Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Endless Mike posted:

Poncho says he is "just dog." http://poochcafe.com/?cat=4

Wikipedia says he's a mutt. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pooch_Caf%C3%A9

Welp, that's pretty definitive, but somehow I always thought he was a Jack Russell Terrier or JRT mix. They do seem to think they run the world or ought to, and they are fabulous at all kinds of chaos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

He's actually a Christmas Terrier, you can tell because of the distinctive holly-shaped nose markings and the ears that float in midair two inches behind his head.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

RandomFerret posted:

He's actually a Christmas Terrier, you can tell because of the distinctive holly-shaped nose markings and the ears that float in midair two inches behind his head.

Doesn't that make him a Holly Terrier?

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

RandomFerret posted:

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

Doesn't that make him a Holly Terrier?

You two just about made me snort my Guinness :golfclap:

Wish I had the animation skills to make it so. (A Christmas or Holly Terrier, I mean.)

TofuDiva fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Mar 2, 2014

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Pros & Cons

Sally Forth

The Amazing Spider-Man

Please, no! He's just a child! :cry:

Prince Valiant

Juliet Jones

Phantom Classic

Big Ben Bolt

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

... since when did the Forths have a cat?

Julet Esqu posted:

Phantom Classic

I like to think he didn't even see the Phantom escape, just saw that there must be only one man guarding him and the rest of it was obvious from there.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
Reply All

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Zits

"Deserving Porcupine"?

The series is basically about Harold drawing problems, then drawing the solutions to those problems. He drew some pies, but wasn't able to "finish" them, so he drew a hungry moose and a deserving porcupine (both described as such in the book) to finish the food for him.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

idonotlikepeas posted:

The series is basically about Harold drawing problems, then drawing the solutions to those problems. He drew some pies, but wasn't able to "finish" them, so he drew a hungry moose and a deserving porcupine (both described as such in the book) to finish the food for him.

"Deserving Porcupine" would be a great forums username.

Hmmm...

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Now I know you're somebody's alt designed for trolling. No one would ever post Reply All in a serious manner, out of the blue, without commentary.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Julet Esqu posted:

The Amazing Spider-Man

Please, no! He's just a child! :cry:

Couldn't the Iron man bot thing recognize Spider Mans heartbeat or something equally stupid?

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Emmy Lou

Heathcliff

The Phantom

Pickles

Sunday Rip Haywire

Classic Prince Valiant

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Attitude Indicator posted:

Couldn't the Iron man bot thing recognize Spider Mans heartbeat or something equally stupid?

Yes, but the sensors that could do that were taken out to make room for JJJ.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Speaking of Pooch Cafe. I can't remember the date, but the strip with Poncho and the other dog stuck to the bumper of a car they were chasing, giving a thumbs up to a dog in another car is one of the best things I've ever seen and would love a t-shirt of that.

Pepperoneedy
Apr 27, 2007

Rockin' it

Here ya' go

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

Just wait until Holland discovers the floater that Judge Parker left in the hot tub.

9 Chickweed Lane

I don't know, those floating spots that Bert is hallucinating in the background are more interesting than anything Gamma is blathering about.

Pibgorn

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Bloom County

Calvin And Hobbes

Cheap Thrills Cuisine

Gil Thorp is a comic about a high school sports coach (I think). I believe Julet Esqu used to post it, but stopped because of the terrible ratio of interesting strips to dull filler.

Ginger Meggs is an Australian strip that rarely attempts continuity. It does, however, frequently lead people to inquire why it smells like farts.

GoComics On The Road was last updated in October. "Add this feature to your 'My Comics Page' to stay up to date on GoComics' travels."

And Graffiti... Well, you can tell what it is.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Julet Esqu posted:

Prince Valiant

Goddamn this is amazing. :black101:

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

TofuDiva posted:

You two just about made me snort my Guinness :golfclap:

Wish I had the animation skills to make it so. (A Christmas or Holly Terrier, I mean.)

I don't know if this is exactly what you meant but...

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Attitude Indicator posted:

It could, but maybe not so much anymore since JJJ had the thing gutted so he could climb inside it.

Recently we went back and revisited the wonderful Big Time arc from The Amazing Spider-Man, and you know what? If we have archive access, there's no reason not to post some old favorites from the past sometimes. Like this one from 2010/2011:

Ok, it starts slow, but I promise you it picks up and becomes awesome. Any of you who might recognize this from what I've posted so far will know I'm right. ;)

Also, going through the Comics Kingdom archives looking for these strips just reminded me of how truly amazing The Amazing Spider-Man really is. So many crazy storylines.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
Modesty Blaise

Now we're just getting weird.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

SynthOrange posted:

Goddamn this is amazing. :black101:

Seriously, the current Prince Valiant team looks like they're really in love with the idea that they get to do Prince Valiant every week. It's the same feeling I got from the Gravelines Prison arc in the Phantom.

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.

The answer posted:

One of the servants is wearing a watch. Watches were not invented for over a thousand years after the life of Cleopatra.

Slylock Fox

The cab driver is on the right side of the car and Slylock takes place in America by default so this guy is clearly a phony. Also there's like a cop stationed right across the street so he should be able to testify.

Moose and Molly

Moose sprung for flowers but cheapened out on the dinner?

