Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

Where does the wind come from that blows upon your face, that fans the pages of your book?
The most recent World Fantasy Award winners for Best Novel are:
Alif the Unseen by G. Willow Wilson
Osama: A Novel by Lavie Tidhar
Who Fears Death by Nnedi Okorafor
The City & the City by China Miéville

No orcs, guaranteed.

Just glancing at my own shelf, I see The White Bone by Barbara Gowdy -- a grim family/coming-of-age story told from the POV of an African elephant, and trash sex magic by Jennifer Stevenson -- about a trailer trash community in Illinois, where a mother and daughter team known to be the biggest tramps in the county can also tap into elemental powers. And those aren't particularly recent.

Yeah, if all you can find in fantasy is a bunch of D&D campaigns, you need to get back in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Soulcleaver posted:

Spec Ops: The Line is designed to make the player feel like a loving war criminal and it does so quite well. The interactive element (you are actually participating in these virtual atrocities) does add a personal twinge of regret to the mixture that you don't have with Apocalypse Now or Heart of Darkness, but overall it's not half as powerful as either of those other works. Still an excellent experiment with the writing of the medium, though, much like the BioShock example mentioned earlier.

To a degree you can gauge its success by the OUTRAGED POSTS that get made about it in PYF threads whenever it comes up. It really gets under peoples skin.

I think something that's being skipped over is that 'writing' in games also includes the mise-en-scene - so in Fallout 3 you get these little scenarios in the bombed out houses you investigate and in Spec Ops the role that music plays, the ebb and flow of action, conversation and introspection and the conversation the game has with previous (and subsequent) video games are all part of the 'writing'. You also get games like Brothers that have no recognisable English phrases but are still very carefully 'written'.

I mean yes, vg's are not the place to look for examples of high-end prose style (though it crops up from time to time and it's always nice when it does) but there's still plenty to learn from them in the way that environments tell stories, the way expectations can be satisfied and subverted and the direct transmission of emotion through sensation.

e: vvv yep vvv

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Feb 25, 2014

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
What it really comes down to is that video games and literature have a fundamentally different way of telling stories. I wouldn't say that games are inherently incapable of telling strong stories (although I do think that in general they have a long way to go in terms of narrative, especially in the AAA cinematic explosionfest space), but they absolutely don't tell stories the way a novel does and they're certainly not the place to look if you're learning to write prose fiction.

Echo Cian
Jun 16, 2011

CB_Tube_Knight posted:

Because of the popularity of the HBO show and the novels now, I worry that we're going to have to wade through ASOFAI clones for the next twenty years or so. I gave up on the books already and the show is wearing thin on me.

That's a much better summary. The only things I've seen with those elements are LotR and the Fionavar Tapestry which was of questionable quality - those things being directly derivative.

I think we've already got ASoIaF clones, didn't GRRM start this current grimdark craze? I wish people would move away from that already, it's gotten old much faster than Tolkein since a lot of writers just seem to use it to go "Look how gritty I am!"

Realism is not gleefully stomping on or ignoring hope just because that's how the world supposedly works. But this isn't really on topic. :v:

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum

Echo Cian posted:

I think we've already got ASoIaF clones, didn't GRRM start this current grimdark craze? I wish people would move away from that already, it's gotten old much faster than Tolkein since a lot of writers just seem to use it to go "Look how gritty I am!"

Well, just to cite some famous non-genre literature, it's not like The Sound and the Fury or The Grapes of Wrath don't trample over hope to greater extents (more so since they aren't set in a fictional world). There will always be writers who prefer that style. Everyone should write their own way; it's bad to copy the same tropes that others are all doing, but not good either to compromise your own ideas just because it happens to be "popular" right now.

CB_Tube_Knight
May 11, 2011

Red Head Enthusiast
I write exclusively in the modern fantasy genre and I think that the fact people are so keen to copy others is a blessing for me. The ideas I have aren't the standard stuff I keep running into when I'm reading, but I don't think they're unique or really far out there either. They're just not often done.

It seems that fantasy of any kind isn't really popular in here or the norm, at least from the replies I'm seeing, but it's not all terrible and there are folks out there trying new stuff.

