Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Finding out the author of a webcomic you like "might be a gross rear end in a top hat" is the opposite of important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
When I say 'gross rear end in a top hat' I meant 'possibly transphobic' and to the many trans people I know and am friends with, yeah that's kind of significantly important! I mean you wouldn't give poo poo to anyone upset that celebrities they liked and enjoyed (such as Simon Pegg) came out and defended noted pedophile Woody Allen, would you?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I was referring to the "AAAAAA TUMBLR" stuff

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
For a while I thought someone might have hacked Tom's twitter and was screwing around, the whole thing seemed kind of out of character for him.

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.
...how the gently caress can this be taken as transphobia. The line he's referring to in that tweet is something alone the lines of "If we're done measuring dicks around here". I... seriously, what? :psyduck:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Oh thank goodness I thought it was just me. I looked at some of the replies and I really just don't get how they actually apply to the tweet.

e: I assumed it was something to do with the film since I haven't seen it yet.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Jetamo posted:

...how the gently caress can this be taken as transphobia. The line he's referring to in that tweet is something alone the lines of "If we're done measuring dicks around here". I... seriously, what? :psyduck:

Oh thank god you showed up! I'm over here reading it and thinking it looks like it was typed by someone who's English isn't too good. It being one of those 'Dick measuring' things puts it all into perspective.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

flatluigi posted:

Tom should probably say something on not-Twitter about this where it's easier to say your entire thoughts on the situation

Yeah I'd rather never hear anything about this "situation" ever again.

Here's some fan art instead! :3:

EDIT: And here's the source. See, tumblr can do good!

Combed Thunderclap fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Mar 3, 2014

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

flatluigi posted:

Finding out someone you liked and thought was a cool dude might be a gross rear end in a top hat is important to people, shockingly!

Tom should probably say something on not-Twitter about this where it's easier to say your entire thoughts on the situation, as I still think people are unsure what exactly to think about it. I had the benefit of sleeping through the entire thing up until his final tweet and it reads to me that he was quoting a joke he found lovely and being baffled by people thinking he was making the joke himself, but I can 100% see why people might have read it otherwise and I don't blame them in the slightest for being hurt by it.

And on top of that, it was really a weird reaction to a dumb joke in a movie in the first place.

It's like

Yeah Tom, all she's saying is "Are we done playing one upsmanship?" in an indelicate way to a military guy. There are so many things more worthy of examination in Man of Steel. Like, actual problems with that film.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Some guy makes fun of a dumb line from a movie and a bunch of losers with nothing better to do try to find some way to take offense to it. That's the internet like every day. Who cares.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
I didn't realize it was a dumb line from a movie, so here I thought it was Tom making fun of Hollywood's (and writers in general) tendency to write good strong female characters by excising all feminine traits of a character and making her act just like a dude. :eng99:

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

To be fair anyone in this situation who hadn't seen Man of Steel is coming out ahead.

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Friends depend on each other.
Can we all just agree that Man of Steel was a really boring film and nothing good can ever come from it?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I think we cannot all just agree to that thing you said.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
I'm still not getting it; was the problem that he said that if a non-dickhaving female character in a movie had had a dick, then the dick would be large? Dicks/balls being a common way to refer to someone's confidence level? And that this is offensive because some transgender women have dicks? And then he retweeted (and has since deleted) the angry responses he got, which just made them angrier?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ChairMaster posted:

Some guy makes fun of a dumb line from a movie and a bunch of losers with nothing better to do try to find some way to take offense to it. That's the internet like every day. Who cares.

Apparently a lot of people :shrug:

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Friends depend on each other.

Bongo Bill posted:

I think we cannot all just agree to that thing you said.

I really hated Man of Steel.

Zenzirouj posted:

I'm still not getting it; was the problem that he said that if a non-dickhaving female character in a movie had had a dick, then the dick would be large? Dicks/balls being a common way to refer to someone's confidence level? And that this is offensive because some transgender women have dicks? And then he retweeted (and has since deleted) the angry responses he got, which just made them angrier?

