Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

widunder
May 2, 2002

DandyLion posted:

I always assumed 'Verbal' was a bit of a double-entendre as well, since the name literally means "relating to or in the form of words", since he's constructing the story from words glimpsed around the office.
And according to Wikipedia, Söze means "to talk too much" in Turkish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

widunder posted:

And according to Wikipedia, Söze means "to talk too much" in Turkish.

Yeah - one of the things that really is subtle is that Kujan is right and Keyser Soze doesn't exist. That's what Verbal means when he says "the greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist". If you believe in the myth of Keyser Soze, then you don't believe Verbal is the crime lord; if you don't believe, then you don't believe the crime lord exists either. Either way Verbal is protected from suspicion.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

tagelthebagel posted:

My favorite subtle Ghostbuster (RIP Harold Ramis) moment is when they describe on their first bust how much it will cost. I did not catch it when I was a kid so maybe you will like it too. They did not know what to charge so Peter keeps looking at Egon. Watch Egon in the pricing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGiH5HR8W38

I think watching it for years on TV or on video, the formatting the picture cut Egon out. Then it becomes ingrained on your mind. I only noticed it several years ago when I bought the widescreen DVD.

Not really subtle, but I still lose it in GB 2, in the court scene, when Venkman calls the prosecutor "kitten".

edit: This has now put me in the mood to watch Ghostbusters.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I know a lot of people are down on GB2, but I really liked it as a kid. I haven't seen it in...14, 15 years though.

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

Lotish posted:

I know a lot of people are down on GB2, but I really liked it as a kid. I haven't seen it in...14, 15 years though.

Please preserve this fond memory by never watching it again

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Lotish posted:

I was around 4 when I saw Ghostbusters 1 and the Librarian ghost scared the poo poo out of me. My mom showed me how it was fake by making a tiny flip book :3:

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
Everybody, just stop posting.
Please.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Rick Moranis' character is great. He's really in love with this woman but is totally cool with rejection and even says she should bring her date to his party. He hosts a badass party with a great budget. And, when this hot chicks about to leave he tells her not to go and instead they should dance. Then they do. Even when he hears a horrible hellbeast from his bedroom, his response is "Okay guys, who brought the dog" and grins really big. Dude's not even pissed, let's the party keep rolling.

Also he lures the beast away from his apartment to prevent it from terrorizing his party guests.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Rick Moranis is basically awesome.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

LoonShia posted:

Rick Moranis is basically awesome.

I would love to see him start acting again, now that his kids are grown up. I think he would fit in with Wes Anderson's usual group.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.
I would pay good money to see "Honey I shrunk the grandkids" or what ever.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Coffee And Pie posted:

I would love to see him start acting again, now that his kids are grown up. I think he would fit in with Wes Anderson's usual group.

His albums are okay. You should check out the episode of Bullseye he was on last year. Good interview.

Conal Cochran
Dec 2, 2013

In Spider-Man at the parade Mary Jane is wearing a red dress. Harry asks her why she didn't wear the black dress because his father loves black. Later, during Thanksgiving, she is wearing a black dress. Harry says she looks beautiful and Mary Jane seems to really want to make a good impression.

In the opening credits of Trick 'R Treat they show several scenes in comic book panel form. One of the scenes is a silhouette of the trick r' treaters walking against a red background. The panel is almost identical to the poster for Halloween 3.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Conal Cochran posted:

In Spider-Man at the parade Mary Jane is wearing a red dress. Harry asks her why she didn't wear the black dress because his father loves black. Later, during Thanksgiving, she is wearing a black dress. Harry says she looks beautiful and Mary Jane seems to really want to make a good impression.

In the opening credits of Trick 'R Treat they show several scenes in comic book panel form. One of the scenes is a silhouette of the trick r' treaters walking against a red background. The panel is almost identical to the poster for Halloween 3.

The Trick 'R Treat one makes total sense. Halloween 3 is a real horror movie buff favorite.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

In Matchstick Men, Cage's pills at the beginning are diphenhydramine. Benadryl, an (active) placebo, just like the later pills are revealed to be at the end. I don't know if that was direction or prop design, but it works.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

Whats an active placebo :confused:

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014

Seaside Loafer posted:

Whats an active placebo :confused:

A pill which has no medical effects on whatever condition you think you have, but produces side effects.

So you go "Oh, these pills make me sleepy and give me constipation, they must be real medicine" and it works better.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
But diphenhydramine is actually a legitimate antihistamine - it can be injected to treat anaphylaxis, and that's not "oh well now I'm sleepy so I guess my allergies are better" - so in what way is it a placebo?

Subtle TV moments:

Game of Thrones, season 1 episode 2, when Sansa still thinks she's going to marry Prince Joffrey and have a fairy tale, and then Arya goes all swordy at Joff and ruins Sansa's future:

that blade placement

Dwarf
Oct 21, 2010
What, it's at Sansa's throat?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

InediblePenguin posted:

But diphenhydramine is actually a legitimate antihistamine - it can be injected to treat anaphylaxis, and that's not "oh well now I'm sleepy so I guess my allergies are better" - so in what way is it a placebo?

You can give people a drug with genuine effects that doesn't treat their condition.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

Dwarf posted:

What, it's at Sansa's throat?

