Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp

Knightmare posted:

I don't mind using them for the underground tunnel exits, you can plop one down on an exit and then zoom off to do something else. Otherwise yea they're tough to use effectively.

Oh poo poo that's genius. Yeah, that's the perfect use! Take back what I said, that makes them great on a few maps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
Are there no Dino-Mechs in this game?! The Dino-Mechs were kind of dumb in 2017 but the concept (giant godzilla battle) was great.

Silvergun1000
Sep 17, 2007

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.

Polo-Rican posted:

Are there no Dino-Mechs in this game?! The Dino-Mechs were kind of dumb in 2017 but the concept (giant godzilla battle) was great.

Come to think of it, they were in the trailer weren't they? Lame that they didn't make the cut.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Not-godzilla isn't in this game? I thought that's what "unknown" was.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp

Silvergun1000 posted:

Come to think of it, they were in the trailer weren't they? Lame that they didn't make the cut.

Anyone know if they're in one of the yet-unreleased DLC packs?

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

So is this like a Dynasty Warriors game except, you know, really good?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Imagine Dynasty Warriors if the gameplay was occasionally actually challenging and you got ridiculously awesome weapons.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I don't know if it stays useful for long but the Gleipnir laser grenade from the weapon dlc clears out drone/ant swarms faster than anything else I used in normal as a ranger. I use it to farm 13 and the landfall level for wing diver stuff.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Night10194 posted:

Imagine Dynasty Warriors if the gameplay was occasionally actually challenging and you got ridiculously awesome weapons.

This sounds like an inherently better game already, and I've played one too many Dynasty Warrior games.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Any tips for the queen? I have tried with a fencer and a wing diver, wing diver gets ko'd almost immediately, fencer lasts a bit longer behind the shield but the acid bath is just brutal.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

Night10194 posted:

That would imply that Dynasty Warriors doesn't have those things.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

Donkringel posted:

Any tips for the queen? I have tried with a fencer and a wing diver, wing diver gets ko'd almost immediately, fencer lasts a bit longer behind the shield but the acid bath is just brutal.

With wing diver in a wide open area I use my usual answer, the laser lance. Always be zoomin and lancing. Otherwise you'd probably have to plink away with a sniper weapon.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Donkringel posted:

Reflect that poo poo, son. You'll avoid taking any damage from the acid, and actually do damage back to her. If you're good at the timing use a Tower Shield (larger reflection area) if you suck at timing use an Ion Shield (or the Reflector, ideally). Bam, problem solved.

It's funny how major reflecting is for dash cancelling as a Fencer, and yet nobody ever seems to think to use it as a weapon despite how crazy good it is.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Belzac posted:

That would imply that Dynasty Warriors doesn't have those things.

The best Dynasty Warriors game was Warriors Orochi, and this is like that on amphetamines and LSD. It's insanely fun. And a million times more challenging - Dynasty Warriors has never been a very difficult series.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

Reflect that poo poo, son. You'll avoid taking any damage from the acid, and actually do damage back to her. If you're good at the timing use a Tower Shield (larger reflection area) if you suck at timing use an Ion Shield (or the Reflector, ideally). Bam, problem solved.

It's funny how major reflecting is for dash cancelling as a Fencer, and yet nobody ever seems to think to use it as a weapon despite how crazy good it is.

Maybe i just wasnt timing it well; I was wailing on that button while I sobbed to myself.

The tears did little to wash away the acid.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Donkringel posted:

ZE Guns. The answer is always ZE guns.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Donkringel posted:

Maybe i just wasnt timing it well; I was wailing on that button while I sobbed to myself.

The tears did little to wash away the acid.

What shield are you using? An Ion Shield requires very little timing, though the cone it reflects is fairly narrow so you want to be standing as still as you can so you're fully covered by it. The Reflector requires no timing (it's fast as hell, so you can literally just mash and win) and has a bigger cone so you can be a little more mobile.

The Tower Shield is slow as hell, and if you miss you're going to get acid in the face. You might anyway, honestly, just because of how slow it is. A regular Deflection Shield probably isn't too bad, but definitely use an Ion or the Reflector if you can find it.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

What shield are you using? An Ion Shield requires very little timing, though the cone it reflects is fairly narrow so you want to be standing as still as you can so you're fully covered by it. The Reflector requires no timing (it's fast as hell, so you can literally just mash and win) and has a bigger cone so you can be a little more mobile.

The Tower Shield is slow as hell, and if you miss you're going to get acid in the face. You might anyway, honestly, just because of how slow it is. A regular Deflection Shield probably isn't too bad, but definitely use an Ion or the Reflector if you can find it.

I was using deflector 2.