That Osama novel someone suggested further up has my interests piqued already. I recently read a short story by Richard Matheson called "The Likeness of Julie" and that has me rethinking some of my characters.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.

CB_Tube_Knight posted:

I write exclusively in the modern fantasy genre and I think that the fact people are so keen to copy others is a blessing for me. The ideas I have aren't the standard stuff I keep running into when I'm reading, but I don't think they're unique or really far out there either. They're just not often done.

It seems that fantasy of any kind isn't really popular in here or the norm, at least from the replies I'm seeing, but it's not all terrible and there are folks out there trying new stuff.

That Osama novel someone suggested further up has my interests piqued already. I recently read a short story by Richard Matheson called "The Likeness of Julie" and that has me rethinking some of my characters.

I dig urban/modern fantasy and things with their own unique or interesting flair.

I just think a lot of us who surround ourselves with a lot of aspects of the general writing community are just affected by the sheer amount of derivative Tolkein-esque high fantasy out there. Reading pieces over and over in class that are so similar that it's like being trapped in some nightmarish Groundhog day. And the worst part is that the people who write that sort of stuff are usually the most close-minded when it comes to criticism and feedback.

CB_Tube_Knight
May 11, 2011

Red Head Enthusiast

PoshAlligator posted:

I dig urban/modern fantasy and things with their own unique or interesting flair.

I just think a lot of us who surround ourselves with a lot of aspects of the general writing community are just affected by the sheer amount of derivative Tolkein-esque high fantasy out there. Reading pieces over and over in class that are so similar that it's like being trapped in some nightmarish Groundhog day. And the worst part is that the people who write that sort of stuff are usually the most close-minded when it comes to criticism and feedback.

I remember you read some of my stuff before and gave me helpful feedback.

To be honest I don't know what's better, here in the states you're not allowed to bring fantasy type stuff to classes in most college level courses I've heard of. It seems restrictive, but then again I see how it would be loving awful to sit through some girl reading her Twilight fan fiction that she's simply filed the serial numbers off of. Or someone writing bland sword and sorcery week after week that features the apostrophe as the twenty-seventh letter of it's alphabet.

Are you working on anything big currently?

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

CB_Tube_Knight posted:

I remember you read some of my stuff before and gave me helpful feedback.

To be honest I don't know what's better, here in the states you're not allowed to bring fantasy type stuff to classes in most college level courses I've heard of. It seems restrictive, but then again I see how it would be loving awful to sit through some girl reading her Twilight fan fiction that she's simply filed the serial numbers off of. Or someone writing bland sword and sorcery week after week that features the apostrophe as the twenty-seventh letter of it's alphabet.

Are you working on anything big currently?

I'm in my final year of university for Creative Writing now so we often don't really have any restrictions to what we bring in to workshop of our various projects for classes. Previous were more like for trying out different stuff so they'd ask you to give a script a try even if you didn't really want to and that sort of thing. But, even though it's so open now, people still don't always bring in work. What a waste.

But yeah I'm in a novel writing class and have been actually doing the work so I'm getting in a big project, thanks for asking! It's an alternative historical 19th century sort of pulp adventure / mystery / fantasy thing. It's got elements of steampunk but I'm not actually a massive steampunk fan so I'm hoping it's not too cliche. Holmsesian elements, Lovecraftian elements: a big mix. While it's adventurey I'm also looking to tackle some issues of what it's like to return from a terrible war (like, an exaggerated and more bloody version of both Boer Wars combined), and also to look at the place of women in society at the time. But it's also fun. I mean, it's like whatever. I'm only 11k or so in though I have a mostly complete outline of everything.

It's been fun to take on a novel project actually as I've always stayed away from it. I've really gotten used to thinking about it and structuring and just cracking on.

quote:

Or someone writing bland sword and sorcery week after week that features the apostrophe as the twenty-seventh letter of it's alphabet

But yes I have had to deal with this.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

CB_Tube_Knight posted:

features the apostrophe as the twenty-seventh letter of it's alphabet.

loving this

CB_Tube_Knight
May 11, 2011

Red Head Enthusiast

PoshAlligator posted:

I'm in my final year of university for Creative Writing now so we often don't really have any restrictions to what we bring in to workshop of our various projects for classes. Previous were more like for trying out different stuff so they'd ask you to give a script a try even if you didn't really want to and that sort of thing. But, even though it's so open now, people still don't always bring in work. What a waste.

