Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

comes along bort posted:

honestly i don't see why everyone's so upset. i mean the guy willingly paid money for a prs, it's not like taste or good judgment were ever part of his decision making process. this just seems like the logical end result of a deeper pathology

agree but it's a stronger symptom than i'm used to seeing :weed:

White Dog Eggs posted:

To be fair, the guy did sand the neck down. PRS use that goopy poly stuff on their necks and it gets a bit sticky after a while.

did either of the guys you relic'd play well enough to pick up on something like that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

remember that time you learn phygrian dominant? thought it sounded cool? well now there is a whole band based on that one scale!!!

White Dog Eggs posted:

Confession time: I've done two relic jobs and I felt like a twat both times. The first time I sprayed the guitar with butane to crack the finish, then rubbed paint thinner over the bits that wear most and dropped it a few times. The second guy wanted a 'heavy relic' so I dropped it down the stairs and stripped some paint with a blowtorch, looked completely stupid but both customers were happy :shrug:.

I don't get it at all

the only time I've "reliced" anything was in my old band. I was playing bass but didn't have one, and was skint, so my guitarist went and bought me a piece of poo poo purple stagg with a pink strap. that thing got heavily abused by everyone in the band to the point of it being set alight, smashed against walls and jumped on because it was A PIECE OF poo poo I HATE IT STILL

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
Relicing is the worst crap ever. Literally the most poser bullshit someone can do.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

HollisBrown posted:

I want to force every PRS owner to watch this Clockwork Orange style for 2 weeks straight.

"It's a sin! It's a sin! Oh, is that really the time? Can we stop here? I have a bridge fitting at two o' clock, and then I'll be tightening braces until closing time."

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.

unlawfulsoup posted:

Relicing is the worst crap ever. Literally the most poser bullshit someone can do.

i don't even understand the point. i am sad when i ding my guitar.

bitchtard
Dec 3, 2010

I burnt all the paint off my bass because it was some supremely gay sparkle poo poo. Sometimes it is the lesser of two evils.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I like my current guitar so much that if I happen to be wearing a jacket when I'm playing and hear any part of it rubbing on the finish on the back, I put down my guitar and take that poo poo off. I'd take my belt off too before I got "buckle rash" or whatever he was talking about in that video. I'd sooner my pants fall off my rear end than that guitar get a mark on it.

But if I were in a real band playing gigs I'd get some piece of poo poo beater and do whatever with it or to it. The whole idea of relicing seems to be to make it look as if you've taken a guitar with you "on the road" even though you've never left the house with it. House guitars should look like house guitars, and they should be well-made, good quality instruments that look nice and make you want to play them.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
i never got the buckle rash thing. just put your belt on with the buckle to the side while you're playing and put it back like normal when you're done ya dingus

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

I lie awake, staring out at the bleakness of Megadon.
I get the appeal of relicing, especially on Fender-style guitars, but it's still super lame. Really, whose guitar even gets that hosed up? SRV is like the only guy in history to actually have a guitar that was that trashed and still playable. Hell, one of my friends used to take this black 60's Les Paul to his gigs without a case, he'd play like a madman, and the only part of the finish that was worn down was the back where his belt-buckle hosed it up.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
Ira Kaplan had a pretty beat-up guitar when I saw Yo La Tengo, but it was just one guitar in a massive arsenal and he was spazzing out while playing it, so I imagine it's hit a number of things over the last few decades, including the ground of the stage he was playing on.

EDIT: It was this one.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

BUSH 2112 posted:

SRV is like the only guy in history to actually have a guitar that was that trashed and still playable.

Willie Nelson would kick your rear end if he wasn't so stoned right now

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

comes along bort posted:

i never got the buckle rash thing. just put your belt on with the buckle to the side while you're playing and put it back like normal when you're done ya dingus

who the hell is looking at the back of your guitar anyway

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Stux posted:

remember that time you learn phygrian dominant? thought it sounded cool? well now there is a whole band based on that one scale!!!

you still dumb

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

just gonna leave this here

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over
haha we carry that one at my store and i like it

not enough to buy it but...

alkaline trio is p. good even at their worst they're like the little brother of an actually good band

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
There are so many worse guitars that a silly thing like that barely registers on my radar.

If I didn't want an Ovation acoustic I would probably spring for something that silly. I don't know what Alkaline Trio has to do with it, or even what they sound like, but it's not a terrible guitar.

For reference the terrible guitar I want is this thing

(I probably don't want one with those holes...)

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over
it's a Alkaline Trio malibue the heart is in reference to their logo

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over
have you ever actually played an ovation? cause i've never played one i liked. get an ibanez (under $300) or takamine or seagul ($300-$ 500) or guild/taylor/martin/gibson and be happier

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

mclast posted:

have you ever actually played an ovation? cause i've never played one i liked. get an ibanez (under $300) or takamine or seagul ($300-$ 500) or guild/taylor/martin/gibson and be happier
Yeah messed with one at a store recently. I like the idea of an ultra-durable acoustic, but it's super-low on my list since my main guitar is a hollow-body electric (so unplugged it doesn't sound all that bad) and I have a budget Takamine sitting around that I was going to sell, but it's set up well, sounds fine, and was $30, so there's just no reason to get rid of it. I never play the drat thing, and also it needs a new pickguard.

I also prefer electrics, because you can paint them so they're terribly ugly.

