Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Coughing Hobo posted:

But man, when you get back in control of Kiryu, it's one of the best moments in the entire game.

Yeah no kidding. I think having him be the last one and leveling him up so high was the perfect choice. It allowed all the new guys to shine in the spotlight and be really cool in their own ways, then when you finally get control of Kiryu you feel godlike, but in a way that elevates him as opposed to a way that diminishes how cool everyone else is.

Also manlyshirtless extravaganza in the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I need to know the exact minute Ishin becomes available to buy on the PS store, presumably tomorrow evening sometime. The website says it has that feature where you can start playing it before it is done downloading.

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
I'm holding out hope that it'll go up on midnight but since everything else on the store seems to be up already I suspect it'll be midday Saturday, as that is when the Japanese store usually updates. It's also 3am in the UK :(

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
It sometimes happens that I import a game thinking that it'll never come out in the west, only for it to get announced weeks later.

I hope so much that happens with this.

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
It's up! 8600 yen, which is ridiculous. 25 gigs in all, and it lets you lay after around 4900 megs. PSN is dead slow in Japan at the moment, though.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Gutcruncher posted:

Yeah no kidding. I think having him be the last one and leveling him up so high was the perfect choice. It allowed all the new guys to shine in the spotlight and be really cool in their own ways, then when you finally get control of Kiryu you feel godlike, but in a way that elevates him as opposed to a way that diminishes how cool everyone else is.

Also manlyshirtless extravaganza in the end.

Agreed, I remember being a little bummed playing through as all those badasses, because then Kiryu was just gonna seem like some punk nobody OH WAIT NO HE'S A loving POWERHOUSE YEEEEAH

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Was it in 3 or 4 where the climb the halfbuilt tower as Kiryu and can basically counter your way into a no damage climb up the whole thing and feel like an absolute walking god? That's my favorite moment in the whole series.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Zaggitz posted:

Was it in 3 or 4 where the climb the halfbuilt tower as Kiryu and can basically counter your way into a no damage climb up the whole thing and feel like an absolute walking god? That's my favorite moment in the whole series.

I'm pretty sure that's every game in the series. Somebody betrays Kiryu, Millennium Tower explodes, you fight up to the top of the construction site, Haruka gets kidnapped, Majima does something crazy.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I'm downloading it now, it says in 23 minutes it will be ready to play. I can't wait to stab and shoot bad people over and over again, but in such a way that they survive, so they can know how bad they are.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
So I'm on the final chapter of Yakuza 4, where you can switch between all four characters at New Serena. Without going into spoilers, is there anything I should do before starting the endgame? It was said here in the thread that there's one or two things you can't get in Premium Adventure, and that you're meant to start a new game and play through multiple times. If you're starting a new game, are you able to carry over any of the items that you've collected or sub-stories you completed?

I should point out that up until this point, I've been playing the game on Easy, and I don't know if on a harder difficulty, I would've needed to do more leveling or found better equipment.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Max Wilco posted:

So I'm on the final chapter of Yakuza 4, where you can switch between all four characters at New Serena. Without going into spoilers, is there anything I should do before starting the endgame? It was said here in the thread that there's one or two things you can't get in Premium Adventure, and that you're meant to start a new game and play through multiple times. If you're starting a new game, are you able to carry over any of the items that you've collected or sub-stories you completed?

I should point out that up until this point, I've been playing the game on Easy, and I don't know if on a harder difficulty, I would've needed to do more leveling or found better equipment.

Okay, there are three items that, when you have them all equipped at the same time, make you basically invulnerable to bullets. Get all three of those items (I believe they're each for completing pretty easy sidequests), and put them all on Tanimura, the cop. Trust me. His endgame fight is like 20 dudes with guns, and those items turn the fight from an annoying stunlocking marathon into a badass untouchable superman battle.

EDIT: Looked it up, it's the Sacred Tree set, you get the items from completing the training missions with the three trainers.

Crappy Jack fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Feb 22, 2014

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Crappy Jack posted:

Okay, there are three items that, when you have them all equipped at the same time, make you basically invulnerable to bullets. Get all three of those items (I believe they're each for completing pretty easy sidequests), and put them all on Tanimura, the cop. Trust me. His endgame fight is like 20 dudes with guns, and those items turn the fight from an annoying stunlocking marathon into a badass untouchable superman battle.

