Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

FractalSandwich posted:

Unless it's a fun game that just has lovely art direction, I guess. There are plenty of those too.

Don't insult Zun's creativity. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I actually like ZUN's art direction. He doesn't draw short skirts or nonsensical skintight clothing or anything like that. Maybe that's just because he can't, but either way it's good.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

FractalSandwich posted:

I actually like ZUN's art direction. He doesn't draw short skirts or nonsensical skintight clothing or anything like that. Maybe that's just because he can't, but either way it's good.
I think your idea of 'good' has been skewed by anime games a lil, if all it takes is not having dumb/creepy outfits

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

ZUN can only draw weird-looking dolls with sometimes hilarious expressions on their faces (like Satori and Hina), hope this helps.

SirSlarty
Dec 23, 2003

that's wicked

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Also, Tojiko is clearly the best dialogue-less Mid-Boss. Because even though Futo killed her she doesn't care at all, since being a ghost is hella cool. :colbert:

Tojiko has dialogue during one of Miko's spellcards. :spergin:

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Zun's design is good in the sense that most of the characters have a unique silhouette without being too outlandish.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

IronicDongz posted:

I think your idea of 'good' has been skewed by anime games a lil, if all it takes is not having dumb/creepy outfits

He also uses colours other than grey and brown. That's also important. Other than that, yes, that's all it takes. The past 10 years of games have not been kind to my standards.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
ZUN's a good character designer, even if he's not quite good at making those designs work in his own art.

Like, hell, look at this:

Chances are those characters are recognizable to you. The man uses color pretty well, and his designs are distinctive.

Also he can draw frills pretty well. That's literally the only thing he's good at drawing. That and maybe hats.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

ZUN's a good character designer, even if he's not quite good at making those designs work in his own art.

Like, hell, look at this:

Chances are those characters are recognizable to you. The man uses color pretty well, and his designs are distinctive.

Also he can draw frills pretty well. That's literally the only thing he's good at drawing. That and maybe hats.

:aaaaa: Is there something that does this for all of the characters? I'd like to see how many I can guess right. (I was about to make a post doing the same for this set, but then I realised it's literally the MoF bosses in order. I couldn't guess the Aki sisters though.)

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
Yeah, I agree. I unironically enjoy ZUN's art, even it's technically flawed.

Though those cross-sections are missing some of the best parts, ie. Suwako hat. Unless the hat's a lot flatter than I remember it. I guess it's not meant to be in scale though.

Redmark fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Mar 3, 2014

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

Kheldragar posted:

:aaaaa: Is there something that does this for all of the characters? I'd like to see how many I can guess right. (I was about to make a post doing the same for this set, but then I realised it's literally the MoF bosses in order. I couldn't guess the Aki sisters though.)

No idea, I made that a while back, along with most of the rest of the games. I only have a few, though, since most of them were hosted on Waffleimages. (gosh, remember that?)

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

this is what happens when you take UI design away from engineers and give it to a bunch of hipster art student "designers"

SyntheticPolygon posted:

But does she take herself seriously? As a midboss without dialogue the only thing we know about her is that she and Aya dislike each other and Hatate thinks she's pretty cool. I suppose it's just another example of how the Touhou Fandom basically invents personalities for most of the characters. I'm just more confused about how Momiji is so much more popular than the other midbosses.
Her characterization is from DS and SoPM; before those came out she was considered more of Aya's sidekick than a real character. The reveal in DS that she strongly dislikes Aya did a lot to jumpstart her popularity.

As for taking herself seriously, well, this is her SoPM portrait. You be the judge:

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

SirSlarty posted:

Never understood Momiji's popularity either. Probably has something to do with being a furry with a sword.

She has the Canadian contigent backing her up.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"

FractalSandwich posted:

I don't know anything about Keitai Colander or whatever, but I find it hard to believe that any game with school swimsuits in it could be anything but a cynical cash-in.

Unless it's a fun game that just has lovely art direction, I guess. There are plenty of those too.
Take a heavily chance-based game like XCom except no amount of actual strategy or unit strength will make up for botched turns, and then change all your units into girls with varying otaku fetishes (and one girl from "England" with American mannerisms).

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

leather fedora posted:

Take a heavily chance-based game like XCom except no amount of actual strategy or unit strength will make up for botched turns, and then change all your units into girls with varying otaku fetishes (and one girl from "England" with American mannerisms).

Does it also have an energy system? I bet it has an energy system.

Interesting that free-to-play browser games are catching on in Japan, though. For better or worse.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Japanese browser games aren't new, both Idolmaster and Madoka had one and I'm assuming that they were successful. Kantai Collection's main draw is actually that every character is voiced with a bunch of lines and they got some decent talent for it, like the one English battleship that yells gaijun English is literally Karen from Kirino Mosaic.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Conversely, I'd say Touhou is pretty notable for continuing to not have voice acting, even in the fighting games. From what I can tell, voice actors in Japan work for crumbs and need any job they can get.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Schwarzwald posted:

She has the Canadian contigent backing her up.

:canada: here, for some reason ever since I saw the maple leaf on her shield my head canon is that she's some particular French Canadian specific wolf-breed native American spirit who emigrated to Japan.

Honestly I think its more fun than [Insert-Youkai-Here] that happens for most of the characters.

I want a Moose Youkai so badly. :smith:

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Ha ha ha, Reisen dead loving last of all Windows characters.

Though Unzan being not much higher is an outrage.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013

Mazed posted:

Ha ha ha, Reisen dead loving last of all Windows characters.

