Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Shakugan posted:

But Oliver isn't Green Arrow by the same logic.

No, not at all.

Sara isn't Black Canary, Laurel is. Sara is just Canary, and even then not really since she doesn't continue to use that name or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
BLACK Canary has DARK OVERWHELMING emotions.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

No, not at all.

Sara isn't Black Canary, Laurel is. Sara is just Canary, and even then not really since she doesn't continue to use that name or anything.

And Oliver isn't Green Arrow. He's Arrow.

Roy is Green Arrow.

Drifter posted:

BLACK Canary has ALCOHOLISM AND PILLS.

Straight outta the 90s.

edit: To not be an utter shitposter, the Arrow FB page posted the producer's interview for the next episode. We're gonna get the boarding action of the Amazo!
http://cwtv.com/cw-video/arrow/the-promise-producers-preview/?play=4ab2b28a-db0b-4f3d-8ef2-1d6a001ff91d

Warmachine fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Mar 3, 2014

Keeku
Jun 3, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

No, not at all.

Yeah if a character doesn't constantly remind people the name of their superhero identity they lose it.

Sara is also clearly not Black Canary. She only dresses like Black Canary, wears a wig to look like Black Canary, and uses a device to represent Black Canary's 'Canary Cry' ability. Superheroes have never ever had more than one person take on a superhero identity. Until the show writers explicitly spell it out to us, Sara is NOT Black Canary.

But in all seriousness I can't wait until they introduce Green Arrow to this show. He'd fit right in.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
One of Sarah's devices is going to explode and give Laurel the power naturally. Just you wait.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Don't be ridiculous, Laurel is going to take Canary pills and wash them down with a Mirakuru cocktail.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Whizbang posted:

Don't be ridiculous, Laurel is going to take Canary pills and wash them down with a Mirakuru cocktail.

That's what she'll tell herself, at least. With daily doses.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Whizbang posted:

And do the salmon ladder with one arm.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

CeeJee posted:

And do the salmon ladder with one arm.

And it won't even be her arm.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Aphrodite posted:

She's not Black Canary anyway, so they get another go at it.

Why would you name yourself black canary anyway, there is no such thing and she's not black.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Because it's a mourning color thing when Sara dies.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
It's a good thing producers aren't allowed to lie or change their mind or all this talking about Laurel like she's not gonna get bumped off/move to paris would seem desperate.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

SirDan3k posted:

It's a good thing producers aren't allowed to lie or change their mind or all this talking about Laurel like she's not gonna get bumped off/move to paris would seem desperate.

The only way Cassidy stays on the show is if she has an ironclad contract. The fanbase hate her, the critics think she serves no purpose on the show, the writers clearly have no idea what they are doing with her, and Lotz is a better Canary than Cassidy will ever be because of her dance/martial arts background.

I think they missed an opportunity by having her make up with Sarah so quickly. The only interesting way her arc could have gone was for her to hit rockbottom: working for Slade against Sarah and the Arrow.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
Plenty of time for Slade to hire Laurel. She is in need of a job and he is now out in the open.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Aphrodite posted:

Because it's a mourning color thing when Sara dies.

Hey great to know this happens.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

leidend posted:

Hey great to know this happens.

We don't. In the comics Black Canary was first Laurel's mother. We do not know how it will happen in the show.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Shakugan posted:

The only way Cassidy stays on the show is if she has an ironclad contract. The fanbase hate her, the critics think she serves no purpose on the show, the writers clearly have no idea what they are doing with her, and Lotz is a better Canary than Cassidy will ever be because of her dance/martial arts background.

I think they missed an opportunity by having her make up with Sarah so quickly. The only interesting way her arc could have gone was for her to hit rockbottom: working for Slade against Sarah and the Arrow.

So, have you not seen the last couple of episodes?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Deakul posted:

People like their opinions and don't enjoy the effort or continuous analysis and re-opinionating.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Deakul posted:

Just because she's finally doing something not completely worthless doesn't mean people want her to stay as a central character. She's still annoying, and will never come close to being as good of a Canary as Lotz.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I'm watching Supernatural and noticed that Katie Cassidy is in it.

Did she find cocaine or some other drug? Her face is way skinnier and she looks almost unhealthy compared to how she looked in 2008.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Floppychop posted:

Did she find cocaine or some other drug? Her face is way skinnier and she looks almost unhealthy compared to how she looked in 2008.

Word? Neither I, nor anyone else in this thread has noticed that, and expounded on it at length on just about every page of this thread.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

She probably started working out like mad after seeing everyone else her age on Arrow.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

HitTheTargets posted:

I love that they kept the wig from the comics. Even Smallville switched it up so that she had short hair in costume and the wig was part of her civilian cover. Get hosed, realism.

Be fair, "let's do that the exact opposite of the way Smallville did" is generally an impulse to be trusted.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Taffer posted:

Just because she's finally doing something not completely worthless doesn't mean people want her to stay as a central character. She's still annoying, and will never come close to being as good of a Canary as Lotz.

