Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

If they didn't have the public ginormous list of "all of these features will be in before Beta", I'd agree with you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

As long as they don't go open beta what does it even change?

It'll still be buggy, it'll still crash, it'll still be kickstarter backers so who cares what they call it?

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

Grim posted:

So what do people think? This time next year? Sooner? Later?

Well, to be honest, I see it happening, yeah--they've said there's only about 15 or so cards yet to be released in the PvP set so far, so they'll be able to finally focus on getting tourney's in order, I see it.

Especially since they've changed their stance on PvE, that is, we'll PvP Beta first.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Meh, most of the features in the list currently missing are relatively small things - deck sleeves shouldn't take too much effort to do, for example. Even draft tournaments should be a relatively simple variant on sealed tournaments. I'd say the really big time hogs will probably be squashing all the current bugs with tournaments, Mac support, and getting the auction house working. I think six months is realistic.

(The full PVE probably isn't going to hit until late 2015, though... :cry:)

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Huh. According to the most recent Cory blog, you'll be able to use in-game gold to play a slots mini game to upgrade the rarity of one of the treasure chests you can find in packs. Or... something like that.

http://coryhudsonjones.tumblr.com/post/78051410843/the-pack-opening-experience-or-how-much-fun-can-i

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Man, I am going to need a poo poo-load of gold after all the free boosters + drafts

Did you catch the new Rare reveal? :stare:

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
wrong thread

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~

Grim posted:

Man, I am going to need a poo poo-load of gold after all the free boosters + drafts

Did you catch the new Rare reveal? :stare:

Yeah, that looked pretty awesome.

It's basically a better Flock of Seagulls, even without all the draw as it blocks all damage rather than just combat.

You could even have burn decks that use it to give more draw.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

BenRGamer posted:

Yeah, that looked pretty awesome.

It's basically a better Flock of Seagulls, even without all the draw as it blocks all damage rather than just combat.

You could even have burn decks that use it to give more draw.

I sure hope I can make a Chain of Plasma/Swans of Bryn Argoll deck in Hex :allears:.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

BenRGamer posted:

Well, to be honest, I see it happening, yeah--they've said there's only about 15 or so cards yet to be released in the PvP set so far, so they'll be able to finally focus on getting tourney's in order, I see it.

Especially since they've changed their stance on PvE, that is, we'll PvP Beta first.

I just wonder how long it's going to take them to program each new set. I'm sure things will speed up, but to what extent I wonder.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

I think things should actually speed up quite a lot. Right now there are three major factors slowing things down:

1. Most of their programmer time is going towards bugfixing and coding up new features. Post-release there might be the occasional new feature, but nothing on this scale.
2. Since this is the first set, they're having a lot more problems with card interactions breaking the engine than they will in later sets. It's also probably larger than most of the later sets will be.
3. If they dripfeed us cards rather than giving us all the cards at once, the alpha gets a slowly evolving meta instead of a completely stagnant one, and more people stay interested in the game. (I think Cory mentioned they had something like an 80% retention rate?) I suspect this is also at least part of the reason they're making balance changes in every patch.

So on the whole I'm not too worried.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002
Is it possible to safely sell a Grand King tier? I've already logged in and created a user account, and the account is linked to my 'standard' email.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
It's against the terms of service, as long as there is nothing that can link your forum identity to your Hex account I don't think there is much they would be able to do but that it worth thinking about

WayAbvPar
Mar 11, 2009

Ah- Smug Mode.

If we get our KS rewards *soon*, there is basically zero chance I would play. The game is not even close to being ready/stable enough to risk losing any of the packs or other goodies I will get. I might log in once a week for my free draft (which they haven't even introduced yet, and they are talking KS rewards??) but nothing beyond that. It is frustrating enough finishing 1 tournament in 10 without having to petition to get my packs/entry fees back because the goddamned match didn't start for the other 9 times.

TL/DR Not even close to ready for open beta. Unless CZ is the first online game developer in history to actually pull of a miracle launch day patch that fixes all the woes while not breaking anything.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

WayAbvPar posted:

If we get our KS rewards *soon*, there is basically zero chance I would play. The game is not even close to being ready/stable enough to risk losing any of the packs or other goodies I will get. I might log in once a week for my free draft (which they haven't even introduced yet, and they are talking KS rewards??) but nothing beyond that. It is frustrating enough finishing 1 tournament in 10 without having to petition to get my packs/entry fees back because the goddamned match didn't start for the other 9 times.

TL/DR Not even close to ready for open beta. Unless CZ is the first online game developer in history to actually pull of a miracle launch day patch that fixes all the woes while not breaking anything.

