Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

Austrian mook posted:

Gone Home was amazing, so was the Stanley Parable, what can I play that will be like that? I'm just looking for something easy and casual, with that sort of, you just walk about, gameplay.

E: Nothing to pretentious if possible.

Dear Esther

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Repelex
Jun 25, 2010

ketchum while they're young
Any monster catching type games for the PC? Similar to Pokemon, kind of.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Austrian mook posted:

Gone Home was amazing, so was the Stanley Parable, what can I play that will be like that? I'm just looking for something easy and casual, with that sort of, you just walk about, gameplay.

E: Nothing to pretentious if possible.
Get Kentucky Route Zero, its a fantastic game and really atmospheric. The only flaw is that only 2/5 episodes have been released so far and its been slow going but its definitely worth it and exactly what you're looking for.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Repelex posted:

Any monster catching type games for the PC? Similar to Pokemon, kind of.

Not really other than emulating proper Pokemon/Digimon/Monster Rancher/Shin Megami Tensei games.

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

Does anyone know of other strategy games like Panzer General? Games where you keep the same army for the entire single player campaign, and it gets continuously better through experience and upgrades. The branching campaign is a big plus too.

I know of a few (Crusaders: Thy Kingdome Come, Disciples, Elven Legacy, the rest of the Generals series) but is that all there are?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

EightDeer posted:

Does anyone know of other strategy games like Panzer General? Games where you keep the same army for the entire single player campaign, and it gets continuously better through experience and upgrades. The branching campaign is a big plus too.

I know of a few (Crusaders: Thy Kingdome Come, Disciples, Elven Legacy, the rest of the Generals series) but is that all there are?

The Total War games (Shogun 2 is currently supposed to be the best overall, Rome 2 is still a bit dodgy) play as a cross between RTS and 4X games. Troops and generals can both gain experience in combat, and are boosted by research that both unlocks new unit types as well as boosting existing ones. The battles aren't pre-designed tactical challenges, rather just picking from a pool of maps based on the battle's location in the strategic map and plopping in both armies at opposite sides, but there's usually a lot of interesting options on the maps because the game takes into account things like higher ground and tree cover and weather effects. I'm not sure if they fit exactly what you're looking for but it's worth keeping an eye on Shogun 2 at least since it goes on sale on Steam fairly often.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

EightDeer posted:

It is on a much lower scale and RTS instead of TBS, but this is roughly how Dawn of War 2 and its expansions work. Your controllable units are permanent characters who level up and can find new equipment to kit themselves with.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
What are some good poo poo like Tropico? I love building cities etc.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

The Cheshire Cat posted:

The Total War games (Shogun 2 is currently supposed to be the best overall, Rome 2 is still a bit dodgy) play as a cross between RTS and 4X games.

Speaking of Total War games, is there such a thing as an empire building RTS of any sort that offers something similar to the high population battles Total War provides but without the whole over world abstraction in between battles?

I feel like some 4x space games come close (eg. Stardrive, Sins of a Solar Empire, etc), but they generally feel pretty shallow. And the 4x space games that aren't shallow are old and ugly, and/or have impenetrable UIs.

Have I missed some wonderful, hidden nugget?

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

EightDeer posted:

Battle for Wesnoth lets you transfer a few units between each mission iirc, and the units get better and can be promoted to new dudes. Hex based strategy game, and it's free.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

kedo posted:

Speaking of Total War games, is there such a thing as an empire building RTS of any sort that offers something similar to the high population battles Total War provides but without the whole over world abstraction in between battles?

I feel like some 4x space games come close (eg. Stardrive, Sins of a Solar Empire, etc), but they generally feel pretty shallow. And the 4x space games that aren't shallow are old and ugly, and/or have impenetrable UIs.

Have I missed some wonderful, hidden nugget?

Star Ruler maybe? Goon made, but I can't say the UI is that good. You can build massive fleets or individual massive ships the size of planets. The economy management is tricky, however. Zerg rushing is almost always the best strategy against the AI, but you have to manage the flow of resources from your planets without overconsuming lest your industry grind to a halt accidentally.

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

The Cheshire Cat posted:

The Total War games

Haven't played the series since Medieval II. Unless it's changed radically, it's not quite what I'm looking for. Thanks though.

