Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

"See, I told you I was in Metallica, brother."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Shima Honnou posted:

Yeah, pretty much. I got laid off from a position in a small business several years ago after the owner sold it to a fellow employee. I wasn't let go to cut costs, either. The last thing they had me do was train my replacement: the new owner's niece.

Currently said owner is basically bleeding the business dry to the point that my old co-workers are trying to jump ship to any place that'll have them, including loving Wal-Mart.

Did they tell you they were letting you go before you trained her? 'Cause that's a "pfffhahahaha go kick rocks, cake eater" moment if I ever saw one.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Neodoomium posted:

Did they tell you they were letting you go before you trained her? 'Cause that's a "pfffhahahaha go kick rocks, cake eater" moment if I ever saw one.

Nope! Near the end of the shift as I'm getting ready to leave the owner brings her in, has me show her the machines and how to operate everything, then I get "By the way you're laid off" as I'm on the way out the door. And on a Monday so they didn't have to pay my full week's salary, too, the fuckers.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Mother of god

TheMarkHenry posted:

My new buddy,good dude.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Please make this movie WWE. I will watch this one.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Deadpool posted:

Please make this movie WWE. I will watch this one.

gently caress WWE Films, that's Expendables 4 right there.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

True Detective, Season 2

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

OmegaBR posted:

Even John Cena said on Austin's podcast recently that WWE has such a walking-on-eggshells environment that everybody's scared to speak up.

And while Ryder went about it the wrong way, the idea that it's up to the talent to get over AND market themselves AND let the company know that they deserved to be pushed, even when entire arenas are chanting for them - basically to do all the work - is pretty screwy.

I remember Mick telling the story that he was talking with Ryder who was upset about his position in the company, so Foley asked if he went and talked to Vince, Ryder said no, and Foley told him to go do it. He didn't.

Lord Of Texas posted:

I'm not disagreeing with you that bitching on Twitter is not productive, but how often have you talked to the CEO of the company you work at? Not everyone has a great rapport with Vince I'm sure.

Listen, if Matt loving Striker could walk into the office to talk with Vince, I'm guessing there isn't a high bar for entry. Brian Kendrick could talk to Vince, Jericho in the jobbiest part of his career in WWE, it's actually shockingly. Pretty much everything we've been told is Vince's door is open so long as he isn't busy. Hell "The Brian Kendrick" came about because Kendrick kept getting bounced between I believe Brian Gerwitz and Johnny Ace when he wanted to talk to them about the TBK gimmick. Eventually he just got sick of it and went straight to Vince, explained the idea, and Vince said "Okay"

AND THAT WORKED if he hadn't been busted for Pot he would probably be doing very well for himself. If Ziggler has an idea, and he thinks he isn't being used right, and creative dicks him around, it could not possibly hurt him to knock on the door and ask "Vince, do you have a minute?" not at this point. I mean you can't possibly be fired for knocking on the door and asking the boss if he has a minute to chat. and he can't possibly be buried more than he is... So go for!

Of course as OmegaBR pointed out, there is a culture of fear in the WWE, the wrestlers are afraid to go to the boss and talk to him because don't you know that's Vince McMahon and he'll scream and fire you because he's insane? Where could we go if we were fired? Best keep my mouth shut and never speak up.

And the WWE has done nothing to curb this culture of fear, because I'm sure they like it, it's the ultimate in backstage mind games bullshit. Push this guy, now stop the push, see how he reacts, do nothing with him, tell him creative has nothing for him, lets see if he'll have the stones to go talk to Vince. Blah blah blah blah would not shock me if this is just another layer of "testing".

The Dolph situation pisses me off because bitching on Twitter is literally counter productive, that doesn't say to me "I want to do better in this company" it's just bitching. and the thing is in this very thread people are saying there's a very vocal "We want Ziggler" chant when they watch. So what the gently caress even?

emjayo
Apr 11, 2013

It really doesn't surprise me that some of these guys lack the people skills needed to knock on their boss' door and say "Got a minute?"

Rasslin'.

BigT
Oct 22, 2004

Onmi posted:

I remember Mick telling the story that he was talking with Ryder who was upset about his position in the company, so Foley asked if he went and talked to Vince, Ryder said no, and Foley told him to go do it. He didn't.

