Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yalborap
Oct 13, 2012

Hyperactive posted:

Air Raider is definitely a slow burn. The lack of a dependable/sustainable DPS seems like a problem throughout its lifetime though.

Also not sure how they cope with spider swarms on Hard+! They just destroy my vehicles and then me two seconds later.

I haven't gotten to hard yet, but on Normal I give them a taste of their own medicine with glorious, glorious webguns. The things like to mob up on you, so you can just shoot them in an arc and let your webs drape over the whole crowd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol

GOT A EXTRA TITTY posted:

I feel like the air raider is a little weaker than the other three classes - at least before weapon level 35+ or so.

It would have been really nice if they had a third weapon slot. Even if it was restricted to Support Kegs (which in single player are not worth giving up your airstrike or gun), the class would rock really hard. Not that there's anything wrong with a challenge class; air raider is my second most played class.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
So, final mission - any tips? I've tried taking it slow and steady and eliminating cannons, but there are too many. I got to the phase with the bright purple earth eaters and died all due to my own fault but is it easier to just make tracks and just keep shelling the Brain?

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
So how the hell do you fly helicopters? Was this game supposed to come with an instruction manual? I can't seem to figure out how to properly control altitude, I can only go up.

Ah Pook
Aug 23, 2003

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

So how the hell do you fly helicopters? Was this game supposed to come with an instruction manual? I can't seem to figure out how to properly control altitude, I can only go up.

As far as I can tell, that's all you get. The vehicle controls are pretty atrocious.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Ah Pook posted:

As far as I can tell, that's all you get. The vehicle controls are pretty atrocious.

Ground vehicles actually control pretty well provided you're in one of the zippier ones like the railgun tank. The problem with most vehicles isn't that the controls are bad so much as most of them are tuned to handle like beached whales so it feels awful. Holding down R1 for like 20 seconds before a helicopter starts ascending due to its terrible rate of climb is pretty what the gently caress.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
My problem with the helicopters isn't the sluggish controls, its the awful camera.

What's the point of an autotargeting machine gun and direct fire rockets if the camera is pointing down where the machine gun shoots instead straight for the rockets?

VVV: the web guns are good for that

tap my mountain fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Mar 1, 2014

Rabidredneck
Oct 30, 2010

Not pleasant when angered.
The biggest problem I have with the Air Raider is they have no good means to escape from an ant grab. Other classes can just shoot them, but the limpit guns are explosive and the higher level ones will kill you just as dead as the ants will. The only safe way is if you happen to have turret guns nearby that can kill the ant for you, but that can be a big if. Unless your in multiplayer, if an ant grabs you your screwed.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Rabidredneck posted:

The biggest problem I have with the Air Raider is they have no good means to escape from an ant grab. Other classes can just shoot them, but the limpit guns are explosive and the higher level ones will kill you just as dead as the ants will. The only safe way is if you happen to have turret guns nearby that can kill the ant for you, but that can be a big if. Unless your in multiplayer, if an ant grabs you your screwed.

Flechette limpets will more often than not miss you and are generally good for taking out bugs anyway, they're generally what I bring to bug heavy maps where I might be grabbed.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I am enjoying the DLC missions. The last mission of the first pack is everything you expect from a late city mission (high level fliers, battleships, transports, etc) but in the middle of an open field. It's a goddamned free-for-all and it's glorious. I think the difficulty slider for the DLC is a little overtuned though. Normal is a cakewalk but the jump to hard is a big pill to swallow, moreso than maps from the middle of the game in my opinion.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Broseph Brostar posted:

My problem with the helicopters isn't the sluggish controls, its the awful camera.

What's the point of an autotargeting machine gun and direct fire rockets if the camera is pointing down where the machine gun shoots instead straight for the rockets?

VVV: the web guns are good for that

Most of the vehicles have misaligned weapons and hosed up camera problems like this. The Vegalta mechs are misaligned so that even though the machine gun is on one arm and the rocket launcher is on the other, if your machine gun is on target the rocket launcher will miss and vice versa despite them being visually parallel. Even the one-gun tanks have problems because it's almost impossible to determine where you're actually aiming due to no crosshairs.

