Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial
X-post from trading thread:

Does anyone have any pokerus 'mon they could trade me? Getting pretty sick of super-training.

If you can help me evolve my Phantump that would be great too!

IGN R. Lazz 5026-5879-0994

e: done thanks!

Ristolaz fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Mar 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Bongo Bill posted:

Sturdy Avalugg with Mirror Coat is the best defensive Ice type.

This guy knows what's up.

:hfive:

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Zore posted:

I might have destroyed my cart if Ice started resisting Grass.

The last thing Grass of all types needs is more things to be ineffective against. Its already the most resisted type!

I still say that Fairy should have been weak to/resisted by Ice. Also, Grass should resist/be immune to Fairy.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
I've searched high and low, and I still haven't found a Zangoose with Toxic Boost. Can anyone help me? I have Adamant Marvel Scale Dratinis with 5IVs to offer.

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

The ghost of a god is no man.
I'm trying to put together a team that lets M-Mawile dominate in singles. I'm breeding a Timid Magic Bounce Espeon with a Focus Sash as a suicide lead to set up Trick Room. The Focus Sash is just to ensure it can survive getting hit by a speedier Pokemon long enough to seve its purpose, but it also means that against a slower opponent with no priority, it can get in an extra move. Should I load it up with Reflect and Light Screen to use that turn for buffing, to give M-Mawile an extra advantage, or Psyshock/Shadow Ball/Dazzling Gleam to try and get in some damage before setting up? Or a mix of both?

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

So like I said, not my fault. Nobody can judge me for it.
But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.
Human teenager Rainbow Dash was hot!

Ratspeaker posted:

I'm trying to put together a team that lets M-Mawile dominate in singles. I'm breeding a Timid Magic Bounce Espeon with a Focus Sash as a suicide lead to set up Trick Room. The Focus Sash is just to ensure it can survive getting hit by a speedier Pokemon long enough to serve its purpose, but it also means that against a slower opponent with no priority, it can get in an extra move. Should I load it up with Reflect and Light Screen to use that turn for buffing, to give M-Mawile an extra advantage, or Psyshock/Shadow Ball/Dazzling Gleam to try and get in some damage before setting up? Or a mix of both?

I'd use a mix of attacking moves and support. You gotta think about what is going to come out against Mawile to counter it, and plan for that so Reflect will help mitigate some of the damage from the more common Ground types and Light Screen will give you a chance against the fairly common Fire type moves. Also I don't really know the composition of the rest of your team but you should consider a second Trick Room setter because Mawile is going to need more support than just Espeon.

Leveling
Oct 30, 2012

Ratspeaker posted:

I'm trying to put together a team that lets M-Mawile dominate in singles. I'm breeding a Timid Magic Bounce Espeon with a Focus Sash as a suicide lead to set up Trick Room. The Focus Sash is just to ensure it can survive getting hit by a speedier Pokemon long enough to seve its purpose, but it also means that against a slower opponent with no priority, it can get in an extra move. Should I load it up with Reflect and Light Screen to use that turn for buffing, to give M-Mawile an extra advantage, or Psyshock/Shadow Ball/Dazzling Gleam to try and get in some damage before setting up? Or a mix of both?
Trick Room has a priority of -7, so Espeon will go last regardless of the opponent's speed.
Also, it only last 5turns, including the launching turn, so I don't think you would have the time to setup Trick Rooms and walls effectively.
Is it really useful to use TR in the first turns? You could always send off a better setter later in the game when your opponent couldn't stop you to use TR, if Taunters / Sporers were your problem.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

For a second trick room setter, I would suggest Slowbro. He's able to switch in on most fire attacks, and then either heal off damage with slack off or hit hard with scald. Ice-beam/Psyshock/flamethrower do well to cover Mawile's weaknesses.

Dusclopes (or however you spell it) can do it pretty well too, but it gets absolutely ruined by knock off, while slowbro can still function without leftovers. Also, slowbro is a fat bipedal pink hippo, so you really can't get better than that.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Mar 2, 2014

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

horriblePencilist posted:

I've searched high and low, and I still haven't found a Zangoose with Toxic Boost. Can anyone help me? I have Adamant Marvel Scale Dratinis with 5IVs to offer.

