Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde
They gave us a dorm stove, but it was one stove for an entire building. Easily the most disgusting thing I ever saw. They never bothered cleaning it up and it regularly lit up in flames for no reason other than to make us walk out of the building at 3 AM while someone hosed it down with a fire extinguisher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Sydin posted:

Basically this, yeah. 99% of the food you could get with the meal plan was trash, so I'd just grab fruit and veggies and bring them back to my dorm. Freshman year they refused to give us a stove (:argh:) but I had a rice cooker with a steamer catch, so I'd just throw veggies in there and still eat better than most of my room mates.

Mealplans are such a loving scam, anyway. The idea is that freshman will be too stupid to fend for themselves and without easy access to pre-prepared food they'll die in the streets. But hey university, you know what would really help out in combating that? Giving freshman dorms stoves!

I dunno, a lot of freshmen are probably too stupid to fend for themselves and giving them a stove seems like a good way to have a fire alarm going off at 3am every night. (Meal plans are still a scam I agree)

Pizzatime
Apr 1, 2011

I hate my loving roomate.

Thanks for your attention.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

karl fungus posted:

They gave us a dorm stove, but it was one stove for an entire building. Easily the most disgusting thing I ever saw. They never bothered cleaning it up and it regularly lit up in flames for no reason other than to make us walk out of the building at 3 AM while someone hosed it down with a fire extinguisher.

The worst is when someone who lives in the building "loves" to cook so it means they're hogging the entire shared stove for 4-5 hours a day with their friends, then get all pissy when you want to cook. Sorry bitch, you've been making whatever the gently caress chocolate cake mixes in the oven for 2 hours now you can move your goddamn pan over for my roasting pan.

Couldn't even make hot chocolate most days because woops every burner is taken up by someone slow cooking something argh.

The dorms themselves were a huge scam too. They kick you out for march break and christmas break unless you pay an extra few hundred dollars...to spend 2 semesters there is more expensive than renting a room in an apartment for a whole year.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I may be the only person alive who likes their university's dining hall food. Then again I have very low standards and may be a human garbage can.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Kavak posted:

I may be the only person alive who likes their university's dining hall food. Then again I have very low standards and may be a human garbage can.

The food at mine wasn't slop (usually; see my first post in this thread) it was just unhealthy and extremely overpriced for what it was. I could have eaten a hell of a lot better for the money I was forced to spend on a meal plan.

E: however, the fallback dish for when they ran out of ingredients/didn't know what else to make that day was half an English muffin with a scoop of tuna fish and a Kraft slice on top, broiled.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Hummingbirds posted:

The food at mine wasn't slop (usually; see my first post in this thread) it was just unhealthy and extremely overpriced for what it was. I could have eaten a hell of a lot better for the money I was forced to spend on a meal plan.

E: however, the fallback dish for when they ran out of ingredients/didn't know what else to make that day was half an English muffin with a scoop of tuna fish and a Kraft slice on top, broiled.

At my school it was at least $5 for a small parfait container full of chopped veggies (half of it being celery) and a small little sauce container of ranch dressing. For any sort of "full meal" which was usually fries with either a grilled cheese sandwich, fried meat of some kind and overboiled veggies it'd be $10.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

At my school it was at least $5 for a small parfait container full of chopped veggies (half of it being celery) and a small little sauce container of ranch dressing. For any sort of "full meal" which was usually fries with either a grilled cheese sandwich, fried meat of some kind and overboiled veggies it'd be $10.

poo poo, that's like 1.5x or 2x what they charge here. Where did you go to school?

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Kavak posted:

poo poo, that's like 1.5x or 2x what they charge here. Where did you go to school?

Around the Toronto area in Ontario. I think it's just because it's an art school, so they try to gently caress us out of as much money as possible when it comes to pricing. Even the on campus store sells art supplies for way more expensive than the other places in the area...which also overcharge.

For example, at the bookstore it's $30 for a pack of 25 pieces of bristol paper (for ink illustrations).
Down the street they can order a pack of 50 for $80.
If I take the public transpo out an hour or so to a different store they sell the exact same pack for $35/50 sheets or $50 for 100.

It's atrocious :'D Don't even get me started on the marker prices.

Cmdr Tomalak
Aug 13, 2007

How long shall we stare at each other across the Neutral Zone?
Is that Sheridan? I graduated from there in2008 and I can confirm that the cafeteria is overpriced poo poo. And I know a bunch of people who got food poisoning from the Mr Sub and Harvey's. Didn't do art school so I don't know about the art supplies, but I can believe it.