Listen, if Matt loving Striker could walk into the office to talk with Vince, I'm guessing there isn't a high bar for entry. Brian Kendrick could talk to Vince, Jericho in the jobbiest part of his career in WWE, it's actually shockingly. Pretty much everything we've been told is Vince's door is open so long as he isn't busy. Hell "The Brian Kendrick" came about because Kendrick kept getting bounced between I believe Brian Gerwitz and Johnny Ace when he wanted to talk to them about the TBK gimmick. Eventually he just got sick of it and went straight to Vince, explained the idea, and Vince said "Okay"

AND THAT WORKED if he hadn't been busted for Pot he would probably be doing very well for himself. If Ziggler has an idea, and he thinks he isn't being used right, and creative dicks him around, it could not possibly hurt him to knock on the door and ask "Vince, do you have a minute?" not at this point. I mean you can't possibly be fired for knocking on the door and asking the boss if he has a minute to chat. and he can't possibly be buried more than he is... So go for!

Of course as OmegaBR pointed out, there is a culture of fear in the WWE, the wrestlers are afraid to go to the boss and talk to him because don't you know that's Vince McMahon and he'll scream and fire you because he's insane? Where could we go if we were fired? Best keep my mouth shut and never speak up.

And the WWE has done nothing to curb this culture of fear, because I'm sure they like it, it's the ultimate in backstage mind games bullshit. Push this guy, now stop the push, see how he reacts, do nothing with him, tell him creative has nothing for him, lets see if he'll have the stones to go talk to Vince. Blah blah blah blah would not shock me if this is just another layer of "testing".

The Dolph situation pisses me off because bitching on Twitter is literally counter productive, that doesn't say to me "I want to do better in this company" it's just bitching. and the thing is in this very thread people are saying there's a very vocal "We want Ziggler" chant when they watch. So what the gently caress even?

As a fellow manager this is pretty spot on.

Listen, it sucks, but its true, you have to be willing to talk and ask for what you want. Its what I did, hell i was some low level employee on the totem pole and I just kept asking for more and more, never waited for it to be given to me. You have no idea how easy it is as long as you produce results.

The thing is, as a manager or owner you are extremely busy and don't always have time to dive down into the weeds and try to pull poo poo up to greatness. I certainly don't have time to talk to all my employees about their career growth. It may be sad but its true, i got my own problems and my own life to worry about. The point is, it gets old always trying to create or invent or be resourceful. It actually gets tiring after a while and you just want someone else to help out and figure out how to making something work.

I've had employees come in and pitch me ideas and they were the most ingenious poo poo i've ever heard, something that so simple and so effective but i would of never thought of it myself. Its probably the same for Vince. He ain't got time to mold every superstar into something great, they need to help Vince and creative if they want to shape their direction.

If Zack Ryder doesn't like his gimmick go talk to Vince and management and pitch a better idea.
If Zigger wants to main event go to Vince with 50 pages of material that you can and pitch your idea. I'm not saying its going to work, but its better than sitting on the side line collecting checks until they give you the pink slip and tell you to pack your bags.

Hell Scott Hall's entire gimmick was a blatant ripoff of Scarface, a f'ing murdering drunk druggy walked into Vince's office, pitched the idea of Tonny Montana Vince loved it and now the guy who probably is going to die of Liver Failure is going into the Hall of Fame. If he didn't pitch this, he'd probably be forgotten and hes one of the most interesting Wrestlers the WWE/F has ever produced.

I say good for Scott Hall on this....good for him. If he acted like like Zack Ryder and Ziggler (who both, i enjoy watching a lot and wish they would get a better gimmick) he'd be a nobody.

In the end, its always your job to lose. You can blame politics, you can blame others, or you can blame yourself and do better. It may not work at your current job, its not always a promise but in the end its your life. You can either keep trying and push/sell yourself or you don't and just be bitter and a whiner. Your choice, no one else's...in the end i wont lose any sleep over it.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

The twitter bitching is dumb but the weirdness of Vince McMahon's moods, the 'you'll pry my spot from my cold dead hands' politics and the supposedly toxic creative atmosphere at WWE is far different than working your way to manager at a retail store or something else, though.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Vince is the same guy who gave someone his home phone number and said 'Call for anything', the guy called, Vince said 'Never call here again' and the guy was fired a week later.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

emjayo posted:

It really doesn't surprise me that some of these guys lack the people skills needed to knock on their boss' door and say "Got a minute?"

Rasslin'.

Can you blame them? Vince is famously fickle and prone to mood swings. If you sat down and talked to him about getting a push, you could end up winning the world title on the next PPV, or you could end up fired on the spot and buried on the next Raw.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

VogeGandire posted:

Can you blame them? Vince is famously fickle and prone to mood swings. If you sat down and talked to him about getting a push, you could end up winning the world title on the next PPV, or you could end up fired on the spot and buried on the next Raw.