Yea I forgot their name too but you have to google them or something, they not only make a lovely fight good but Tanimura just kinda becomes a god who takes down bitches left and right and it's the best.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Tanimura was the best. I used to have him get completely shithouse drunk in the underground mall then run around responding to police calls.

I like to think the other cops are all :stare: while this drunk detective shows up and starts curbstomping people for loitering.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I'm playing Ishin now. Next-gen Yakuza is entering my brain. I set combat to hard from the start, that's been harder in some games than others, I don't know what this will be. The story drops you right in the middle of everything the same way Kenzan did, I have no idea why the gently caress Kiryu is Ryoma yet.

Oh, unlike Kenzan, now when you're unarmed you get a defensive action against swords which works like Tanimura's stuff in 4, and from the very beginning.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Feb 22, 2014

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
19th century karaoke confirmed. Also a literary cameo by Natsume Soseki (who actually wasn't born yet but let's not dwell on details). He couldn't decide which animal to use as the narrator for his book and asked Kiryu...er Sakamoto....er Saito. I was dumb and gave the historical answer.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Feb 22, 2014

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Wow, this thread sure died.

Anyway, there's something I don't understand about Ishin. In the sword+gun style I just got an ability to deflect attacks using L1, but the L1 button does nothing in that mode as far as I can tell. It did indeed work when I was learning it (the same way as it works when you are unarmed) but when I stuck a sphere in that slot in the sphere grid, L1 continues to do nothing. What am I missing?

JohnnyTreachery
Dec 7, 2000
hard to care about this series when it's looking like dead souls is the last entry we'll get

:smith:

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I spent a bunch of time with the Ishin demo. I don't know...I'm not feeling it and I enjoyed the Y5 demo a lot more. I guess not being able to read most of the text is the problem because most of what I enjoyed about this series are the little stories.

I still have a tiny tiny bit of hope in my heart that Yakuza 5 will be localized because I hate myself.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Samurai Sanders posted:

Wow, this thread sure died.

Anyway, there's something I don't understand about Ishin. In the sword+gun style I just got an ability to deflect attacks using L1, but the L1 button does nothing in that mode as far as I can tell. It did indeed work when I was learning it (the same way as it works when you are unarmed) but when I stuck a sphere in that slot in the sphere grid, L1 continues to do nothing. What am I missing?

Is this the one where you can deflect a bullet+immediately shoot back? It might be useless in the demo if you never run into dudes with guns.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Neo Rasa posted:

Is this the one where you can deflect a bullet+immediately shoot back? It might be useless in the demo if you never run into dudes with guns.
I didn't know I had any ability like that, there isn't anything on the ability list. Yeah, enemies with guns do show up though.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
I have a question about Isin: is there any reason to use the save point when you can just save whenever? I'm a little confused here.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Oh, you can save anywhere? I didn't notice, since you're never more than a block away from a save point. Anyway it wouldn't surprise me, I have seen a few JRPGs recently that have save everywhere but also save points, just to uphold tradition I guess.

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?
All this talk about Ishin has me so excited, but I don't want to import if I can't appreciate the story of MANLY MEN DOING MANLY THINGS. drat it, Sega...

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
Good news for those that bought the Asian version of Ishin either on Bluray or from the Hong Kong PlayStation Store:
The free Ishin Vita app is now available in the Hong Kong PS Store. Everything is in Japanese.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

Oh, you can save anywhere? I didn't notice, since you're never more than a block away from a save point. Anyway it wouldn't surprise me, I have seen a few JRPGs recently that have save everywhere but also save points, just to uphold tradition I guess.

Pretty early in the game there's a tip telling you about it. You just press option and then it's the last menu option together with a bunch of unrelated stuff.

One curious (to me anyway) thing is if you buy the Asian edition of this game it comes with a book that is as thick as the Blu-Ray case with a Chinese translation of the game's entire script.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

One curious (to me anyway) thing is if you buy the Asian edition of this game it comes with a book that is as thick as the Blu-Ray case with a Chinese translation of the game's entire script.

At this point I would settle for them doing this and calling it an English version.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Sometimes they just plain release English language games in Japan. I don't think English speakers would tolerate it though; we are used to being catered too like crazy in terms of language.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

mikeycp posted:

At this point I would settle for them doing this and calling it an English version.