I may try air raider next, I need to get a ze gun drop though.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
I'm at 390 guns collected and still don't have the 50% weapons unlocked achievement. How many guns are in this game?! :catstare:

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

I like playing the wing diver but most other ones are I meet are terrible. Why is this so?

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

GOT A EXTRA TITTY posted:

I like playing the wing diver but most other ones are I meet are terrible. Why is this so?

Terrible how? I have a feeling people are scared to get too close because of the low armor, despite that's where the wing diver shines.

Dantes
Sep 3, 2003
It can never be too cold.

Knightmare posted:

Terrible how? I have a feeling people are scared to get too close because of the low armor, despite that's where the wing diver shines.
Online the threat is not the damage the bugs will do to you, it's the friendly fire.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Dantes posted:

Online the threat is not the damage the bugs will do to you, it's the friendly fire.

This makes up at least half of my deaths as a wing diver. Usually it's some giant gently caress off missile(s) that somebody fired off 30 seconds ago, and finally show up when I'm in the middle of doing my thing. The other half is me miss judging the explosive radius on a plasma launcher or grenade and going in to low for run only to blow myself up.

Oh and sorry everything was such a mess last night G.I. Jose. That's was honestly the most issues I've had with the game. There were some pretty nasty storms going on in my area last night so I'm hoping they were just borking with my internet and it'll be better next time.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It's not just the wing diver. My Ranger deaths fall into 3 categories: Something ran in front of me when I was firing a rocket (majority), retairius (majority of remainder), everything else.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

GOT A EXTRA TITTY posted:

Because playing a wingdiver actually requires actually using some common sense to manage your wing energy, so you aren't left stuck on the ground with guns that won't fire. Most pubbies will just mash on the fly button to get way too far ahead, then end up landing in the middle of a swarm with their energy gone.

Dantes posted:

70% of the time even when you warn people, they'll still stand in that red circle, or actually on any Air Raider strike markers. It's like a idiot beacon.

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?
Now that I think I fixed my controller, added my name to the PS3 list. Kinda new, but if anyone wants to kill all the bugs, feel free to send a request.

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived...

girth brooks part 2 posted:

This makes up at least half of my deaths as a wing diver. Usually it's some giant gently caress off missile(s) that somebody fired off 30 seconds ago, and finally show up when I'm in the middle of doing my thing. The other half is me miss judging the explosive radius on a plasma launcher or grenade and going in to low for run only to blow myself up.

Oh and sorry everything was such a mess last night G.I. Jose. That's was honestly the most issues I've had with the game. There were some pretty nasty storms going on in my area last night so I'm hoping they were just borking with my internet and it'll be better next time.
S'ok. The problems seemed to be all network related.

Your completion percentage and armor levels seem kind of high for someone working on Hard still. Did you grind a lot of the easier difficulties first?

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

FuSchnick posted:

S'ok. The problems seemed to be all network related.

Your completion percentage and armor levels seem kind of high for someone working on Hard still. Did you grind a lot of the easier difficulties first?

I kept restarting on Normal to play as the different classes.

EDIT: And a lot of the time when I couldn't find anyone on the level I was on I'd join up with people who were a few missions before or so before it. I think that probably added up to a lot of grinding on missions I'd already completed.

girth brooks part 2 fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Mar 3, 2014

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Wow. Don't read/watch reviews for this game. The reviewers all seem to be partially brain-dead and unable to figure out a very simple game.

What I mean is that they avoid power-up boxes (despite, I don't know, years of video games since the 80s conditioning us to pick poo poo up), don't seem to get that the Wing Diver's weaponry is powered by the Wing Energy (The Giant Bomb video review is particularly atrocious since there are a bunch of people watching and reviewing it and no one seems to pick up on this).

Also, the Machinima one is pretty bad too, since they're all like BUT TITANFALL while playing it. My thought is... Well why don't you review that instead and stop bitching? It's the worst of unfunny nerds who think they're funny trying to be cool when they're not.

I haven't even touched the game and I get this.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Yeah, it's like a David Lynch movie of video games. Everyone is WHAT IS THIS poo poo, and then us hipsters are all :smug: because we know whats up.

That was a bad analogy, im sorry.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Philthy posted:

Yeah, it's like a David Lynch movie of video games. Everyone is WHAT IS THIS poo poo, and then us hipsters are all :smug: because we know whats up.

I'd love to see David Lynch to produce a completely unpretentious monster movie. The kind where you see the monster within the first five minutes and there's never more than ten minutes between explosions.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Philthy posted:

David Lynch still hasn't forgiven Dune, but I think he can find it in his heart to forgive this.

