Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

prezbuluskey posted:

I start my new job tomorrow, and the HR person said she was going to send me first day info, but I never got any. I sent her an email asking for it Friday but she never got back to me. The job is in a huge building downtown with several floors. What do I do?

If it's in a big building there's probably a security desk. Go to the security desk and tell them you're starting your first day at X company and ask what floor reception is on. You'll probably have to get buzzed/badged in anyway. Go to the main receptionist, introduce yourself, and tell her you're there for whatever job you got and your contact is the HR person you emailed on Friday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prezbuluskey
Jul 23, 2007
A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.

Bloody Queef posted:

If it's in a big building there's probably a security desk. Go to the security desk and tell them you're starting your first day at X company and ask what floor reception is on. You'll probably have to get buzzed/badged in anyway. Go to the main receptionist, introduce yourself, and tell her you're there for whatever job you got and your contact is the HR person you emailed on Friday.

Great, thanks!

Also this is a dumb question but its in DC (actually rosslyn) and we have a massive snowstorm coming in. I don't know their cancellation policy, and I plan on taking the metro to get in, but has anyone dealt with this on a first day?

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

prezbuluskey posted:

Great, thanks!

Also this is a dumb question but its in DC (actually rosslyn) and we have a massive snowstorm coming in. I don't know their cancellation policy, and I plan on taking the metro to get in, but has anyone dealt with this on a first day?

Call whoever your HR person is if you start seeing reports of half the city closing. Otherwise, take a cab or whatever to make sure you get there. Don't be late on your first day unless the snowstorm is Armageddon. Even then... I probably wouldn't want to risk it.

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga

Misogynist posted:

Google hasn't published the raw numbers, but has spoken openly about how, when running the data, they found the process to be a complete waste of time:
http://www.deathandtaxesmag.com/200732/google-admits-its-famous-job-interview-questions-were-a-complete-waste-of-time/

I don't agree that this is a reasonable and logical approach to problem-solving. This is figuring out how to sell a random guess with made-up numbers as the answer to a question that the business needs. I can see how this is a very useful skill for a consultant to have, but it's worthless for organizations that care about having accurate data.

Hmm, still not quite the same as what management consulting asks for though. Having an idea of which data you would need to get to answer a question is the relevant skill it tests for, not being able to randomly guess numbers. If you were actually on the case in a decent consulting company (what that means I don't know) then you should be gathering data as well.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

Hand of the King posted:

People still include references on resumes?

I think it's pretty industry-specific. I'm a biologist and in the past 2 months, I've had at least 6-7 people contact me wanting a reference for one of their applicants. I always include a page of references in my application packet, mostly because one of my references is a very well-known and respected researcher in my field and I figure someone seeing his name and knowing he will vouch for me can't hurt. If you don't include references and they want them, it's just another step they have to go through. That's the way I see it anyhow. Might as well give them all the info they need up-front.

On USAJobs and a lot of state government websites, a page of references is part of the online application packet for many jobs. So you kind of have to include them with your application packet.

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

It's all in the game, yo.
I've been at my job long enough to understand what my duties and what I actually do so I decided it's time to update the resume. I was hired as a tech (which is my title) but actually work as an analyst. Is it cool to write down as the first bullet point "performed the duties of a (my job) analyst"?

FWIW, after starting work, they offered to train me as an analyst in expectation of positions opening up after a contract renewal. Also, that job is more interesting than just being a tech.

prezbuluskey posted:

Great, thanks!

Regarding your other post, I did the same thing in a similar area and felt like I looked like an idiot. No, security guard, I can't use the other door because I don't have a card to get in! It was an awkward 5-10 minutes but it ended. Are you supporting the federal government in any way? Call HR, call your boss, check your company's website, whatever, but you are probably not working tomorrow. I know I'm not. In fact, my second day of work was canceled due to snow. Call folks.

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005

prezbuluskey posted:

I start my new job tomorrow, and the HR person said she was going to send me first day info, but I never got any. I sent her an email asking for it Friday but she never got back to me. The job is in a huge building downtown with several floors. What do I do?