Why can't all of them have a laser sight like the railgun tank? :smith:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Levantine posted:

So, final mission - any tips? I've tried taking it slow and steady and eliminating cannons, but there are too many. I got to the phase with the bright purple earth eaters and died all due to my own fault but is it easier to just make tracks and just keep shelling the Brain?

Yep, do the latter. When you beat one segment of the brain the Earth Eater vanishes so all that work is for nothing. Only clear out sections that block your view. I usually hit two exposed red glowing areas and a hanger and then hit the brain.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Retreat? Come on guys, I totally coulda taken that Hornet Nest I had just healed back to full health when you told me to run. Fine, what do you want me to do next.

...Oh, that fucker Quadraped is back... And I just got a burst fire tight grouping shotgun... SHOTGUN :black101:

SHOTGUN STOP RUNNING AWAY FROM ME :black101:

SHOTGUN YOU CAN NOT ESCAPE SHOTGUN :black101:

"Attack when the hatch opens"

HE IS ALREADY DEAD. BECAUSE SHOTGUN :black101: :supaburn: :unsmigghh:

More satisfying that bringing down the Mothership earlier. Cleanup against the fancy Hectors took two trigger pulls of SHOTGUN.

TLDR; SHOTGUN EDF SHOTGUN EDF SHOTGUN EDF SHOTGUN EDF SHOTGUN EDF SHOTGUN EDF!

Section Z fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Mar 2, 2014

A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

...It's the thought that counts, right?

Section Z posted:

SHOTGUN YOU CAN NOT ESCAPE SHOTGUN :black101:
:hfive:
Shotfuns

Not much choice but to play with pubbies sometimes, but for the most part they're alright. Some simply aren't very good, but others are flat out stupid. I had my first experience with either the latter or a teamkiller last night on PSN.
Two guys, a fencer and a ranger were trying and failing miserably on the first few missions on Inferno when I joined up and equipped my best gear. I started annihilating bugs and covering them since their armor was so low one or two acid sprays would've killed them when I got tagged by the Fencer's mortars.
Using quick-chat I said, "I got caught in a blast!" while thinking to myself, "Ok, that only took about a 1/3rd of my health, I'll let it go, it was probably an accident and there were some ants sorta close to me."

Next wave approached, they started shooting their guns at the bugs, I started instagibbing ants with a ridiculously powerful plasma launcher while being very careful not to hit either of the other players. They both died to acid, so I grabbed some health and revived both of them, putting me down to about half health and them to full. I go pick up some loot, and the Fencer blasts me with a mortar again. Nothing was even remotely nearby, or even in my general direction from his position, except me and some armor/weapon pickups. I let that one go too, but now there's no more health pickups. Aside from my own line from earlier, no communication from either of the two other players. I again use quick-chat to say "Be careful of the bomb blasts."

Last wave approaches, and as per usual I started murdering the ants when I get tagged again by the Fencer and, barely alive when I stood up, I got caught in a rocket blast from the Ranger and I'm put down, since I was already low from reviving both of them. I hadn't been hit at all from the insects, and I'd had quite enough of friendly fire at this point, and his mortar is completely ineffective at actually killing the bugs, but its great at making them more dangerous by spreading them everywhere and killing me. I get revived by his buddy, and, having had quite enough of that, I fly behind the Fencer and one-shot him from full health with my 4-Way Lance. I fly over and one-shot his buddy too, then allow myself to die to a swarm of ants, and left the room immediately.

I don't mind helping people out, but if they're going to do stuff like this, I have no qualms about making them fail. Especially if they won't even communicate, mic or otherwise.

quote:

So, final mission - any tips?
There's two ways I've seen that work -- a fast and dangerous way and a slow, steady, and safe way.

THE FAST:
Air Raider's Satellite Blasters, the strongest you have, centered under the primary target. It comes from above, so you'll hit the target with the full brunt of the blast, and this should immediately bring you forward a phase if it's strong enough. Survive while bringing down the fodder enemies and maybe some of the weaker cannons until you can call the blaster again. Repeat until it dies.