Not entirely, and Dave's been saying for weeks that the atmosphere is very tense and talent's loathe to take chances.. Still, if you're sufficiently pissed off that you're willing to make passive-aggressive complaints on Twitter and essentially ensure that you'll never get pushed, you may as well gamble and talk to Vince directly first.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
I wish I could find the Stevie Richards interview where he discusses what happened when he approached Vince about his character/usage. I don't remember much of the details, but the condensed version is that Stevie sat down with Vince and said he thought he had something to offer, in the ring and storyline-wise, and he wanted to be used more, etc. Vince is receptive and says "Ok we'll see what we can do." At the next TV, Vince calls a meeting and shows video of a Stevie match, saying "THIS is the type of thing we're looking for, this is the type of selling we want from you guys..." and he's over-the-top praising Stevie. Then Stevie wasn't used at all and sat at home for months.

Optimist with doubt
May 16, 2010

Scoop Lover

:vince:

he knows...
It just seems to me the stories of vince having a wacko response to wanting to be used is at least less often then letting folks go out there and try.

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire

VogeGandire posted:

Where are the stories if guys getting fired on the spot for asking to be pushed?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

mkay0 posted:

Where are the stories if guys getting fired on the spot for asking to be pushed?

Rick Bogner and Mike Shaw, off the top of my head.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

DeathChicken posted:

Vince is the same guy who gave someone his home phone number and said 'Call for anything', the guy called, Vince said 'Never call here again' and the guy was fired a week later.
It was Rick Bogner/Titan, the fake Razor Ramon. The way he told it, his contract was coming up and he called Vince at home to see if anything else was going to be done with the character.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

basically if there's potentially a higher spot for you in the long-term then Vince will listen to you and take your ideas into account and if there isn't then being a squeaky wheel raises the likelihood you'll be shown the door.

Which is all to say Zack Ryder is probably smart not to put himself on Vince's radar.

Panamaniac
Jun 18, 2007

HEROES NEVER DIE
At this point, Vince has likely forgotten Ryder is still on the roster.
Like JTG.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Zack Ryder vs. JTG to highlght Mania 31. Best booking, or best booking?

SirDippingSauce
Oct 25, 2012

We're here to interrogate Manly Dan the lumberjack for the murder of wax Stan.

Solomonic posted:

It's the fourth man!

Hogan does play a mean air guitar, brother.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Ron Paul Hype Man posted:

Like JTG.

Dave has said that the company's decided that they'd really rather not fire people right now and that's why disgruntled workers like Ziggler and basically unsused guys like Tatsu and JTG are still collecting paychecks.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

Ron Paul Hype Man posted:

Like JTG.

I know that's mostly a joke but IIRC the reason JTG is still on the roster is because WWE would rather have guys sitting around doing nothing than have them go off and do shoot interviews and whatnot (and before that they didn't want to fire people in the middle of Linda's dumb runs for political office).

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
http://www.lolwrestling.com/how-long-has-jtg-been-employed/
Closing in on yet another year collecting cheques.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

VogeGandire posted:

Rick Bogner and Mike Shaw, off the top of my head.

If one of your examples is loving Fake Razor, that's a little spurious. Listen, I'm not saying Vince isn't nuts and doesn't do lovely things, but there have also been examples of guys talking to Vince and succeeding, and I think Dolph Ziggler probably has more cachet with the boss than Fake Razor.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

SamuraiFoochs posted:

If one of your examples is loving Fake Razor, that's a little spurious. Listen, I'm not saying Vince isn't nuts and doesn't do lovely things, but there have also been examples of guys talking to Vince and succeeding, and I think Dolph Ziggler probably has more cachet with the boss than Fake Razor.

Not really. There's no real established mid-card security, any of those guys could be replaced in pretty much a heartbeat from a business perspective. Now the audience might be pissed if Dolph got fired but ever since they got cold feet on him earlier on, his position has dropped like a rock.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.
At the end of the day it's probably not fair of us to muse on what's best for these guys. As much as I'd like to say Ziggler should just take the shot if he hasn't already, it is a pretty big life decision, and could be the difference between a six figure income traveling the world, and paycheck to paycheck driving to whatever promotion will have you.

I just think it's fairly ridiculous of the company to let it get that far in the first place, and to cultivate this atmosphere of not just fear, but repeated and blatant teasing. I mean, from your first day in FCW/NXT they reprogram you to their style, and want you to believe you'll never be successful anywhere but there. And then if you do work your way up the ranks, you get the rug pulled out from under you time and again, apparently until you just take a shot talking to Vince direct. And it's not like they're just totally incompetent and blind to the ability of a lot of these guys, is what I'm saying. It's quite purposeful.

