Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Chemmy posted:

If you win like 90% of your games you should move up.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

In good news, we won 3-1 and grabbed the #1 seed for the playoffs next week. Ended up with a 20-2-2 record.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

That's 83.333333% :colbert:

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Chemmy posted:

If you win like 90% of your games you should move up.

I've been in the position of a team that can squeeze out 1-goal wins for 90% of their games and get utterly thrashed in the next division up, it sucks.

I've also been beaten by the same team going like 12-1 on the season whose goal differential is like, +14 total, and not really felt any resentment towards them.

lovely situation all around for the team and the guy trying to "balance" the league.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

My team has lost 5 games in a row :smith:

But the beer is cold :unsmith:

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
If your team is nearly undefeated it doesn't really matter if you're only winning by one or two goals each time, you're too good for the competition. Getting crushed every game starting out in a higher division sucks, but that's how you improve. You're not gonna get any better stomping the same teams every week.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

I've only ever been on the other side of the coin where we get crushed every season and moved lower. This is the third league where my team has been put into the lowest division. The silver lining is we're at least 2-4 right now, yay! :toot:

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

That one win was a forfeit

We actually played the #1 team pretty close last week and lost 4-2, they must have been missing some people.

e: Not updated with our loss from Wednesday, our goal differential is now -114.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I feel bad for your goalie :smith:

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

What goalie are you talking about?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The goalie who already hosed off to the bar and is pounding shots.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home
Last year we had a goalie who we nicknamed "Shotgun" because he used to shotgun beers every game. To be fair he at least waited until AFTER the game.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Pretty sure all of my goalies drink before games. I highly encourage it.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

I would say half my team drinks at least 1 before a game. We have 3 guys who don't drink at all though. Makes it hard to kill the whole 30 pack after the game if we are short guys and the 3 of them aren't helping. Beerleague problems.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

canuckanese posted:

I feel bad for your goalie :smith:

He deals with it pretty well, all things considered.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

Thufir posted:

That one win was a forfeit

We actually played the #1 team pretty close last week and lost 4-2, they must have been missing some people.

e: Not updated with our loss from Wednesday, our goal differential is now -114.
Jesus does every league have an Orange Crush in them?

It makes it better/worse that the team is captained by a guy who works for PepsiCo so they have legit Orange Crush logos on their jerseys.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Thufir posted:

He deals with it pretty well, all things considered.

Does he have the suicide hotline on speed dial?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

real_scud posted:

It makes it better/worse that the team is captained by a guy who works for PepsiCo so they have legit Orange Crush logos on their jerseys.

tbf Orange Crush is loving delicious. Lame name for a team, but delicious.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Christmas came early for 2 of my teams. Just got 14 metric tons of team swag for everyone and their kids.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

real_scud posted:

My inline league has both a Cobra Kai and a Crush team.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Christmas came early for 2 of my teams. Just got 14 metric tons of team swag for everyone and their kids.

Umm ... thats a lot of loving stuff. Did you buy your entire league new jerseys?

EvilTwig
Jan 31, 2001

The thumbnail image makes it look like everyone is getting KFC

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Verman posted:

Umm ... thats a lot of loving stuff. Did you buy your entire league new jerseys?

It's t-shirts and hoodies and stuff. Literally everyone ordered poo poo for themselves, their wives and kids. Which is cool cause it made my poo poo cheaper :cool:

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
I volunteer as a big brother and recently got my little brother into playing hockey. I played a ton in high but moved to a place with no ice for college. Now back in an area with a rink and him playing, I've got the bug to play again. I've got a pair of CCM Prolite 3s from the mid-90s with one of the blade screws that sheared off. It looks like 18 odd years finally took it toll. Where can I find replacement screws, local shop doesn't have them? I was looking on Ice Warehouse and saw replacement set but not sure if they'd fit, I'm assuming the will.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Any pro shop worth having a sharpener should have the tools to fix that. Just head somewhere locally and I bet they'll get you fixed up.

love on the cheap
Aug 5, 2008
Does anyone play hockey in Cedar Rapids? I'll be working there for an internship and would like to join a summer beginners league.

I'll be leaving for Stockholm soon until summer, so if anyone knows a good place to learn how to skate there let me know!

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
Six on the bench last night, thanks to getting some snow in Pittsburgh. I was dragging rear end halfway through the second. One kid on the team (looked to be about 19, but who knows) just kept exhorting us all to just "skate hard." I can only skate hard for so long, dude! Didn't help that the few times I tried to sub out, someone else would come off and put me right back over the boards. I probably had like 55 minutes of ice time in that game.

We wound up losing 6-5. I scored a neat one (first time I ever managed to kick the puck up to my stick for a backhander) to tie it at 5 with less than two minutes left. Went off immediately since I had no juice, and the other team scored the gwg with less than a minute left.

:negative:

Not sure how I feel about this league; the teams don't seem very balanced, but it could just be that we lose every game.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Took a hard wrister between my pants and bottom of my shoulder pads, right in the gut. Hurts like hell.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I took a shot yesterday that got stuck in the seam between the side rolls of the goalie's pad.

Had a good laugh. It stayed there for another ten minutes of practice.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Took a hard wrister between my pants and bottom of my shoulder pads, right in the gut. Hurts like hell.

