Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

Baratza updates their refurb site every Thursday.

e: Has anyone tried that goon roasting company/duo in SA-Mart? I don't really follow this thread closely anymore but I don't recognize the OP's name here.

e2: Also has anyone ever used the Esatto add-on? It sounds amazing if I'm reading it right. Being able to just dump all my beans into the hopper and then set it to grind 16.5 g and just turning it on without having to measure it, if I understand it right. MSRP is steep but I've seen it pop up on their refurb section a few times. Couple it with that Bonavita temperature control kettle and making coffee is stupidly even easier.

I've bought coffee from them, and I've directed friends to them. So far, I've neither heard nor spoken a disappointed word.

I considered the Esatto a month or two ago when it popped up on the refurb page one day, but it occurs to me I'd need to keep the beans in my grinder's hopper, and I'm just not willing to do that. Perhaps I'm missing something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

script kitty
Jan 2, 2005

GOTTA GO CATTES

Boris Galerkin posted:

e: Has anyone tried that goon roasting company/duo in SA-Mart? I don't really follow this thread closely anymore but I don't recognize the OP's name here.

I've ordered from them several times. My experiences so far have been great. Haven't been disappointed in any of the coffee and their customer service is spectacular. I recommend it!

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Nevermind, kettle ordered!

So what should I get if I want a new brewing toy? The v60 or kalita?

drat I want the kalita but it looks like the bleached filters are sold out everywhere :(

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Feb 28, 2014

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Google Butt posted:

drat I want the kalita but it looks like the bleached filters are sold out everywhere :(

I'm happy with my ceramic V60. Cleans super easy and holds heat nicely during the brewing process. The bonavita electric gooseneck and V60 have become my go to as of late.

mr. yolk
Aug 4, 2007

"We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

Google Butt posted:

I believe it comes with a pack of 100 filters. I'm probably wrong and will get 2 Waves with 0 filters.

But drat they're expensive, like $10 for a pack of 100...

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

Any issue with using Filtropa's in the v60?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's not ideal but you can fold it into a cone shape. Just buy the Hario filters for $5. You get like a 3 month supply.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

It's not ideal but you can fold it into a cone shape. Just buy the Hario filters for $5. You get like a 3 month supply.

I might just do that then, I don't see that it says the Kalita comes with filters anywhere.

mr. yolk
Aug 4, 2007

Gonna be very sad if I don't get filters. Guess I gotta keep a tab open for multiple sites now... :(

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

I have an ongoing dialogue with Prima Coffee over their Kalita stock. This morning's word was that their shipment cleared customs on Monday and they are expecting it in the next week or so - at which point the Wave dripper and filters that I ordered in January (!!!) might finally be on their way to me. Point is, they will have filters too, so you should be able to order through them.

Or, you could view this as the illuminating exercise that it is and stick with Bee House or something else that doesn't require the hardest filters to get in the entire loving world.

(I'm too stupid to do that, so I'm still eagerly awaiting the arrival of my Wave dripper.)

Google Butt posted:

I might just do that then, I don't see that it says the Kalita comes with filters anywhere.

The Hario filters are very thin, and I've never tasted paper from them. I think you'll be fine.

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world

becoming posted:

I have an ongoing dialogue with Prima Coffee over their Kalita stock. This morning's word was that their shipment cleared customs on Monday and they are expecting it in the next week or so - at which point the Wave dripper and filters that I ordered in January (!!!) might finally be on their way to me. Point is, they will have filters too, so you should be able to order through them.

Or, you could view this as the illuminating exercise that it is and stick with Bee House or something else that doesn't require the hardest filters to get in the entire loving world.

(I'm too stupid to do that, so I'm still eagerly awaiting the arrival of my Wave dripper.)

The Hario filters are very thin, and I've never tasted paper from them. I think you'll be fine.

I really found it surprising how hard it was to get Kalita stuff here... In Korea I can find everything (a few $ cheaper) through the equivalent of ebay, with a ton of sellers.

