Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Choco1980 posted:

I was just about to ask if Underbelly was any good. It seems kind of like a missed point that the end result of the grassroots campaign to get a sequel out of a film that was adapted from a comic resulted in another comic to me, but what do I know?

Underbelly isn't the end result of the campaign, it's part of the campaign. Also that's not the point to which I was referring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Choco1980 posted:

I was just about to ask if Underbelly was any good. It seems kind of like a missed point that the end result of the grassroots campaign to get a sequel out of a film that was adapted from a comic resulted in another comic to me, but what do I know?

Could the point be, the more copies sold then more chance of a sequel? I don't know but im getting mine!!

infact downloading now.

Myrddin_Emrys fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jan 31, 2014

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I wanted to see if anyone had any opinions on Judge Dredd: Mega-City Two, the new series IDW is publishing. And while were at it, is any of the IDW Judge Dredd worth reading?

The main IDW series is dogshit but Year One was great. The Judge Dredd Classics Apocalypse War reprint that IDW are doing is obviously good (and imo the colouring is really great), but the page sizes are all hosed up due to the British format being different.

Leyburn fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Feb 10, 2014

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

IDW is doing some kind of thing with a dozen Dark Judges and it's like, ugh just own ideas already. It has a very American comics vibe, where the're remixing stuff (Like Judge Cal showing up as an SJS judge - wtf why?) and it largely falls just as flat as DC's earlier efforts to localize Dredd. But at the same time their MC2 works perfectly since it's largely unexplored territory and the cartoony art style gives it a unique voice.

But hey, happy Valentine's Day! Buy the digital trade of America for £1.99!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

moths posted:

IDW is doing some kind of thing with a dozen Dark Judges and it's like, ugh just own ideas already. It has a very American comics vibe, where the're remixing stuff (Like Judge Cal showing up as an SJS judge - wtf why?)

Because he was an SJS Judge. Cal was on the Council of Five as head of the SJS.

I agree with the endless remixing, though. It's a shame - they were doing well at first.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

:doh: Of course, you're right.

I was actually looking forward to IDW's take on Sinister Dexter. You can tell any number of interesting stories with those two, and characterization is typically one of IDW's strengths. (Most of their licensed characters "feel" right, like the characters in the source material.) Unfortunately it looks like it's just reprints.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Took the offer mentioned earlier and nabbed a copy of 'America'. Jinkies, that certainly didn't turn out like I expected but I really enjoyed it. Gutted about Robert the robobutler at the end, he was wonderful.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
I just got Case Files 5-12(?) and 5 is already kicking my rear end. I never really read comic books as a kid but Dredd is such a fun character to read. Where do I go once I run out of case files? America?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Related question: how are the kindle versions of the Judge Dredd Case Files?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

There's Restricted Case Files that covers all the specials and one-shots, and then Anderson has a similar compilation collection. It'll be a while until you run out!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

areyoucontagious posted:

I just got Case Files 5-12(?) and 5 is already kicking my rear end. I never really read comic books as a kid but Dredd is such a fun character to read. Where do I go once I run out of case files? America?

If you get through all 21 Case Files, all four volumes of the Restricted Files, all three volumes of Anderson: Psi Divison, America and The Dead Man and you still want more, there are a further 20 years worth of stories to read and many of these have been collected in single-story volumes. Although it's brilliant I wouldn't get The Pit as it's going to be in Case Files 24 later this year, but other major stories that won't be reprinted in a Case File this decade are Origins, Tour of Duty (two volumes) and Day of Chaos.

E: Boogeyman, the Kindle scans are decent enough quality but the viewing by panel isn't very good - it skips a few. And of course, they look better on a 10" tablet than on a Kindle screen.

Jedit fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Feb 27, 2014

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Jedit posted:

E: Boogeyman, the Kindle scans are decent enough quality but the viewing by panel isn't very good - it skips a few. And of course, they look better on a 10" tablet than on a Kindle screen.

That ain't no thing, I got a 10" tablet with the Kindle app so that's how I'd be reading 'em anyway. And I don't really use panel view anyway. Thanks for the info!

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
I feel like a little kid. Look at this awesome poo poo :black101:

Edit: Holy poo poo this storyline :stare:

sephiRoth IRA fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Feb 28, 2014

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

areyoucontagious posted:

Imagine reading it aged seven in 1981, waiting a week between instalments. Because that's how I got to read it.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

areyoucontagious posted:

I feel like a little kid. Look at this awesome poo poo :black101:

Jesus I remember that at 9 years old. I was an avid reader of Eagle (DoomLord; who remembers his poo poo?) and I was an big reader of anything 2000 a.d related but that story line was the loving best. Childrens comics just don't have that gravitas anymore.