That's not fair, there was that episode where she though Blood was evil. It turned out she was wrong tho, it was all that one cop.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I still think Moira or Detective Lance are much more likely to die than Sarah this season. I'd be shocked if they both make it through this year alive.

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

"I'm a really useful engine!"

VagueRant posted:

I still wish they'd lean more on Green Arrow's left wing origins. We just had an episode in which our "heroic" vigilantes protected banks from a guy who just wanted to pay for American healthcare. :smith:

From several pages back but holy poo poo yes. Maybe someone should complain to Amell he's a chill dude and Canadian. He might be cool with that.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

VagueRant posted:

I still wish they'd lean more on Green Arrow's left wing origins. We just had an episode in which our "heroic" vigilantes protected banks from a guy who just wanted to pay for American healthcare. :smith:

Haha, yes. I caught that, but it was hard to notice in between all the killing and poo poo. I thought the Felicity jealousy arc (:psyduck:) took away from the potential to have them even briefly discuss or react to that issue.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Clock King's goons killed a security guard at Kord Industries and then he risked the lives of a bus full of people so his guys could get away during the second heist. Let's not pretend he was acting nobly. Plus when Oliver got rid of his book of names at the start of the season part of his new M.O. was to stop solely targeting the rich. Maybe a throwaway line about Oliver paying his sister's medical bills would've been nice, but beyond that, the episode is fine.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Floppychop posted:

She played Kate Beckinsale's daughter in a 2006 Adam Sandler movie and was very convincing looks-wise (as Sandler's off-spring not so much).

A blog says the left photo is from January and the right photo is from season 1

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Alas, she was a babe.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

leidend posted:

She played Kate Beckinsale's daughter in a 2006 Adam Sandler movie and was very convincing looks-wise (as Sandler's off-spring not so much).

A blog says the left photo is from January and the right photo is from season 1

Perspective and having an open mouth can do hellish things for comparison's sake, but yeah, it's definitely a thing.

I like how they're fleshing out laurel's character more. Or rather, they're giving her more filled in character actions and rationals for her behaviors.

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

"I'm a really useful engine!"

hcreight posted:

Clock King's goons killed a security guard at Kord Industries and then he risked the lives of a bus full of people so his guys could get away during the second heist. Let's not pretend he was acting nobly. Plus when Oliver got rid of his book of names at the start of the season part of his new M.O. was to stop solely targeting the rich. Maybe a throwaway line about Oliver paying his sister's medical bills would've been nice, but beyond that, the episode is fine.

Oh for sure, and I understand that this is not a show that does subtlety, but given the guy was dying etc, can't afford it, driven to extremes you can at least rationalise it (a bit).

People will do extreme things for love, and given Green Arrow is well known for being a leftist superhero, it might have been nice to have seen this play out differently somehow.

(I do not expect Ollie Felicity and Diggle to be discussing the First International, Kroptkin and Marx each week just so we're clear, but it'd be bold territory to explore)

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Drifter posted:

Perspective and having an open mouth can do hellish things for comparison's sake, but yeah, it's definitely a thing.

I like how they're fleshing out laurel's character more. Or rather, they're giving her more filled in character actions and rationals for her behaviors.

They also need to flesh out Laurel's face.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Bozza posted:

(I do not expect Ollie Felicity and Diggle to be discussing the First International, Kroptkin and Marx each week just so we're clear, but it'd be bold territory to explore)

Gotta save this for Season 3 when the Arrow team crosses over into the Red Son dimension.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

boom boom boom posted:

That's not fair, there was that episode where she though Blood was evil. It turned out she was wrong tho, it was all that one cop.

I still thought she was really annoying in that episode too.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Bozza posted:

From several pages back but holy poo poo yes. Maybe someone should complain to Amell he's a chill dude and Canadian. He might be cool with that.

The means of production (of mirakuru) should be controlled by the masses!

madstrike
Jun 10, 2013

So, Amell posted this photo on FB of tomorrow's episode. Don't click if you hate spoilers!

http://i.imgur.com/QONLdjw.jpg
I guess he's not happy about Slade :p

Merlinicus
May 3, 2011
I only just caught up on last week's episode--for some reason I was thinking the name of that one was Suicide Squad, and was REAL confused at the lack of any relevance to the episode's contents. Turns out that it was all a big misunderstanding, which makes a bit more sense now.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

madstrike posted:

So, Amell posted this photo on FB of tomorrow's episode. Don't click if you hate spoilers!

http://i.imgur.com/QONLdjw.jpg
I guess he's not happy about Slade :p

drat, you know poo poo's getting real when Ollie leaves his bow for a gun. :commissar:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Spergatory posted:

drat, you know poo poo's getting real when Ollie leaves his bow for a gun. :commissar:

Maybe he was just on a ride along with his future father in law. You know, get to know the 'rents better.

• Locked thread