We're not getting Kickstarter Rewards until after the beta wipe. This is probably still 6 months-ish off.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

WayAbvPar posted:

They have clearly stated that Kickstarter rewards and monetization in general are only after they enter PvP Beta, and they won't do that until quite a number of other things are done. You're making a mountain out of an imaginary molehill.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Some people think though that Closed Beta will begin as early as April / May - as I said I think those people are wrong, PLUS Cryptozoic have continually done good by us as players (their motto is "Fans First"), but they've had 10 months since the Kickstarter launched plus another 2 years before that of wages and other stuff to pay for so you can't help but be apprehensive about whether they might rush into monetization - good intentions or not

Anyway new patch notes are up

God this looks pretty

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~

Grim posted:

God this looks pretty

I'm also wondering what that symbol in the upper corner above the socket is, it's not on the other cards.

Midrena
May 2, 2009

tijag posted:

Is it possible to safely sell a Grand King tier? I've already logged in and created a user account, and the account is linked to my 'standard' email.

If you're looking to get your money back (i.e., not selling it to make a profit), you can ask Crypto for a refund and they'll do so without any fuss.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~

CZE_Ty posted:

The square with the arrow in the upper right corner will be shown on cards that have full art unlocked. You can click it to toggle between the full art and regular version.

From the main forums.

Neat.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
That is pretty cool, I wonder if I have maximized art on the card in my hand and I play it will my opponent see that maxed by default or if they will just have the option to look at it

Also tournaments are finally working for me each time! Since they were introduced I would try and try to get it to go to the second round and nothing, but now it's working like a dream

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~

Grim posted:

That is pretty cool, I wonder if I have maximized art on the card in my hand and I play it will my opponent see that maxed by default or if they will just have the option to look at it

Also tournaments are finally working for me each time! Since they were introduced I would try and try to get it to go to the second round and nothing, but now it's working like a dream

I'd imagine it'd work like sleeves, you show your opponent. They wouldn't give you bling and not let you show it off.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Robot decks are better than I thought in Sealed. I won a tournament a while back with a god draw robot deck (Droo's, Slaughtergear, Dwarven Armory, Worker Factory, etc), but I just won another one with a very slow mono-blue robot deck without the rare bombs. Its best bombs were a Construction Plans: War Hulk, 2 Pterobots, and a Volcannon, and the Volcannon only won me a single game (only drew it twice, both in the finals, and I actually lost one of those).

What I did have were three Time Ripples, a Turreted Wall, two of the pay 7-artifacts and tap to draw a card dwarves and a Dwarven Armory. In every single game but one, even when I missed land drops, I was able to stall out the game long enough to get the card advantage dwarves and then just draw way too many cards. That one game I lost is because he Inquisitioned away a Pterobot early on and had enough fliers early enough that I couldn't outrace him, even with a Volcannon.

I guess I got lucky with my opponents too, because I would have almsot certainly lost to a flier-heavy or really aggressive deck, but I honestly never expected to make it past the first round with the deck I used. I mean, it had quite literally zero ways to permanently remove specific enemy creatures; the best I could do was induce a double-block and Time Ripple one of the blockers.

I guess what I'm saying is, give mono-blue robots a try in sealed sometime! It doesn't require quite as specific a set of cards as I previously thought. Also, Time Ripple is amazing.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

How does the complexity of this game compare to Magic? One of the reasons I like Magic so much is that it has a rich rules system that allows for a lot of weird combo potential; look at cards like Sundial of the Infinite. It's what turned me off of Hearthstone; it's a fun game but it doesn't look like the sort of one where I can build really weird combos.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

It compares favorably to early Magic. It obviously can't have the complexity of a game with 10+ thousand unique cards when it only a few hundred right now, but it's way, way more complex than Hearthstone. It's very similar to Magic in the way it plays, although there are some key differences.

If you want an example of weird interactions, here's one: take the cards Verdant Wyldeboar and Replicator's Gambit. If you Replicate the Wyldeboar before its ability triggers, when you redraw it you'll have 7 4/4 haste critters for 2 mana, and if your opponent survives that, each of those 7 return to your deck to be drawn again. When you draw them again, you get 7 8/8 haste critters from each of them. For 2 mana spent. That's 49 total 8/8 haste creatures, costing a sum total of 17 mana in 1 and 2 mana increments, with only two cards in deck building.

Now apply a Devoted Emissary...

Zurai fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Mar 2, 2014

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Yeah, they're obviously not going to get all the way up to full Magic complexity with just the first set of 350 cards, but they've been very clear about wanting to get there with future sets. Cryptozoic were the people behind the old World of Warcraft TCG, which was probably Magic's biggest competitor before Blizzard dropped it for Hearthstone. (Also, check out Demented Demolisher, Doppelgadget, escalation cards, and socketed cards - they're doing some pretty neat things even in the first set.)

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

It turns out that the grand concubunny can get really out of control fast if she spawns ritualist of the spring litter ( another copy of a shin hare for every effect that makes another shin hare)two times in a row.

by the end of the game I had regular concubunnies making 5 battle hoppers each that I fed to my blood cultist that powered up my Eulogist.

WayAbvPar
Mar 11, 2009

Ah- Smug Mode.

Zurai posted:

They have clearly stated that Kickstarter rewards and monetization in general are only after they enter PvP Beta, and they won't do that until quite a number of other things are done. You're making a mountain out of an imaginary molehill.

