Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

Top 8'ed with possibility storm combo. R/G monsters only weakness!

Gahahahahahahaha!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Game day report! Went 3-1, going into a swiss finals for top 4 in third place. Went undefeated in swiss to win a playmat and a box. :buddy:

Played Bant Control. http://deckstats.net/decks/7504/67882-crashin-bant

Round 1: U/W Control
G1: There was a bit of back and forth on counterspells, neither of us letting the other land a planeswalker. Or if one did land, it was immediately Detention Sphere'd. Entire game lasted about 20'ish minutes.

G2: Sideboarded in Mistcutter, Skylasher, Dissolve, Swan Song. Sideboarded out Kiora, Verdicts, Detention Spheres and Quickens. Game lasted all of 5 minutes as I flash summoned in Skylashers turns 2 and 3, her verdicted and I summoned Mistercutters turns 4 and 5.

G3: Much of the same as game 2. Lasted a little longer for me to counter D. Sphere on my Jace.

Round 2: G/R Aggro
G1: My opponent mulled down to 5 and was getting worried by then. He kept it and curved out perfectly into double Legion Loyalist and Xenagos Fanatic. I died with two verdicts in hand and only one tappable white source on the field, my land draw for that turn being a Temple of Enlightenment. :negative:

G2: Sideboarded in Aetherize over 2 Dissolves. I mulled to 6 because I had no verdict, D. sphere, Azorius or Selesyna Charm in hand. My six hander had a verdict and Azorius charm. He started out with a Legion Loyalist which pinged me for three turns. Turn four he blood rushed and I bounced it with Azorius. He then played a Xenagos Walker next turn and it went down hill from there when I didn't draw a D. Sphere. I held him off briefly with Kiora, but 2/2 haste tokens ate me and her. Only loss of the day.

Round 3: Rakdos Control
G1: My opponent did Torment'd Hero into Madcap Skills into double Cackler. I held him off briefly but didn't last long after one verdict and he played Exava.

G2: Boarded in 2 Aetherize, 3 Swan Song. Took out 2 Dissolve and 1 Syncopate. His turn 1 through 3 were much the same as last game, but I Azorius'd his Hero turn 3 and D' Sphere'd his 2 Rakdos Cackler's turn 3. Aetherize'd Exava. He then played a Mogis against me after a cackler. I ate 4 points of damage before playing Kiora and +1'ing on him to prevent the damage. Suck it, Slaughter Causer. I ultimated Kiora after counter'ing two lightning strikes.

G3: I ate Cacklers to the face before Athering them and Exava. Quicken into Verdict turn 6 and got an Elsepth out. He got a Mogis out and I sac'd tokens until I got a Kiora to prevent the damage a turn later.

Round 4: Mono B Devotion
G1: His turn 1, thoughtseize. Took my Verdict. I draw a new verdict and scry away a Kiora. Turn 2, he plays another land and thoughtseizes me twice. Takes my new verdict and Sphinx's Revelation. I draw into a D. Sphere and scry away some land. He plays a pack rat and chumps a land card at the end of my turn for another one. I d. Sphere his rats away after eating damage. He plays another one. I cast a Selesnya Charm for a 2/2 knight and block. Both die when he activates mutavault. He plays a demon and I dissolve. I then Selesyna charm another demon later. Then about 3 or 4 minutes of us playing lands and passing turn as he eats away his own life via 1 Underworld, and then 2. I D. Spehre them away when he starts Gray Merchant'ing for 2, since he's so low on life. I eventually cast an Elsepth and a Kiora. He Downfalls Kiora but I protect Elseph with Syncopates. Game lasted a long rear end time but I eventually ult'd Elspeth.

G2: Sideboarded in 2 Dissolve and 3 Swan Song. I took out 2 Quicken, 2 Azorius Charm and 1 Syncopate. He duresses turn 1 and takes my Kiora. He Thoughtseizes turn 2 and I counter with a Swan Song. gently caress you, this is my Kiora and D. Sphere. Game ends quickly when I resolve a Kiora, protect it with Swan Song, Dissolve and remove his Desecration Demons with Verdicts and Selesnya Charms. Ultimate'd Kiora and crushed him under Krakens. :black101:

Cuts to top 4, I place 3rd.

