Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Is Codex: LotD out yet? I'm seeing the warlord traits and stuff online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

Ghost Hand posted:

Negative.

Under the guise of mustering to go take on a massive Ork infestation, the Word Bearers betray the Ultramarines at Calth, destroying the systems star, irradiating the shipyards and system, and crippling the Ultramarines ability to travel by summoning a massive warpstorm which effectively isolates the 500 worlds from the rest of the Imperium.

Ultramarines are rad.

But this makes the Word Bearers sound like they are the ones who own?

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

Is Codex: LotD out yet? I'm seeing the warlord traits and stuff online.

Yep, it bravely continues the trend of releasing a codex containing a single unit.

You can take LotD detachments of 1-4 squads. If you choose them as the primary detachment, they count as scoring and one sergeant can be warlord. As for the models themselves, they're 25pt marines with a bunch of special rules:

Fear / Fearless
3++ Invulns
All ranged attacks have Ignores Cover
Slow and Purposeful
Must start in reserve and arrive by deep-strike. Can re-roll scatter dice.

One sergeant can take the Animus Malorum:

quote:

The bearer and all Legionnaire models in his unit have the Feel No Pain special rule.
Furthermore, whenever an enemy unit fails a Fear, Pinning or Morale check within 12” of
the bearer, one randomly determined model in that unit is immediately removed as a
casualty with no saves of any kind allowed (though Look Out, Sir rolls can be taken as
normal). For each model slain in this manner, the bearer’s unit receives a +1 modifier to
their Feel No Pain rolls (to a maximum of 2+) until the end of the player turn.

There's a couple of scenarios for them and an Apoc formation with extra rules, but that's pretty much the whole codex summarised in a few lines.

Edit: I just noticed there's no restriction on weapons vs squad size. So a 5-man squad can have a special and a heavy weapon plus sergeant combi-weapon (all of which benefit from Ignores Cover). Not terrible for ~150pts. Give them a meltagun, multi-melta and combi-melta and deep strike away.

xtothez fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Mar 2, 2014

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Ghost Hand posted:

This is not quite why.

The Red Helmet was a mark of Censure for an Ultramarine who had been deemed a "problem". Sgt Thiel, prior to the attack on Calth had been marked for censure as a result of daring to propose that Space Marines should train to fight against other Space Marines. This was deemed unthinkable by the powers that be at the time and so he was "in trouble for it".

His thinking was that Space Marines were the greatest warriors in the galaxy and therefore they should train to fight against the best.

During the invasion, aboard the Primarch Flagship, he was able to rescue several of the Ultramarine leadership and during a conversation there he was asked why he was under censure. He responded stating that it was for proposing training to fight against fellow Adeptus Astartes. I believe the response is something akin to "Well that [putting him under censure] seems pretty silly now. Doesn't it?"

Since then, the red helmet ultimately signifies marines who are able to "Think outside the box" and demonstrate foresight and leadership potential.

The best thing was that the entire purpose of that character is to be a clear and direct invitation from a proper author to every writer at GW (and B&C etc) who is too stupid and or hacky to understand what the gently caress the Codex is meant to be, despite it always having been clearly described in a way that a child should be able to comprehend, to gently caress off.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Ghost Hand posted:

I wanted to post some pictures to demonstrate why narrative games just rock the socks off of tournament style play....

The gate lights up and pulsates (as well as changes color). You can see a short video of it on our Facebook page.

Example of the board I was playing on. The gate in the middle led to the center board with the glowing gate.

City terrain on another board involved in the event.

Reece Robbins Necrons I was facing.

The gate has changed color...

LoTD Sgt fighting like a boss. Killed Trayzan (SP) The Infinite in close combat.

View from one of my Storm Talons trying to support my losing battle...

Ultramarines Defensive position

Individualized player packets for all 16 players in the event.

Warhammer 40k done RIGHT!

More pictures and a short video here:

https://www.facebook.com/theindependentcharacters

If you haven't covered this type of event and how to organize it, on your podcast you are a fool. If you have and I just missed it, I am a fool.

Ask the guy(s) running it if they would be willing to share their notes with us here.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Indolent Bastard posted:

If you haven't covered this type of event and how to organize it, on your podcast you are a fool. If you have and I just missed it, I am a fool.

Ask the guy(s) running it if they would be willing to share their notes with us here.

We have had them on multiple times. This is the G3 Santa Cruz group...