I was just reacting to all the chatter about beta starting soon. It ain't ready. Although this latest patch seems to have helped out tourneys quite a bit, so maybe they are a bit closer than I thought.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

DrManiac posted:

It turns out that the grand concubunny can get really out of control fast if she spawns ritualist of the spring litter ( another copy of a shin hare for every effect that makes another shin hare)two times in a row.

by the end of the game I had regular concubunnies making 5 battle hoppers each that I fed to my blood cultist that powered up my Eulogist.

Yeah, she's actually a really good bomb for Limited play. If she lasts more than a turn or two uncontested things can get really difficult for the opponent. Most of the non-unique shin'hare are useful to some degree when you get them automatically for free. Battle Hoppers still suck except as sacrifice ammo, but most everything else has a use, and several of them are really really good (the */* one with *=troops, the commander if you already have a bunch of bunnies, ritualist as you mentioned, the wizard that lets you revert troops can be godlike in the right situation, etc).

WayAbvPar posted:

I was just reacting to all the chatter about beta starting soon. It ain't ready. Although this latest patch seems to have helped out tourneys quite a bit, so maybe they are a bit closer than I thought.

Fair enough, and I do agree that Beta probably won't start within the next 2 months or so, but tournaments have been improved a lot. I did have one game fail to start last night, but I think it was because I had literally just started to play a vs AI game to waste time while waiting for the tournament to start and it got confused. Have gotten to round 3 in multiple tournies since the patch with no other errors.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~

WayAbvPar posted:

Well, as said earlier, there's only a handful of cards left to introduce for Set 1, I imagine once they get all the cards in they'll have the Tourney working in short order as they won't have to split their time/manpower anymore.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

There's still all the PvE cards to code, don't forget.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~

Zurai posted:

There's still all the PvE cards to code, don't forget.

Those aren't in the way of Beta, though, they've since changed plans and are having a Closed/Open PvP Beta before introducing PvE, so I'd imagine everything not directly required for releasing the monetized beta would be put on the backburner.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Not if they want to get PvE out ever. They'll both be worked on at the same time, it's just that they're not going to wait for PvE to be done before going to beta.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002
I think the deckbuilder is horrific. Considering how small the card pool is now and how slow it is, I'm not super confident in how it will perform as they add additional sets.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

tijag posted:

I think the deckbuilder is horrific. Considering how small the card pool is now and how slow it is, I'm not super confident in how it will perform as they add additional sets.

I just have to concur with this. It is really bad. I'm hopeful it will still see a lot of love before release.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

King Burgundy posted:

I just have to concur with this. It is really bad. I'm hopeful it will still see a lot of love before release.

For sure. That said, I don't really play in the alpha because I'm content to wait for a polished product before I sink time into it. I do appreciate the updates that people who are playing drop here though.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

Karnegal posted:

For sure. That said, I don't really play in the alpha because I'm content to wait for a polished product before I sink time into it. I do appreciate the updates that people who are playing drop here though.

Posting to agree with this. I will drop in for a sealed tourny occasionally just to see how that's progressing. Game sure needs a hefty load of work.

OBi
Feb 27, 2005

HQ BN A CO BEARMAT
2001-2005. The POG-est.
It would really help a ton if it would just allow me to set my search criteria completely before querying for results, rather than doing it every time I add or remove a condition and lagging a bit each time.

In order to search out blue cards I have to wait for it to search for red/white/blue/green cards, then red/white/blue cards, then red/blue cards, and finally blue cards.

Let me set the query quickly then press a button!

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Super sad that I had a fail to start error in a sealed this afternoon. My pool let me play mono blue, with the following things of note:
- 2 Buccaneer
- 2 Cerulean Mentalist
- 2 Time Rippled
- 4 Countermagic
- 1 Cosmic Transmogrifier

Along with a bunch of solid 3/4 drop dudes with fat-butts to take advantage of Mentalist. There were some Mesmerizes in there, too. Basically all the control of a constructed mono blue deck, in sealed. And I didn't get to play. :(

That said, tournaments have been pretty good so far; I'd say of the ones I fire on I get to finish between 65-80% of games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Zurai posted:

Yeah, she's actually a really good bomb for Limited play. If she lasts more than a turn or two uncontested things can get really difficult for the opponent. Most of the non-unique shin'hare are useful to some degree when you get them automatically for free. Battle Hoppers still suck except as sacrifice ammo, but most everything else has a use, and several of them are really really good (the */* one with *=troops, the commander if you already have a bunch of bunnies, ritualist as you mentioned, the wizard that lets you revert troops can be godlike in the right situation, etc).

The problem is that they DO all have a use, and you need practically all of them. You need a way to generate rabbits, a way to sacrifice and a way to permanently buff them. If any link in the chain dies(and they will) then it all falls apart. Grand Concubunny is really good, but when everything else is so easy to kill you generally save your good removal for her and Hop'hiro.

• Locked thread