But yeah I'm in a novel writing class and have been actually doing the work so I'm getting in a big project, thanks for asking! It's an alternative historical 19th century sort of pulp adventure / mystery / fantasy thing. It's got elements of steampunk but I'm not actually a massive steampunk fan so I'm hoping it's not too cliche. Holmsesian elements, Lovecraftian elements: a big mix. While it's adventurey I'm also looking to tackle some issues of what it's like to return from a terrible war (like, an exaggerated and more bloody version of both Boer Wars combined), and also to look at the place of women in society at the time. But it's also fun. I mean, it's like whatever. I'm only 11k or so in though I have a mostly complete outline of everything.

It's been fun to take on a novel project actually as I've always stayed away from it. I've really gotten used to thinking about it and structuring and just cracking on.

But yes I have had to deal with this.

I'm trying to avoid going too far into novel length territory right now. I don't think it was working out for me all that well in terms of editing and I wanted to do something shorter and more manageable. I shifted my stuff closer to a kind of Lovecraftian horror, especially in terms of the enemies. I'm not sure how much of that is out there these days, but I've always like the idea of it. Your thing sounds pretty interesting. All of the elements you've named thus far make it sound pretty awesome. Especially the light steampunk overtones and the Lovecraft stuff.

I doubt I have the chops for re-imagining history very well.

When I had a creative writing class we were lucky enough that most of the people in it didn't have much of a writing background so we got a lot of personal stories or just kind of strange general tales about on the fly characters. We had one guy who somehow turned everything into a script writing assignment. All of them were generic World War II stories about a ragtag group of home heroes over seas in the European theater. Oh and they also had a gruff seasoned commander barking orders at them. Plot twist!

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

CB_Tube_Knight posted:

- In terms of magic, it seems to me that the magic is mysterious and never given hard fast rules. It's not used by the main heroes either, mostly.
- Elves tend to behave like yuppies, Dwarves tend to be blue collar working types from mines and forges. These things are rarely deviated from and when they are it's a big deal (artistic outcast dwarf, city elf, etc).
- Orcs, Orcs everywhere.

Another thing that seems to be in these kinds of books is the type of black and white good versus evil idea that someone can be deemed completely evil based on their race or religion or other things like that. Though I guess that's not different from real world thought.

Because of the popularity of the HBO show and the novels now, I worry that we're going to have to wade through ASOFAI clones for the next twenty years or so. I gave up on the books already and the show is wearing thin on me.

- Magic being mysterious with no hard and fast rules is usually the default. I think it should be. Howard did it before Tolkien in his Conan stories, and it always worked great. Harry Potter et al with formulaic "magicus abracadabrus" gets pretty trite after a while.
- Agree completely with the generic Snooty Nature Boy Elves and Tough Stolid Blacksmith Dwarf stereotype being boring as hell. Along with the typical Orc/Ork races, all of that is just a lazy writer's crutch. Here's a whole race of people who are exactly the same so I never have to bother with characterization or nuances or factions or politics or any of those bothersome interesting things. Hero's riding into a village and there're a bunch of those motherfuckin orcs running around! Time to slay some fools. It's boring and lovely, but when you're a kid it seems cool. That's why these books still sell. Kids, and adults who don't want to grow up in the way they read.

The poo poo about races ties into the black/white good/evil poo poo. I hate that too. It's just as lazy, boring, and lovely. ALL orcs are evil. ALL elves are good, but they're also ALL assholes. Why bother with complex motivations and moral dilemmas when you can just say, well, these guys are all bad, and these guys are all good?