Yes, she is symbolically/visually decapitating her sister in the shot the way she is decapitating her sister's hopes and dreams in the plot

(I mean, not that Sansa and Joffrey would have worked out if it weren't for Arya, just that's definitely how Sansa saw what was happening at the time)

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

InediblePenguin posted:

Subtle TV moments:

Game of Thrones, season 1 episode 2, when Sansa still thinks she's going to marry Prince Joffrey and have a fairy tale, and then Arya goes all swordy at Joff and ruins Sansa's future:

that blade placement

I don't know if it's subtle but Arya's pet wolf (each of the kids had a wolf) attacks Joffrey and gets away. So instead they kill Sansa's. Sansa sold out her family to the royals and her wolf (her family symbol) dies.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?
The Lego Movie

When Emmet and Wyldstyle enter the Old West Saloon, there's a guy playing the piano. It took a second viewing, but the tune he's playing? "Everything is Awesome."

Another thing: during Wyldstyle's backstory synopsis, she mentions how before Lord Business walled off the realms, people could travel where they wanted and build what they wanted. As an example of this, we see Cleopatra and a wind-up robot minifig building something together before being separated by a wall.

Fast forward to the end of the movie, as everybody's celebrating their victory, who's that to the left of the heroes, dancing together again? Cleopatra and the wind-up robot.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

Jedit posted:

You can give people a drug with genuine effects that doesn't treat their condition.

Which usage of diphenhydramine is the case in which it is an active placebo? I know it's used as an antihistamine - which it actually does - and as a sedative - another thing it actually does - so it's not those.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

InediblePenguin posted:

Which usage of diphenhydramine is the case in which it is an active placebo? I know it's used as an antihistamine - which it actually does - and as a sedative - another thing it actually does - so it's not those.

I don't remember the use in the movie, but some people will take things (most often I find tylenol, but also sometimes benedryl/diphenhydramine) as a "medicine" to treat whatever is bothering them even if the drug in question wouldn't really have any effect.

El Fappo
Dec 26, 2012

InediblePenguin posted:

The character has OCD, which is a condition that usually isn't treated with antihistamines or sedatives.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
In the Mothman Prophecy, Cline gets a wake up call he didn't order at his hotel and the person says "This is your one wake up call". It's Indrid Cole giving him one chance to walk away from it all.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Neo Helbeast posted:

In the Mothman Prophecy, Cline gets a wake up call he didn't order at his hotel and the person says "This is your one wake up call". It's Indrid Cole giving him one chance to walk away from it all.

Pretty sure it's not Indrid Cold calling on that occasion. The rest I'll give you. Good movie, that, even if Richard Gere was good in it.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

I was watching Disney's Alice in Wonderland today, and realized that Fix-It Felix from Wreck-It Ralph is modeled on the Carpenter from the story Tweedle-Dee and Tweedle-Dum tell Alice.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Nth Doctor posted:

I was watching Disney's Alice in Wonderland today, and realized that Fix-It Felix from Wreck-It Ralph is modeled on the Carpenter from the story Tweedle-Dee and Tweedle-Dum tell Alice.

Also King Candy is lifted wholesale from Ed Wynn's performance of The Mad Hatter.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop
In Puppetmaster, Dana's obsession with wards and protective talismans is supposed to be kind of crazy and show how unhinged she is, but the only person she gives the mark of protection to is also the only member of the team of psychics who survives.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

In Puppetmaster, Dana's obsession with wards and protective talismans is supposed to be kind of crazy and show how unhinged she is, but the only person she gives the mark of protection to is also the only member of the team of psychics who survives.

Holy crap. I'm kind of a Puppet Master nerd, and you just blew my mind. Seriously, I've lost track of how many times I've seen it, and a couple months ago I got the Blu Ray as part of the deal for joining Full Moon's streaming service.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
The entirety of Pacific Rim is built up to a bad pun.

One of the Jaegers has to blow itself up, making it a Jaegerbomb

:haw:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Neo Helbeast posted:

Goddamn Mothman Prophecy. I felt nervous going outside in the dark for a week after I saw that. Especially around the train tracks where they had the red signal lights. Went around to all my friends saying they absolutely had to see it, and they did and just asked me wtf my deal was. :smith:

Does the whole thing it has going on with the y-shape and the red lights count as subtle movie moments?

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

My Lovely Horse posted:

Goddamn Mothman Prophecy. I felt nervous going outside in the dark for a week after I saw that. Especially around the train tracks where they had the red signal lights. Went around to all my friends saying they absolutely had to see it, and they did and just asked me wtf my deal was. :smith:

Does the whole thing it has going on with the y-shape and the red lights count as subtle movie moments?

Maybe not for whole movie but definitely with the bridge scene at the end. In like the first second of it's panning shot while the top is out of focus, its top lights switch from blue to red.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

InediblePenguin posted:

An active placebo gives you side effects that make you believe it's not a placebo.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

InediblePenguin posted:

I believe that the sedative effects become tolerated very, very quickly. So if you're a habitual taker who's on it daily, it's not doing anything for you in that regard.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

AlternateAccount posted:

I believe that the sedative effects become tolerated very, very quickly. So if you're a habitual taker who's on it daily, it's not doing anything for you in that regard.

I take around 175 mg a night and it takes about 2 hours to kick in and goes away in about 30 minutes.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.
Diphenhydramine and other antihistamines that double as sedatives don't even touch me. My wife on the other hand takes half a benadryl and she is knocked the gently caress out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I love Vicodin. It was the best part of removing my wisdom teeth.