Yeah that's pretty much it. :shrug:

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

So he tweets this thing and people started asking him what he meant about it, and instead of replying I guess he just RT'ed them all ironically and went back to watching his movie. That looks really loving awful on Twitter. Like that's commonly just a way to make fun of people who have a problem with you.

So he just starts talking about other poo poo and people get even madder and it starts making him look even worse. Then he deletes the RTs so now it sort of cuts out the entire middle period where things escalated and it just looks like a bunch of people asked him questions and then got mad at him. So now it looks like he made a comment and then his twitter just got super loving mad at him immediately and then he apologized.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

Meowjesty posted:

Yeah that's pretty much it. :shrug:

How silly. It's too late at night to bother getting into how very silly that all is so maybe everybody should just get some sleep. Except now I've offended people in other timezones and people with alternate sleep schedules.

edit: ok, this makes much more sense in context
VVVVVVVV

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Zenzirouj posted:

Let me explain with some amount of editoralizing and guessing what Tom was thinking:

There's a scene in the movie where Lois Lane says "if we're done measuring dicks" to an army guy. Tom got to this line, tweeted it incredulously, then followed it up with a tweet essentially saying "yes, Hollywood Scriptwriter David S. Goyer, having a female character without a dick, such as Lois Lane, talk about dick measuring is certainly a good way to make her seem assertive, because only people with dicks can be assertive, what the gently caress is wrong with you, you idiot" only Twitter has a character limit and I guess he assumed people could remember things that happened five minutes before so his actual tweet is shorter than that.

A bunch of people who apparently couldn't be bothered to google his previous tweet to find out the context, or maybe even couldn't be bothered to go look at his twitter feed to find out the context in the first place, started saying poo poo to him, and he started retweeting it, presumably thinking "what is wrong with these bozos, look at how dumb they are". Eventually he stopped doing that, probably since he got to a point where people talking to him sounded genuinely hurt as opposed to sounding like idiots, deleted the retweets, and apologized because, shockingly, he doesn't like hurting people.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

idonotlikepeas posted:

Let me explain with some amount of editoralizing and guessing what Tom was thinking:

There's a scene in the movie where Lois Lane says "if we're done measuring dicks" to an army guy. Tom got to this line, tweeted it incredulously, then followed it up with a tweet essentially saying "yes, Hollywood Scriptwriter David S. Goyer, having a female character without a dick, such as Lois Lane, talk about dick measuring is certainly a good way to make her seem assertive, because only people with dicks can be assertive, what the gently caress is wrong with you, you idiot" only Twitter has a character limit and I guess he assumed people could remember things that happened five minutes before so his actual tweet is shorter than that.

A bunch of people who apparently couldn't be bothered to google his previous tweet to find out the context, or maybe even couldn't be bothered to go look at his twitter feed to find out the context in the first place, started saying poo poo to him, and he started retweeting it, presumably thinking "what is wrong with these bozos, look at how dumb they are". Eventually he stopped doing that, probably since he got to a point where people talking to him sounded genuinely hurt as opposed to sounding like idiots, deleted the retweets, and apologized because, shockingly, he doesn't like hurting people.

And the lesson we should all take away from this is a) Man of Steel is a bad movie and b) no one should give a poo poo about anything anyone says on twitter especially given that a lot of people are apparently incapable of determining context and jump straight to "I'm mad."

Rasselas
Oct 26, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT FUCKIN' TRANNIES HARASSING GLORIOUS UNIMPEACHABLE WEBCOMIC ARTIST TOM SIDDELL WITH THEIR FALSE CLAIMS TO VICTIMHOOD, THE CODDLED FUCKS! STIFF UPPER LIP! I'M A TREMENDOUS JACKASS WHO CAN'T FATHOM ANYTHING OUTSIDE MY BUBBLE! TUMBLRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

idonotlikepeas posted:

A bunch of people who apparently couldn't be bothered to google his previous tweet to find out the context, or maybe even couldn't be bothered to go look at his twitter feed to find out the context in the first place, started saying poo poo to him, and he started retweeting it, presumably thinking "what is wrong with these bozos, look at how dumb they are".