I wouldn't have any issues if they did that as well. Heck, if they made it a digital version and let us call it up within the game ala Ni No Kuni that would be even better.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
The gun system in Ishin is really not good. A sensible way to balance keeping away enemies with the guns would be to require you to reload them every six shots, but this not the case; instead they made them apparently random in whether they knock down enemies or not. As it is, they are 100% plinking weapons, which both means they are useless for keeping groups of enemies away, but also will stunlock a single enemy indefinitely. I was hoping for something more like Assassin's Creed 3 and 4, which to its credit did guns in a primarily melee action game gloriously right: they take forever to reload but will put an enemy down in one or two shots, almost guaranteed.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

The gun system in Ishin is really not good. A sensible way to balance keeping away enemies with the guns would be to require you to reload them every six shots, but this not the case; instead they made them apparently random in whether they knock down enemies or not. As it is, they are 100% plinking weapons, which both means they are useless for keeping groups of enemies away, but also will stunlock a single enemy indefinitely. I was hoping for something more like Assassin's Creed 3 and 4, which to its credit did guns in a primarily melee action game gloriously right: they take forever to reload but will put an enemy down in one or two shots, almost guaranteed.

Do you actually use it a lot? I've been kinda hoarding the neutral balls in case the game suddenly starts having a lot of gun or gun/sword.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Do you actually use it a lot? I've been kinda hoarding the neutral balls in case the game suddenly starts having a lot of gun or gun/sword.
The gun+sword mode is the mode that has the best dodging and direction changing, so yeah, I use it a lot, just not the gun part so much.

But as I said before, there's something I don't understand: the ability list says I should be able to block, but I can't, all the block button does is cause me to stand still and get hit.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Oh god, I love how this game told the story of the beginning of the Satsuma-Choshu alliance.

Sakamoto beat up both of their representatives (Gouda and Akiyama under different names) in a drunken brawl, then made them go bar hopping with him, while beating the poo poo out of bandits all along the way. Sakamoto didn't remember how the night ended but apparently they are allies now.

All I know from history class is that with Sakamoto's intervention, they overcame their differences, but that was a good way to portray it.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Mar 1, 2014

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

The gun+sword mode is the mode that has the best dodging and direction changing, so yeah, I use it a lot, just not the gun part so much.

But as I said before, there's something I don't understand: the ability list says I should be able to block, but I can't, all the block button does is cause me to stand still and get hit.

Wait a minute... are you telling me you can switch at any point? I thought you just had to use whatever style you started the fight with.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Wait a minute... are you telling me you can switch at any point? I thought you just had to use whatever style you started the fight with.
Use the d-pad to change styles. Up = gun+sword, left = gun, right = sword, down = unarmed or special weapons (spear, nodachi, cannon).

If only you could change styles mid-combo...

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

Use the d-pad to change styles. Up = gun+sword, left = gun, right = sword, down = unarmed or special weapons (spear, nodachi, cannon).

If only you could change styles mid-combo...

I don't know how I missed that, but good to know.

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008
Why is the hostess dressup and thing in general so fun in 4? I just spend a quarter of an hour getting the outfit and makeup just right and coming up with a snappy name for it while the cheesy music plays. What's wrong with me? I hope no one walks in...

Bastards! They pistol-whipped Hana!. They're loving dead now. That's it.

Oh god Akiyama's first revelation had me in stitches so bad I hosed up the first button prompt, nearly dropped the controller when the orchestral music kicked in. Since there are 4 characters I'm guessing I'm not even a quarter done? I hope so. PANTY NINJAAA

TehGherkin fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Mar 2, 2014

Zaii
Nov 6, 2005

Check it out, I downloaded a little dance!
I'm loving Ishin. Absolutely loving it.

I have no idea what I'm doing, except wandering around, getting drunk and beating up dudes with my bare fists. I don't care if they're armed, I'm just brawlin'

So far, this eclipses Y5 for me.

EDIT: Oh, whats the DLC code on the back of the booklet for?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
So I finished Yakuza 4 a couple of days ago, and I have to say that I absolutely loved it.

I was thinking about picking up Yakuza: Dead Souls. Looking through the thread, I’ve read mixed things about it. Is the game just outright bad, or does it just fall flat when compared to the other games in the series? I know that’s it’s supposed to be a tech-demo of sorts for Binary Domain.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
It's alright, really. It has some high points, such as a certain quest between Daigo and Majima, and.. well just Majima in general. If you're picking it up cheap you won't feel bad about it, I'd wager.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
I don't regret my purchase of Dead Souls at all. Let the game aim for you and go crazy with doing cool manly stuff, but with dumb zombies this time!

• Locked thread