I'm at Queen's now and our meal plan was all-you-can-eat, and the food was pretty decent with a lot of choice. Plus the flex dollars being accepted at every on-campus Tim Hortons.

Cmdr Tomalak has a new favorite as of 19:39 on Feb 27, 2014

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

My school has no mealplan type thing at all. We do have a food court with normal prices. $10 meals for everyone! The Students Association has free breakfast like toast and fruit to offer but I'm always in class then anyway. I don't live on campus but I think the dorms do all have kitchens.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Kavak posted:

Not all campuses have terrible food. As much as I think my school is lovely in a lot of ways the food in the commons is actually good. They have actual trained chefs heading up the kitchen. It's a buffet-style thing and it's like $6.50 to get in for lunch if you're a student. It's still cheaper to cook at home obviously but not all students have that option and sometimes I don't have the chance/desire to go back home. Sometimes I just want to saunter over to the commons, pig out at the buffet, and head back to classes.

That being said, gently caress meal plans. Whereas I can pay $6.50 for lunch that same meal costs a few dollars more if you get a meal plan. They won't refund unused meals or flex dollars. Considering how many students go home for the weekend a lot of them just flat out lose money on that bullshit every week. Worse yet the hours of the commons isn't exactly friendly to every schedule. They're improving but if you have evening classes from 4 to 7:30 you don't get to use your dinner for that day.

Making matters worse there's another food place that isn't buffet style. There's some little semi-independent shops that sell things individually like sandwiches, cheeseburgers, pizza, fried chicken, and the like. It's a bunch of unhealthy horror. They're also putting in a Denny's. Yup, a Denny's, right in the student center! Yay! To add to the scam you can trade one of those meals you paid $10 for in your plan for $4.10 of food in the food court. Not a scam. Nope, not at all.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

poo poo, here you just have a lump sum to spend on whatever you want at the dining hall at whatever hour it's open. They have a nice little sandwich/salad bar (That I never use except for putting poo poo on grilled chicken sandwiches and burgers because I'm a lardass) and plenty of fruit. Only leftover flex dollars roll over, so come December or May people will start buying shittons of bottled water and such to spend all their cash- it's kind of funny to watch. You also don't have to select a plan if you commute, and they take debit and cash (Don't know if there's any extra fees there, though).

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?
Apparently my college has some of the best dining hall food in the country so I don't feel bad about liking the cafeteria food. Granted, individual meals off a plan were like 12 for lunch and 16 for dinner, but for that you had entrees, sandwich bars, full vegetarian/vegan options (that actually had entrees and sides), stir-fry stations, ethnic food (unlimited pho!), and the usual pizza/burger/salad bar stuff. Every so often they'd have guest/celebrity chefs, too.

Schizophrenic Orb
Nov 16, 2009

Intriguing...
At my college you pay per item, not per meal, so we have convenience stores on campus where you can buy basic goods to cook if you want.

My complaint is the dining hall for my set of on-campus apartments closed for renovations. They were supposed to work on it all summer and have it open again in January, but all they've done is some demo work on the inside and in the meantime the school spent apparently over a million dollars on a lovely food truck that didn't even offer dinner until fairly recently.

Preem Palver
Jul 5, 2007
My university has trouble retaining students, and just built (and is building more) expensive new dorms that are only about 2/3 full. Their newly announced solution to both of these problems? Require all incoming freshman to live on campus for 2 years, in dorms that cost $3300/semester for a shared one room dorm. The university is in a small Texas town with a low cost of living -- you can find 2 bedroom apartments and duplexes next to campus that will cost less than $3300/year in rent for each tenant. If you don't mind walking all of 8 blocks to campus, you can rent old, but huge and renovated, houses for even less that 4 or 5 people can easily live in.

They also have to purchase full meal plans for these two years at exorbitant prices, even though there are numerous restaurants in and around campus that will give you a better meal for a lower price. The university dining hall also only cooks food at very specific hours, so if you have classes during designated meal times you can't even have a meal in there other than a tiny box of cereal and maybe some fruit if there's any left. Almost all low-level courses are scheduled during these times, so freshmen and sophomores will now essentially be paying $10/day to eat fifty cents worth of empty carbs and an apple, unless they want to buy food from a restaurant while still paying for the meal plan. There are also two grocery stores literally across the street from these dorms, which have large, shared kitchens in every wing on every floor.