Skittles Goddess
Apr 11, 2005

Always raining down happiness
The Toronto Star is doing an online poll to choose a replacement for Doonesbury since it's going into reruns for an indefinite hiatus. The three choices are Dustin, Pickles, and Take it from the Tinkersons. Can't let Dustin get into another paper! Voting continues until Friday.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Thank you. If this was the pooch cafe strip every day, I would read it every day. Because I am easily amused.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Skittles Goddess posted:

The Toronto Star is doing an online poll to choose a replacement for Doonesbury since it's going into reruns for an indefinite hiatus. The three choices are Dustin, Pickles, and Take it from the Tinkersons. Can't let Dustin get into another paper! Voting continues until Friday.

I checked out the Tinkersons. Vote Pickles.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

EasyEW posted:

Seriously, the current Prince Valiant team looks like they're really in love with the idea that they get to do Prince Valiant every week. It's the same feeling I got from the Gravelines Prison arc in the Phantom.

They are good, though I did like the Cullen Murphy run. The father took over the art from Hal Foster and the son, who wrote the scripts, has a degree in medieval history from Amhurst.

Borden
Jul 23, 2008

Midnight Moth posted:

Slylock Fox

The cab driver is on the right side of the car and Slylock takes place in America by default so this guy is clearly a phony. Also there's like a cop stationed right across the street so he should be able to testify.

Cab drivers communicate to each other by radio. So he can obviously hear. Alternately Slylock fires his gun right next to the drivers head, and the driver recoils from the sound indicating he's lying.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Leaving this big so that you all have to see it. Also the hair actually looks like that on GoComics, I didn't just do a lovely job with an edit or anything.

Arlo and Janis

Wee Pals

Andertoons

Four Eyes

Lost Side of Suburbia

I'm not sure I like where this is going.

Zachary Nixon Johnson

And I know I don't like where this is going.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Poncho absolutely has to be a boston terrier.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=op7zPJ43Ok0
That is the very essence of Poncho.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

Borden posted:

Cab drivers communicate to each other by radio. So he can obviously hear. Alternately Slylock fires his gun right next to the drivers head, and the driver recoils from the sound indicating he's lying.

She told him her destination.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 18 minutes!
Comics (February 13th 2007)

After some basic testing I have determined that the reason some of these comics have bad picture quality is because whoever originally uploaded them was drunk. They do clear up eventually- I could skip over the worse days or just change to a new comic altogether. All the same to me really.

La Cucaracha

Doonesbury

The Duplex

F-Minus

Non Sequitur

---

Eyebeam

What a bitch. Or is it son of a bitch now? Why do we even use that expression anyway? Wouldn't cur be a lot more to the point?

It's All Right Chief Dharma

Today's comic guest written by Jim Davis. Or whoever's actually writing Garfield these days.

edit: this was a bad day to not proofread

Some Guy TT fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Mar 3, 2014

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I'd say skip over the bad ones, those are really unreadable.

Also drop La Cucaracha, that's unreadable no matter what.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Drop everything except Chief Dharma. Maybe Eyebeam.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Drop The Duplex because gently caress Glenn McCoy.

But never stop posting Chief Dharma, I love it.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Kammat posted:

Now we're just getting weird.

Modestly is going to have to kill so many people to get over having to wear that.

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
Gil

Run away and hide like a coward since I lack the required military-grade plasma rifles.

Retail

Five minutes. With any luck she'll forget all about it by then or some other poor sap will be on the receiving end of her ire.

Bleeker the Rechargeable Dog

If you like Lila so much why don't you run away and be her servile robotic appliance?

Dustin

Why would Simone know anything about Dustin's love life? Are we sure she's not Ed in disguise?

On the Fastrack

"Pretty risky HR move. Half our workforce are former government contractors."

Safe Havens

How could you not see this coming? You stand out like a green goose wearing a pink headband.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004
We Geech now.

I don't think the colorist was paying attention that day.

Aardmania posted:

Piranha Club

Sherman tanks are poo poo. Their only value is that they could be cranked out fast and cheap. They're the Zerg rush of armor.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Yeah, you just HAD to become a goose to chase them. Makes perfect sense. A perfectly normal and logical response.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
Despite the bad quality, I'm really enjoying old Doonesbury. I don't want to advocate you drop any of them, since I read most of them at points, but I would like to keep seeing Doonesbury.

don Jaime posted:

Sherman tanks are poo poo. Their only value is that they could be cranked out fast and cheap. They're the Zerg rush of armor.

To elaborate--Sherman tanks had three inches of armor plating, or 76.2 millimeters, at the most. That's not a lot--the German Panzer IV, which predated the war by three years, had 88 mm, and most of the German antitank weaponry could penetrate much thicker armor. They were also undergunned for much of the war, being armed with a 75 mm gun that couldn't penetrate the front armor of most German late-war tanks such as the Panther and the Tiger.

The Sherman had some advantages, though. It was--as mentioned--cheap to make and fast to build, so the Americans could field about five Shermans to every one German tank. Only around 9000 Panzer IVs were ever made--over forty-nine thousand Shermans were. Additionally, the Sherman was fast for its size, so it could get around the enemy's flanks with relative ease and strike at the side and rear armor of its heavier opponents provided it didn't get knocked the gently caress out first.

In the Pacific Theater, it's not even a question--the Sherman outgunned nearly everything that the Japanese could throw at it. So overall, it was absolutely underdesigned for the role it had to fill, but numbers and speed (and field-modification upgunning) allowed the Sherman to rule the day. "Zerg Rush" is definitely apt.

Redeye Flight fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Mar 3, 2014

• Locked thread