And yes, these were marketed for children, the 80's were the loving best.

*EDIT* and if I am not mistaken, that is Brian Bollands artwork. Absolute genius.

Myrddin_Emrys fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Feb 28, 2014

moths
Aug 25, 2004

The Eagle Judge Dredd reprints were the first comic I fell in love with as a pre-teen, but I never got them in any kind of order. So nothing made much sense but it was amazing.

I'm loving the complete case files, since it all feels so familiar but now it's better. I've just gotten to the mid nineties, when I'd was reading 2000ad and Inferno magazines on the bus back to my apartment in college. It's held up really well, and I'm surprised 2000ad isn't more popular here in the states.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

That ain't no thing, I got a 10" tablet with the Kindle app so that's how I'd be reading 'em anyway. And I don't really use panel view anyway. Thanks for the info!

Then forget buying them on the kindle store. Buy the first 5-6 right from 2000AD's digital store and get high quality DRM free versions that you can view with any comic reader program.

edit: They actually just added a whole bunch to the digital store.
edit 2: A whole bunch is all of them.

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Mar 1, 2014

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
Are the complete case files out of order sometimes? As in not chronological? I bought the pdf from a skeezy online site and the scans seem kinda crappy, so I'm worried I paid for a bootleg :( For example, there's a whole story about a character coming back to life, but I never saw them die in the first place.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

areyoucontagious posted:

Are the complete case files out of order sometimes? As in not chronological? I bought the pdf from a skeezy online site and the scans seem kinda crappy, so I'm worried I paid for a bootleg :( For example, there's a whole story about a character coming back to life, but I never saw them die in the first place.

The Case Files are strictly in order apart from Megazine stories which don't cross over with 2000AD. Which character is it? I may be able to help.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
It was the issue with Fink and Mean Machine working for the Judge Child. Mean machine got resurrected on Xanadu, but I never saw him die. I did see him alive earlier in #5, though. Additionally, it goes from color to black and white sometimes. I know I missed some plotlines because I started with case files 5, but it feels like I missed some big stuff.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

areyoucontagious posted:

It was the issue with Fink and Mean Machine working for the Judge Child. Mean machine got resurrected on Xanadu, but I never saw him die. I did see him alive earlier in #5, though.

Mean Machine dies headbutting gas pumps in Judge Child Quest, right after he goes to 4 and a half and kills his own brother. Writers didn't know that Mean Machine would become a recurring character at that point, so it's not underlined in any particular way. It just sort of happens.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

Hob_Gadling posted:

Mean Machine dies headbutting gas pumps in Judge Child Quest, right after he goes to 4 and a half and kills his own brother. Writers didn't know that Mean Machine would become a recurring character at that point, so it's not underlined in any particular way. It just sort of happens.

Okay, so when he comes back in #5 it's just ignoring when he died?

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
Judge Child Quest is progs 156-181 and should be in Case Files #04. Destiny's Angels is progs 281-288 so they should be in Case Files #06. Megazine started a lot later than this, so there shouldn't be any stories beyond what were published in 2000AD.

Cover should mention the progs in the Case File. #05 is progs 208-270, first story being The Problem with Sonny Bono and last being The Apocalypse War. If not, it's either a different collection altogether (which might exist although I've never heard of them) or a bootleg.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!
He did return in a couple of annual stories set before his death but annuals and holiday specials are for the Restricted Files from what I understand. If those stories involve a wedding or him going to town then you've got something which includes the annuals. Any chance of a brief synopsis of what happened when he was alive to try and place them?

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

Vengeance of Pandas posted:

He did return in a couple of annual stories set before his death but annuals and holiday specials are for the Restricted Files from what I understand. If those stories involve a wedding or him going to town then you've got something which includes the annuals. Any chance of a brief synopsis of what happened when he was alive to try and place them?

Are the annuals included in the case files at all? Because the two stories you describe (going to town for his birthday, getting hitched) were in #5 and 6. I think I have singe weird amalgam of these stories. Eventually I wanted to buy the actual physical copies but at $20 a pop I'm looking at a significant investment.

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

Jesus I remember that at 9 years old. I was an avid reader of Eagle (DoomLord; who remembers his poo poo?) and I was an big reader of anything 2000 a.d related but that story line was the loving best. Childrens comics just don't have that gravitas anymore.