I'm kinda getting sick of everyone bashing ASOFAI (sic) all the time around here. It's like it's the popular thing to do because the books are popular, and all of us cool-rear end goons are edgy, iconoclastic rebels, man. Martin has his strengths and weaknesses, but the man can spin a story. Most of us wish we could come up with the complexity of plot and character relationships that he can. If you don't like grimdark stuff or violence or main character death or whatever, that's fine. Read something else.

CB_Tube_Knight posted:

From posts and stories, I'm gonna go ahead and say probably 80% of the CC posters love fantasy. Everyone just downs on it because so much of it is bad and nobody wants to actually admit that they like it, both good and bad. That and because so many people in CC post fantasy stories, everyone's sick of seeing it.

crabrock posted:

loving this

:haw:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Martello posted:

I'm kinda getting sick of everyone bashing ASOFAI (sic) all the time around here. It's like it's the popular thing to do because the books are popular, and all of us cool-rear end goons are edgy, iconoclastic rebels, man. Martin has his strengths and weaknesses, but the man can spin a story. Most of us wish we could come up with the complexity of plot and character relationships that he can. If you don't like grimdark stuff or violence or main character death or whatever, that's fine. Read something else.

Extra hint: preferably something finished.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

I actually dig Game of Thrones (I forgot the title of the series), though I've only made it through the first two books as they're pretty chunky. I like how it's pretty different, and I like how it skips battle scenes and it's more about character and politics. Though I hear he actually writes more battles as it goes on or something? I'm not a big fan of battles.

CB_Tube_Knight posted:

I'm trying to avoid going too far into novel length territory right now. I don't think it was working out for me all that well in terms of editing and I wanted to do something shorter and more manageable. I shifted my stuff closer to a kind of Lovecraftian horror, especially in terms of the enemies. I'm not sure how much of that is out there these days, but I've always like the idea of it. Your thing sounds pretty interesting. All of the elements you've named thus far make it sound pretty awesome. Especially the light steampunk overtones and the Lovecraft stuff.

I doubt I have the chops for re-imagining history very well.

When I had a creative writing class we were lucky enough that most of the people in it didn't have much of a writing background so we got a lot of personal stories or just kind of strange general tales about on the fly characters. We had one guy who somehow turned everything into a script writing assignment. All of them were generic World War II stories about a ragtag group of home heroes over seas in the European theater. Oh and they also had a gruff seasoned commander barking orders at them. Plot twist!

Yeah, it's a bit difficult to devote yourself to a big project, but I'm really breaking it down a lot to help me get over it, which is one of the main things I've learned. I'm a jumpy writer anyway so I go from chapter to chapter a lot, and I'll worry about the seams later.

I think what's drawn to me to alternative historical this time is both being able to inject some lurid fantasy elements into it (sometimes I have to just say "Ancient Egyptian magic beyond our understanding"), and also it allows for some exaggeration of actual historical situations and problems. I think for instance you can examine some of the bad effects of industrialisation by making it more exaggerated, for instance, and that's something I find interesting about that sort of steampunk stuff.

We used to get quite a few people writing personal stories, but it got a little dull as a lot of them hadn't had many experiences so we ended up just reading a lot of people going through the same boring events of their lives. So many virginity losing stories.

Definitely more interesting this year, even if I have to cope with generic fantasy #1098.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

A thing that is frustrating me: I'm almost a third of the way through my first novel. It should be finished in the next six weeks at most. I've got Spring Break coming up to really go at it and get a ton of words written. I have already decided what the second novel is going to be about. The one I'm writing now is about a family on a vacation. The next one is going to be in a more popular fiction style of fast paced, story driven thriller and intrigue. Totally different stuff. But the frustrating part is that I cannot turn off the idea fountain that is in my brain for the next book. So much so that I think it's going to be more fun to write, more fun for others to read, and just all around better and more focused. There's no way I'm going to quit working on my current project, so I just wish I could stop thinking so much about the next one.