Round 5: G/R Aggro

Same dude that I lost too before in round 2. :negative:

G1: I block almost all his creatures with Selesnya Tokens. One his Legion Loyalist gets bloodrushed with Goreclan Ramapager and trades with my Advent of the Wurm token. (He was attacking with two creatures, so my tokens could block). I manage to stablized and Rev. for 8. I resolve an Advent of the Wurm and can finally start swinging in, tramping over smaller creatures.

G2: I sideboard out 2 Dissolves, 3 Syncopates and put in 3 Swan Songs and 2 Aetherize. Our first round, he had Skull Cracked one of my Sphinx's Revs. He had also used Armed//Dangerous and Flesh//Blood before, so I wanted to counter that poo poo. I die quickly to a perfectly curved hand of double Legion Loyalist, Fantatic of Xenagos and Xenagos Planeswalker. :negative:

G3: He started out strong as hell with double loyalist, again. He bloodrushed and I bounced it with Azorius charm. I stabalized with Atherize into Verdict. He plays a Stormbreath and swings once. I play a Kiora right after and neuter it for the entire game. I end up playing out an Advent and Selesnya charm to block his dudes, keeping Kiora safe. I rev'd for 7, leaving one Island untapped. He skull cracks and I swan song it. He scoops.

FINAL ROUND
G1: Playing against the U/W control player I played against in round 1. He unfortunately (for him) get screwed and mulligans down to 5. He's stuck at 4 lands for a long time and I was free to do what I wanted, even D. Sphere'ing his Elixir of Immortality. I ultimate Kiora and crush him under krakens.

G2: I sideboard in exactly as before. I cast two Selesnya Charms early, hoping to force a verdict since I have two Mistcutters in hand, along with Swan Song and Dissolve. I get really greey on turn 5 and counter a Glare of Heresey and Cyclonic rift, protecting both tokens. He then casts an Elspeth. A total greedy misplay on my part. My Mistcutters are rendered useless against a token onslaught. I die a couple of turns later since I don't have D. Spheres in the deck.

G3: After lengthy deliberation with myself, I mull to 6. My opening hand was 6 lands, 3 of them scry, and a Selesnya Charm. I didn't want to get hosed by my deck flooding me with lands. I keep a much better hand at 6 and start off with Skylasher at the end of his turn 2. He verdicts turn 4 to clear away my Lasher and Knight token. I mist cutter for 3, leaving mana open to Swan Song. He does nothing for his turn. I mistcutter again for everything I have and swing. His turn he plays Whelming Wave(!?). Then he plays an Elixir and pops it at the end of my next turn. I mistcutter for 3 again, twice. Swing for his face. He pops his elixir to live. He plays Jace, -2 and gets Verdict, Verdict, D.Sphere gently caress me. He verdicts that same turn. I resolve an Advent at the end of his turn. He bounces. I resolve another at the end of his turn. He Gainsay's and I Swan Song. At this point, he's at 2 life. Blocks my 5/5 Trample with a 2/2 and I win.

Never been so happy to get a playmat. :buddy:

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Revitalized posted:

Cracked a foil Pain Seer. Got all excited, then found out that they're kind of worthless. :(

I hope someone breaks this for Standard and it's value goes up. It ain't no Bob but it's something :(

It's really really good in any aggro deck that uses Black. I tested my mono-black aggro deck with someone at my LGS who runs GR beats and Pain Seer can deliver, he's great if you bestow a Herald of Torment on him or a Gift of Orzhova. He's cool with WB because Frontline Medic and Gift, in Rakdos Aggro he has some Madcap Skills yo.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
I don't want to believe in an universal deity but there may have just been proof found. Cedric Phillips somehow got hurt really bad last night and couldn't do coverage today at the SCG Open in Atlanta. As some of you know Cedric was a huge legacy goblins fan. Right now there's a guy in the quarterfinals playing Legacy Goblins. :catholic:

Tom Ross into the semi-finals with Infect, knocking BBD out playing UWR brew. Game one was a fast 2 turn kill. Game 2 went to I think turn 4, Humility came down but because of layers Ross' inkmoth nexus still had infect.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Game Day stuff

Went 1-2 with UWR Control finishing 6th out of 8.