And yes, these were marketed for children, the 80's were the loving best.

*EDIT* and if I am not mistaken, that is Brian Bollands artwork. Absolute genius.

As a child I found the Doomlord photostrips so terrifying I didn't even want to have the comics in the same room as me. It's not quite the same seen through adult eyes, when you know it's just some unlucky sod from the Eagle staff in a cheap halloween mask and dressing gown.

Still, at least whoever it was didn't end up looking as ridiculous as poor Dave Gibbons, seen here as "The Big E", masthead character of the short-lived Tornado comic.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

areyoucontagious posted:

Are the annuals included in the case files at all? Because the two stories you describe (going to town for his birthday, getting hitched) were in #5 and 6. I think I have singe weird amalgam of these stories. Eventually I wanted to buy the actual physical copies but at $20 a pop I'm looking at a significant investment.

The annuals are what's in the Restricted Files.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
So if mine has annuals, does that mean I have restricted case files? Is there a difference between restricted and complete? Sorry for the confusion!

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

areyoucontagious posted:

So if mine has annuals, does that mean I have restricted case files? Is there a difference between restricted and complete? Sorry for the confusion!

Honestly not sure since I don't have the books myself to compare. However the complete case files feature all the stories from the weekly progs especially the big serial story arcs such as the Apocalypse War, the Judge Child etc. The restricted case files on the other hand are only made up of the stories featured in the annuals and specials. I think the Case Files would only include a story from the annual if it led directly into a serial story or served as an epilogue. There were other attempts to collect Judge Dredd before Rebellion released the case files so it's possible you picked up one of those collections which might have mixed annual and prog stories, hard for me to say for certain.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Doomlord was the loving tits, especially when the original, murderous one regenerated from a morgue attendant and faced off against his friendly, Corrie-watching replacement who was all "gently caress it, these Earth dudes are cool, I'm not killing poo poo"

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Vengeance of Pandas posted:

Honestly not sure since I don't have the books myself to compare. However the complete case files feature all the stories from the weekly progs especially the big serial story arcs such as the Apocalypse War, the Judge Child etc. The restricted case files on the other hand are only made up of the stories featured in the annuals and specials. I think the Case Files would only include a story from the annual if it led directly into a serial story or served as an epilogue. There were other attempts to collect Judge Dredd before Rebellion released the case files so it's possible you picked up one of those collections which might have mixed annual and prog stories, hard for me to say for certain.

I don't know of any attempt to exhaustively collect Dredd before the Case Files, and the CFs don't include anything from Sci-Fi Specials or Annuals. The first Dredd story to step outside the main comic was Judgement Day, and that only crossed over with the Megazine. It proved so awkward and unpopular that they never tried that again. Future stories with elements in both publications ran separate complete threads (e.g. Doomsday followed Dredd in 2000AD and Galen de Marco in the Megazine).

So, I'm guessing AYC may have found a bootleg.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

Yeah it wasn't exhaustive but I remember buying a Judge Dredd collection years ago with some random stories ranging from Judge Death to his time as Marshall on Luna 1 to The Cursed Earth. I was thinking it might have been something similar.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

Jedit posted:

So, I'm guessing AYC may have found a bootleg.

I agree, based on what's in these. It's not a huge deal for me, I was just curious. Still plenty of Dredd to read through!

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Sentinel Red posted:

Doomlord was the loving tits, especially when the original, murderous one regenerated from a morgue attendant and faced off against his friendly, Corrie-watching replacement who was all "gently caress it, these Earth dudes are cool, I'm not killing poo poo"

OMG yes he loved corrie didn't he? I seem to recall he had a son too at some point, didn't he turn evil?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Has anyone else had problems getting the 2000ad digital shop to work in the US? I'd like to get some of them DRM free case files, but it won't let me complete checkout.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I just used it last month to buy Underbelly and it worked fine. Are you paying with Paypal? That worked for me.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

moths posted:

I just used it last month to buy Underbelly and it worked fine. Are you paying with Paypal? That worked for me.

It doesn't even give me paypal as an option, just something called "sagepay."

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Weird, I'll take a look at it when I get back to my apartment.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I didn't realize that 2000AD was still around. And digital. UK gonna get yet more of my funbux.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

Yeah, 2000AD's been putting out some great stuff in recent years, my avatar came from a Dirty Frank story.

Edit: with no context.

Vengeance of Pandas fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Mar 4, 2014

• Locked thread