It's probably just because the next one is an abstract thing, so there's nothing difficult about it, while the one I'm doing now is actually a real task that is challenging, so it is less appealing. The grass is greener, etc.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

blue squares posted:

A thing that is frustrating me: I'm almost a third of the way through my first novel. It should be finished in the next six weeks at most. I've got Spring Break coming up to really go at it and get a ton of words written. I have already decided what the second novel is going to be about. The one I'm writing now is about a family on a vacation. The next one is going to be in a more popular fiction style of fast paced, story driven thriller and intrigue. Totally different stuff. But the frustrating part is that I cannot turn off the idea fountain that is in my brain for the next book. So much so that I think it's going to be more fun to write, more fun for others to read, and just all around better and more focused. There's no way I'm going to quit working on my current project, so I just wish I could stop thinking so much about the next one.

It's probably just because the next one is an abstract thing, so there's nothing difficult about it, while the one I'm doing now is actually a real task that is challenging, so it is less appealing. The grass is greener, etc.

Your analysis is probably correct. Those initial ideas are so great, but with any project, especially long form, there's going to have to be a time when you just work through it.

Are you working to a strict clock with your first novel? If not, you could always divide time between the two -- power through the tough bits of #1 while coasting the fun honeymoon period for #2.

Obviously keep notes like crazy. Catch those idea drops like a bucket man in a fountain in a public space, splashing about and making young children confused.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Yeah, if you've got inspiration for Book 2, then write down notes - scenes, maybe some bits of dialogue, maybe even a broad outline of it if you have enough. Obviously you are going to have to finish the first book, but if it's at all reasonable, don't let ideas drift away just to force yourself to work on the last parts of Book 1.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Yeah, thanks guys. I just started a new document to jot down some of the things that have been running through my mind. I also made up a quick division of five acts and what will be in each one. I know pretty much everything that will happen in 1-3, and the details of the last two just have to be worked out. I have a feeling that by the time I start (the day after typing THE END in book 1), my fingers will just be trying to keep up for the first week or two.

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"
I agree. Start a file/notebook/whatever for project 2 and start writing stuff down. That will get it out of your head so you can (hopefully) work on book 1, but also save it for when book 2 starts.

Also if you are like me, you will realize that the many ideas you have are just the same few ideas popping up again and again :(

Edit: the good news for me is that writing down those ideas makes room for new ones, and so on.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Hey guys, my first short story just got published! I learned a lot here on SA. Thanks. Here's a link to the journal: http://www.amazon.com/Tincture-Jour...incture+journal

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

blue squares posted:

Hey guys, my first short story just got published! I learned a lot here on SA. Thanks. Here's a link to the journal: http://www.amazon.com/Tincture-Jour...incture+journal

Congratulations! It's a great feeling, that validation. Makes you feel like you're moving in the right direction.

But--and this is the important thing--don't stop writing. In fact, you should get drunk to celebrate and start writing tonight, because it's Friday and you can take the hangover tomorrow. And keep your sending your stories out!

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

How much do you prep before starting writing? Like I have some general themes and ideas for the characters of a story, but the story arcs and locations of the book are not set at all. Should I have an outline of all the chapters before I starting writing the first word of the introduction?

I also have a problem with throwing out pretty much every idea because it's not loving groundbreaking Issac Asimov stuff. I know you don't need to be a goddamn genre bending genius to write a book, but I feel like if I'm not doing mind-blowing poo poo I should just go home.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
This is the least helpful answer in the world, but whatever works for you. Some people can't get a story to completion without having a full outline. Some people just dive right in and would go bats having it all laid out in advance. There's no real way to be sure until you've hosed it up. My best suggestion is just to write down what you know, then see where that takes you. If it goes nowhere without a plan, well, you'll know you need to outline more.

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

always seeking to survive and flourish

Nitrousoxide posted:

How much do you prep before starting writing? Like I have some general themes and ideas for the characters of a story, but the story arcs and locations of the book are not set at all. Should I have an outline of all the chapters before I starting writing the first word of the introduction?

The answer is: it depends. Not only from author to author, but even from book to book. Every novel I've written has been planned and executed differently; you just have to go with what works, not only for you, but for each individual project. Like neongrey said, you'll just have to start with one or the other, and adjust as your needs and workflow beome more apparent.

quote:

I also have a problem with throwing out pretty much every idea because it's not loving groundbreaking Issac Asimov stuff. I know you don't need to be a goddamn genre bending genius to write a book, but I feel like if I'm not doing mind-blowing poo poo I should just go home.