Ghost of Reagan Past fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Mar 3, 2014

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

My Ovation played like poo poo, but it was a loving tank. It's decent for gigs where your space is confined, because the plastic back part slides off of anything that you'd bang a normal acoustic into. Pretty bad neck dive, though.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Can somebody compile all the good funny posts in this thread for me? Thanks in advance.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

a starwar betamax posted:

Can somebody compile all the good funny posts in this thread for me? Thanks in advance.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3597233&userid=18415

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

word i'm just a traditionalist, or something, if they're gonna be that different they should be that much better to justify it.

i'm probably gonna drop a grand on a cordoba acoustic/electric steelstring within the next year, even though i mainly play electric v:shobon:v

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
My next instrument purchase is a mandolin. Or a banjo. I don't know.

Speaking of mandolins have an old ugly instrument.

mclast posted:

word i'm just a traditionalist, or something, if they're gonna be that different they should be that much better to justify it.
gently caress tradition.

*sits down with a tube amp and a jazz box to play "The Girl From Ipanema" with bebop substitutions*

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

gently caress tradition.

*sits down with a tube amp and a jazz box to play "The Girl From Ipanema" with bebop substitutions*

my old posthardcore band talked about replacing a set of originals with a faithful cover of inna gadda da vida but we never quite mustered the balls to do it

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Speaking of mandolins have an old ugly instrument.

that mandolin owns. i have this weird old timey thing

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

REACH HEAVEN THROUGH VIOLENCE BABY

unlawfulsoup posted:

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

REACH HEAVEN THROUGH VIOLENCE BABY

mclast posted:

I just traded an old Takamine, I used to put a DeArmond pickup in the sound hole and I played that and an old Gretsch Rancher - the kid I traded that beat up thing gave me a brand new Epiphone Masterbilt - and it really sounds great - I mean, this is a wonderful guitar. Anyway, that Takamine was pretty beat up and now that kid from craigslist is happy and here, I would have traded it for like, I dunno, an 1/8th of middie weed.

Hope I never see that guitar again. I beat that thing more than Glen Hansard could have.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

a starwar betamax posted:

It's true, I come in here on weekends and post stuff, but if you believe Allen Wren that only my posts are the good funny posts, you're missing a LOT. Mostly because this thread is in GBS.

You know, the new GBS.

The very best part is that I have to courage to post my music for all of you to poo poo on and say terrible things about.
Yet, the only one of you who posted anything only did it as a joke, because that's all GBS is. It's a joke.

You act like I don't get it. Some of you are really misguided about why I drop in and post. It's some of the most fun I have online.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Mar 3, 2014

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

Dr. Faustus posted:

Yet, the only one of you who posted anything only did it as a joke, because that's all GBS is. It's a joke.

Here's my lovely old joke band that's still better than the stuff you posted

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-gavtaiIgw

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Dr. Faustus posted:

You act like I don't get it. Some of you are really misguided about why I drop in and post. It's some of the most fun I have online.

You just posted this at midnight on a Sunday evening trying to play it off like "I'm toyin' with ya guys!" but ultimately it proves your kind of a sad individual.

Fair Hallion
Jul 25, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot: :toot:

the most retarded Signature guitar ever? Pete Shelly's pawnshop piece of poo poo with the top half smashed off...

http://www.eastwoodguitars.com/index.php/eastwood-guitars/all-eastwood-guitars/solid-body-guitars/item/pete-shelley-starway-signature-ltd

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Anybody remember the magazines briefly taking note of the "Born to Rock" guitar in the '90s? Made of aluminum tubing that's supposed to take all the string tension so the neck won't warp. Unfortunately it also looks like a superstrat mated with a swing set.

Apparently the guy from Voivod plays one sometimes. The inventor applied for a patent in 1988 and it was granted in 1990, but nearly two decades after the patent appliction, he was still trying to get attention for it by submitting it to some History Channel invention competition (his website touts his honorable mention).

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Dr. Faustus posted:

It's true, I come in here on weekends and post stuff, but if you believe Allen Wren that only my posts are the good funny posts, you're missing a LOT. Mostly because this thread is in GBS.

You know, the new GBS.

The very best part is that I have to courage to post my music for all of you to poo poo on and say terrible things about.

i've been debating doing a spergpost of a photo of all my poo poo along with audio samples but jesus drat, effort

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Dr. Faustus posted:

You know, the new GBS.

It's called a 'joke'

We have these sometimes in gibbis

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

mclast posted:

did either of the guys you relic'd play well enough to pick up on something like that?

Hard to say really, I did give the instruments a full set-up so they did play better after I was through with them. The second guy was in a local Emo band and I got a lot of business through him, so I guess it's got kind of a happy ending.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
In his final move of desperation Dr. Faustus pulls the "Puppet Master" card.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Faustus, it sounds to me that you don't belong here as you clearly don't like it.

Jivesauce
Nov 22, 2007

Yarbald posted:

Here's my lovely old joke band that's still better than the stuff you posted

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-gavtaiIgw

Nope

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

unlawfulsoup posted:

I relic my necks by rubbing steel wool on them and then oiling them so they don't get sticky

Tone wool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

White Dog Eggs posted:

Hard to say really, I did give the instruments a full set-up so they did play better after I was through with them. The second guy was in a local Emo band and I got a lot of business through him, so I guess it's got kind of a happy ending.

What would you do if someone wanted you to relic one of those aluminum tube guitars I posted?

• Locked thread