Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
I'm pretty sure everyone agrees that the re-tweeting was lovely, even Tom himself, seeing as he deleted them and then even apologized again. How does being a little slow in realizing that make him worse?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
In the end, I guess there's nothing else really to be said on it other than you disagree with us and that's fine I guess unless you ask Tom directly. I suggest you go do that. :shrug:

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013

Rasselas posted:

Because I've jumped at jokes before, only later realizing they weren't meant at all in the way I thought they were. I felt bad for it afterwards. So when someone jokes I don't assume they love Hitler or whatever, it's a joke, jokes are usually irreverent in some way. That's how humans deal with heavy poo poo, among other things.

If you're asking whether I can fathom the levels of persecution that trans people go through? I'm not trans but I grew up in a war and had to flee from being killed just because I was born a certain ethnicity, does that give me enough victimhood status to guess at it? I also had a sexuality-identity crisis in the middle of a warzone, yet I can still recognize when something is a joke unrelated to whatever I might've gone through.

Jokes can be about something else entirely and still be problematic in other ways. And my comment wasn't about 'victimhood' status. It was more about the fact that trans people deal with issues other people don't have to, which means that they look at things with a different perspective than the people who didn't have to deal with those issues. Basically, everybody isn't you. :shrug:

EDIT: Twitter is a public platform. When you have significantly more people paying attention to you than another person on a public platform, it makes sense that you have to start watching what you say more than that other person (Penny Arcade suddenly springs to mind).
I don't think he meant to do anything wrong. He removed the retweets and he gave a sincere apology. I don't think he's a bad person, but he made a mistake and then took steps to make up for it. That's pretty much it.

kurona_bright fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Mar 3, 2014

Rasselas
Oct 26, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT FUCKIN' TRANNIES HARASSING GLORIOUS UNIMPEACHABLE WEBCOMIC ARTIST TOM SIDDELL WITH THEIR FALSE CLAIMS TO VICTIMHOOD, THE CODDLED FUCKS! STIFF UPPER LIP! I'M A TREMENDOUS JACKASS WHO CAN'T FATHOM ANYTHING OUTSIDE MY BUBBLE! TUMBLRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

Mafiosa posted:

e: look, my point is this, as someone who watch this happen in real time: dragging in people to laugh at them was lovely and that was the distinct vibe I got from the tweet reblogs.

I actually kind of agree with this, but if it wasn't done by Siddell but anyone else, that wouldn't have even been remarked on. Suddenly he has no license to act even the little bit immature? Really? When people have been immature at him in the first place? Okay.

And I am glad he apologized, and it seemed sincere. He tried to do his part to resolve the misunderstanding. I just wish the other side would also see that they were jumping at nothing. An irreverent joke, that wasn't meant to be related to trans people at all.

People should just try to get over themselves. That's what I try to do.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Eh, people go defensive when they're accused of being something they don't believe they are. Those tweets were polite...to some extent. Tom probably went "haha these people can't read" and after a bit realized "oh, they actually have a point and I was a bit of a jerk when I shouldn't". Then he apologized and deleted the RTs when he heard people were getting harassed because of them. Not a fantastic situation, but everything's fine now.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
I really miss the derails in this thread about how shipping is a good thing.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Shipping is good and bad. It hurts the environment, but it makes a wide variety of goods available all over the world.

Rasselas
Oct 26, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT FUCKIN' TRANNIES HARASSING GLORIOUS UNIMPEACHABLE WEBCOMIC ARTIST TOM SIDDELL WITH THEIR FALSE CLAIMS TO VICTIMHOOD, THE CODDLED FUCKS! STIFF UPPER LIP! I'M A TREMENDOUS JACKASS WHO CAN'T FATHOM ANYTHING OUTSIDE MY BUBBLE! TUMBLRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

kurona_bright posted:

Jokes can be about something else entirely and still be problematic in other ways. And my comment wasn't about 'victimhood' status. It was more about the fact that trans people deal with issues other people don't have to, which means that they look at things with a different perspective than the people who didn't have to deal with those issues. Basically, everybody isn't you. :shrug:

Actually, I find that the less someone's been through, the more perceived outrage they spew about the smallest things. People who've been through serious poo poo usually don't even react, it takes much more to irritate them.