They couldn't be bothered to get past the opportunity to jump at someone's throat and claim victimhood.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
Is there some reason why ya'll are glossing over the fact that Siddell retweeted a group of polite, yet mildly upset people, many of whom identified as transwomen, for the sole purpose of mocking them in front of an audience of 13k people or like are you gonna keep prattling on about CRAZY these strawmen youve invented are.

e: also glad we're all still doing that thing where people genuinely believe people look for reasons to be offended to deflect criticism.

fun hater fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Mar 3, 2014

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Mafiosa posted:

Is there some reason why ya'll are glossing over the fact that Siddell retweeted a group of polite, yet mildly upset people, many of whom identified as transwomen, for the sole purpose of mocking them in front of an audience of 13k people or like are you gonna keep prattling on about CRAZY these strawmen youve invented are

Or he retweeted them in an attempt to explain and apologize sincerely and publicly, because the first thing he said after that was an apology? And he took them down by their request because those very people were getting attacked?

It was multiple misunderstandings one after another on all sides.

Edit:

Rasselas posted:

So why didn't these mild and polite people realize it was meant as a joke in no way connected to their issues? Could it be that it was them who failed to give Siddell the benefit of doubt?

If I was a transperson I wouldn't have reacted that way, I would probably be apologizing to him for misunderstanding the initial tweet and assuming he's some kind of hater.

They did do that. Everyone involved apologized. You all should actually read the entire exchange rather than making these assumptions.

mdct fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Mar 3, 2014

Rasselas
Oct 26, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT FUCKIN' TRANNIES HARASSING GLORIOUS UNIMPEACHABLE WEBCOMIC ARTIST TOM SIDDELL WITH THEIR FALSE CLAIMS TO VICTIMHOOD, THE CODDLED FUCKS! STIFF UPPER LIP! I'M A TREMENDOUS JACKASS WHO CAN'T FATHOM ANYTHING OUTSIDE MY BUBBLE! TUMBLRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

Mafiosa posted:

Is there some reason why ya'll are glossing over the fact that Siddell retweeted a group of polite, yet mildly upset people, many of whom identified as transwomen, for the sole purpose of mocking them in front of an audience of 13k people or like are you gonna keep prattling on about CRAZY these strawmen youve invented are

So why didn't these mild and polite people realize it was meant as a joke in no way connected to their issues? Could it be that it was them who failed to give Siddell the benefit of doubt?

If I was a transperson I wouldn't have reacted that way, I would probably be apologizing to him for misunderstanding the initial tweet and assuming he's some kind of hater.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

^^^ lmao holy poo poo

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Or he retweeted them in an attempt to explain and apologize sincerely, because the first thing he said after that was an apology? And he took them down by their request because those very people were getting attacked?

It was multiple misunderstandings one after another on all sides. You're being just as much a strawman as the very people you're condemning.

The first thing he said after he retweeted them was "The internet has become an incredible place" and it took him almost an hour to respond.
After his initial apology it still took him over 20 minutes to delete the retweets.

Also that's not what strawman means, hth.

e: Why didn't Siddell just apologize in the first place instead of painting a target on people who genuinely misunderstood.

Heavy Zed
Mar 23, 2013

Is there anything here I can swing from?

Rasselas posted:

Serious question: How do you know that?

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

Mafiosa posted:

The first thing he said after he retweeted them was "The internet has become incredible place" and it took him almost an hour to respond.
After his initial apology it still took him over 20 minutes to delete the retweets.

Also that's not what strawman means, hth.

Judging intent through text is hard, and I know, that's why I edited it out. Momentary lapse in judgement.

(Also, watching a movie will usually lead you to being distracted for a couple hours.)