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Any recommendations on the best store to play at in Chicago area or the best gaming group?

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

ANAmal.net posted:

But this makes the Word Bearers sound like they are the ones who own?

They do too... That's why they are my 30k army of choice!

However The Ultramarines repel The Word Bearers at Calth even after being put on their back footing during the surprise attack.... Good Lord man! Have you not read "Know No Fear"?

I don't care what others think (SRM is with me here *high five*), it's a great book full of heroic and dastardly scenes in equal number!

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

Apollodorus posted:

Okay, cool. I was definitely thinking of the Razorback carrying the 5-man squad, to maneuver around and shoot from a different angle. I take your point on bikes and speeders - I don't really like the idea of having them much myself.

Really? Looking at the Codex now it says that up to 2 SM in the squad may replace their bolt pistol with a plasma pistol, and that the sergeant may take a melee weapon. Also it says the sergeant can take--AH, right, a combat shield, not a storm shield. That's what you were talking about right?

Interesting thought on expanding the crusader squad. I think the Land Raider is a bigger vehicle than I would want to bring to this kind of battle, which is maybe 750pts. Right now I have about 500pts of BT. So, yeah, maybe add 10 neophytes for 100pts and put the Champion in there (he's not in the list as it stands). That would keep me well under the $75 limit, but it would still mean no vehicles. Maybe a BT army with no vehicles is the truest BT army?

You are correct about the Combat Shield.

On a table that is only 4'x4', a land raider might be too much. Maybe. Like I would probably still bring mine anyway if the game was at least 1,000 points. If you're playing UNDER that value, I would understand leaving it out. BUT KNOW THIS. If you are building a Black Templars force, and you don't have a Land Raider Crusader, YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG. (:black101:)

Be wary of the 20 mans on foot as well. Yes, it looks scary at the beginning of the game, but in reality, that unit is going to be taking a shitload of hits before it reaches anything, because nobody wants to see that assault their stuff. You will basically be spending 100 points on neophytes to act as a meat shield for your initiates (using the majority toughness rule to give them T4, admittedly). Such a large and expensive unit in a <1k game taking a lot of hits without being able to say, shoot back (pistols and short range assault weapon) without somebody there to help them get where they need to go is a bad idea imo.

So don't forget about your regular scouts! Get a 5 man squad of those lightly armored rascals and a land speeder storm to put them in, blind and assault some peeps while your real heavy hitters run screaming across the table. You'll be able to purchase a second squad to turn into neophytes to buff up your blob squad as well, and still keep it in your price range.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Land Raider Crusader is definitely on the docket, but I am trying to not go TOO crazy with Warhams at the moment since I still have 2 1/2 Tau tanks that need to be painted. Then again, Deviant still hasn't unloaded his from SA-Mart, so....

Basically, what I am looking for is to build up a small-medium BT force that will be balanced against Tau and also against Eldar (totally forgot I have an unassembled Eldar battleforce plus that bunch of :krad: RT/2E Eldar) so I can play short-ish casual games with my coworkers over the summer as an alternative to MTG or X-Wing.

So, I'll keep thinking about it, maybe put together a list or three for y'all's approval.

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.

xtothez posted:

Yep, it bravely continues the trend of releasing a codex containing a single unit.

You can take LotD detachments of 1-4 squads. If you choose them as the primary detachment, they count as scoring and one sergeant can be warlord. As for the models themselves, they're 25pt marines with a bunch of special rules:

Fear / Fearless
3++ Invulns
All ranged attacks have Ignores Cover
Slow and Purposeful
Must start in reserve and arrive by deep-strike. Can re-roll scatter dice.

One sergeant can take the Animus Malorum:

There's a couple of scenarios for them and an Apoc formation with extra rules, but that's pretty much the whole codex summarised in a few lines.

Edit: I just noticed there's no restriction on weapons vs squad size. So a 5-man squad can have a special and a heavy weapon plus sergeant combi-weapon (all of which benefit from Ignores Cover). Not terrible for ~150pts. Give them a meltagun, multi-melta and combi-melta and deep strike away.

They can be primary and troops. But no HQ? Does not fill required FOC then?

Also, you start everything in normal reserve then you loose game turn one since you have been tabled.

There must be something else we are missing.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Ghost Hand posted:

We have had them on multiple times. This is the G3 Santa Cruz group...

Yes, but have they spoken explicitly about the type of set up that you played?