Surely all of this won't backfire. I know that a university with declining academic performance that charges high rent, requires you to buy meal plans you can't really use, and has ever rising tuition and fee costs despite an ever shrinking selection of courses sounds super appealing.

At this point, I'm convinced that the always growing administration is just sucking the university dry before they find jobs elsewhere.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

For example, at the bookstore it's $30 for a pack of 25 pieces of bristol paper (for ink illustrations).
Down the street they can order a pack of 50 for $80.

So $30 for 25 or $80 for 50? Or rather, $30 for 25 or $40 for 25. Sounds like the college is on your side.

angelfisher
Aug 15, 2011
Professors that say high school teachers should be able to date their students freely once they hit puberty, professors should be able to date undergrads, and that society is way too harsh about it. Also, :biotruths: Brought up in response to a conversation about how Pocahontas was probably all of 13 when she first met John Smith. Ohhhhhkay there Dr., maybe you should keep that to yourself. :psyduck:

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

theironjef posted:

So $30 for 25 or $80 for 50? Or rather, $30 for 25 or $40 for 25. Sounds like the college is on your side.

Did you not read that at another store that isn't competing directly with the school you can get 50 sheets for $5 more?

Bookstore - 50 sheets is $60
Down the street - 50 sheets is $80
Store that's smart enough to not compete with the first two - 50 sheets is $35

They're charging almost 2x the price of what the paper is actually worth anywhere else.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
My college just got a new Dean and she's trying to turn it into a real college. Some of her initiatives include trips to Thailand, a production of the Vagina Monologues and the creation of a student government:

I erased the names, but that's student participation in a nutshell. :lol:

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Why don't you just lay down your weapons now?

Big Grunty Secret posted:

Apparently my college has some of the best dining hall food in the country so I don't feel bad about liking the cafeteria food. Granted, individual meals off a plan were like 12 for lunch and 16 for dinner, but for that you had entrees, sandwich bars, full vegetarian/vegan options (that actually had entrees and sides), stir-fry stations, ethnic food (unlimited pho!), and the usual pizza/burger/salad bar stuff. Every so often they'd have guest/celebrity chefs, too.

Do you go to Northeastern? That sounds like our dining hall. So good but more expensive than a restaurant.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Oh boy, people complaining about prices makes me think of one of the most obviously scammy things that's come up. They built a new "village" near the school which is a bunch of actually quite nice suites. Each building has like 6 suits, total, and you get your own separate bedroom and bathroom with a closet. Enough space for a bed, a desk, a small dresser, and basically whatever you need to exist as a non-married person with no children and few responsibilities beyond class. You share a kitchen and common room with the other three people. It's big enough to not be crowded.

The rent works out to be like $800 per person so they're pulling $3200 a month on each of these suites. Which is, how shall we say, absolutely goddamned exorbitant for rural Pennsylvania. You can rent and pay the utilities for MULTIPLE HOUSES in this sector of the world on that kind of money.

Our school is also having issues with student retention. I wonder why.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.

The worst is when someone who lives in the building "loves" to cook so it means they're hogging the entire shared stove for 4-5 hours a day with their friends, then get all pissy when you want to cook. Sorry bitch, you've been making whatever the gently caress chocolate cake mixes in the oven for 2 hours now you can move your goddamn pan over for my roasting pan.

Couldn't even make hot chocolate most days because woops every burner is taken up by someone slow cooking something argh.

The dorms themselves were a huge scam too. They kick you out for march break and christmas break unless you pay an extra few hundred dollars...to spend 2 semesters there is more expensive than renting a room in an apartment for a whole year.

Yeah. I have a couple of flat mates like this. Or one now. The other knocked it off. It's sort of a pain when lunch and dinner are nearly impossible most days. It's doing my heartburn 0 favors that I eat anywhere from 9-11PM. I don't know if it's a cultural thing (He's not from England or America) or what. A couple of people I know have similar roommates from the same country, so it may well be. Or it's an evil conspiracy. 50/50 odds.

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The rent works out to be like $800 per person so they're pulling $3200 a month on each of these suites. Which is, how shall we say, absolutely goddamned exorbitant for rural Pennsylvania. You can rent and pay the utilities for MULTIPLE HOUSES in this sector of the world on that kind of money.