THE SLOW: (also a farming method)
Any class with a good weapon with at least 600m range. Using the buildings as cover, take down any of the large pink cannons near your position. Those ones destroy buildings, so once they're gone you have cover to use as long as you need it. The fodder enemies should be killed as they get into range of your weapons. If you want to be ultra-safe, or if you're farming, you can destroy all the cannons near your position as you move, but this is even more tedious and time-consuming. You can completely stop the flow of fodder enemies by bringing down the several hatches they drop from, and I recommend this (unless you're farming) as they'll drop nastier machines (from flying vehicles up to large deroys) as you do more damage to the target. When you've secured the area around one of the "bullseye at the bottom of an upside-down cup" that bring down entire sections, take it out and begin to shell the primary target from there.

When you enter the next phase, things get a little trickier, but some backup will show up to help you. Get the troops, and prepare to shell the sky. You might notice around now that the sky is revolving around the center, and all cannons are replenished with some new types thrown in to boot. Regardless, handle this much the same way, except you'll want to stay in one location as the sky revolves above you. Again, prioritize the pink cannons to prevent your cover from being destroyed. Take out the new ones only if they're going to pass above you (they use a focused beam to deal damage). There are fewer hatches in this phase, and you'll want to take them down too before opening up the sky. When the hatches are gone, open the sky and do damage.

The next one is pure chaos, which is fitting because it's the final phase. Any battle machines dropped in the previous phases stay alive so kill anything left extremely quickly. You'll receive some more backup, and I recommend grabbing the teams very quickly. They are both equipped with extremely powerful weapons and they're very durable. Unlike the previous phases, you'll want to focus your attention on the primary target. Only destroy the parts if they're in your way, especially if they're parts that are releasing things that legendary swords are useless against, or if they're parts that charge up spirit bombs. There should be plenty of health on the ground from the previous phases, so it should only be a matter of time. Never stop moving. I have no other real advice to offer, because nothing can get you through the rest except for skill and the amount of health pickups on the ground.
Remember who you are! Have pride in the EDF! This is your victory!

A note if anyone decides to farm this mission: Literally every single thing you can destroy aside from buildings has a chance of dropping loot. This can make the mission extremely easy since there will inevitably be tons of health pickups.

quote:

Most of the vehicles have misaligned weapons and hosed up camera problems like this. The Vegalta mechs are misaligned so that even though the machine gun is on one arm and the rocket launcher is on the other, if your machine gun is on target the rocket launcher will miss and vice versa despite them being visually parallel. Even the one-gun tanks have problems because it's almost impossible to determine where you're actually aiming due to no crosshairs.
They were like this in 2017 too, but each vehicle aside from the jetbike were utter wrecking balls, you just had to cope with the sluggish controls and lack of a proper sight. These are things you have to get used to if you want vehicles to be effective, so practice!

A Pleasant Hug fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Mar 2, 2014

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Oh god gently caress mission 79 forever.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
I finally finished my first playthrough. It took me awhile because I kept going back and playing as the different classes. I spent the most time as a Fencer and the Air Raider, but all of them are a joy to play in their own way. I love how the game has a completely different feel depending on what class you play. It's just refreshing when a lot of game's classes consist of a few variations of the same basic soldier archetype with maybe a unique item or damage resistance or something. Trying to play the same way as different classes in this game is just a good way to end up dead, or at least horribly squander your real potential.

The final level was intense. Actually the entire last leg of the game gets pretty intense. It loves making you think you've one, then going "nah we're just getting started."

The very best thing about the game though is the absolutely everything! I could write pages on everything I love about it. It's the most fun I've had with a video game in awhile.

Favorite trooper dialogue I heard:
Everything any of them had to say about the dragons. "We don't need any enchanted sword!" "Yeah! Guns are the best!"

Most depressing trooper dialogue I heard:
"My family was my life, and you stole that from me!:(

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005
Is taking an air raider's vehicle before they can jump in considered trolling? I did it to this one random guy online and he just quit out of the game immediately. I sent him a big apology note after but he never replid back :(

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
Why don't you get married?