A terrible idea that gets parlayed into an actual, complete novel has a real chance at being successful. (We've all seen them.) A "brilliant" idea has no value--and no chance of success--so long as it only floats around in your brain.

Don't worry about the quality of your 'ideas'. Sit down and do the work.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
Chillmatic is back!

CB_Tube_Knight
May 11, 2011

Red Head Enthusiast

Martello posted:

- Magic being mysterious with no hard and fast rules is usually the default. I think it should be. Howard did it before Tolkien in his Conan stories, and it always worked great. Harry Potter et al with formulaic "magicus abracadabrus" gets pretty trite after a while.
- Agree completely with the generic Snooty Nature Boy Elves and Tough Stolid Blacksmith Dwarf stereotype being boring as hell. Along with the typical Orc/Ork races, all of that is just a lazy writer's crutch. Here's a whole race of people who are exactly the same so I never have to bother with characterization or nuances or factions or politics or any of those bothersome interesting things. Hero's riding into a village and there're a bunch of those motherfuckin orcs running around! Time to slay some fools. It's boring and lovely, but when you're a kid it seems cool. That's why these books still sell. Kids, and adults who don't want to grow up in the way they read.

I would say that when you're just starting out and it's some of the first stuff that you read it seems awesome, regardless of age. But when you're going into it for the millionth time and you can easily predict the behaviors of the orcs and of the wizard that inevitably controls them it's just tired.

I kind of like magic to have rules. I at least want to know what magic can and can't do. Can you bring someone back from the dead? Can you outright kill someone with a spell? That sort of thing. The rules don't have to be things like exactly how it works, but they need to be hard limits.

Martello posted:

The poo poo about races ties into the black/white good/evil poo poo. I hate that too. It's just as lazy, boring, and lovely. ALL orcs are evil. ALL elves are good, but they're also ALL assholes. Why bother with complex motivations and moral dilemmas when you can just say, well, these guys are all bad, and these guys are all good?

I'm so tired of it I stopped even allowing it in my D&D games. If someone wants to argue that all X are supposed to be this or that I'll tell them where the door is.

Martello posted:

I think I started doing so for a different reason. The original thing I first heard about the books and what made me not want to read them was how everyone talked about how awesome it was that they featured incest and rape. I'm a firm believer in the fans of something having the power to make you hate it, even if you would have liked it. It's happened to me twice now (with seasons 2-4 Doctor Who and possibly with ASOFAI). I'm not the hate on popular books because they got popular type, but I will get tired of hearing about trivial bullshit that doesn't capture the depth of what's happening and I think it can partially be blamed on the writing.

But I do get how you can be tired of hearing people complain about "awful" books and how they're ruining writing. I get so tired of people acting like Twilight has sullied all of fiction.

Martello posted:

From posts and stories, I'm gonna go ahead and say probably 80% of the CC posters love fantasy. Everyone just downs on it because so much of it is bad and nobody wants to actually admit that they like it, both good and bad. That and because so many people in CC post fantasy stories, everyone's sick of seeing it.

I guess I tend to be in here in very short bursts, but I will probably be sticking around more.

PoshAlligator posted:

I actually dig Game of Thrones (I forgot the title of the series), though I've only made it through the first two books as they're pretty chunky. I like how it's pretty different, and I like how it skips battle scenes and it's more about character and politics. Though I hear he actually writes more battles as it goes on or something? I'm not a big fan of battles.

I quit midway through the second book because I wasn't seeing enough of the people I liked to keep me going. But I know tons of spoilers because I just didn't care enough to wait.

PoshAlligator posted:

Yeah, it's a bit difficult to devote yourself to a big project, but I'm really breaking it down a lot to help me get over it, which is one of the main things I've learned. I'm a jumpy writer anyway so I go from chapter to chapter a lot, and I'll worry about the seams later.

I can't hop around at all; I can go back and add things in if they're needed. Everything I do has to be written in order and to add something I have to go back and read a few pages up to it.