You can't even get a lovely studio apartment in NYC for that money. :v:

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Schizophrenic Orb posted:

At my college you pay per item, not per meal, so we have convenience stores on campus where you can buy basic goods to cook if you want.

:ohdear:

At my college you could literally enter the dinning hall at 7am and study/gorge till midnight without leaving.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

spunkshui posted:

:ohdear:

At my college you could literally enter the dinning hall at 7am and study/gorge till midnight without leaving.

We had one dining hall like that. It was an all day buffet that you paid once to get in to. The food was garbage but it was great during the winter when it was freezing out and you had a huge break between classes. There was one particular dude who worked who just did not give a poo poo who would intentionally look away from his register when he swiped your student id card so that if you didn't have money on it to pay entrance, you could still get in. I learned his schedule and got to eat a lot for free. That dude really saved my rear end during the chunks of time where I couldn't afford much food. Thank you random campus food service worker.

Of course at the same time all the water fountains in my major's building dispensed literal mud. They were renovating the dorms next to the building and must have messed something up. It was pretty cool getting undrinkable mud instead of water in a building with no real air conditioning for a year let me tell you what.

Penny Paper
Dec 31, 2012

thespaceinvader posted:

Not school security, the loving cops. You call the cops. The police. You dial 911/999/112/whatever your local police emergency number is. If you see or hear of someone being sexually assaulted you CALL THE loving POLICE. You don't rely on campus security to do it, you get on your mobile phone.

Seriously, how hard is it?

:psyduck:

I think it goes with the whole thing of "not wanting to cause drama" and "if it's not happening to me, why bother?" It is why sexual assault/rape doesn't get reported as much as it should. Not just in colleges, but the real world as well.

Sorry for the derail, but it had to be said.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Penny Paper posted:

I think it goes with the whole thing of "not wanting to cause drama" and "if it's not happening to me, why bother?" It is why sexual assault/rape doesn't get reported as much as it should. Not just in colleges, but the real world as well.

Sorry for the derail, but it had to be said.

About 80% of sexual assault doesn't get written up, even higher for rape. Most victims don't really want to deal with the whole system, which can be really traumatic, especially if the question of "was it really rape?" gets brought up and the trial turns into a witch hunt asking a victim if they were asking for it or not.

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?

1-800-DOG-LAW posted:

Do you go to Northeastern? That sounds like our dining hall. So good but more expensive than a restaurant.

No, UMass Amherst. Locally grown foods, ch'yeah.

I ate once at NEU when I was visting a friend, the food wasn't very memorable but it didn't taste like hot garbage. I guess you have more dining options along Mass
Ave. and Huntington, though

Penny Paper
Dec 31, 2012

My school is apparently one of the best for art in the world, but recently they decided that students don't actually need teachers or class time pffft. All our core classes are less than 2 hours long now with one teacher per subject for well over 100 students. No teacher's aids or assistants either. There's an internship we have to take in one year that is 3 months long, but we might not get paid for it. If we don't do it, we can't get our degree/pass. I've also discovered that in the 4 years here, you actually start learning anything of worth in 3rd year where one of the teacher starts at the beginning again and reteaches you everything because the first two years were taught wrong.

But hey we got new computers!!! NEW COMPUTERS GUYS.

That sounds exactly like The University of the Arts, minus the new computers.

quote:

I've seen guitars and ukuleles here, including one midnight serenade for a girlfriend's birthday that nearly turned into that scene from Animal House.

The panty raid or the part where Bluto breaks the hippie's guitar? I mean, yeah, the second answer is obviously what you're aiming for, but I imagined the former because...well, this website has taught me that real life is stranger than fiction, and I wouldn't be surprised if this scenario played out like a twisted combination of those two scenes.

Penny Paper has a new favorite as of 07:08 on Mar 1, 2014

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.
8 bucks for a quesadilla in the caf
Just leaving that here

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
Motherfucking punk kids pick up your loving feet I ain't got all day to watch you shuffle outta this lecture theatre. Stop having conversations in doorways with your big stupid loving backpacks on and your loving wheeled suitcases. What the gently caress kinda 18 year old even has a wheeled suitcase? If you drop your loving iPhone down my neck in a lecture one more time I am keeping it. I swear to Christ if you try to walk through me one more time I am dumping you on your rear end. No I don't want to "Try the Boobie", and I am not shocked by how OUTRAGEOUS you are I just don't give a poo poo for your inane stunts. No I will not help you do your lab work, nut up and loving do it yourself it's not loving hard.

loving REALLY mature students get to gently caress. I don't want to talk about mortgages and grandchildren with you, I don't give a poo poo for that poo poo. Leave me the gently caress alone, it's Monday and I'm hungover. No I will not bang you because you're pissed off at your husband divorcing you. Stop calling me "honey" and stop going "OOOH AH'M AULD ENOUGH TAE BE YIR MITHER", I am not going to disagree, even to be nice, and it WILL be awkward.

