Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

BlitzBlast posted:

We have no idea, all we know about the thing is some design art because Unicorn 7 hasn't come out yet.

Well that and the size. I hope you have lots of room, I guess?

Ah, see, I haven't actually watched Unicorn since Episode 3, I think? It might have been 4 and I just haven't kept up because it really didn't blow me away and the pacing between episodes seemed kind of slow so I figured I'd get to it eventually after I worked my way through the rest of the franchise.

Of course the first things I watched after that decision were Seed and then AGE so maybe I made the worst decision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I finally got around to starting this show and have binged through the first 10 episodes already. Why is this so good? It's the most blatantly product placement-y Gundam has ever been, and it is also probably my favorite Gundam series. Every episode just puts a stupid grin on my face. It should by all rights be a terrible show, but every single character is great, it plays itself completely straight which makes it hilarious, the fights are really good (especially Zaku Amazing vs. Build Strike in episode 6 being like final battle quality in any other series), and the soundtrack is fantastic, including Mexican guitar.

I, a man at the age of too-old-to-be-buying-plastic-toys-for-children, now kind of want to build them. What has this show done to me?

chumbler fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Mar 3, 2014

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

It's because everyone making the show actually gives a poo poo and is having fun doing it, which is why there hasn't been such a good gundam since Turn A

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Paper Lion posted:

It's because everyone making the show actually gives a poo poo and is having fun doing it, which is why there hasn't been such a good gundam since Turn A

That first season of 00 was pretty good.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

chumbler posted:

I, a man at the age of too-old-to-be-buying-plastic-toys-for-children, now kind of want to build them. What has this show done to me?

Dehumanize yourself and submit to plastic. :unsmigghh:

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
Episode 21 is out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rs1vbr_vAmw

Preview spoiler: Is Meijin's opponent going to be that one guy whose name we heard, but never actually saw?

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Holy poo poo. :tviv:

Edit: Too soon.

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Mar 3, 2014

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Daler Mehndi posted:

Episode 21 is out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rs1vbr_vAmw

Preview spoiler: Is Meijin's opponent going to be that one guy whose name we heard, but never actually saw?

Wait, wait, wait. The blonde guy's name is Nine Barthes? Some parents are just cruel.

Also to join in on the fight taking a sharp left turn into hilarious; :magical:.

The Missing Link
Aug 13, 2008

Should do fine against cats.

I laughed especially hard at Yuuki. He totally believed he was seeing the light of the heart.

The Missing Link fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Mar 3, 2014

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I haven't gotten warm fuzzies from a Gundam series like this since the end of G Gundam, nor have I ever laughed as hard at one.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I cracked up at Yuuki's line too. He's the Char, of course he has to say it.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

See now THAT'S how you do a Cyber Newtype storyline! I may or may not have had a super high level of warm fuzziness as well from that episode.

The Missing Link posted:

Dancing Qubeley Papillion

Star Build Strike shaking its fist in anger makes the everloving gently caress out of that shot.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Is there any part of the Meijin rulebook that says that you have to have one line that makes little sense per battle? Because between that light of the heart thing and the previous "he's named Sengoku but he uses Chinese techniques!" thing...geez.

Hilarious and emotional episode. Sei giving Aila Reiji's stone was actually a pretty good idea, even if it backfired horribly by the end (hope your mother's fine with another person in your house!). The whole talk between Reiji and Aila nearly drove me to tears. First time I care about a cyber Newtype, good job GBF! (though I guess she's closer to Allenby than to Four anyways). And then Aila just snaps and holy poo poo I was laughing so hard. Everyone's reactions were great.

The fight was disappointing but, honestly, who the gently caress cares?! This episode was definitely character-driven and it completely succeeded in that, so gently caress it, awesome episode, 10/10, would watch again, and in fact I'll probably go do exactly that now.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

TARDISman posted:

Star Build Strike shaking its fist in anger makes the everloving gently caress out of that shot.

Yeah that was absolutely hilarious. Sei's genre savvy move of sharing the charm was pretty funny too in it's own way, though I doubt he expected to witness a newtype style connection in person.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

It's too bad the Quibley Papillion is such an ugly gunpla because even after this good episode that tugs at your feel-strings I still can't pull the trigger on the kit.

Maoh still cracking me up in the end crying 'Mizaki!'. Everyone is getting the girl but Maoh. I hope they end the series with Maoh still emo, too funny.

Yeah I dunno about turning the Iori household into some sort of gunpla hostel...

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
I love Mao going "Misaki-chaaaaan" right at the end for no reason.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
This show is so much better than it ever should be. Reiji and Alia's relationship is actually pretty heartfelt and this episode was loaded with emotion. I never cared for Lalah Sune or Four Murasame, but Alia is great. I think I like Alia better because she acts like an actual human being and has understandable emotions and isn't totally batshit crazy bipolar like your average cyber newtype. Although to be fair, I also really liked Allenby in G Gundam, and that's the character she's most similar to (although she's a lot better than Allenby so far.)

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Blackchamber posted:

It's too bad the Quibley Papillion is such an ugly gunpla because even after this good episode that tugs at your feel-strings I still can't pull the trigger on the kit.

Maoh still cracking me up in the end crying 'Mizaki!'. Everyone is getting the girl but Maoh. I hope they end the series with Maoh still emo, too funny.

Yeah I dunno about turning the Iori household into some sort of gunpla hostel...

I'm a huge fan of the Qubeley and I can't do it, I really want to pick it up but I can't stand the amount of stickers on the kit so I'm going to wait until I can get significantly better at painting.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
That was basically the best way to resolve Aila and Reiji's storyline. Great to see we're finally getting on to Reiji's backstory too!