Here's a joke for you. A family of three comes shopping to a major town, happy that they're finally able to make the trip. Suddenly there's a loud explosion, they're dropping to the ground in tears trying to cover the child. Turns out it was just the cannon blowing at noon, it's a tourist thing.

I read this today and I laughed 'cause the exact same thing happened to me. Except I didn't cry. So you don't have to tell me that everybody isn't me, I get it.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Rasselas posted:

Actually, I find that the less someone's been through, the more perceived outrage they spew about the smallest things. People who've been through serious poo poo usually don't even react, it takes much more to irritate them.

Thank you. Want to tell us more about how post-traumatic reactions dont exist?

Jhordhynne
Jan 12, 2010

Bye, Mort! You're the only one happy about this.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Jhordhynne posted:

Bye, Mort! You're the only one happy about this.

Please don't go, Mort. :smith:

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
He's really going through with it? :ohdear:

Buh-bye, Mort. :sadwave:

Rasselas
Oct 26, 2008

SynthOrange posted:

Thank you. Want to tell us more about how post-traumatic reactions dont exist?

That is a post-traumatic reaction. If it made me lash out at someone who made an innocent joke not meant to be related to my trauma, I would feel I need to apologize. That's all.

Oh god that new page. Will we see Mort passing on? It's cheerful yet sad at the same time. It really gives the Mort character more depth.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
But what about Mort Fun Time. :(

Rasselas
Oct 26, 2008

I was a little annoyed at Mort Fun Time when it first appeared. It seemed silly.

Who's silly now. :(

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
No more Mort?

Dropped. :colbert:

BattleCake
Mar 12, 2012

Dias posted:

Eh, people go defensive when they're accused of being something they don't believe they are. Those tweets were polite...to some extent. Tom probably went "haha these people can't read" and after a bit realized "oh, they actually have a point and I was a bit of a jerk when I shouldn't". Then he apologized and deleted the RTs when he heard people were getting harassed because of them. Not a fantastic situation, but everything's fine now.

I'm glad he realized his mistake and apologized and moved to rectify it but I'm a bit disappointed he didn't realize in the first place that he was basically painting a huge target on their heads. I'm not saying he's not allowed to make mistakes or act immature sometimes or whatever but I kinda expected him to know better. I'm also guessing that the damage is already kind of done, unfortunately those people are still probably getting harassed despite his removing the retweets. Anyways hope this won't be an issue anymore.

As for the update... Mort seems so goddamn happy about the situation. Mort please don't go :smith:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Huge spoiler but I dont care:

Mort was a ghost the whole time.

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

Rasselas posted:

"As someone who hasn't been through the things these people have been through, I think the angrier they get about the things they've been through, the less they've probably been through!"

Like what the hell, are you seriously trying to apply the whole "stone-faced survivor" thing universally to real life? Stop getting all your ideas about reality from television, it's loving childish.

Arthur Crackpot
Sep 4, 2011

Proceed in a str8 line shaped like a perpetually shifting torus knot until you feel a sense of despair transcending all mortal comprehension, then hang a right at the next octopus, she'll be in the first room on the left
I hope we get some info on Mort's motivation for this sudden decision to pass on. Maybe he's just tired of hanging around; as far as I know, we have no idea how long his ghost gig has been going on.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rasselas posted:

Pinstripe Hourglass posted:

Like what the hell, are you seriously trying to apply the whole "stone-faced survivor" thing universally to real life? Stop getting all your ideas about reality from television, it's loving childish.