I prevent this problem by being too short to have unprotected space there.

Deadly Intersection posted:

Does anyone play hockey in Cedar Rapids? I'll be working there for an internship and would like to join a summer beginners league.

I'll be leaving for Stockholm soon until summer, so if anyone knows a good place to learn how to skate there let me know!

If no Cedar Rapids hockey goons speak up, I know a guy I can ask. It may take me a while to get in touch with him, though.

Pinky Artichoke fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Mar 4, 2014

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
Man I loving love beating that rear end in a top hat team in our league. Full of loving dickheads who love to try to injure people and then act aghast when a penalty is called against them.

Tonight their 'captain' decided to knock a stick out of one of our players hands, and then while the puck was still around them he kept knocking our players stick farther and farther out of reach. Of course he gets a penalty called and is then livid that he got called for something, and also called our entire team scrubs.

We sure were scrubs when we then scored on the PP and kept the lead for the remaining 2 periods. :smuggo:

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
So Bradf0rd and I got back from the Lafayette tourney this last weekend. Finished 3-0-1 and had a fairly good time glutting ourselves with the local food.

We did get another perspective on how bad southern rinks can get and that we're a bit luckier in Austin. We typically bitch about how we can't see the lines, that one area near the zam doors has bad boards and a stick graveyard along the yellow, and generally that the ice is too thin.

Holy shitballs the Lafayette rink was worse. The glass was leaning away from the ice, the boards were laid out in serpentine up and down both ends, a few of the lights were out and under-powered, there was no crease to be seen at all, the goal line was about a foot back out of position, the ice itself was grippy, bumpy, and full of deep cuts you could catch a whole blade in, and the zam doors had not so much a slope but a canyon where I'm sure people have broken their ankles or legs. Two of their locker rooms can't fit adult teams, the benches were literally on top of the coils for the compressors so we sat about a two feet off the ice, and the Zam itself seemed incapable of shaving and laying down a consistent layer of water.

It made the Austin rink seem half professional. I don't think we'll be bitching about it for another week.

Also the upper level championship game was about as tryhard goony as you'd expect. They were pile-driving each other's goalies. I think one of them got DDT'ed.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Pinky Artichoke posted:

I prevent this problem by being too short to have unprotected space there.

I'm short too, plus after I fractured a couple ribs last year, I now wear padding for my ribs as well. There's like a 2x2" area on the front where I'm not padded, and of course the puck has laser-guidance to the one spot.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

real_scud posted:

Man I loving love beating that rear end in a top hat team in our league. Full of loving dickheads who love to try to injure people and then act aghast when a penalty is called against them.

Tonight their 'captain' decided to knock a stick out of one of our players hands, and then while the puck was still around them he kept knocking our players stick farther and farther out of reach. Of course he gets a penalty called and is then livid that he got called for something, and also called our entire team scrubs.

We sure were scrubs when we then scored on the PP and kept the lead for the remaining 2 periods. :smuggo:

I love those guys. They commit a text book penalty and then fly off the handle when they get called for it. It happened in our game a couple weeks ago, his stick when right in one of our players skates and he got tripped. Got a penalty called, flipped out at the ref and got an unsportsmanlike tacked on to it too. Meanwhile I'm at the faceoff dot talking to another center on their team like what is his problem and even the guys on his own team are like yeah I don't know that was a tripping penalty all day.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

I'm short too, plus after I fractured a couple ribs last year, I now wear padding for my ribs as well. There's like a 2x2" area on the front where I'm not padded, and of course the puck has laser-guidance to the one spot.

That's terribly unfair.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Anyone have on opinion on why this advice is important?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgEHrq59czk

My best guess is that by keeping the puck on the stick longer you can feel the puck on the stick rather than watching the puck, but that's just a guess.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

It's more fluid. He's exaggerating the motion a bit for the sake of instruction but he's not wrong. He's promoting a smoother, more controlled way of stickhandling.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

xzzy posted:

Anyone have on opinion on why this advice is important?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgEHrq59czk

My best guess is that by keeping the puck on the stick longer you can feel the puck on the stick rather than watching the puck, but that's just a guess.

Maybe it helps protect the puck a bit from poke checks too?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Dude can't do it standing still for a video.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Bootcha posted:

Holy shitballs the Lafayette rink was worse. The glass was leaning away from the ice, the boards were laid out in serpentine up and down both ends, a few of the lights were out and under-powered, there was no crease to be seen at all, the goal line was about a foot back out of position, the ice itself was grippy, bumpy, and full of deep cuts you could catch a whole blade in, and the zam doors had not so much a slope but a canyon where I'm sure people have broken their ankles or legs. Two of their locker rooms can't fit adult teams, the benches were literally on top of the coils for the compressors so we sat about a two feet off the ice, and the Zam itself seemed incapable of shaving and laying down a consistent layer of water.

This was near the end of the second period the game before ours...

But hey, we got trophy beads with the championship win :woop: and we were greeted for our first game on Friday at 11:00 pm with this:

The beer and vodka were done before we left the rink for the night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!
Our league now has live iCal updates.. they even send lockeroom assignments to your calendar.