Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That was loving awesome and I'm so friggin happy this show has come back to us. I don't know how I'm gonna handle watching this week-to-week. Almost wish NBC had ended up dropping it so Netflix woulda snapped it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

That was a great episode. I'm totally up for more of Hannibal being Will and Will being Hannibal.

seravid posted:

Any chance Jack's going to walk away from this? He should have a couple of minutes to live and this is TV, after all; I'm sure if he sticks some puréed brain in there he'll be fine, right?

Right? :(

Well the last time on this show someone had blood spurting from their neck like that was Abigail, and she was fine. Though of course she had Hannibal giving immediate medical attention. Hopefully Crawford has some backup on the way.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
If not, we can look forward to a crawford boil.

ov
Jul 28, 2004
SEE THAT WET SPOT ON MY PANTS? WATCH ME MAKE UP A STORY ABOUT SPILLING A CASSEROLE
Was pretty awesome to see Jack Crawford finally do some cool fighting moves instead of being a lame rear end like in Star Wars.

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

:sun: SoroScrew :sun:

ov posted:

Was pretty awesome to see Jack Crawford finally do some cool fighting moves instead of being a lame rear end like in Star Wars.

Samuel Jackson was great in those commercials, especially when he was a kid. Watchu Talkin' Bout Willis, he was so adorable right? At least he got that growth spurt.

ov
Jul 28, 2004
SEE THAT WET SPOT ON MY PANTS? WATCH ME MAKE UP A STORY ABOUT SPILLING A CASSEROLE
Probably was, but Jack Crawford is played by Laurence Fishburne.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
who was not in Star Wars.

edit: wait a minute it's the same guy who said the troll white guy beats the black guy thing, dammit

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

ov posted:

Probably was, but Jack Crawford is played by Laurence Fishburne.

:thejoke:

A local LA news guy mixed them up during an interview.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

"He was a flounder."

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

1.1 in the demo last night, which is up from the last five episodes of last season, but down from the series premiere of 1.6. So, I dunno, but this show may be immune from ratings due to the interest from online providers and the fact that NBC likes to have at least one low rated but highly acclaimed show in the lineup.

Fuller seemed pretty confident about this show carrying on in that AV Club interview, though.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

1.1 on a friday on NBC seems... adequate?

Am I crazy for thinking that Hannibal has the best cinematography of... anything? Every shot is unreal.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Fooz posted:

1.1 on a friday on NBC seems... adequate?

Yeah it should be fine above a 1.0 on Friday NBC. Also like I said it's not under the gun the way another show might be. I'm reservedly optimiztic.

BIG CITY LAWYER
Sep 15, 2004

I believe it was the great American painter Bob Ross who said, "The key to a swollen vagina is... courage."
Excellent interview with the Production designer Matthew Davies

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Really good first episode. I felt at times they were maybe squeezing quite a lot in, but I think there was just enough to keep the story focused.

The last scene reminded me a little of the Gustav Dore illustration for the Divine Comedy.

This one being the highest sphere of heaven.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

This season is going to suck so hard for Jack Crawford. :smith:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Paradox Personified posted:

You've got a lot of flashing black frames, and you took out too many frames of good data but other than that, nice gifs. Thanks for taking my job. :)

I'm always more concerned with a relatively small filesize so I drop more frames than is usual (especially when there is a lot of camera changes) but I like to think I get across a good idea of the scene as it happened.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
I freely admit to cribbing these off Wikipedia. I know nothing about Japanese dining other than the names of a couple of sushi a la carte pieces. These are the titles for the rest of the season, with definitions.

Sakizuke (先附?): an appetizer similar to the French amuse-bouche.
Hassun (八寸?): the second course, which sets the seasonal theme. Typically one kind of sushi and several smaller side dishes.
Takiawase (煮合?): vegetables served with meat, fish or tofu; the ingredients are simmered separately.
Mukōzuke (向付?): a sliced dish of seasonal sashimi.
Futamono (蓋物?): a "lidded dish"; typically a soup.
Yakimono (焼物?): (1) flame-broiled food (esp. fish); (2) earthenware, pottery, china.
Su-zakana (酢肴?): a small dish used to clean the palate, such as vegetables in vinegar; vinegared appetizer.
Shiizakana (強肴?): a substantial dish, such as a hot pot.
TBA
Kō no mono (香の物?): seasonal pickled vegetables.
Tome-wan (止椀?): a miso-based or vegetable soup served with rice.
Mizumono (水物?): a seasonal dessert; may be fruit, confection, ice cream, or cake.