I thought it was loving hilarious how the battle literally came down to "oh poo poo we're out of time, quick, bullshit a victory!" And I didn't even care because we finally got a good dynamic kill for Build Knuckle.

Also :siren: V2 Buster :siren:, come on Bandai don't let me down! There were tons of cameos but I only recognized that and Impulse.

EDIT: Holy poo poo, next episode is Exia RII vs F91. I'm finally going to see the Exia RII do something besides suicide, yeeeeeees. :dance:

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Mar 3, 2014

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Schubalts posted:

I love Mao going "Misaki-chaaaaan" right at the end for no reason.

Every was having a good time with they're girlfriend and dude just isn't having any luck. The best part about it is you can hear Reiji chuck a can at him right at the end.

The Missing Link posted:

I laughed especially hard at Yuuki. He totally believed he was seeing the light of the heart.

Yuuki is a very special young lad.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.
There were just so many neat little moments this episode. I think one of my favorite was Aila going all "Hah, I can see what you're doing next! ...wait, gently caress I can't dodge it!" Nice little thing that turns the pseudo-Newtype precognition thing on its head.

I love how dumbfounded the crowd got during the fight, too. That was just great. :3:

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I loved that they turned the whole usual tone of dealing with cyber-newtypes on its head and how the whole fight ended up.

Although if Sei wants to win this tournament apparently he should just attach a giant plastic fist to a set of boosters.

Pureauthor fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Mar 3, 2014

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I wonder if at this point Sei just has a case full of rifles/shields/railguns back at the hotel room so he can swap them out after every fight, because they appear to be made out of the same stuff they used to make Leos.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Pureauthor posted:

I loved that the turned the whole usual tone of dealing with cyber-newtypes on its head and how the whole fight ended up.

Although if Sei wants to win this tournament apparently he should just attach a giant plastic fist to a set of boosters.

Oh god.

Oh god.

Star Build Strike: God Scrander. This needs to happen.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

I'm pretty okay with the fight being bullshit because the series has had so so many good fights. And the character development in this is rock solid, while remaining amusing to boot.

Also, have I not been paying attention, or was it telegraphed that Chairman had a gem just like Reiji?

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Monathin posted:

I'm pretty okay with the fight being bullshit because the series has had so so many good fights. And the character development in this is rock solid, while remaining amusing to boot.

Also, have I not been paying attention, or was it telegraphed that Chairman had a gem just like Reiji?

It wasn't telegraphed, it was explicitly shown.
My bet's that this is the source of plavsky particles.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Monathin posted:

I think this was the first time it's shown that he has a gem. Also, Reiji's full name is badass as hell.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Lurking Haro posted:

It wasn't telegraphed, it was explicitly shown.
My bet's that this is the source of plavsky particles.

By 'telegraphed' he means 'was it foreshadowed.'

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

StrifeHira posted:

Oh god.

Oh god.

Star Build Strike: God Scrander. This needs to happen.

If he wanted to do this sort of thing, Sei picked the wrong SEED suit:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Kind of wondering who's gonna end up with the Crossbone Kai now though. I'm predicting "everybody parties in Sei's room" will lead to a scene where everyone pitches in for the SBS's upgrade/final rebuild, but Strike > Crossbone X1 seems completely random. Unless Aqua Discharge literally spews plavsky water everywhere and then a pirate ship shows up.

I will laugh so hard if it turns out to be Ral's and has a secret monoeye mode. Or maybe it's the hidden weapon of the Gunpla mafia? The possibilities are endless.

EDIT: Wait a minute, now that I think about it the X1 was technically the upgrade to the F91... Maybe the preview is a flashback?

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Mar 3, 2014

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Please don't let Sei's final suit be a loving Crosssbone variant. The MG Crossbone is awful and I sure as hell don't to buy another one.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Pureauthor posted:

By 'telegraphed' he means 'was it foreshadowed.'

Yeah, I totally read that sentence the wrong way.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

drat that was a good episode. :allears:

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Mar 3, 2014

Caros
May 14, 2008

Jesus, this show. :psyduck:

That episode went from arguably the most down and out depressing place the show had been, straight through to a dancing Quebely making fun of Reiji without skipping a beat or taking me out of the moment. See Gundam, the Cyber Newtype girl doesn't always have to die a horrible, horrible death that doesn't really advance the plot. Sometimes Gundam can be fun!

I was absolutely up in the clouds when she took off the helmet and started yelling at her manager and the team nemesis guy. You go girl!

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I really doubt we are going to see Discharge:Aqua, and if we do I think it will be something else entirely with aqua being a now-obsolete placeholder.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

They probably were going to use it in the fight where the build got dragged under water but thought it was a better use of time to have Ramba Ral bail them out by grabbing the dude and flinging him off. They made the right choice.

vvv
That could have been solved by giving them more charge to begin with. The writers just wanted to have Ramba Ral flip some dude off.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Mar 3, 2014

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

If they had used Aqua Discharge in the race, they wouldn't have had the charge to use Speed Discharge. Which would have killed the climax of the finish since they'd just be dead last.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Anyway that was a great EP, I just love how Reji does not care for Sei's approval at all.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Monathin posted:

In the sense that they are from the same kingdom, and would probably have some similar doodads, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

"everybody parties in Sei's room"

Speaking of, Sei's hotel room is getting pretty cramped. I hope Aila uses whatever goodwill she has left with Nemesis to get everyone to pile into the villain bus.

• Locked thread