Though Unzan being not much higher is an outrage.

That's the moon Reisen from the manga, Reisen that fled to Earth is 23rd.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Redmark posted:

What's the difference?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Redmark posted:

This is only confusing in the translation. In Japanese their names are spelled differently so it would be obvious (the new one's name is written in katakana, while the original is in kanji). Not sure why the SSIB translators didn't think of using "Raysen" or something, which is what I would advocate, but it's too late to really change that.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Redmark posted:

Well gently caress.

That means Unzan is dead last. :smith:

or should I say, :smithcloud:

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."

FractalSandwich posted:

We may mock Zun's drawing ability as simplistic but among an otaku culture drowning in overt sexualisation of young teenage girls, he is doing a drat good job avoiding creating characters with boob windows, miniskirts, thigh highs, creep-shots, etc and I don't at all think that's by accident.

Kantai collection is pretty much the otaku cash-in opposite of touhou and it's creepy as poo poo as well as having none of the charm.

GeeCee fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Mar 3, 2014

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello

Hokuto posted:

What's the difference?

To answer this more directly, in Silent Sinner in Blue the leaders of the Moon's defensive forces, the Watatsuki sisters, decided to take in a new pet rabbit to replace the one that ran away. Just to be confusing, they gave her the same name. The reason Reisen #2 didn't have a name previously is because moon rabbits don't have names. Just like normal Earth rabbits don't have names. It's also the reason Reisen #1 has three names. None of them are her surname. All three are her given names simply given to her by different people.

A Meat
Jun 28, 2013

CERTIFIED FRESH AS HELL DOC MAKER

About the character design in Touhou, I think ZUN is kind of bad at drawing. However, he's actually really good at making memorable character designs, so it doesn't matter how well he draws them. (smugface characters are also a very charming thing he does and the world would be worse without it)

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Trihugger posted:

To answer this more directly, in Silent Sinner in Blue the leaders of the Moon's defensive forces, the Watatsuki sisters, decided to take in a new pet rabbit to replace the one that ran away. Just to be confusing, they gave her the same name. The reason Reisen #2 didn't have a name previously is because moon rabbits don't have names. Just like normal Earth rabbits don't have names. It's also the reason Reisen #1 has three names. None of them are her surname. All three are her given names simply given to her by different people.

I loving love that this is the actual explanation.

Though presumably Tewi doesn't count as a 'normal' Earth rabbit.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Trihugger posted:

I learned something new today. I always thought Reisen Udongein Inaba was some sort of full name that we called her by for some reason or another.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Clarste posted:

Conversely, I'd say Touhou is pretty notable for continuing to not have voice acting, even in the fighting games. From what I can tell, voice actors in Japan work for crumbs and need any job they can get.

Funnily enough, The Touhouvania fangame has voice-acting

And your comment about VAs working for crumbs helps explain why its actually decent, at least as far as I can tell. For all I know they may sound like the first Resident Evil game to native Japanese speakers.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Kheldragar posted:

I learned something new today. I always thought Reisen Udongein Inaba was some sort of full name that we called her by for some reason or another.

For the record, all the names are pretty insulting. "Reisen" is what the Watatsukis apparently name whichever rabbit happens to be their pet; "Udongein" is what Eirin calls her as a reference to her purpose (roughly equivalent to "Canary" as in "Canary in the coal mine": her job is to die first as a warning); and Kaguya calls her Inaba because she can't tell her apart from Tewi.

SirPhoebos posted:

Funnily enough, The Touhouvania fangame has voice-acting

And your comment about VAs working for crumbs helps explain why its actually decent, at least as far as I can tell. For all I know they may sound like the first Resident Evil game to native Japanese speakers.

That game got an A-list cast of voice actors, and made a big deal of it. The voice direction wasn't always too great, but the actors were pretty good.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Mar 3, 2014

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Devour or Fire posted:

Japanese browser games aren't new, both Idolmaster and Madoka had one and I'm assuming that they were successful. Kantai Collection's main draw is actually that every character is voiced with a bunch of lines and they got some decent talent for it, like the one English battleship that yells gaijun English is literally Karen from Kirino Mosaic.

how many of them have that annoying super-high-pitched voice that grinds in your ears, my guess is like 90%

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Mazed posted:

I loving love that this is the actual explanation.

Though presumably Tewi doesn't count as a 'normal' Earth rabbit.

Tewi's old enough to probably have earned a million names from people.

Most of them epithets

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Dr Pepper posted:

Tewi's old enough to probably have earned a million names from people.

Most of them epithets

I had a slight moment of :psyduck: when reading through the wiki I come to known than Tewi's the big wig for the Earth Rabbits and is just allowing Kaguya, Eirin and Reisen to stay with them.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I had a slight moment of :psyduck: when reading through the wiki I come to known than Tewi's the big wig for the Earth Rabbits and is just allowing Kaguya, Eirin and Reisen to stay with them.
Kaguya is the ex-boss. Tewi is the ex-ex-boss. That's why she didn't show up in game. :downsrim:

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
This game series is terrible.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
"If I'm bad at it, it must be terrible."

*nods wisely*

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Motherfucker posted:

I disagree

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."
my phone is 90% touhou mixes and house sets and I can barely easy-mode these games. Its me. I am terrible. :nignog:

dranxis
Jul 12, 2013

Delicious tears of disappointment

Motherfucker posted:

Are you the one responsible for this video?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

Motherfucker posted:

You MOTHERFUCKER