This must be what it's like to be hell banned :negative:

I could reset my Pokemon Dream Radar save file by deleting and downloading the game, right? I could get infinite legendaries real easy that way.

e: I bit the bullet and bought Pokemon X. I'm gonna make a new game in german so I can get all the sweet foreign Dittos.

horriblePencilist fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Mar 3, 2014

Irate Sausage
Nov 7, 2009

I've got a few extra if you'd like to trade, friend code is 5327-1072-3424

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Is there any way to get my hands on a Houndoomite if I am playing X? My brother is crazy for Houndoom and got X because it had Houndoom without realizing you can only get the item to mega evolve in Y.

Congratulations! You Won.
Mar 21, 2007

THE FUTURE IS UNWRITTEN

Yes, trade with someone who has Y for their mega stone.

I would give you mine but I like Houndoom also :v:

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

avlein posted:

Ice is an amazing offensive type that has the distinction of being one of the few types being able to hit Dragons for SE until Gen VI. It's designed around being a super offensive typing that takes severe damage in return, an ice glass cannon if you will.

The fact that it's not weak to ground moves is good enough.

Yeah, Ice types just seem to have too many weaknesses. When I tried to use a Swinub, that plus the fact that it didn't have many good moves to start with kind of put me off on the idea.

For HeartGold, will having Ice Fang on Feraligatr be enough Ice coverage to get me through the Dragon gym/Elite Four? Also, what would be a good replacement for Mamoswine?

Currently using Feraligatr, Ampharos, Heracross, Crobat, and Haunter/Gengar. My original sixth member was a Graveller/Golem, but I'm not sure if there's a better Ground type around.

I'm thinking that Steelix, Rhydon/Rhyperior or Tyranitar might be good choices(even if Tyranitar isn't technically a Ground type, it's still beefy enough to use Earthquake effectively). Any suggestions?

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Ba Donk a Bonk posted:

Yes, trade with someone who has Y for their mega stone.

I would give you mine but I like Houndoom also :v:

Yeah seems like a pretty tough trade considering Mega Manectric is so dumb looking compared to the awesome Mega Houndoom.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

This must be what it's like to be hell banned :negative:
Gimme just a few minutes to breed some up, I would love a Marvel Scale Dratini.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
^^^ Looks like someone beat you to it. Got anything else to offer, maybe?

Irate Sausage posted:

I've got a few extra if you'd like to trade, friend code is 5327-1072-3424

You're a saint. FC is 2406-5135-4070, IGN is Serena.

Also, should I run Shadow Claw or Night Slash on my Zangoose? I'm thinking Shadow Claw since Fairy doesn't resist Ghost, but then again, Normal is immune...

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Also, should I run Shadow Claw or Night Slash on my Zangoose? I'm thinking Shadow Claw since Fairy doesn't resist Ghost, but then again, Normal is immune...

I'd run Shadow Claw since Ghost is resisted by less types. Normal being immune would only be an issue on switch in's (someone calling Shadow Claw) and then you can just club them with Toxic Boosted Facade next turn.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

^^^ Looks like someone beat you to it. Got anything else to offer, maybe?
Ah crap, how did I get ninja'd like that?

Offerwise, I've got 5 IV Larvitar with Pursuit/Outrage/Stealth Rock/Dragon Dance, 4 and 5 IV Jolly Rough Skin Gible with Iron Tail/Iron Head/Outrage, and a couple Regenerator Slowpokes in Luxury Balls.

FC: 1736 0748 2121
Andy

E: Anyone who wants one of these, come to the trade thread, I'm happy to give them away.

fade5 fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Mar 3, 2014

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

fade5 posted:

Ah crap, how did I get ninja'd like that?

Offerwise, I've got 5 IV Larvitar with Pursuit/Outrage/Stealth Rock/Dragon Dance, 4 and 5 IV Jolly Rough Skin Gible with Iron Tail/Iron Head/Outrage, and a couple Regenerator Slowpokes in Luxury Balls.

FC: 1736 0748 2121
Andy

E: Anyone who wants one of these, come to the trade thread, I'm happy to give them away.