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

WhiteOutMouse posted:

Also, you start everything in normal reserve then you loose game turn one since you have been tabled.

There must be something else we are missing.

They have their own FOC of 1-4 Elites, nothing else.

There is a warlord trait that let's you deep strike on Turn 1, but obviously that isn't guaranteed. Without it, taking just a primary detachment of them and nothing else does automatically lose. However that will be pretty tough in itself as the army is capped at around 1000pts by the FOC.
It's pretty clear the intention is for LotD forces to fight alongside allies from another codex, as that's how they operate in the fluff (showing up to save the day).

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
What's the best method nowadays for buying bits given the whole moratorium on bits in stores? Are there any online retailers, or am I stuck with eBay? Or, perhaps, should I set up a thread in SA-Mart and link it here?

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Ghost Hand posted:

I don't care what others think (SRM is with me here *high five*), it's a great book full of heroic and dastardly scenes in equal number!

Definitely a fun read that shows what the Word Bearers are capable of once they get down to business. Would have worked too, except for Kor Phaeron being a jealous little girl.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

PantsOptional posted:

What's the best method nowadays for buying bits given the whole moratorium on bits in stores? Are there any online retailers, or am I stuck with eBay? Or, perhaps, should I set up a thread in SA-Mart and link it here?

I ordered from here before, but it was a couple years ago before they banned the practice, so I don't know if they work any differently now.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Sadly, Hoard doesn't seem to have some of the newer items like Vanguard Veterans bits, which is what I'm looking for. I may use them to get some heavy weapons, though...

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hoardobits also sells on eBay and there are one or two other major bits settlers still active on eBay.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

WhiteOutMouse posted:

If I remember right the Legion of the Damned doesn't have any captains or other leaders left over. All they have are sergeants and it looks like GW carried that over to their rules. I'm not really sure what I expected out of this supplement, but this one seems kind of lame. At least it's not $30+ and it lets the Legion work with armies other than straight-up codex marines.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
I've seen it mentioned but not compared, but here is a shot of the knight bases with the flyer oval base

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

xtothez posted:

They have their own FOC of 1-4 Elites, nothing else.

There is a warlord trait that let's you deep strike on Turn 1, but obviously that isn't guaranteed. Without it, taking just a primary detachment of them and nothing else does automatically lose. However that will be pretty tough in itself as the army is capped at around 1000pts by the FOC.
It's pretty clear the intention is for LotD forces to fight alongside allies from another codex, as that's how they operate in the fluff (showing up to save the day).

If the units HAVE to start in reserve, then you wouldnt auto lose. Its in the rulebook.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Big Willy Style posted:

I've seen it mentioned but not compared, but here is a shot of the knight bases with the flyer oval base

The big base is the knight base?

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

thiswayliesmadness posted:

Now that should be interesting! I do like their card mechanics and they make some cool models, though they need to set a proper scale and stop using such thin legs that just ask to snap off. Hope they keep the random deck mechanics for it since that adds a nice extra strategy layer instead of getting dicked by the dice gods.

Just noticed Steam has "Warhammer 40,000: Storm of Vengeance (BETA)" up now. Apparently the 'legendary planetary conflict on Piscina IV' was 4 lines of guys marching towards another 4 lines of guys?

Reading some reviews and looking at some online gameplay videos it looks pretty bad.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

Booley posted:

The big base is the knight base?

Yep

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

serious gaylord posted:

If the units HAVE to start in reserve, then you wouldnt auto lose. Its in the rulebook.

Units that must start in reserve are an exception to the "can only put half your units in reserve" restriction. I don't see anything that lets them bypass this:

BRB pg122 posted:

If one player concedes the battle, or his entire army is wiped out, the game ends and a crushing victory goes to his opponent. Likewise, if at the end of any game turn, one player has no models on the battlefield, his opponent automatically wins.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.
Holy gently caress, knights. Had a 500 pt game with no FOC this weekend. My 2 friends brought their knights, my wife brought Wazdakka and biker nob retinue, and I rolled with a Mega Dread, 2 deff dreads, and 3 killa kans. We got tabled by a knight, my sister's Eldar Wraithknight, my brother's rear end in a top hat bloodthirsters, and a few regular dreads.

The Knights can krump the poo poo out of whatever walks their way, by and large, but they cannot handle each other. One D-weapon-ed the other, and the titanic explosion knocked the last HP off of the attacker, so it also detonated. It was pretty badass. Meanwhile, the bloodthirsters used their I9 to great effect; only 1 was vaporized in the explosion. I received an object lesson in just how superior MCs are to walkers :(.