Round 1: Orzhov Midrange 0-2
Game 1: Had a decent start and stuck an Assemble the Legion. Completely screwed myself by picking the wrong target for Detention Sphere.
Game 2: After Thoughtseize, Duress, Sin Collector I drew only land and died

Round 2: Boros Burn 2-0
Game 1: Went down to 6 at the lowest and stabilized with Warleader's Helix then slammed a turn 6 Elspeth that I rode to win. Opponent was stuck without white with three Warleader's Helix and a Boros Charm in hand.
Game 2: Easily stabilized due to a dubious one land keep by my opponent. Turn 4 Jace went into turn 5 Assemble the Legion. Turn 6 I used Revelation for 2 due to an Aurelia's Fury. Downticked Jace on turn 7 to pull out Blind Obedience which was played along with an Azorious Charm to gain life off of soldiers. Downticked Jace to pull out some answers then played another Jace that revealed Elspeth, prompting my opponent to concede.

This is the only match that I remember my sideboarding. 2 Negates, 1 Izzet Charm, and Blind Obedience went in, Counterflux, 2 Turn//burn, and an Azorius Charm came out. I was prioritizing efficient counterspells for his burns since he had very few creatures in his 75 (4 firedancer satyr, 4 Chandra's Phoenix, 3 Rakdos Cackler, 1 Spark Trooper). I was fairly familiar with his sideboarding and knew he doesn't use the cacklers. I figured he would still have the phoenixes and probably the spark trooper as his creatures. That said I probably should have replaced a verdict with anger and kept in my instant speed spot removal. Detention sphere and verdict counts (really just verdict) probably could have been cut given my expectations.

Round 3: Rakdos Aggro
Game 1: My opponent was on the play and turn 4 verdict wasn't enough. Turn 5 Jace bought me some time, but I didn't draw any more removal.
Game 2: I drew nothing but land and died. Got into topdeck mode very early due to having to mulligan on the play and getting a turn 1 thoughtseize.

kirtar fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Mar 3, 2014

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Sleep of Bronze posted:

Deschamps' art is sweet: take that back. Look at that detail on the tridents and his skin, and the use of colour.

Oh, I have no problems to regular Kiora's follower. I was more referring to poo poo like Gild and Every Single Magic Card Drawn by Raymond Swanland. IE an amorphous blob of spikes

quote:

I don't want to believe in an universal deity but there may have just been proof found. Cedric Phillips somehow got hurt really bad last night and couldn't do coverage today at the SCG Open in Atlanta. As some of you know Cedric was a huge legacy goblins fan. Right now there's a guy in the quarterfinals playing Legacy Goblins.

Oh poo poo, what happened? Why does the best commentator have to get hurt. Why couldn't this happen to the GP coverage team :smith:

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Mar 3, 2014

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

A big flaming stink posted:

Oh, I have no problems to regular Kiora's follower. I was more referring to poo poo like Gild and Every Single Magic Card Drawn by Raymond Swanland. IE an amorphous blob of spikes

Oh poo poo, what happened? Why does the best commentator have to get hurt. Why couldn't this happen to the GP coverage team :smith:

Swanland has gotten a lot better about spikes. He even has an art in Born of the Gods that's spike-free.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

A big flaming stink posted:

Raymond Swanland's been weening himself off of the spikes lately and it's been getting a lot better. Rescue from the Underworld has some of my favorite art in Theros.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Sleep of Bronze posted:

Deschamps' art is sweet: take that back. Look at that detail on the tridents and his skin, and the use of colour.

It bothers the hell out of me that WotC doesn't make high-quality versions of art readily available. I get they like to leak out wallpapers, but even something like 800x600 would be awesome for more intricate cards.

Alternatively, if I'm wrong, it bothers me that WotC doesn't make it more obvious where to get high-quality versions of art. :v:

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way
Stranglehold buyout in progress, quick BUY BUY BUY!

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

BXCX posted:

What happened this time to make the price rise.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

A lot of artists have the big versions up on their website as well.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

BXCX posted:

Oh for gently caress sake, really?

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

BXCX posted:

Holy poo poo, I have one of these sitting in a box somewhere. Had no idea it was worth anything.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

BXCX posted:

There can't be enough demand for this to sustain this price so if you have some sell them now and don't buy into this hype.

oryx
Nov 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

ScarletBrother posted:

Holy poo poo, I have one of these sitting in a box somewhere. Had no idea it was worth anything.