Is it because Kalita does not have a official US presence like Hario does? Everything is out of stock for months at a time :/

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Kettle and v60 ordered. Looking forward to mixing it up a bit, as I only use a ccd and occasionally my gaggia classic.

Any tips?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Pour slowly and have fun.

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

Google Butt posted:

Kettle and v60 ordered. Looking forward to mixing it up a bit, as I only use a ccd and occasionally my gaggia classic.

Any tips?

Try setting your temp for ~82C or so and brewing in the V60, then doing the same brew with ~100C water.

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:
Oh man I just bought me that Bonavita kettle and a Chemex. Hell yes.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
First roast was this morning! I definitely need more practice runs before trying out a full batch, but it came out somewhere around a french roast level, and the small handful I grinder to sample a quick cup were pretty darn good for a first-timer. I'd prefer a lighter roast next time (and less smoke) so I'll take a bit off the length for next time.

Is it easy to find storage bags with one-way seals? I've got this morning's roast in a tupperware container with one corner cracked open, will that be OK to store in for the time being?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

GobiasIndustries posted:

First roast was this morning! I definitely need more practice runs before trying out a full batch, but it came out somewhere around a french roast level, and the small handful I grinder to sample a quick cup were pretty darn good for a first-timer. I'd prefer a lighter roast next time (and less smoke) so I'll take a bit off the length for next time.

Is it easy to find storage bags with one-way seals? I've got this morning's roast in a tupperware container with one corner cracked open, will that be OK to store in for the time being?

Order the $5 tin or valve bags from Sweet Maria's, there nice and cheap.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

becoming posted:

Wagner HT1000, $22 on Amazon. Or you can buy it locally at Home Depot for the same price, plus tax. You'll also want a wooden spoon. Walmart sells a four-pack for 88˘. I bought a dog bowl there as well, for about $4, and a colander for $3. I used a box to make a rapid cooling device, much like others have done. I broke the handles off the colander and used packing tape to seal the rest of the box, then cut a perfectly-sized hole to insert the hose from my shop vac. All air moving into the vacuum has to go through the beans in the colander. You'll also want a heavy leather glove to move the bowl (which will be suuuuuuuper hot), but presumably you've already got one of those. If not, they're a few bucks a pair at Walmart or Home Depot. That's pretty much all you need.

Roasting
    - Wagner HT1000 heat gun
    - Stainless steel dog bowl
    - Wooden spoon
    - Thick leather glove

Cooling
    - Cardboard box
    - Stainless steel colander (or aluminum, but it can't be plastic - hot beans will melt it)
    - Shop vac

Awesome, thanks a lot for this. I have a 10% Home Depot coupon that they just sent in the mail for whatever reason so I guess I'll go there sometime and pick up a pair of gloves as well. Anything I should look for for gloves? I'm guessing just grab something designed for "welding" or other high temperature use right?

Do I need a rapid cooling box? I guess the faster I cool the beans the faster it'll stop roasting. Does a regular vacuum cleaner work in place of the shop vac? I'm not going to buy one just for coffee roasting.

Also, should I get a colander specifically for roasting? As in is this going to gently caress up my current one in the kitchen?

dedian
Sep 2, 2011
If it does get coffee oils on it, you can wash it just like any other coffee appliance, you're not going to have the beans in it that long. The dog bowl will eventually brown a bit (at least mine has), but that could probably be cleaned as well if you have a SS bowl already. Throwing the roasted beans on a cold sheet pan works OK - easier when it's colder out.

I don't know about the glove part, I've never needed to use one - I use a regular wooden spoon and just hold it near the end. If you already have a pair of regular leather work gloves that'd be fine. The only time I've dealt with too high heat is accidentally touching the bottom of the dog bowl - an oven mitt might work OK for that just don't spill the beans! :D

dedian fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Mar 1, 2014

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...

Google Butt posted:

Order the $5 tin or valve bags from Sweet Maria's, there nice and cheap.

Yep. The tins are awesome.