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Mafiosa posted:

Is there some reason why ya'll are glossing over the fact that Siddell retweeted a group of polite, yet mildly upset people, many of whom identified as transwomen, for the sole purpose of mocking them in front of an audience of 13k people or like are you gonna keep prattling on about CRAZY these strawmen youve invented are.

e: also glad we're all still doing that thing where people genuinely believe people look for reasons to be offended to deflect criticism.

Considering all of the retweets were taken down before most of us could probably see them, its hard to judge what intent they were made with?

But clearly one side is made up of only the purest angelic humanity and the other is the vilest scum ever known to humankind. :shrug:

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
I really hate "If I were in this person's shoes I would... :eng101:" stuff because you aren't in that person's shoes, and trans people have to put up with a lot of poo poo other people don't have to deal with. Not everybody is you.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

GodFish posted:

Considering all of the retweets were taken down before most of us could probably see them, its hard to judge what intent they were made with?

But clearly one side is made up of only the purest angelic humanity and the other is the vilest scum ever known to humankind. :shrug:

Literally no one said this ever, but thanks for your input.

The crux of my issue, and what the discussion keep circling back to, is why is was a good idea, at all, to shove marginalized people into a spotlight for the sole purpose of exposing them to a huge audience which, if the gunnerkrigg comment section is anything to do by, less than understanding.

It was not a good choice and tbh it's soured me on Gunnerkrigg because that's not really something I wanted or expected from someone who's comic is very LGBT friendly.

VVV After several hours and multiple people had to ask him and at least 10-20 minutes after the initial apology. How was it even remotely okay to do in the first place?

fun hater fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Mar 3, 2014

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

Mafiosa posted:

The crux of my issue, and what the discussion keep circling back to, is why is was a good idea, at all, to shove marginalized people into a spotlight for the sole purpose of exposing them to a huge audience which, if the gunnerkrigg comment section is anything to do by, less than understanding.

It wasn't, which is why he deleted the retweets.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.
I'm going to go with it being just poorly thought-out rather than malicious.

The idea that those people would be sympathetic vs. vicious.

Because no one reads the comments.

Rasselas
Oct 26, 2008

Heavy Zed posted:

Serious question: How do you know that?

Because I've jumped at jokes before, only later realizing they weren't meant at all in the way I thought they were. I felt bad for it afterwards. So when someone jokes I don't assume they love Hitler or whatever, it's a joke, jokes are usually irreverent in some way. That's how humans deal with heavy poo poo, among other things.

If you're asking whether I can fathom the levels of persecution that trans people go through? I'm not trans but I grew up in a war and had to flee from being killed just because I was born a certain ethnicity, does that give me enough victimhood status to guess at it? I also had a sexuality-identity crisis in the middle of a warzone, yet I can still recognize when something is a joke unrelated to whatever I might've gone through.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
You keep saying 10-20 minutes as if that is a long time. That is in fact a very short period of time.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

Mafiosa posted:

VVV After several hours and multiple people had to ask him and at least 10-20 minutes after the initial apology. How was it even remotely okay to do in the first place?

He was watching a movie and probably not sitting at the computer refreshing twitter? I don't know, I'm not spying on the guy. 20 minutes is not a long amount of time.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

Wittgen posted:

You keep saying 10-20 minutes as if that is a long time. That is in fact a very short period of time.

I didn't realize it took more than maybe 5 seconds to delete a tweet.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Mafiosa posted:

I didn't realize it took more than maybe 5 seconds to delete a tweet.

I didn't realize people were literally tethered to their twitter accounts watching for responses.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.
Yeah come on, that's the least reasonable thing. I check twitter maybe every half hour at best and that's when I'm actually at my computer, even.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fun hater
May 24, 2009

So I take it no one is actually reading anything I'm posting because what I've said multiple times is that the amount of time it took between apology for tweets to deletion of other peoples tweets was too long.

e: look, my point is this, as someone who watch this happen in real time: dragging in people to laugh at them was lovely and that was the distinct vibe I got from the tweet reblogs.