Don't sell yourself short, it was worth $5 yesterday.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
A 4-mana enchantment that's only legal in Legacy, Vintage, and Commander, and it doesn't win you the game outright.

Yup, that's a card that's gonna see some big bux.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Honestly just because somebody has a One Of a card in their sideboard does not automatically mean it has to spike in price for absolutely no reason.

Speculators really making me not want to play non-Standard formats. :sigh:

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Speculators can't really establish prices long term. If they could Nivmagus Elemental wouldn't be less than a quarter. All they can do is move early and try to capitalize on prices actually supported by demand.

They shouldn't bother you, temporary price spikes only hurt other speculators who buy into hype late, if the thing that worries you is just how much you're going to pay for your singles then you shouldn't care because its not going to affect you.

Something like Snapcaster Mage was going to go up in price regardless of people buying copies just to flip for a profit, because the demand is real.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Why doesn't Wizards just start allowing like 4-8 proxies in legacy/modern?

Everyone gets to play, cards don't have to get reprinted. Of course everyone would proxy goyf, so it would drop like a brick overnight, but it's a small price to pay to not have to face budget modern decks for the next year

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Mortimer posted:

Why doesn't Wizards just start allowing like 4-8 proxies in legacy/modern?

Everyone gets to play, cards don't have to get reprinted. Of course everyone would proxy goyf, so it would drop like a brick overnight, but it's a small price to pay to not have to face budget modern decks for the next year

Because even then 8 proxies is at most $800 out of a $2000 deck and everyone will still whine that they can't have 12 proxies.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
But isn't that a problem Wizards is responsible for themselves? If they won't allow proxies, and they won't do reprints, and they want people playing Legacy or whatever, something's got to give.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

BXCX posted:

I play Enchantress and I wouldn't play this in Enchantress.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

I too wonder why a company who operates a massive organized play network as a means to motivate participants into constantly purchasing more of their product, won't allow people to participate with printed out free copies of their intellectual property.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Stinky Pit posted:

I too wonder why a company who operates a massive organized play network as a means to motivate participants into constantly purchasing more of their product, won't allow people to participate with printed out free copies of their intellectual property.

I also wonder why the only way to obtain their intellectual property is from second-hand dealers so that they don't get any money from it. Either way, they don't get any money.

I also wonder why the most expensive intellectual property is the place your neat-rear end wizard dude sits his poo poo instead of the neat-rear end wizard spells.

I am unreasonably angry at land prices.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Stinky Pit posted:

Because when you tell someone a deck they want costs 1300, 800 in land alone, they don't want to pay. But if it's only 500 after land they might actually start saving up and buying cards.

Even though Wizards doesn't owe the secondary market dick for them gouging prices so hard, keeping a ton of players out of their sanctioned events.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I also wonder why the only way to obtain their intellectual property is from second-hand dealers so that they don't get any money from it. Either way, they don't get any money.

Wizards isn't interested in chasing those dollars. They make far more money creating and selling new product to an audience several orders of magnitude larger than the one that participates in the secondary market.

Mortimer posted:

Because when you tell someone a deck they want costs 1300, 800 in land alone, they don't want to pay. But if it's only 500 after land they might actually start saving up and buying cards.

Wizards isn't bothered by a barrier to entry for the constructed formats that aren't rotating because their bread and butter will be standard for the foreseeable future. The day they feel Modern's barrier to entry is a real obstacle to their sales they will address the matter.

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Mar 3, 2014

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
How do you people think cards get into the secondary market in the first place? Packs were bought and opened, and Wizards made their money. They don't care about the secondary market as long as it continues to drive pack sales.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Stinky Pit posted:

Wizards isn't interested in chasing those dollars. They make far more money creating and selling new product to an audience several orders of magnitude larger than the one that participates in the secondary market.

Then why do they so heavily support Modern, a format that can only be played if one participates heavily in the secondary market?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Alris posted:

But isn't that a problem Wizards is responsible for themselves? If they won't allow proxies, and they won't do reprints, and they want people playing Legacy or whatever, something's got to give.

I don't know that Wizards 'wants' people playing Legacy, at least not to the degree that they'd like to grow formats like Modern and Standard that they can still, you know, sell poo poo for. I'm sure they're happy to have some Legacy Grand Prix here and there, but I don't think it's a coincidence that Wizards primarily schedules Modern events (out of the eternal formats, I mean) whereas SCG primarily schedules Legacy. Each body wants to push the thing that they can actually sell cards for.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Then why do they so heavily support Modern, a format that can only be played if one participates heavily in the secondary market?