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:
When I roasted I had an oven mitt to hold the spoon. Just get one that has individual fingers, as using the sock-puppet one means you're holding the spoon in an uncomfortable position.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Another thing to think about is bowl size (I used a 64oz flat bottom for 1/2lb batches) and how you will keep the bowl from sliding around as you agitate. I just put a towel under mine.

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

Awesome, thanks a lot for this. I have a 10% Home Depot coupon that they just sent in the mail for whatever reason so I guess I'll go there sometime and pick up a pair of gloves as well. Anything I should look for for gloves? I'm guessing just grab something designed for "welding" or other high temperature use right?

Do I need a rapid cooling box? I guess the faster I cool the beans the faster it'll stop roasting. Does a regular vacuum cleaner work in place of the shop vac? I'm not going to buy one just for coffee roasting.

Also, should I get a colander specifically for roasting? As in is this going to gently caress up my current one in the kitchen?

- Any moderately thick leather glove will be fine. The bowl will be hot enough that you don't want to touch it with bare hands. A leather gardening/yard-work glove is what I use, and it's fine.

- You could use a regular vacuum cleaner, yeah, as long as you can pull the hose out and stick it in a hole in the box. As far as needing a rapid cooling box, I haven't roasted without one so I couldn't tell you whether or not you really need one. What I can tell you is that mine cools my beans very fast and cost me a spare cardboard box from an Amazon shipment, a $3 colander from Walmart, and about 10˘ of packing tape. I have space for it, so it's worth it to me. If you are in an apartment, that may change things. You really don't need a very large box - if the colander will fit inside it, it is plenty big.

- Not if yours in metal already. Our is plastic so I splurged on the metal one. That, and I wanted to not worry about bringing it back upstairs and cleaning it, or it being dirty when I wanted to roast.

dedian posted:

I don't know about the glove part, I've never needed to use one - I use a regular wooden spoon and just hold it near the end. If you already have a pair of regular leather work gloves that'd be fine. The only time I've dealt with too high heat is accidentally touching the bottom of the dog bowl - an oven mitt might work OK for that just don't spill the beans! :D

The glove is for moving the hot bowl to dump its contents into the cooling contraption. In the 88˘ Walmart wooden spoons pack, one of them is really long, so I doubt anyone would need the glove for actually stirring.

Bean Head
Feb 22, 2014
I've been using French press for years now having not got on very well drip machines (the inconsistent heating pissed me off). I've decided to join the sperg lords and have a Hario V60 on order now and will check back in when I've had a go.

beanbrew
Jan 3, 2011

the way is not in the sky

the way is in the heart
V60s are cool. I make like thirty cups with them a day and drink one of them

because I'm a barista

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Is there a noticeable taste difference between the V60 and Kalita Wave? I would imagine the difference would just come from the filters…

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Not much. You grind a little finer for the V60 but at the end of the day it's just the filters. Coffee shops love the V60 because it's fast.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(

Boris Galerkin posted:

Is there a noticeable taste difference between the V60 and Kalita Wave? I would imagine the difference would just come from the filters…

Yes, but I don't think either done well tastes objectively better than the other. The filters, bed geometry (flat-bottom vs cone), resistance that the holes provide (water flows through faster in the V60 than the Kalita), and grind (finer for V60 than Kalita), all make a difference. Both make great coffee, but the Kalita is easier to use. More expensive, though :(.

beanbrew
Jan 3, 2011

the way is not in the sky

the way is in the heart
I got the day off so today's a good day to do my coffee walk around DC. Already hit up La Colombe and Blind Dog, next up: The Coffee Bar! :toot:

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

as if we all didn't hate Keurig enough: http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20140227/06521826371/keurig-will-use-drm-new-coffee-maker-to-lock-out-refill-market.shtml

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

someone in this thread needs to office space a keurig

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It is good to see that the commentors are on top of the "this coffee = printer ink" jokes.

mr. yolk
Aug 4, 2007

If anyone needs Kalita Wave filters, SCG has 'em in stock. I bought 3 packs. JUST IN CASE.