You should be set now that you posted this. Just show your employer this thread if they ask why you were late or missing and they'll realize you tried.

megazord
Jul 16, 2001

I had an interview last Friday and I felt it went well considering:

- I spent the nights leading up to it mastering my responses and delivery of behavioral questions. I had a list of the exact questions this company asks because I have a friend in their HR dept.

- They asked ZERO behavioral questions and instead brought an engineer in to interview me. It turned into a very technical quiz about network security and firewalls.

- I was prepared because I had started to review material the night before thinking a second-round interview would be the technical one. I answered all those questions.

I called my HR friend back and said "wtf they didn't bother to ask what my weaknesses were or how I handled a conflict with a coworker!" She said because you can be the best behavioral candidate and still not know poo poo, what good does that do them?

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

What should I put on my CV when a previous employer has rebranded? The new name that people can find through a Google search or the old name that matches my letters of recommendation?

Cranbe
Dec 9, 2012

greazeball posted:

What should I put on my CV when a previous employer has rebranded? The new name that people can find through a Google search or the old name that matches my letters of recommendation?

ABC Corp (formerly DefCo Ltd.)

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

What's a good way to respond to a job ad that doesn't specify the pay, but asks you give your current and expected salaries in the cover letter? Do you need to justify why you think you deserve that amount? Do you keep it simple and say "I make X, I expect at least Y"?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

bitterandtwisted posted:

What's a good way to respond to a job ad that doesn't specify the pay, but asks you give your current and expected salaries in the cover letter? Do you need to justify why you think you deserve that amount? Do you keep it simple and say "I make X, I expect at least Y"?

I ignore it, and have gotten job interviews even if the job posting explicitly said to include salary expectations.

I would not ever tell them what I currently make, but if I was going to say what I wanted, I would say something like "... would expect a salary of $x to $y, depending on the particulars of the position and benefit package that was offered", with $x to $y being a relatively broad range.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Had a phone interview for a job last week. Took an assessment exam on Thursday. They said they'd grade them over the weekend and contact me next week if they had any follow-up. When should I contact them? Also, how do I word that email?

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

I ignore it, and have gotten job interviews even if the job posting explicitly said to include salary expectations.

I would not ever tell them what I currently make, but if I was going to say what I wanted, I would say something like "... would expect a salary of $x to $y, depending on the particulars of the position and benefit package that was offered", with $x to $y being a relatively broad range.

Yeah, I should probably put this in the OP. You should literally never list your current salary, as the only possible reason they care is to lowball you offer-wise.

Even if it says it's required, I would ignore that and not send it. I would also not send 'salary requirements' -- if you are tailoring your resumes and explaining why you are the ideal fit for the job, you'll probably still get pings, and if you don't - you didn't want to work there anyway. I know that sounds smug in this economy, but really, you don't want to work for a place that starts things off by trying to bring you in as absolutely 100% as cheap as is humanly possible.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

What's the least dorky way to start a cover letter? "To Whom It May Concern" and "Dear Hiring Manager" sounds awful - what's standard?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

THS posted:

What's the least dorky way to start a cover letter? "To Whom It May Concern" and "Dear Hiring Manager" sounds awful - what's standard?

Mr. / Ms. (Name of hiring manager),

Yadda yadda yadda.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

I don't know the name of the hiring manager.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

THS posted:

I don't know the name of the hiring manager.
This is correct.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

Misogynist posted:

This is correct.

They want you to spend an hour online doing google searches and making phone calls to find out this person's name. It "shows initiative".

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

razz posted:

They want you to spend an hour online doing google searches and making phone calls to find out this person's name. It "shows initiative".
If it takes an hour to find a number for the HR department and ask the person who answers the phone "hey, what's the name of the hiring manager for this position?" then I may have some other doubts about the candidate's ability to promptly do whatever else the job is asking for.

Bonefish
Jul 29, 2008
Quick question.

I have a pretty good lead on a job from a great internship I had this summer and work remotely for, but I think my manager (on my side entirely) is accounting for the possibility of it being a bit difficult to carve out headcount for me to join. My manager is both trying to help me get a job on his team (preferable) or if not that, something similar, so he is often asking me to send my resume so he can distribute to various people in the company.