FUUUUUCK why do I HAVE to attend this tutorial? I already know how to talk to a group I used to give presentations every day for my old j...loving CHRIST you picked the smallest tutorial room AND put me in the same tutorial as the ratty bearded wanker who smells like faeces and pot? Bitch I will suplex you. Oh loving Hell he cut off the prof just as he was finishing up and NOW I gotta sit and smile politely for another fifteen minutes while he explains precisely WHY humans couldn't feasibly have angel wings.

You French Canadian motherfuck, why would you take a teaching job if you can't speak English and you don't like explaining yourself? And why do it in the room with the really loud air vents so nobody can hear your mumbling, Moby lookin' rear end?

God loving dammit why is the vegetarian option always Mac & Cheese. And why did they put the cafeteria past the place fulla creepy Christian people who keep smiling and going "Hiiiii!" and playing loving Kumbaya? How is Kumbaya even a thing?

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
What's "try the boobie"?

Oh I get it now, you're just getting too much pussy action and have to swat that poo poo away.

Sorry about the mac-n-cheese, good thing you're not vegan tho!

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Irish Joe posted:

My college just got a new Dean and she's trying to turn it into a real college. Some of her initiatives include trips to Thailand, a production of the Vagina Monologues and the creation of a student government:

I erased the names, but that's student participation in a nutshell. :lol:

Be thankful for this. Our student government is voted in by a committee of the student body. Because I'm a cheap gently caress and it's free pizza I signed up.

12 applicants, with an hour long debate in the session afterwards because 1 applicant loaded the panel with his friends and his group was just large enough to cock block a 2/3 majority in the first go-rounds of votes. The last 45 minutes were basically:

"Well, Molly gave a really strong interview, she's head of one the most active clubs on campus, and she rocked that intervie-."

":byodood: Yeah, but Mike's a club president* and a really good guy."

*Mike is president of a club that blows their budget on board game poo poo and takes up a bunch of space in the cafeteria every day.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

There's a crappy piano in the cafeteria. Because it's such a large, open space you can clearly hear from any point in the room poorly played video game theme songs, or someone stumbling repeatedly through pop music.

*plays through Vanessa Carlton's 'A thousand Miles'*
*fucks up ten seconds into the song and pokes keys trying find the right note before continuing on*

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Wedemeyer posted:

There's a crappy piano in the cafeteria. Because it's such a large, open space you can clearly hear from any point in the room poorly played video game theme songs, or someone stumbling repeatedly through pop music.

*plays through Vanessa Carlton's 'A thousand Miles'*
*fucks up ten seconds into the song and pokes keys trying find the right note before continuing on*

Funny thing is, our Student Union has a really nice piano in the commons and most of the time there is some student playing a very beautiful piece of music in the afternoon. I enjoy it. :)

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I commute to school, which means after class I walk to the train station and during the winter I wait for the train in the little heated vestibule thing. The other day, I get to the vestibule and there are a bunch of guys hotboxing the thing. So now my options are to wait in the cold or get vaguely high and reek like weed all day. gently caress those guys.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Coffee And Pie posted:

I commute to school, which means after class I walk to the train station and during the winter I wait for the train in the little heated vestibule thing. The other day, I get to the vestibule and there are a bunch of guys hotboxing the thing. So now my options are to wait in the cold or get vaguely high and reek like weed all day. gently caress those guys.

One of the few times that alcohol is legitimately a better idea than weed.

MoreLikeTen
Oct 21, 2012

The farmer's mistake was believing he had any control over his life.
I loving love classes where you get a topic to present on, and every lecture is someone's presentation. Nothing like paying out the rear end to be taught by your fellow students.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

MoreLikeTen posted:

I loving love classes where you get a topic to present on, and every lecture is someone's presentation. Nothing like paying out the rear end to be taught by your fellow students.

Wait, the entire lecture is someone else's presentation?

• Locked thread