My brother and our buddy then offered to grab me a Squiggoth for chuckles :getin:

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007

Indolent Bastard posted:

Yes, but have they spoken explicitly about the type of set up that you played?

Yes. They are the gaming group where one of the organisers of the campaign is ex US Army Int Corps so does military style briefings. They do an ongoing campaign with big battle days to move the story forward where numerous tables are used and these are interlinked with objectives on certain tables so that the spaceship battle occurs with access to the facility to bombard the planet side tables etc.
I think there is a specific episode on running a campaign that talks to the G3 guys.

It is the kind if setup we all wish was near us. I am a medical officer in the army but that means the most I can offer is a medical estimate and a legitimate DNBI management plan. D&V management in the 41st Millenium yeah!

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Big Willy Style posted:

drat, that is big.

serious gaylord posted:

Xtothez is right. If you don't have models on the table at the end of a game turn for any reason, you lose. My Necron playing friend forgot this once and had over 500 points of scythes and immortals fly off the table into ongoing reserve. I wiped the few models he had left on the table in the bottom of the turn and won in 4 turns by destroying less than 2/3rds of his army.

PeterWeller fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Mar 2, 2014

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
Basically, if you're going to put your entire army in reserve, you need to have some units that arrive turn 1. This can be done, and even done effectively, with drop pod armies. A player at my FLGS does this with all infantry in drop pods, plus some flyers. I saw him run it against Eldar waveserpant spam and he took out three of them before the Eldar player even had a turn.

Two Feet From Bread
Apr 20, 2009

I'm. A. Fucking. Nazi.

please punch me in the face
i love it
give it to me daddy
College Slice
Went into my FLGS today and picked up my 3rd Crone/Harpy, a box of gargoyles, and ordered a second box of gargoyles. All in preparation of the new Tyranid Dataslate.

I also need to pick up some more biovores.

When does the dataslate come out? Black Library keeps saying it is still on pre-order status.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me
It's out, you can buy it if you click preorder. All of the normal options are available for all units and unit size is similarly normal except when specified. Objective Secured only works on the Gargoyles in the formation so I would bulk them out a bit. I said I would buy a Tyranid army if they got scoring Gargoyles and these are even better than scoring so I guess I'm heading to the digestive pool soon.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
So how do people consider WH30K relative to 40K? If I show up with a HH army will that be mocked? My buddy showed me the HH book and it looks like there's finally a way I could do Iron Warriors without them being a joke.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
30k armies aren't really well-balanced for 40k. I don't know if they're 40k legit either.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

So how do people consider WH30K relative to 40K? If I show up with a HH army will that be mocked? My buddy showed me the HH book and it looks like there's finally a way I could do Iron Warriors without them being a joke.

Edit: misread that, I are dumb.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Until 2k points you're basically at a disadvantage compared to the strong 40k armies like Tau/Eldar/Azblob, at anything less than 1k points you might as well not even show up.
People might be apprehensive because primarchs/super-predator spam/20 tacticals with fury of the legion!!!1/etc., but you can't do that stuff until you actually have the points for them (or with fury it has its own share of penalties).

Mango Polo fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Mar 2, 2014

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I don't give a poo poo about beating top tier armies. I just want to think about a new army that will be fun to play and not have a billion models like my still half painted orks.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I don't give a poo poo about beating top tier armies. I just want to think about a new army that will be fun to play and not have a billion models like my still half painted orks.

Then go crazy but be ready to explain to people why it's not a ridiculous army.

Anyway, Iron Warriors are getting their rules soon, and two of the three artillery units have models. It's a good time for the iron.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

So all of a sudden want to get a Medusa Siege Mortar and I'm now looking for how to build one without having to resort to ordering from ForgeWorld.
I think I have a problem. :(

Gods, if I ever get a job I am so utterly hosed.

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.
On a whim I decided to look for a sisters army to buy in one go from ebay. Nothing looked complete enough so I started mixing up my keywords and I found this:

Inquisitor Warhammer 40k L@@K!!! Female OOP Rare Great Art Sister Of Battle

$120 please.

I wonder why China or Russia have not just recast sister models? I bet they would make a lot of money based on how much time I just sunk into looking for second hand stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Keybaby is pretty cool.

• Locked thread