You're both wrong. Different people come through poo poo different ways. Please take your argument about PTSD out of this thread about a webcomic and into PMs or something.

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

Really mixed feelings about the new direction. on the one hand, the character stuff in Gunnerkrigg is always great, and I love Mort, but there's been so much of that lately, and I had thought we were finally getting towards the confrontation with Jeanne. I loved the Kat and Paz storyline and all the detours that took, but it's really starting to feel like we've been waiting years to climb down to that river.

Tollymain posted:

You're both wrong. Different people come through poo poo different ways. Please take your argument about PTSD out of this thread about a webcomic and into PMs or something.
Don't pull that "truth in the middle" poo poo; I clearly said that my problem was he was saying people universally reacted to trauma in one way. Saying that someone mustn't have been through anything because they don't fulfill some thousand-yard-stare archetype is some dumbass, TV Tropes level poo poo.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Arthur Crackpot posted:

I hope we get some info on Mort's motivation for this sudden decision to pass on. Maybe he's just tired of hanging around; as far as I know, we have no idea how long his ghost gig has been going on.

Well, he has been "given a job" by the ROTD people. So maybe his job is to learn Annie how to pass people into the Ether.

But it's a bait and switch I'm sure. We cannot lose Mort, right?

Kikas fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Mar 3, 2014

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
Mort, it's not even bell nut festival time yet, don't go! :cry:

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Pinstripe Hourglass posted:

"As someone who hasn't been through the things these people have been through, I think the angrier they get about the things they've been through, the less they've probably been through!"

Wow, yeah, clearly he's drawing from TV rather than his own experience and the experiences of his friends and family. You sure showed him!

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

oh my GOD this has become the most irritating thread on the loving internet.

Rei_ fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Mar 3, 2014

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Use this thread to talk about or argue about a dumb webcomic not about how people get or treat or whatever PTSD or mental health issues, it ain't the place.

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
See ya Mort!

Man, how about this comic, huh? I love talking about Gunnerkrigg Court in the Gunnerkrigg Court thread. Not boxbot though.

Should be interesting to find out who Mort was!

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Rei_ posted:

oh my GOD this has become the most irritating thread on the loving internet.

I just scroooooooooooll right past.

I can't help but feel like this chapter is gonna be one I might not enjoy :smith:

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Mort is a ghost and deserves to be able to move on into the afterlife though

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

SynthOrange posted:

Huge spoiler but I dont care:

Mort was a ghost the whole time.
Gunnerkrigg Court is Mort's purgatory. When he passes on the whole thing will blip out of existence.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!
I feel like his last record is probably going to be pretty relevant to Annie and Kat.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
His final record is going to be "Boo!"

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
"... and then I got hit this weird green arrow and now I'm here!"

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
The tomb-like stone in the wall Mort is generally seen near says "Dulce et Decorum" on it - the full quote there is "Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori", which means "sweet and fitting is it to die for your fatherland". That's from Horace, and was meant sincerely at the time, but "Dulce et Decorum Est" is also the title of a poem from World War I which uses it ironically. (Actually, it turns out dying for your fatherland really sucks!) So, I'd expect Mort's story to be related to that.

Jhordhynne
Jan 12, 2010

Mort is actually Surma. Turns out that Annie is really bad at her job.

Mindless
Dec 7, 2001

WANTED: INFO on Mindless. Anything! Everything! Send to
Pillbug
Tom, please tell us you have or are working on a version of the last chapter from Annie and Mort's perspective in high detail, which we will gladly buy.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Mort... fun... time?

:(

Also, I guess I'm pretty slow on the uptake here but Kat is officially an afterlife guide now?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

dyzzy posted:

Mort... fun... time?

:(

Also, I guess I'm pretty slow on the uptake here but Kat is officially an afterlife guide now?

I think it's possibly hinting at her being an afterlife guide for robots or something to that effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
whoever bought me this avatar to replace me Mort Fun Time one was totally right