Because one of the episode names hasn't been revealed yet, these are other common kaiseki courses which could be episode 10.
Hiyashi-bachi (冷し鉢?): served only in summer; chilled, lightly cooked vegetables.
Naka-choko (中猪口?): another palate-cleanser; may be a light, acidic soup.
Gohan (御飯?): a rice dish made with seasonal ingredients.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
IIRC, Hannibal makes reference to his Japanese aunt this episode. I will be very interested if they expand on that. It's the only peek into his past other than his conversations with Bedelia

Victorie Lazer
Feb 24, 2012

Cowabunga!
I guess this is the season where we find out whether even Bryan Fuller is amazing enough to salvage Hannibal Rising.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Desht posted:

So, so happy this show is back for another season and starting off just as pretty and well crafted as ever. Du Maurier remains my favorite character, and we even got a more tangible, or at least more evidence for, her imprisonment within her own home. There's always so much going on in those scenes between them. Like the very little light peaking through the half-drawn curtains, we get glimpses of a truer Hannibal. His obsession is frightening. The curtains also seemed to act like bars in a cell, either barring light or barring their view to the outside. Du Maurier was even dressed like a prisoner in black and white. Rather, Hannibal has created his own heretical church with a female priest that he can confess his sins to. I'm super excited to see her actually leaving her house this season, it looked like a brief shot of her in the courtroom and, of course, at Will's jail cell.

There was a shot of a painting in her living room/office that I couldn't really make out but can't help but think its important in some way.

As for other parts of this episode: goddamn.

I think the prison symbolism holds in a lot of ways even if it isn't literal (and presumably based on the season preview she can go places). The unnamed patient conflict in their past is one kind of imprisonment because I don't think anyone has mentioned it as part of Lecter's past. That seems to suggest that she's been complicit in hiding whatever truth is involved and so that whole experience is a door she's forced to keep closed. The doctor patient confidentiality is one kind of force. To my recollection, Hannibal hasn't exerted that force and I don't think he's been explicit about anything he's actually done. But the wordplay as he talked about opening his files up to the FBI was a very forceful restraint of her because she can't tell them things she thinks about Hannibal because a lot of what she thinks is driven by whatever he did with her old problem patient.

Then there's the whole "retired except for Hannibal, who just showed up" which is incredibly intrusive and even abusive. It's like she's been press ganged into being his slightly obscured morality sounding board and is unable, or unwilling, to get out of it. Very much a prison, even if she enjoys being there.

It occurred to me in the first season and came up again that Hannibal is very much Winston. Showing up on Will's doorstep, missing his friend. Back in the first season, Will hallucinated the stag beside him on the road and in reality it was Winston. Will has waking dreams of the stag hovering around him with this lake separating them. Both Winston and Hannibal can't interact with Will anymore and this barrier seems to hold up. But the devil (Wendigo is such a great term for him) rises up from the water, so that's within that barrier. Could potentially be interesting to keep track of and explore.

blondcockerel
Feb 28, 2014

Ape Agitator posted:

I think the prison symbolism holds in a lot of ways even if it isn't literal (and presumably based on the season preview she can go places). The unnamed patient conflict in their past is one kind of imprisonment because I don't think anyone has mentioned it as part of Lecter's past. That seems to suggest that she's been complicit in hiding whatever truth is involved and so that whole experience is a door she's forced to keep closed. The doctor patient confidentiality is one kind of force. To my recollection, Hannibal hasn't exerted that force and I don't think he's been explicit about anything he's actually done. But the wordplay as he talked about opening his files up to the FBI was a very forceful restraint of her because she can't tell them things she thinks about Hannibal because a lot of what she thinks is driven by whatever he did with her old problem patient.

Then there's the whole "retired except for Hannibal, who just showed up" which is incredibly intrusive and even abusive. It's like she's been press ganged into being his slightly obscured morality sounding board and is unable, or unwilling, to get out of it. Very much a prison, even if she enjoys being there.

It occurred to me in the first season and came up again that Hannibal is very much Winston. Showing up on Will's doorstep, missing his friend. Back in the first season, Will hallucinated the stag beside him on the road and in reality it was Winston. Will has waking dreams of the stag hovering around him with this lake separating them. Both Winston and Hannibal can't interact with Will anymore and this barrier seems to hold up. But the devil (Wendigo is such a great term for him) rises up from the water, so that's within that barrier. Could potentially be interesting to keep track of and explore.

I really like the idea that the stag and the wendigo are both different aspects of Hannibal - with the stag being a representation of the Hannibal Will was using as a coping mechanism and the wendigo a representation of the Hannibal that actually is. Fuller's gone on record saying that the stag is a representation of the Boyle murder, with the ravens guests at the tableau etc., and is a part of how Will compartmentalizes what he does. It makes sense, then, that both Winston as a stray that Will's picked up, and Hannibal as a (however manipulative) guide through 'dark places', that both of them would be represented in his mind with the stag.