Especially after playing EDF 2025.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Fix posted:

Oh god gently caress mission 79 forever.

I just beat 79. gently caress 78 more in my personal opinion. I'm running a Ranger, so the bigger amount of space to work with in 79 made it a cakewalk, if a bit lengthy. No grinding so far.

Meanwhile 78, there's just so many Dragons or Hornets right in your face constantly, or diving in from behind right as you pull the trigger that Rockets and Sniper rifles can have a hard time reaching the ships, let alone slamming into something diving right in your face making you blow yourself up if using rockets, since even the longest range sniper rifle can fall short at these city wide distances. There also seemed to be next to no health drops all five times I went through that mission. Five small healths total on my last run, the of those seen as I backtracked to pick up armor with only one enemy left alive.

My winning run I decided to go all or nothing and used the Goliath D1 launcher. 600 Damage... When I have 800 health :black101: While I switched to the more leisurely and safe Stingray M2 dealing 230 a pop for mission 79.

Gonna save 80 for tomorrow, something to look forward to. That and trying to decide what level I can best use this brand new "Splash Grenade" for giggles. Fires 20 grenades at once on a 10 second timer, and I am so bad at using the timed grenades.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

LuiCypher posted:

What I mean is that they avoid power-up boxes (despite, I don't know, years of video games since the 80s conditioning us to pick poo poo up), don't seem to get that the Wing Diver's weaponry is powered by the Wing Energy (The Giant Bomb video review is particularly atrocious since there are a bunch of people watching and reviewing it and no one seems to pick up on this).
Giant Bomb's dudes are generally pretty bad at games so I shouldn't be surprised, but the EDF 2025 quick look was just :psyduck:-worthy because it was like they weren't even trying to play the game properly. I get that EDF is not everyone's cup of tea, but at least make a token effort to read the words on the screen and not skip every goddamn thing that tells you how to play the game.

My favorite part of that QL was Brad basically going "well I guess these buildings aren't destructible, that sucks" after shooting two rockets at a skyscraper. I did like it when buildings would fall down from a single hit and was a bit surprised to see that was no longer the case (with the starting weapons, anyway), but then I solved the problem by shooting more rockets at the building.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
The best part early on is unloading the 14-stock grenade launcher downrange, sending clouds of ants skyward and buildings crumbling left and right. If they don't show something like that off in a review, well, clearly EDF isn't for them. Too ingrained with other shooters' tropes to bother experimenting.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

After having a comically lovely two weeks, I was able to devote a day to break into this game. I rolled Ranger, since the game said it's the easiest class to pick up and the thread indicates the classes only get better from hereon out. I've got two lvl. 20 weapons so far - a Bozor-lite sniper rifle and a Stingray, both at level 20ish.

I've got a few questions before I get into online multi:

*Will my piddly level 20 gear allow me to be of any use to people rolling through Hardest/Inferno?

*Can I use any of the Ranger crap I unlocked on other classes?

*Can I separate the Jump command from the side roll command?

Dantes
Sep 3, 2003
It can never be too cold.
No.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Father Wendigo posted:

After having a comically lovely two weeks, I was able to devote a day to break into this game. I rolled Ranger, since the game said it's the easiest class to pick up and the thread indicates the classes only get better from hereon out. I've got two lvl. 20 weapons so far - a Bozor-lite sniper rifle and a Stingray, both at level 20ish.

I've got a few questions before I get into online multi:

*Will my piddly level 20 gear allow me to be of any use to people rolling through Hardest/Inferno?

*Can I use any of the Ranger crap I unlocked on other classes?

*Can I separate the Jump command from the side roll command?

No, no, and no, unfortunately.

1. You can game the first issue weapons-wise by farming a really early mission in Hardest to get some higher level drops(mission 3 is particularly good because it's effectively a giant flat shooting gallery with nothing but tons of gray ants), with the caveat that this won't fix your massive armor deficiency for higher difficulties(if you're still rolling around at 200-300 armor, stuff on Hardest will one shot you). Armor is unfortunately a gigantic pain in the rear end to get up and either requires ridiculous amounts of playtime or some of the most tedious unfun farming I've ever done in in a video game.

2. Equipment and armor level is specific to class, but you can change classes any time you want. It's a good idea to pick two classes and alternate based on your mood and the needs of the mission because that way you'll ensure a steady stream of "OOH SHINY NEW STUFF" and your armor gain won't suffer too much.

3. Nope.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

quote:

No.

I see. One thing I forgot: is there friendly fire in Online CoOp?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Father Wendigo posted:

I see. One thing I forgot: is there friendly fire in Online CoOp?

You kidding me? Read any part of the thread. It's not a true coop game if you can't blow your buddies up.