MrBims posted:

It is on a much lower scale and RTS instead of TBS, but this is roughly how Dawn of War 2 and its expansions work. Your controllable units are permanent characters who level up and can find new equipment to kit themselves with.

I'll mark that down to get next time it's on sale.

willus posted:

Battle for Wesnoth lets you transfer a few units between each mission iirc, and the units get better and can be promoted to new dudes. Hex based strategy game, and it's free.

I remember playing it a few years ago; got turned off because the mechanics of deploying your army at the start of a battle was so incredibly irritating. Did that ever get reworked?

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
I honestly couldn't tell you, I haven't played it in years haha, sorry!

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Wesnoth hasn't changed much in the last 5 years or so.

Malcolm
May 11, 2008

EightDeer posted:

I'll mark that down to get next time it's on sale.

Dawn of War 2 did have a pretty good single player campaign, especially with the expansion. Your army is limited to ~4 (unless I misremember?) different main characters, but you can do missions and essentially farm loot like it's Diablo 2. Get those blue drops and some rare purps, give your gun guy a sword/fist and watch him become melee. Level up your mans with experience and put points into skills/stats.

That said, the game is basically a re-skin of Company of Heroes (a much better game but WW2 themed and older) so if that type of RTS combat is your thing then you will probably enjoy DoW 2. Multiplayer couldn't hold my interest like CoH did, but the campaign is fairly well done and co-op capable as a bonus.

Malcolm fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Mar 1, 2014

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Looking for games on the PC similar to Altitude and Triplane Turmoil, multiplayer doesn't matter.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

So here's the thing, old-school first-person RPGs like this have always attracted me:

But there's a tiiiiny problem: I don't like sword and sorcery settings, like, at all. My favourite setting is urban fantasy, low sci-fi is okay too. So I was wondering if you guys knew about similar games in those settings. I'm already familiar with Shin Megami Tensei games.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Dark Sun: Shattered Lands. Magic hosed the world into Mad Max so no one except the occasional boss has magic. Can be a bit "sword and mind bullets" but what can you do?

er wait I guess it's about the one SSI game that wasn't first person.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Petiso posted:

So here's the thing, old-school first-person RPGs like this have always attracted me:

But there's a tiiiiny problem: I don't like sword and sorcery settings, like, at all. My favourite setting is urban fantasy, low sci-fi is okay too. So I was wondering if you guys knew about similar games in those settings. I'm already familiar with Shin Megami Tensei games.

You might like the Shadowrun Returns games. It's not FPS but it's urban fantasy/cyberpunk stuff. It's similar to early fallout games I suppose but the environment is much different.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Are there any good, really hard RPGs for the 3/DS?

V!ntar
Jul 12, 2010

I'll give you something to die for, baby, let's go insane.

And we can paint the town red, now show me that Crimson Rain.

Anatharon posted:

The Shin Megami Tensei games are pretty good. SMT IV is hard, except if you spend all points into magic, in that case it's really easy

MrXmas
Apr 10, 2006

Let's Get Sweaty

Petiso posted:

Phantasy Star I had first person dungeons and a sci fi fantasy type setting.

Malkar
Aug 19, 2010

Taste the cloud

Austrian mook posted:

What are some good poo poo like Tropico? I love building cities etc.

Tropico 5 is having a closed beta next month, I'd post a link but I'm on my phone.

Frost Uncle
Nov 2, 2012
Are there any games that have a similar feel to a road movie? Like something with a distinct feel of linear travel and Wacky Adventures. I keep thinking of Easy Rider and Apocalypse Now. I've been looking for something like this for a while and have only found posts complaining that games of this sort don't exist so maybe I'm Golfing up the wrong tree.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Frost Uncle posted:

Are there any games that have a similar feel to a road movie? Like something with a distinct feel of linear travel and Wacky Adventures. I keep thinking of Easy Rider and Apocalypse Now. I've been looking for something like this for a while and have only found posts complaining that games of this sort don't exist so maybe I'm Golfing up the wrong tree.