It'll be interesting to see how Will's hallucinations continue to develop throughout the season.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
^ ^ ^
Edit: In the first season I loved the idea that Will starts by trying to imagine this one crime he gets involved with and then it never goes away. That it's like this seed that got planted and started to grow so the imagery never left. He thinks its because he's awakened something in himself when in reality it's that the source of the imagery has never gone away. Whether that's literally Hannibal or the influence Hannibal has had on Will are both interesting ideas even if they are distinctly different. Making Alana into a similar figure makes that influence idea more solid, which is cool. Just making the image into Hannibal isn't too many steps removed from a Harry Potter "it's just a wizard wearing a person mask", which isn't nearly as exciting as it being a force.

Victorie Lazer posted:

I guess this is the season where we find out whether even Bryan Fuller is amazing enough to salvage Hannibal Rising.

drat this is an uphill battle. You're right that they did explicitly mention her so it's a reimagining at best (I was hoping for an ignoring). Really, the only thing salvageable about Hannibal Rising was the skeleton of the plot. Almost all of the details I felt were desperate attempts to cram as much Baroque imagery as he could without realizing that kind of stuff only works as part of a persona a killer constructs for themselves out of a personal sense of theatricality. Hannibal Rising was written like Jame Gumb fell in a hole Batman style while death's head moths swarmed him and he was forced to keep warm by wearing a person as a blanket by his crazy father who didn't want to "waste" his dead uncle Phil. I liked the first two almost three novels because they took a horrific but "ordinary" childhood abuse and the killer spun that out in this crazy way that latched onto certain ideas or imagery that resonated with them and they refined over time. Hannibal Rising just made the whole world about that and now he world is dumb and Hannibal is dumb for having grown up in it.

Well, there's at least some solace that this season's focus on asian cuisine will at least put some value to the random idea that Hannibal's family is Japanese or whatever. Because absolutely nothing pissed me off more than them using this Japanese heritage to tie in a mask vaguely similar to the one he was forced to wear in Silence.

nixar55
Jul 25, 2003

She packed my bags last night. Pre-flight. Zero hour nine a.m. And I'm gonna be high as a kite by then.

Victorie Lazer posted:

Well, Fuller has been courting David Bowie to play Hannibal's uncle in a flashback, but I don't believe he was able to get him this season due to availability or something, so that'd be cool. Maybe he does see delving into some of Hannibal's youth at some point.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

One thing I was considering is that I'm surprised Hannibal hasn't eaten Chilton yet, or even shown any real contempt for him. Chilton has been extraordinarily rude about things, such as not complimenting the food or even showing any real appreciation for it, both in the scene in this episode and in the first season when Hannibal was serving him the thinly sliced pork? beef? it was a big leg of something. He just accepts the plate, stuffs food in his mouth, and then talks with his mouth full. And how he talks about Will like a prized fish he wants to catch or some sort of grab for fame and money, and is extremely condescending and aloof about the whole situation. I mean, Hannibal ate the guy who was taking his blood for saying "if you have any other infections just tell me now, I'll find out and it'll affect your insurance" or something to that affect. That scene never did make much sense to me by the way. Maybe Hannibal just has larger plans for Chilton or considers him too important to some end to do away with him quite yet.

Really I just want Hannibal to give Gideon a nod and pull an Armen Meiwess, yank out Chilton's organs while he's alive, cook them up, and feed them to him. Though he may not do the last bit, it'd be too much of a waste. :haw:

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I recall feeling some minor contempt from Hannibal during that dinner scene. It's just not open contempt because Chilton is such a good source of information about Will Graham. It helps to have a 'friend' on the inside.

Hannibal didn't kill the blood guy until much, much later when he was preparing the large feast for his guests. I'm sure that he's keeping Chilton's business card in his Rolodex of Meat.

O__O
Jan 26, 2011

by Cowcaster
snip

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

radlum
May 13, 2013
I had never seen Scott Thompson as Buddy Cole before his appearance in Colbert, and now I can't help but think that Buddy somehow now works in the FBI.

Great episode, nice setup for the season, I hope they get Jack on Hannibal's trail earlier than the final episodes. Also, am I the only one worried for Beverly? She seemed to have more focus this episode and on the season preview and that can be fatal for minor characters; I fear she may get into something bigger than she can handle and end up as Hannibal's dinner.

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.
When Will asked Beverly "Do you have the file? And pictures?", was that a Silence of the Lambs reference? It's been a while since I've seen it but I could have sworn Hannibal asks Clarice the same question, or something very close.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!