Those Larvitars sound awesome. Oh, and did I mention the Dratini has Aqua Jet and Extreme Speed? Anyway, I added you.

e: Thanks for the trades, both of you!

horriblePencilist fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Mar 3, 2014

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
I just caught this beauty:

Zygarde - #718 (Adamant)
HP: 31
Att: 31
Def: 31
SpA: 25
SpD: 31
Speed: 31

Anyone know any good Zygarde nicknames?

Zoran fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Mar 3, 2014

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Those Larvitars sound awesome. Oh, and did I mention the Dratini has Aqua Jet and Extreme Speed? Anyway, I added you.

e: Thanks for the trades, both of you!
You're quite welcome! Now to put together Dragonite's moveset, hopefully without tutors being required.

What the gently caress, Dragonite learns Fire Punch, Thunder Punch, Aqua Tail, Dragon Dance, and Outrage by level-up?:stare: God drat, finally, one Pokemon that doesn't need tutors or egg move breeding; now I've just got to figure out a moveset.

E: Any suggestions for an Adamant Dragonite? Screw breeding, this guy's ready to go as is.

fade5 fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Mar 3, 2014

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

fade5 posted:

You're quite welcome! Now to put together Dragonite's moveset, hopefully without tutors being required.

What the gently caress, Dragonite learns Fire Punch, Thunder Punch, Aqua Tail, Dragon Dance, and Outrage by level-up?:stare: God drat, finally, one Pokemon that doesn't need tutors or egg move breeding; now I've just got to figure out a moveset.

E: Any suggestions for an Adamant Dragonite? Screw breeding, this guy's ready to go as is.

Yeah, I had the luxury of getting this guy through wondertrade, and minus the 5 IVs he was identical to the one I gave you. It's nice to not have to deal with breeding shenanigans once in a while.

e: Anyway, the hottest trend for Dragonite right now is
Dragonite @ Weakness Policy
Adamant, Multiscale
4 HP, 252 Att, 252 Spe
Outrage/Dragon Claw
Extreme Speed/Earthquake
Dragon Dance
Fire Punch/Roost

Dragonite's typing baits a SE move, which triggers the Weakness Policy. Thanks to Multiscale, at full HP he can survive just about anything unboosted that isn't called Cloyster, and then it's sweeping time.

horriblePencilist fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Mar 3, 2014

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

fade5 posted:

Personally, I've had a lot of luck with D-Dance, Fire Punch, Earthquake, Dragon Claw, holding a Lum Berry and maxed Atk and Speed. Outrage used to be the Dragon attack of choice, but since they can switch to a Fairy now, that's not quite as good an idea as it once was.

You can also run Roost over EQ, if you prefer bulky boosts, but then you need to get more complicated with EV training, too.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Yeah, I had the luxury of getting this guy through wondertrade, and minus the 5 IVs he was identical to the one I gave you. It's nice to not have to deal with breeding shenanigans once in a while.

e: Anyway, the hottest trend for Dragonite right now is
Dragonite @ Weakness Policy
Adamant, Multiscale
4 HP, 252 Att, 252 Spe
Outrage/Dragon Claw
Extreme Speed/Earthquake
Dragon Dance
Fire Punch/Roost

Dragonite's typing baits a SE move, which triggers the Weakness Policy. Thanks to Multiscale, at full HP he can survive just about anything unboosted that isn't called Cloyster, and then it's sweeping time.

It also gets OHKO'd by Life Orb/Expert Belt Greninja's Ice Beam. Which is really common online.
e:spelling

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Then don't stay in on Greninja! :v:

No, but seriously, yeah, that's actually an issue. Team Preview is a thing, thankfully, so you can usually see it coming.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
Have you had any luck with getting legendaries through GTS? I've gotten a Xerneas for a female Cyndaquil, but nothing's been biting when I was asking for an Arcticuno. I'm thinking of asking for one of the Regis next, though I'm skeptical about the results.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

The Leper Colon V posted:

Then don't stay in on Greninja! :v:

No, but seriously, yeah, that's actually an issue. Team Preview is a thing, thankfully, so you can usually see it coming.

Lots of people do for some reason. Also you can't switch out if Dragonite is your last pokemon!

Stalgren
Mar 22, 2006

Charizard Go!

