your orchestral vinyl through your audiophile setup with the $500/foot speaker wire, on lifts with wooden magic tone knobs and magic bricks, through your phono rig that costs more than a starter home?

Good thing you already have $1,500 on hand to swap them out. That's just for one side, and just the power amp tubes.

That was in the late 90's, as you can see from their site, prices have gone up quite a bit.

Among the products I was personally responsible for assembling and overseeing final assembly:

The Renaissance 140 (yeah, at the time that was easily $1,000 worth of glass just in the power section). You could get them in 70W/side stereo versions for half the price.

The Renaissance 30/30

The CPA 20-input preamp

...and their DAC and every other model they built and serviced while I worked there as lead. So I don't need the guidance of GBS UGLY HANDLE GUITARS to tell me what a working tube looks like.

I built those, and I even had to match input transformers for a day at a time on a rig that if you touched it in the wrong place it would electrocute you dead. If they buzzed after a day, you had to start over and try another pair, delaying production another day.
Only I was allowed to even touch it, or pot them.
I personally filled those transformers with Conothane mix so they wouldn't buzz and interrupt your enjoyment of Espana or Bolero and make you put your wine glass down and call tech support.

I will say that I was present for many listening sessions before these units shipped, and holky gently caress they sounded amazing, but this was 1996 or so and the system cost as much as a really nice starter home, well over $100k.

The experience lead me to the opposite conclusion: You need not spend $100k to listen to music or play guitar. You find the best Just Noticeable Difference and you spend your money on what sounds good to you. Obviously, this difference is going to be different per person; but there's a few good posters in this thread who have good ears, and there's the rest of GBS.

Thanks for reading.

didnt read past the part about me rated 2/10

bitchtard
Dec 3, 2010

HollisBrown posted:

How do you deal with the boingyness of that tremolo bar?

i drilled speed holes into it

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

we respect the antelope; for the antelope is not a mere antelope

White Dog Eggs posted:

Still not sure about these things.

Half scythe, half 50s car.

Radio Help
Mar 22, 2007

ChipChip? 

Bitchtard posted:

looks like something the best buttrock guitarist in Barter Town would play. i like it.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Under the vegetable posted:

http://www.sabian.com/en/videos/featured/86451920

terry bozzio plays worlds most expensive, white gamelan

There is nothing on this planet more wretched than a loving drum solo.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

Bitchtard posted:

Hahaha, woah. What is going on there? I'm guessing it has 3 pickups originally and the first one was filled and you've covered it with that blue stuff? Did you reshape the cut away too? WTF is that pickup and what is going on with the bridge, did you chisel out the recess?

This thing is fascinating, it makes me want to play guitar CSI.

bitchtard
Dec 3, 2010

White Dog Eggs posted:

Hahaha, woah. What is going on there? I'm guessing it has 3 pickups originally and the first one was filled and you've covered it with that blue stuff? Did you reshape the cut away too? WTF is that pickup and what is going on with the bridge, did you chisel out the recess?

This thing is fascinating, it makes me want to play guitar CSI.

yeah three originally, the next iteration will bring the neck pick up back. all reshaping was done with a handheld dremel with no real regard for shape or anything except "make work gooder" pickup is a qtuner

I respect the hell out of you guys that can do the work and make it look good.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
Gonna guess it was cut down to switch a 21 fret neck for a 24 and stay in scale.

bitchtard
Dec 3, 2010

Clitch posted:

Gonna guess it was cut down to switch a 21 fret neck for a 24 and stay in scale.

correct

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

Bitchtard posted:

yeah three originally, the next iteration will bring the neck pick up back. all reshaping was done with a handheld dremel with no real regard for shape or anything except "make work gooder" pickup is a qtuner

I respect the hell out of you guys that can do the work and make it look good.

To be honest if you get access to the proper tools it becomes a lot easier. My third effort was made using just handtools and it was such a pain in the dick, it looked lovely and because it was made using an old pine table getting rid of the marks took loving ages.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Inspector_666 posted:

Counterpoint: Bonzo's drum solo on Moby Dick.

Trans Ferdinand
Oct 24, 2005
Take Me Out Of Gear

Inspector_666 posted:

Counterpoint: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBG6IaSQCpU

^:hf:

Trans Ferdinand fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Mar 2, 2014

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

Inspector_666 posted:

Eh, I dunno, Rat Salad by Sabbath is fun in a "look how much drugs we smoked" kind of way.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiK2rs7Vvjk

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
Ironic counterpoint:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzmmUZ9D9Uk

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
^^^ drat i sure am glad i decided against posting that, i'd have looked quite the fool

Inspector_666 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlXP75MljGw

i still love this song after years of not playing music games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Inspector_666 posted:

bass solo

• Locked thread