Gatekeeper posted:

When Will asked Beverly "Do you have the file? And pictures?", was that a Silence of the Lambs reference? It's been a while since I've seen it but I could have sworn Hannibal asks Clarice the same question, or something very close.

Red Dragon reference. Hannibal asks Will Graham the question.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Just a tiny detail I liked, but when Hannibal was serving Jack Crawford the sashimi and speaking of mourning, he was wearing a white suit, a color I don't believe we've seen him in previously. If memory serves correctly, white is the standard color of mourning in Japan, is it not?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Choco1980 posted:

Just a tiny detail I liked, but when Hannibal was serving Jack Crawford the sashimi and speaking of mourning, he was wearing a white suit, a color I don't believe we've seen him in previously. If memory serves correctly, white is the standard color of mourning in Japan, is it not?

White is for mourning in Japan

The suit is kinda off-white/light gray in different shots, but I like that idea

Maybe they made the suit light gray so that it wouldn't be too on-the-nose

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Mar 2, 2014

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

That, and white is too pure for Hannibal, especially from Mads' point of view as his character being played as a fallen angel. Or, the Fallen Angel Lucifer.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

A bunch of people posted:

Buffalo Bill?

Couple of pages back, but as of right now, anything explicitly introduced in The Silence of the Lambs is off-limits for this show, as that book and any adaptations of its material are the sole domain of MGM. That means Benjamin Raspail, Jame Gumb / Buffalo Bill, Clarice Starling, etc., cannot legally be used. This can change, of course -- Fuller has said they have gone to MGM multiple times and been rebuffed -- but at this point in time, they're limited to Red Dragon, Hannibal, Hannibal Rising and anything they come up with on their own.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

This tumblr post has an excellent breakdown of the different themes and metaphors running through the premiere.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
So, rampant speculation here, but if things are still going to play out as a lead up to Red Dragon's storyline, Will needs to be cleared and set free without Hannibal being implicated. Given the fight scene flashforward at the opening of this season, I can't help but wonder if Jack Crawford really is going to die and Hannibal is going to pin the murders on him. I cannot see how the characters could get to a situation where Will no longer suspects Hannibal unless Hannibal convinces Will that someone else is manipulating him to distrust Hannibal. I guess the other option is that season 3 will be the beginning of the Red Dragon story and there won't need to be any reconciliation.

Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

Where does the wind come from that blows upon your face, that fans the pages of your book?

hope and vaseline posted:

This tumblr post has an excellent breakdown of the different themes and metaphors running through the premiere.

Thanks. I love Will's "mind palace" being realized as a river.

She's got some True Detective critiques I appreciate as well.

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

Steve Yun posted:

If not, we can look forward to a crawford boil.

This should be the new thread title, not the current one that makes people vote 1 and think the series tanked and went all weeaboo.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!
Holy poo poo. I'm rewatching the episode and can't help but notice that the image of the sea urchin that Hannibal is taking the roe out of when preparing the meal for Crawford in the beginning mirrors the image of the eye of bodies at the end of the episode.

This show. This loving show.

Edit:

Edit 2: gently caress; sorry about the table breakage. Fixed now.

AstroZamboni fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Mar 3, 2014

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I thought it rather resembled a brain being dissected from a head with hair on it still initially.

Snak posted:

So, rampant speculation here, but if things are still going to play out as a lead up to Red Dragon's storyline, Will needs to be cleared and set free without Hannibal being implicated. Given the fight scene flashforward at the opening of this season, I can't help but wonder if Jack Crawford really is going to die and Hannibal is going to pin the murders on him. I cannot see how the characters could get to a situation where Will no longer suspects Hannibal unless Hannibal convinces Will that someone else is manipulating him to distrust Hannibal. I guess the other option is that season 3 will be the beginning of the Red Dragon story and there won't need to be any reconciliation.

I was under the impression it would be Hannibal gets found out by the end of this season (as the battle with Jack Crawford strongly suggests) and season three will be the FBI (and likely Will Graham) chasing after him, culminating in his capture at the end of the season, followed by the Red Dragon case predominating season four. And hopefully by the time that is done, Bryan Fuller et al can convince MGM to relinquish the Clarice Starling/Buffalo Bill stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vertigo Ambrosia
May 26, 2004
Heretic, please.
I sort of hope that the series ends after the Red Dragon case, honestly. Will and Hannibal's relationship is so important to the series that I don't know if it would make sense for the show to continue years later with a new protagonist. Plus, the Miriam Lass episode borrowed so much from Silence already that I just don't really see the point in going back to it again.

• Locked thread