Sam and Max: Hit the Road is literally a road trip adventure game.
Kentucky Route Zero has similar elements, but is all about beautiful surrealism.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Anatharon posted:

The Dark Spire, which aside from some minor gameplay differences (4 character parties, dual-classing) is basically a classic Wizardry game. Unlike Etrian Odyssey/Class of Heroes, the dungeon design is pretty great—it has puzzles and complex mazes and stuff, so there's more to it than endless combat and fetch quests. The slow pace and minimalistic presentation might not do it for you, but it remains the best modern attempt at the classic Wizardry formula I've seen.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Petiso posted:

The only old-school, first-person sci-fi RPGs I can think of are Alternate Reality: The City/Dungeon and Centauri Alliance. And I guess the Buck Rogers SSI games.

Ignoring the first-person part, there are significantly more, like Wasteland (post-apocalyptic) and 2400 AD.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I've got 20 bucks to blow on something that will fill the empty pit of malaise that occupies my insides. Preferably something pretty, otherwordly, and exploration driven - like The Void, Morrowind, Dreamfall or Okami.

Edit: Or something as big, dumb, and shameless as a Platinum game.

Edit 2: Also, it has to be on PC, PS2 or 3DS.

Pomp fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Mar 3, 2014

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Pomp posted:

I've got 20 bucks to blow on something that will fill the empty pit of malaise that occupies my insides. Preferably something pretty, otherwordly, and exploration driven - like The Void, Morrowind, Dreamfall or Okami.

Pathologic is on GOG and made by the Void developers. It's otherworldly and exploration driven, although few would call it pretty.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Genpei Turtle posted:

The only old-school, first-person sci-fi RPGs I can think of are Alternate Reality: The City/Dungeon and Centauri Alliance. And I guess the Buck Rogers SSI games.

Ignoring the first-person part, there are significantly more, like Wasteland (post-apocalyptic) and 2400 AD.

Thanks for these and to the other posters too for those urban fantasy games suggestions, I'll be sure to check them out.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Actually, would The Whale's Voyage count for a first person sci-fi RPG?

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Pomp posted:

I had a lot of fun with Knytt Underground recently. It's a platformer, which I'm not generally interested in, but the world is massive and the art and music evoke a very chill, otherworldly vibe. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwZ2Z7WRQrI

benloran
Aug 26, 2009

Petiso posted:

It's a Kickstarter project, but StarCrawlers looks like something you'd be interested in.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Petiso posted:

Thanks for these and to the other posters too for those urban fantasy games suggestions, I'll be sure to check them out.

Forgot to mention, there was a game series that was total urban fantasy from that era (90s), look up Megatraveller. I believe it's a seirra game.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

Forgot to mention, there was a game series that was total urban fantasy from that era (90s), look up Megatraveller. I believe it's a seirra game.

Wasn't Megatraveller pure sci-fi going from planet to planet in your spaceship?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Genpei Turtle posted:

Wasn't Megatraveller pure sci-fi going from planet to planet in your spaceship?

I remember exploring city sprawls with my 5 or 6 guys and equipping them with gear and that kind of thing. It was top-down and somewhat turn based if I remember correctly. There was also space travel and combat but I don't remember it as much. I think I was playing Megatraveller 1 : The Zhodani Conspiracy. It was the first game I ever beat and at the end of it I got a code and a phone number to sierra, I guess if you're the first person to call it you get a smattering of their games (I wasn't).

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
What are some good PS3 exclusives to look out for? I'm borrowing one in a few weeks, so far I'm going to get:

-The Last of Us
-Heavy Rain
-Uncharted
-Infamous

Am I missing anything obvious? I'll only have it for a week, so nothing too time-consuming.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Little Big Planet comes to mind. It's pretty simple, so it'd be easy to fit in with the rest of those games.

You're going to have a hell of a busy week if you plan on playing all four of those unless you're doing all day marathons. :)

e: Also Journey.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What are some good games I can play with a M/KB and my Girlfriend can play with my X360 controller? (On my laptop for a car ride.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Turtlicious posted:

What are some good games I can play with a M/KB and my Girlfriend can play with my X360 controller? (On my laptop for a car ride.)

Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light, Spelunky, Brothers (you'd both have to hold half of the controller), Magicka if it has local, Monaco, Risk of Rain, Trine and Trine 2. And of course, there's tons of games you can emulate from older systems.