PoshAlligator posted:

I think what's drawn to me to alternative historical this time is both being able to inject some lurid fantasy elements into it (sometimes I have to just say "Ancient Egyptian magic beyond our understanding"), and also it allows for some exaggeration of actual historical situations and problems. I think for instance you can examine some of the bad effects of industrialisation by making it more exaggerated, for instance, and that's something I find interesting about that sort of steampunk stuff.

I remember one of the radical alternative histories I wanted to do was an atom bomb being used during the Civil War on the South and what that would have caused. The scope of it seemed to big and the leap from where the atom bomb happened back to the time of the Civil War seemed really, really hard to justify.

PoshAlligator posted:

We used to get quite a few people writing personal stories, but it got a little dull as a lot of them hadn't had many experiences so we ended up just reading a lot of people going through the same boring events of their lives. So many virginity losing stories.

One of my friends seems to exclusively write kinky rape stories. I'm beginning to wonder what it is that draws her to them and why she's so into them. I guess you could claim it's like anything else someone writes, but it still seems like an odd choice given the subject matter.

systran posted:

Chillmatic is back!

Yay, more people I remember. Mostly because of the avatar with that worm from Richard Scary.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

e: nvm

Djeser fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Mar 3, 2014

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Nitrousoxide posted:

I find Asimov to be an OK writer and his stories are mostly an outlet for his ideas. Almost all of his work is dialogue driven (not that most stories aren't I dont think I've articulated this point very well) and some of the dialogue is frankly kind of exhausting in its redundancy (I just finished the Foundation series) but the ideas and very logical/scientific way the citizens in his universe act are intriguing to me and keep me going.

I think his short stories are his best work even though a lot of them lead to a clever ending/pun.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

blue squares posted:

Post in the thread which needs more love!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3512062&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

CB_Tube_Knight
May 11, 2011

Red Head Enthusiast
I need to get to work so I can post in that thread.

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

"It's video games, Scully."
Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."
Should be alright to ask this here: I'm writing basically programmer fantasy, and while I'm a bit of a programmer it's a rather small bit, and not in the area that the story needs. Where can I ask? I look longingly at the SH/SC subforum, but the rules there are kind of discouraging of random bullshit like that, and there aren't any fitting threads for my question.

Also if I spend any more time thinking if it's an appropriate question for this thread, I'm going to become a redhead enthusiast myself. So here.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

What is programmer fantasy?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

The Saddest Rhino posted:

The Wizardry Consulted, by Rick Cook. A programmer is sucked into a fantasy world of elves and poo poo and learns that he can use programming skills to program magic in subroutines and stuff, and becomes the world's most best wizard because he is able to make magic programs instead of brute forcing fireballs.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Programmer fantasy: a brilliant young hacker in Old Neo-Tokyo-2 clicks the compile button and his rendered file is bug-free.

Fantasy.

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.
Hey do you guys have / know about a centralized list of Web sites that accept general submissions? I've been writing some stuff basically for fun and would like to submit a few places assuming it fits their style. I don't know if you guys do that in here or just workshop stuff. Well thanks.

edit: Maybe this isn't even the right place to ask because it's for fiction and I'm doing more like essay stuff, oops.

Keven. Just. Keven fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Mar 5, 2014

SuBeCo
Jun 19, 2005
Amazing... Simply amazing...
Try http://thegrinder.diabolicalplots.com/ maybe?

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.
I'll take a look through that, thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

"It's video games, Scully."
Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."

Whalley posted:

The Wizardry Consulted, by Rick Cook. A programmer is sucked into a fantasy world of elves and poo poo and learns that he can use programming skills to program magic in subroutines and stuff, and becomes the world's most best wizard because he is able to make magic programs instead of brute forcing fireballs.

Dang, I slept right through it. But that's basically it... Oh, that's the series that inspired me to try this contrivancy again, because some of the reviews on goodreads said that it seemed as if the author wasn't that good at computers actually. And here I am, with my question. :downs:

Maybe it would be more honest to say that it's some reviews of the series that inspired me.

• Locked thread