So here's my question. I am finishing engineering school, but these positions aren't exactly engineering - which I am thrilled about. They're related in that the positions are more technical than most jobs, but its not programming like I went to school for. I have a 3.35 GPA in CS. Do I put this on the resume? I know its not a bad GPA or great for that matter, and CS GPA's are usually lower than other majors. It's a large company with a big name that can pretty much get whoever they want, so does putting that on there put me at a disadvantage? Should I just leave CS to speak for itself since they probably are not getting resumes from all CS majors?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Not a hiring manager, but I feel like if you have to do a significant amount of work to find a name, then it becomes kinda weird.

Misogynist posted:

If it takes an hour to find a number for the HR department and ask the person who answers the phone "hey, what's the name of the hiring manager for this position?" then I may have some other doubts about the candidate's ability to promptly do whatever else the job is asking for.

What hr department wants applicants to call? I almost always see an explicit request not to call them.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Xandu posted:

What hr department wants applicants to call? I almost always see an explicit request not to call them.
I love when I see that! Then I know that HR considers finding the right candidates to be an inconvenience, and I know I should be applying somewhere else instead.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008
Don't put your GPA on your resume unless it's above 3.5, or you are applying to a program that lists a cutoff and you are above the cutoff.

"To whom it may concern" is fine.

Don't call a loving HR department trying to find out the hiring manager's name. It will not endear you to anyone and I promise you it doesn't matter. Most good HR departments also won't volunteer that information.

Unknownmass
Nov 3, 2007
It has been over a month after I applied for a position and heard nothing back. Is it worth responding to the position again as the website still has it listed?

And I do not understand how a hiring manager does not send a rejection email after I have all ready interviewed and there was only 5 candidates. It has been over two and half weeks so I get I was not selected, but it must be to much work to send a one line email for some people.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Unknownmass posted:

It has been over a month after I applied for a position and heard nothing back. Is it worth responding to the position again as the website still has it listed?

And I do not understand how a hiring manager does not send a rejection email after I have all ready interviewed and there was only 5 candidates. It has been over two and half weeks so I get I was not selected, but it must be to much work to send a one line email for some people.

No, it isn't worth reapplying. They know you're interested.

It generally isn't the "sending the email" part, it's the "dealing with the nos" part the hiring managers don't want to do. That said, if you've done an interview, I consider it a tremendous breach of professionalism to not send a rejection notice. If you agree, use http://www.emailyourinterviewer.com/ and send them an anonymous message (but note the requirements about followups and timelines before you use their service.)

Unknownmass
Nov 3, 2007
Thanks. I will wait another week or two but am pretty sure that someone has been hired as the position needed to be filled quickly and was told a decision would be made over a week ago.

I have question about resume formatting. The most recent/current job is placed at the top of the resume and I have that. But as I have been unemployed recently I have taken on more responsibility with a non-profit that I volunteer with. It is not consistent work and the hours vary depending on what needs to be done and it is all unpaid. Where should I list this? Do I put it at the top as it is what I currently do outside of looking for a job? Or on the bottom as it is volunteer work? It is also not related to the field I wish to work in, but does have some plus like people management, heavy emphasis on organisation and other general work skills.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Cpt.Wacky posted:

(NOT RELATIVES; Please list at least three)

It's a generic 6! page application form used for every position from grunt to big boss. I'm ok leaving it blank.

Finally got a call back to schedule an interview. So excited, so nervous. Thanks thread!

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
What does it mean when a position has been listed on a job site since last September? Is it even worth applying to? Did they forget to take it down?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Either one is possible. We've got some positions on my company's site that are 6 months old and actively being recruited for, but I've seen other ones that old where 24 hours after I submit an application I get an email saying the position has already been filled.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

the posted:

What does it mean when a position has been listed on a job site since last September? Is it even worth applying to? Did they forget to take it down?
I spent 14 months trying to fill a storage engineer position once. It happens, especially for exotic skillsets or work environments that don't pay market rate like non-profits.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Misogynist posted:

I spent 14 months trying to fill a storage engineer position once. It happens, especially for exotic skillsets or work environments that don't pay market rate like non-profits.