Zoran posted:

If anyone's wondering what I used to get all the trophies in the Battle Maison, this is it:
  • Singles: Originally I used my own Specs Hydreigon / Bulky DD Gyarados / Mega Scizor team to get the 50 streak. That was pretty easy, but I couldn't get past the 80 win mark in my hunt for the Lansat and Starf berries. To do that, I used Smogon user Cardio's Dragonite, Mega Kangakshan, & Azumarill team verbatim. There are very few things that force out Lum Dragon Dance Dragonite; mostly Ice types who can take a hit and OHKO through Multi-Scale. To deal with them, I usually switched to Azumarill.

• Doubles: Modified version of MechaGodzilla's team: Garchomp, Gengar, Gyarados, & Mega Scizor. My Gyarados was Jolly and had Protect over Dragon Dance.

• Multi: Used my Doubles team with a friend. I had Garchomp and Mega Scizor, he had Gengar and Gyarados.

• Triples: I stole Eppie's team: Talonflame, Mega Blastoise, & Greninja, backed up by Rotom-W, Togekiss, & Garchomp. This is a great team that trivializes most battles, but Triple Battles are annoyingly slow.

• Rotation: Took Aussieman00's team: Gyarados, Ferrothorn, & Volcarona, backed up by Gliscor. The FWG core is pretty solid, but I think Rotation might be the hardest game mode other than Multi with an AI partner. A lot of things can go wrong in rotation battles.

Do the trophies do anything? Were there ribbons?

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Stalgren posted:

Do the trophies do anything? Were there ribbons?

The trophies don't do anything but sit there and look pretty. Every Pokémon that defeats a Battle Chatelaine in the Super Battles gets the Expert Battler Ribbon.

The only other rewards are the Lansat and Starf berries, at 100 and 200 wins in a row, respectively. They can be mixed to produce Rare Soda, a better version of Rare Candies. But you can get the berries in a trade instead of grinding out the win streaks, if you prefer.

Plus there's the massive amount of BP you get along the way.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
What's a good Avalugg build (ability/nature/egg moves)? I've gotten lucky and bred/chained four shinies (Skiddo, Binacle, Noibat, Pancham) from this generation, am currently chaining for a Swirlix (I keep losing 33 battles in :negative:), and figured might as well breed for a shiny Bergmite to complete the set for when I reset.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Desperate Character posted:

What's a good Avalugg build (ability/nature/egg moves)? I've gotten lucky and bred/chained four shinies (Skiddo, Binacle, Noibat, Pancham) from this generation, am currently chaining for a Swirlix (I keep losing 33 battles in :negative:), and figured might as well breed for a shiny Bergmite to complete the set for when I reset.

Sturdy/Brave or Impish/Mirror Coat

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Yeah, Mirror Coat is the only Egg Move worth getting. For his other moves, I've been using Avalanche as his main attack because he's so slow. He has access to EQ, Stone Edge and Gyro Ball, but also some weird ones like Rapid Spin, Curse and Recover by level up. Sturdy + Mirror Coat is hilarious but you have to watch for hazards because if his sturdy is broken and he gets hit with any special attack he is going down really fast. Against physical attacks though, he can take hits all day. Fairly certain I managed to survive a +2 Flare Blitz from Talonflame even taking super effective damage. I could be wrong though.

My recommendation is to run Avalanche, Mirror Coat, and then decide if you want move attack coverage (his attack stat is pretty great) or utility with Rapid Spin or Recover. Curse could be fun and I tried it for a while but it can be tough to set up without being broken through. Curse runs well with Gyro Ball though.

FPzero fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Mar 3, 2014

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
Hmm, alright I think I'll go with:
Dragonite @ Lum Berry
252 Atk, 4 Def, 252 Speed
Adamant, Multiscale
-Dragon Dance
-Dragon Claw
-Extreme Speed
-Fire Punch

I've got Garchomp for Dragon Claw/Earthquake, and I really want some priority. I've been having fun with DD-Megatar as a sweeper, but a non-sandstorm on would probably work better with Dragonite. I'll also want to get rid of Stealth Rock, so I'll bite the Bullet:v: and try Defog Mega-Scizor.