Because they are a good company who smartly creates products to appeal to many types of customers and creates formats to similarly differentiate the "products" their organized play structure makes available?

Modern is a "product" designed to appeal to a group of players who have different interests and desires. That doesn't mean they plan to allow it to threaten Standard. A barrier to entry keeps Standard the format of Choice for most players and protects their sales.

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Mar 3, 2014

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way
Stranglehold is a great sideboard card in EDH, a format where sideboards are not generally all that accepted. It does have a very high feelbads generation potential to effort ratio though, so I believe that the price can only go up uP UP from here, so buy it from me now to get in on the ground floor! :thejoke:

Mulletstation
May 9, 2004

mo' mullets mo' problems
That card's effect isn't even worth $1.

I want to point out that many Magic 'investors' are people who would do horribly in the actual stock market. There's probably also a venn diagram of magic investors and bitcoin users and it's basically almost 2 overlapping circles.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Stinky Pit posted:

Because they are a good company who smartly creatures products to appeal to many types of customers and creates formats to similarly differentiate the "products" their organized play structure makes available?

And yet despite being able to print new cards and get money from the sales, they seem extremely skittish to do this in anything but the safest tests i.e. Modern Masters having a supply of Not Much, as though a lurch downwards in the secondary market would cause the game to collapse, despite the majority of players not needing these?

I need a loving Ken Burns documentary on Chronicles because nearly two decades later it's apparently still burning them. There's something really confusing going on and it means Savannahs cost $75 despite only being somewhat better than Temple Garden which is played more and also 1/8th the cost.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

There is no mystery, heavy reprints aren't going to sell them more product. The next set is going to sell whether Tarmogoyf is or isn't in it.

If they commit to heavy reprints all they do is alienate a group of their customers, and if they aren't careful they also make a non-rotating format as accessible and appealing to their customers as the rotating format. That's not something they want to happen.

So instead they introduce reprints slowly, over time, like they have been, and avoid lots of problems.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!
Stranglehold should have flash, so you can drop it in response to a library search or new turn.

But red doesn't get flash, so they'd have to add green. And green only gets flash on creatures, so they'd have to give it an efficient body. And if you're making a complex creature like this, they might as well make it legendary.

What I'm saying is I want an RG Stranglehold with flash as my commander. :getin::

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010

BXCX posted:

Stranglehold is a great sideboard card in EDH, a format where sideboards are not generally all that accepted.

Stranglehold is maindeckable unless nobody in your area plays green or black. It shuts down Cultivate. It'd be a buck or two if it were a recent set rare but it's a very limited supply card; there fewer of them in existence than there are Kaalia, and way more decks want to play Stranglehold than want Kaalia. I mean obviously $25 is ludicrous but this card's been climbing slowly for a while and $10-$12 is perfectly reasonable for it to settle at -- compare Chaos Warp, the other red staple of the same availability.

logis
Dec 30, 2004
Slippery Tilde

Zemyla posted:

Stranglehold should have flash, so you can drop it in response to a library search or new turn.

But red doesn't get flash, so they'd have to add green. And green only gets flash on creatures, so they'd have to give it an efficient body. And if you're making a complex creature like this, they might as well make it legendary.

What I'm saying is I want an RG Stranglehold with flash as my commander. :getin::

I read halfway through this (ie green has flash) and thought you were going to say "hence, blue"

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
It just has to be said over and over they make all there money on casual standard and limited. Modern is pushed because they can print all the cards in it. That doesn't mean they'll flood the market and jeopardize their relationships with hobby shops. Organized play is important to market the game. The secondary market sucks right now but there is nothing they can do. It takes a year to get poo poo to shelves. They can't do poo poo about fetches doubling in price from January to now on any time frame that will satisfy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Mulletstation posted:

That card's effect isn't even worth $1.

I want to point out that many Magic 'investors' are people who would do horribly in the actual stock market. There's probably also a venn diagram of magic investors and bitcoin users and it's basically almost 2 overlapping circles.

Hey now, I think MtGox would have been in much better shape if they invested in Underground Seas instead of buttcoins :v:

They would have found a way to lose all the Power held on their site somehow

• Locked thread