I'm glad you said this. My cousin has a friend that works at a non-profit, and he said she might contact me (as he knows I am looking for an Accounting position).

It's out of state, though, and I own a house, so relocation is kind of a thing. How much lower than market are we talking?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Zarin posted:

I'm glad you said this. My cousin has a friend that works at a non-profit, and he said she might contact me (as he knows I am looking for an Accounting position).

It's out of state, though, and I own a house, so relocation is kind of a thing. How much lower than market are we talking?
Every organization is different and has different funding models, so it's hard to generalize. One near-universal constant is that unless you're talking about scientific research, relocation assistance from a non-profit is almost unheard of, though.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Misogynist posted:

Every organization is different and has different funding models, so it's hard to generalize. One near-universal constant is that unless you're talking about scientific research, relocation assistance from a non-profit is almost unheard of, though.

Good deal, glad to know.

I figured that was how it would be, but I wasn't sure.

It's trickier because I'm almost 30, and graduated last year. I have quite a bit of work experience, but it seems like the entry-level positions that are calling me back in my field (accounting) are quoting me some crazy-low numbers. I'm feeling like it's going to be a stretch to find a company that will pay me anywhere near what I'm worth, let alone a non-profit. (For the record, I know precisely what my company pays for accountants, and am willing to even shave off some of that and would still move, but it's still looking bleak).

Maybe I'll just hope the non-profit lady doesn't call? :ohdear:

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Zarin posted:

Good deal, glad to know.

I figured that was how it would be, but I wasn't sure.

It's trickier because I'm almost 30, and graduated last year. I have quite a bit of work experience, but it seems like the entry-level positions that are calling me back in my field (accounting) are quoting me some crazy-low numbers. I'm feeling like it's going to be a stretch to find a company that will pay me anywhere near what I'm worth, let alone a non-profit. (For the record, I know precisely what my company pays for accountants, and am willing to even shave off some of that and would still move, but it's still looking bleak).

Maybe I'll just hope the non-profit lady doesn't call? :ohdear:
My brother-in-law is in the same situation. He's a super-smart guy with an MBA and great time management skills, but he can't seem to land anything above a dog-turd-pay entry-level job at any of the companies in the area so he's working as a mortgage originator with a credit union.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Misogynist posted:

My brother-in-law is in the same situation. He's a super-smart guy with an MBA and great time management skills, but he can't seem to land anything above a dog-turd-pay entry-level job at any of the companies in the area so he's working as a mortgage originator with a credit union.

Ugh. I instinctively want to punch everyone that says "you should just be glad you have a job!", but this search is making me wonder if they know something I don't after all.

Granted, I've only been searching for less than a month, and I still have some promising leads, but I've already had more people quote me hilariously low salaries than I have promising leads left. (At least, I think they're promising. Maybe they'll just quote me more of the same . . . )

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Zarin posted:

Ugh. I instinctively want to punch everyone that says "you should just be glad you have a job!", but this search is making me wonder if they know something I don't after all.

Granted, I've only been searching for less than a month, and I still have some promising leads, but I've already had more people quote me hilariously low salaries than I have promising leads left. (At least, I think they're promising. Maybe they'll just quote me more of the same . . . )
If you're not already working in the field, people are going to lowball you left and right because they can. Once you're established and don't come across like you actually need the job you're interviewing for, you can name your own salary.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Misogynist posted:

Did he have work experience before he got his MBA? Sort of a pivotal thing to have BEFORE you get an MBA.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

What's the best way to inquire about travel assistance for an interview in another state, if they didn't mention it in the initial e-mail requesting an interview?

Just ask if there's travel assistance? Something more tactful? If this matters, it seems an intern is coordinating the e-mail while the person I interviewed with over the phone is out of the office until Tuesday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
30 year old here, Physics degree. Been searching for a job for 4 months. I'm running out of income to pay the bills. Eventually I'm going to have to get a job anywhere to put food on the table, which will mean a coffee shop or something. Is this what I worked hard for?