Gotta say though, $8 shipping for USPS Priority hurts when I'm buying loving PAPER. PAPER FILTERS. I'm sure I could have bought something else to go along with them, but I've already spent $400 on coffee stuff in the past week so I figured just deal with it. $40 for 300 filters though. Seriously... ouch.

mr. yolk fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Mar 4, 2014

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

I have to admit, I never expected to see DRM protected coffee within my lifetime. :stare:

I felt kind of guilty about subtly hooking a friend of mine on better and better coffee until she couldn't use her Keurig anymore without vomiting, but for some reason that guilt is gone now. Can't imagine why.

mr. yolk posted:

Gotta say though, $8 shipping for USPS Priority hurts when I'm buying loving PAPER. PAPER FILTERS. I'm sure I could have bought something else to go along with them, but I've already spent $400 on coffee stuff in the past week so I figured just deal with it. $40 for 300 filters though. Seriously... ouch.

Shipping loving kills me with coffee stuff. I love Intelligentsia to death, I really do, but there's none close enough to pop in and when I order beans from them, half the time shipping costs almost double the cost of the order, despite them apparently having a warehouse just a few hours down state from me. :argh:

mr. yolk
Aug 4, 2007

On the plus side, I will have my filters BEFORE the Kalitas even arrive. USPS Priority >>> UPS Ground. I hate UPS with a passion. Overpriced and slow. But it was cheaper for the big order, so I felt compelled to go with it. I have so many packages arriving on Weds/Thurs, my front desk is going to think I'm rich or something.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Ordering paper filters online sounds insane. You can just use a $5 Melitta cone and it will taste exactly the same. They use the same paper filters that every coffee machine uses.

chizad
Jul 9, 2001

'Cus we find ourselves in the same old mess
Singin' drunken lullabies

Boris Galerkin posted:

I see a few other people have chimed in, but yeah, I've ordered from them a couple times. I'm just getting into better coffee, learning the differences between the different production regions and roast profiles and whatnot, so I'm certainly no coffee aficionado. But I've tried their Ethiopia Yirgacheffe Konga, Guatemalan Antigua Cafe Pulcal, Brazil Mogiana Decaf, and Java Pitaloka Decaf and I really enjoyed them all.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Mu Zeta posted:

Ordering paper filters online sounds insane. You can just use a $5 Melitta cone and it will taste exactly the same. They use the same paper filters that every coffee machine uses.

Oh that's where you draw the line at insane ;)

mr. yolk
Aug 4, 2007

Good news: My Virtuoso is scheduled for an early delivery tomorrow!!!
Bad news: I decided to go hunting around SCG for things I'd want to make better espresso, like a non-pressurized portafilter, a tamper, tamping mat, frothing jug, shotglasses, knockbox, and a spoon... I racked up $150. Gonna try out the Saeco Poemia without any of it and see how it turns out. If I decide I like the espresso the Poemia makes with the pressurized portafilter, then I'm probably gonna spring for the non-pressurized one.

drat you. drat you all. Why did I have to go poking around SA and find this thread 3 years later? WHYYYYYYYY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Hello coffee goons! I'm upgrading my coffee get-up one piece at a time, and it's time for a new brewer. I've been using an electric percolator for years, but seeing as how it's not even in the OP, I'm thinking I should try something else out. Right now, I'm leaning towards a french press, solely because I'd rather not be buying filters on a regular basis, and don't mind a lil sludge. I gotta admit, I'm really interested in picking up a Chemex, though.

Are all (most) french presses created equal? If I can get away with the $20 Target special, I'd love that.

I'm also open to suggestions for a good online source for roasted Mexico/Chiapas/Guatemala beans, the nuttier the better! I've been ordering from http://www.coffeeam.com for a while now, but the last bag I ordered was roasted super lovely, and I'd like to try someplace else out.

enojy fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Mar 4, 2014