For my wife! :byodood:

I'm getting used to the chopper since I really like being able to fly with it compared to getting swarmed and blown up in seconds on hardest and inferno with the ground vehicles. I just wish the game actually gave me an upgraded Bazelart instead of these lovely low level weapons.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
I just started this up and it's amazing. I think I'll end up swapping between Air Raider and Wing Diver because it's really fun to zip around and dive bomb stuff with the Wing Diver's close range weapons and the Air Raider starts with the ability to level entire city blocks.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Marogareh posted:

I'm getting used to the chopper since I really like being able to fly with it compared to getting swarmed and blown up in seconds on hardest and inferno with the ground vehicles. I just wish the game actually gave me an upgraded Bazelart instead of these lovely low level weapons.

Put turrets on the helicopter! I don't have that .gif handy but the result is pretty hilarious.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Put turrets on the helicopter! I don't have that .gif handy but the result is pretty hilarious.
Depending on where the enemies are it can be pretty hilarious for your teammates, too.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Casnorf posted:

Depending on where the enemies are it can be pretty hilarious for your teammates, too.

Now I want to see how 4 Air Raiders with Turrets on Helicopters would look like against the various swarms.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Marogareh posted:

My favorite so far was:

"Why did you get married?"

"NO REASON!!!" :byodood:

Well we beat the game on Normal by Brain focusing and that did the trick. It was still dicey because for some reason, not a single cannon drops health no matter how many times we do the stage. They don't drop anything for us for that matter. But we did it! EDF! EDF! EDF!

The DLC missions have been fun and pretty challenging to we are focusing on those. We did some Inferno grinding on Chapter 11 for some boosts and we're tackling the higher difficulties now. That's where the fun starts!

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012
Do the air raider's turret guns always start emptying their clip as soon as they activate or do they stop shooting when there's no enemy in range? I'm just starting out with air raider and farming the first mission on hard for some decent baseline gear before I jump in to the more challenging missions and the only turrets I have at the moment are sniper turrets. They tend to spray all of their ammo at the nearest wall because there's an enemy far behind it when I try to mount them on the head of my giant mech as extra guns. I am wondering if the more close range turrets would be better for ground vehicle point defense when they start turning up?

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Okasvi posted:

Do the air raider's turret guns always start emptying their clip as soon as they activate or do they stop shooting when there's no enemy in range?

They'll keep firing at the last enemy that was in range until they detect something new. As soon as they're activated, they keep going until emptied.

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

They'll keep firing at the last enemy that was in range until they detect something new. As soon as they're activated, they keep going until emptied.

Activated as in "press the activate button" or as in "an enemy enters inside the turret's range"? I don't know if there's a difference there since my only turrets are sniper versions so their range is huge. I basically want to know if I should be using non sniper turrets if I wan't to stick them on the side of a ground vehicle, so they don't start shooting until I'm actually fighting enemies. Or whether even non-sniper turrets start spraying at the nearest blip on the map as soon as the deploy button is pressed after laying them down, even if it's half a map away.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Okasvi posted:

Activated as in "press the activate button" or as in "an enemy enters inside the turret's range"? I don't know if there's a difference there since my only turrets are sniper versions so their range is huge. I basically want to know if I should be using non sniper turrets if I wan't to stick them on the side of a ground vehicle, so they don't start shooting until I'm actually fighting enemies. Or whether even non-sniper turrets start spraying at the nearest blip on the map as soon as the deploy button is pressed after laying them down, even if it's half a map away.

Once the turret spring out of the box, it shoots until empty. As for which turrets to bring, if there's a bunch of flying enemies, use the ZER, if not, non-R versions do a little more damage.

Diesel Fucker
Aug 14, 2003

I spent my rent money on tentacle porn.
I cannot, for the life of me, beat any higher level missions on HARD+ with my Wing Diver. I'd farm mission 11 but that only drops weapons up to level 50, right? Been doing mission 16(?) in the 2nd DLC but up to now no drops that even the playing field against those silver spiders.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I'm playing Starship as a Wing Diver and I'm curious Can I kill the Mothership in one cycle? I fly up to the the Genocide Gun and can kill that standing on it, then back to the closest UFO. I can fly back to the Mothership's weakpoint, but I can only stay in the air long enough to get the half damaged line. If I try harder can I kill the thing, or is the damage it takes in a cycle capped?