Makes you wonder why they even have so many people under employ if Vince is the only one who can get anything meaningful done. Really, it makes me think literally everyone is scared of Vince and he's surrounded by a thousand yes-men in Titan Tower, all afraid to have their own opinion lest it be the wrong one, which is why asking him directly is literally the only way to confirm his feelings so they can work from there.

It just hurts their business more than anything else. Considering it's a performance and the performers aren't being utilized to the best of their ability.

OmegaBR fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Mar 2, 2014

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

On one of those legends of wrestling roundtables (maybe the worst characters one?) pat patterson talks about how mike shaw (or fred ottman, i forget) was frustrated with his gimmicks not going over, so pat suggested he talk to Vince, the one man who could fix his situation. he waited in a long line and when it was over pat asked him how he did and his reply was "not good, i just got my notice." and that was it for him.

emjayo
Apr 11, 2013

Let's post good tweets

Zeb posted:

"@AdamLMiles: @wwezeb When are you coming back to the great state of Alabama?". HOPEFULLY IN 2035.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
^^^I read that wrong and thought it was Adamle tweeting to him.

Ziggler's probably never going to get a main event level push, so he should just ask them to make him the King of Smackdown or something. Gain a reputation that it's his show and put him at the top there. It's sort of go-away token prestige, but doing new things with the B-show could at least get some people watching instead of rehashing this week's Raw/previewing next week's Raw.

Panamaniac
Jun 18, 2007

HEROES NEVER DIE

Some Other Guy posted:

On one of those legends of wrestling roundtables (maybe the worst characters one?) pat patterson talks about how mike shaw (or fred ottman, i forget) was frustrated with his gimmicks not going over, so pat suggested he talk to Vince, the one man who could fix his situation. he waited in a long line and when it was over pat asked him how he did and his reply was "not good, i just got my notice." and that was it for him.

But in that same roundtable, Foley said that he was worried about what he had been hearing as far as becoming "The Mutilator" when he was set to debut in WWF. He went and talked with Vince, and Vince laid it all out for him, and he told Vince something along the lines of "That's good, but what if we do it like this..." laying out some changes that eventually became Mankind.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think the point is that Vince is a fickle crazy man and the WWE backstage political game is an impossible quagmire. Some people have success using the exact same tactics others fail hard with. So it seems unfair to judge Ryder or Ziggler for not rolling the dice and hoping Vince is in a good mood if they've sent mixed signals with the backstage and corporate atmosphere.

Of course its also not productive to bitch on social media. But I don't really see the point of comparing it to what Mick Foley would have done considering Mick didn't have a Twitter account on those days he was feeling low and pissed off about his career. If he did he might very well have made the same mistakes in the heat of moments or at low points.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

He took the highbrow route of writing two books about it.

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

Not really. There's no real established mid-card security, any of those guys could be replaced in pretty much a heartbeat from a business perspective. Now the audience might be pissed if Dolph got fired but ever since they got cold feet on him earlier on, his position has dropped like a rock.

A former world champ who has worked there a decade has less stroke than a guy who did three horrible months with the company? Come on.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

mkay0 posted:

A former world champ who has worked there a decade has less stroke than a guy who did three horrible months with the company? Come on.

Yeah. I mean Ziggler took the loving Spirit Squad gimmick like a champ. I doubt Vince hates him.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I doubt Vince personally holds any more regard for Ziggler taking the Spirit Squad gimmick than he did for Ken Doane, Mike Mondo, Johnny Jeter, or that other guy.

If running with a bad gimmick scored you booking points than Ziggler would have main evented Wrestlemania just on being Kerwin White's caddy. Not to mention what Chavo would gave scored with that one.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

STAC Goat posted:

I doubt Vince personally holds any more regard for Ziggler taking the Spirit Squad gimmick than he did for Ken Doane, Mike Mondo, Johnny Jeter, or that other guy.

If running with a bad gimmick scored you booking points than Ziggler would have main evented Wrestlemania just on being Kerwin White's caddy. Not to mention what Chavo would gave scored with that one.

My whole point is that the comparison to Fake Razor was spurious because one of them worked for WWE for a few months as a Russoriffic gently caress you to WCW, and one of them is a guy that has worked for the company for almost 10 years, is viewed highly enough to have won MITB and had a title run, not to mention another not-quite title run in a program with Edge to main event Smackdown in the dying days of the brand split. I'm not saying talking to Vince would 100% do anything for Ziggler, I'm saying I doubt it'd get him fired like with Fake Razor, and what's he got to lose? Being MORE buried?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Somebody has used that fake Razor story for the umpteenth time? Who gives a poo poo about FAKE RAZOR? Hell he was an idiot for calling, he was obviously just being used for the moment.