I know I've got two X4 Ice weaknesses now, but I run a slightly non-typical Garchomp that is pretty good at negating that:
Garchomp@ Focus Sash
4 HP, 252 Atk, 252 Speed
Jolly
-Swords Dance
-Dragon Claw
-Rock Slide
-Earthquake
Come in, Swords Dance up, eat the expected Ice or Dragon attack, respond with Dragon Claw/Earthquake for a OHKO and continue sweeping. It's amazing how well it works.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Desperate Character posted:

I have Lax, max investment in HP and Defense, holding a Rocky Helmet, with Avalanche, Recover, Mirror Coat (egg move), and one filler move (Earthquake in my case). It wants to be on a team with a Magic Bounce user, either Espeon or Xatu.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

fade5 posted:

Hmm, alright I think I'll go with:
Dragonite @ Lum Berry
252 Atk, 4 Def, 252 Speed
Adamant, Multiscale
-Dragon Dance
-Dragon Claw
-Extreme Speed
-Fire Punch

I've got Garchomp for Dragon Claw/Earthquake, and I really want some priority. I've been having fun with DD-Megatar as a sweeper, but a non-sandstorm on would probably work better with Dragonite. I'll also want to get rid of Stealth Rock, so I'll bite the Bullet:v: and try Defog Mega-Scizor.

I know I've got two X4 Ice weaknesses now, but I run a slightly non-typical Garchomp that is pretty good at negating that:
Garchomp@ Focus Sash
4 HP, 252 Atk, 252 Speed
Jolly
-Swords Dance
-Dragon Claw
-Rock Slide
-Earthquake
Come in, Swords Dance up, eat the expected Ice or Dragon attack, respond with Dragon Claw/Earthquake for a OHKO and continue sweeping. It's amazing how well it works.

Oh, yeah, if you can get ExtremeSpeed, go ExtremeSpeed. Thought that was G4 only, though? :confused:

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

And pokemon bred from G4 pokemon. I got an extremespeed dratini on wonder trade.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Speaking of Ice, it's not absolutely terrible in the case of Thick Fat Mamoswine (Ice/Ground): weak to Grass, Steel, Water, and Fighting. The first two aren't too too common. It resists Ice and Poison and isn't affected by Electric.

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

The ghost of a god is no man.

Leveling posted:

Trick Room has a priority of -7, so Espeon will go last regardless of the opponent's speed.
Also, it only last 5turns, including the launching turn, so I don't think you would have the time to setup Trick Rooms and walls effectively.
Is it really useful to use TR in the first turns? You could always send off a better setter later in the game when your opponent couldn't stop you to use TR, if Taunters / Sporers were your problem.

:doh: I knew there was something wrong with this plan. I've been thinking about it for so long that I forgot basic logic. I was building this for wifi 3v3, so ideally, I would want to set it up at the beginning of the battle and finish sweeping before it ends, even though it never seems to work out that way.

Screw it, I'm going back to doubles. Trying to plan for singles fries my brain.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
Sent off a 5IV mudkip, got a Scizor with leftovers. Holy crap that was a great gift! Anyone else have any awesome Internet trades to share?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

The Leper Colon V posted:

Oh, yeah, if you can get ExtremeSpeed, go ExtremeSpeed. Thought that was G4 only, though? :confused:

Ignite Memories posted:

And pokemon bred from G4 pokemon. I got an extremespeed dratini on wonder trade.
Yeah, it's a catch-22. Dratini has Extreme Speed as an egg move in gens 4,5, and 6, but the only possible father is Dratini. So to get Extremespeed, you need to have a Dratini bred from the special HG/SS one, or the HG/SS one itself.

There's a similar situation with Slugma/Magcargo and Litwick. Slugma has been able to have Heat Wave as an egg move since Gen 3, but the only way to breed Heat Wave onto it in Gen 3 is from the snagged Gale for Darkness Magcargo that has Heat Wave, and only you snagged a male. In gens 4,5, and 6, Slugma/Litwick need to have Heat Wave tutored, and then be bred from that; you can also use the Gale of Darkness Magcargo, of course. Luckily, both are in the same egg group, so you only need one to get the chain started.

fade5 fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Mar 3, 2014

• Locked thread