Dantes
Sep 3, 2003
It can never be too cold.

Lasher posted:

I cannot, for the life of me, beat any higher level missions on HARD+ with my Wing Diver. I'd farm mission 11 but that only drops weapons up to level 50, right? Been doing mission 16(?) in the 2nd DLC but up to now no drops that even the playing field against those silver spiders.
For the non DLC missions at hard+ give this a shot.

Pick your best shotgun, a thunderbow, eclat or iliun?, ixun? I forget the third type....
Pick a sniper laser that require you to maintain your aim on the target.

With those weapons equipped, choose any underground level. You want to drag the bugs away from the rooms and into the tunnels. Your bow should be able to saturate the whole tunnel diameter. Use the sniper when you encounter queens or kings. Adjust the weapon mix as you unlock new ones.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Am I missing something with Wing Diver thrown weapons? It seems like no matter how long I hold down the button, they all gently coast a few feet then go off. It's very disorienting after playing Air Raider for so long.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp

Bussamove posted:

Am I missing something with Wing Diver thrown weapons? It seems like no matter how long I hold down the button, they all gently coast a few feet then go off. It's very disorienting after playing Air Raider for so long.

Wing Divers get thrown weapons :wtc:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

rawdog pozfail posted:

Wing Divers get thrown weapons :wtc:

2 kinds. A series of plasma grenades that are basically their plasma cannons with stupid long reloads, slow shots and no power drain and the far left list of "support" weapons that throw a slow moving ball of light that hovers and sprays lasers/bullets/lightning in some direction listed in the description. They're kind of a proto-turret you can use to pin down an area of enemies or pile some extra damage on something big. If the ball itself hits anything it disappears without shooting.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Bussamove posted:

You're meant to fly over a group and drop it from above.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp

dis astranagant posted:

2 kinds. A series of plasma grenades that are basically their plasma cannons with stupid long reloads, slow shots and no power drain and the far left list of "support" weapons that throw a slow moving ball of light that hovers and sprays lasers/bullets/lightning in some direction listed in the description. They're kind of a proto-turret you can use to pin down an area of enemies or pile some extra damage on something big. If the ball itself hits anything it disappears without shooting.

Ohhh yeah, those. I was imagining a boomerang sort of thing. Yeah, I had the same experience- you hold down the trigger and the line extends further and further out, yet it always just stops a few meters away from you.

They seem pretty drat bad 95% of the time either way. Even if you're able to maneuver so all the enemies stay in one place under it, why not just do the same thing with a laser chainsaw?

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

EDF is pretty much these scenes in a nutshell when it comes to turrets. Complete with the OHSHI- moment when they run out. :unsmigghh:

rawdog pozfail posted:

They seem pretty drat bad 95% of the time either way. Even if you're able to maneuver so all the enemies stay in one place under it, why not just do the same thing with a laser chainsaw?

I imagine in theory they were also supposed to be good for tunnel missions too? But between friendly fire and how long they take to wind down or reload, it is easier just to use something else. :shrug:

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Anyone know a good level to grind to score some nice 30mm heavy gallick cannons for the Fencer? I'm still using the level 10 one since I like it so much but it's not cutting the mustard on the last level. Playing on normal mostly.

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol

Bussamove posted:

The hand grenades are designed to use your momentum, so you're supposed to fly fast at the enemy, drop it, and then thrust off, like a dive bomber.

The special weapons (Pandora, etc) are situational but really awesome. There's one that shoots lightning all over the place for 40 seconds or so that just cleans up in tunnels.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
:stare: I just got a Busterlord Vegalta, it fires the Howitzer shells that the Air Raider calls in with smoke flares.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

rawdog pozfail posted:

Ohhh yeah, those. I was imagining a boomerang sort of thing. Yeah, I had the same experience- you hold down the trigger and the line extends further and further out, yet it always just stops a few meters away from you.

I don't mind using them for the underground tunnel exists, you can plop one down on an exit and then zoom off to do something else. Otherwise yea they're tough to use effectively.