Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

ScarletBrother posted:

I really think that among all the terrible things that the prequels did that midichlorians being the source of the Force was the worst.

I'm beside myself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Conquistador posted:

I'm beside myself

Because you agree or disagree?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

ScarletBrother posted:

Because you agree or disagree?
It was a lame 3P0 joke.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Casimir Radon posted:

It was a lame 3P0 joke.

Aha!

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Auto-resolving battles was terrible but at least there was some vague guidelines and outcomes you could expect. Assassination and kidnapping missions were just completely pure luck, no matter who you send or how many decoys or what. I couldn't assassinate an injured Wedge even though I had the planet blockaded and all enemy defenses destroyed. It was like I was the bad guy in a damned Wraith Squadron novel

And if you were the Empire, you drat well better win the game early because if you get into some kind of stalemate it is only a matter of time before Luke goes :ssj: and captures everyone

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Mar 4, 2014

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

ScarletBrother posted:

I really think that among all the terrible things that the prequels did that midichlorians being the source of the Force was the worst.

I don't think the prequels definitively established midichlorians as the "source" of the Force. Qui-Gon says that they carry the "will of the force" to the beings that have them in their blood, but its not clear if you get midicholrians because you're force sensitive or if you get force sensitivity because you have midichlorians. That's a pretty big distinction.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
I always assumed they were in high concentration in force-sensitive people because they ate off residual force energy, and, like, the more your body could support, the higher your connection. Probably isn't the case, but less stupid.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Conquistador posted:

I'm beside myself

It really is such a drag!

jivjov posted:

I don't think the prequels definitively established midichlorians as the "source" of the Force. Qui-Gon says that they carry the "will of the force" to the beings that have them in their blood, but its not clear if you get midicholrians because you're force sensitive or if you get force sensitivity because you have midichlorians. That's a pretty big distinction.

They couldn't seem to decide. Qui-Gon explains what midi-chlorians are to Anakin when they're leaving Coruscant, but before that (when he transmits Anakin's blood sample to Obi-Wan) it's treated like it measures Force sensitivity, like it's a power level or something.

Where midi-chlorians even mentioned in AOTC or ROTS?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Metal Loaf posted:

They couldn't seem to decide. Qui-Gon explains what midi-chlorians are to Anakin when they're leaving Coruscant, but before that (when he transmits Anakin's blood sample to Obi-Wan) it's treated like it measures Force sensitivity, like it's a power level or something.

It's been a few months since I've watched TPM, but if I remember the dialog correctly, all they get from the blood sample is number of midichlorians, and a reference to the fact that Yoda has less than Anakin. That implies that there's a belief that 'having more midichlorians' is significant, but is it an indicator of "will be a better jedi", "can perform larger and/or more sustained uses of the force", "is 'stronger' on an objective scale", or something else entirely isn't made clear. And that still doesn't address if having Force sensitivity is a symptom of midichlorian infestation, or if having lots of midichlorians is a sign of Force mastery.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Metal Loaf posted:

It's almost as though the Jedi don't actually know and are just bullshitting it.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Metal Loaf posted:

I think they're not mentioned at all in AOTC, and mentioned once in ROTS when Palpatine is talking about how Darth Plagueis could manipulate them to create life.

Honestly, I've kind of mellowed out about midichlorians over the years, I view them the same way that Hiro Protagonist does. I think the Force Gods of Mortis from the Clone Wars show is a much stupider Lucas invention on "how the Force works."

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

astr0man posted:

Rebellion is an awesome game except that the battle system is terrible. I always auto-resolve but the downside is that the auto-resolver will still give you random things like 1 TIE Fighter holds off an entire rebel fleet with multiple mon-cal cruisers and poo poo :downs:

Pfft, that's just a late mission in TIE Fighter :smuggo:

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Baron Soontir Fel would like a word with you.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

So I forgot until now that today is the release of Honor Among Thieves, the new Han Solo book, notable for being written by the pair who did Leviathan's Wake, and for being the last Star Wars book scheduled for release. I think this makes it the first time since 1990 that there is no Star Wars book set on the publishing schedule.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Chairman Capone posted:

So I forgot until now that today is the release of Honor Among Thieves, the new Han Solo book, notable for being written by the pair who did Leviathan's Wake, and for being the last Star Wars book scheduled for release. I think this makes it the first time since 1990 that there is no Star Wars book set on the publishing schedule.

Isn't there a 3rd book in that loose series that Honor Among Thieves is in? I thought we were getting a Leia, Han, and a Luke book?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

There's technically supposed to be a Luke book, but so far at least there's not even a title for it, much less release date, cover, any actual details, etc., so I'm kind of skeptical at this point.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Listening to scoundrels on audio book. I feel the story is very meh, but the audio book treatment makes it alright. Weird how Foley and guy trying to do accents while reading makes a tolerable book into an enjoyable book. Maybe it could make Order 66 from a poo poo book into a tolerable book.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Scoundrels is basically Oceans 11 with Star Wars people iirc

I liked it, except for the end

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Conquistador posted:

Scoundrels is basically Oceans 11 with Star Wars people iirc

I liked it, except for the end

It is pretty much that. Its just really bland.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
And now, the Dark Empire Trilogy is back up and with the correct artwork, plus a few extras!

Let's Read Dark Empire 1
Let's Read Dark Empire 2: Imperial Boogaloo!
Let's Read Empire's End!

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

SeanBeansShako posted:

Rebellion was made in the era of Star Wars where the force just sort of happened and wasn't some badly written blood condition.

Meaning a fuckload of the EU minor characters could become force sensitives and Jedi/Dark Jedi.

Admrial loving OZZEL! WHY DO YOU KEEP BLOCKING LUKE FROM POLISHING OFF CORUESCANTS SHIELDS!? WHY!?

And how the gently caress did you manage to capture 1/3rd of my characters?

>.> I'm still a bit traumatized by that game... I'll go read the Dark Empire series by Ensign Ricky to assuage my deepseated "Oh god"

And it should be noted that half the stuff in DE2 (the tree jedi and that entire planet for example) are one gigantic call back to the Sith War comics where the Jedi Repository was hit by several supernovas and the tree jedi went from "Tree Ent" to just tree to protect some lightsabers from dark Jedi Robbers.

Calax fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Mar 8, 2014

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Calax posted:

Admrial loving OZZEL! WHY DO YOU KEEP BLOCKING LUKE FROM POLISHING OFF CORUESCANTS SHIELDS!? WHY!?

And how the gently caress did you manage to capture 1/3rd of my characters?

>.> I'm still a bit traumatized by that game... I'll go read the Dark Empire series by Ensign Ricky to assuage my deepseated "Oh god"

And it should be noted that half the stuff in DE2 (the tree jedi and that entire planet for example) are one gigantic call back to the Sith War comics where the Jedi Repository was hit by several supernovas and the tree jedi went from "Tree Ent" to just tree to protect some lightsabers from dark Jedi Robbers.

Actually, it was kind of simultaneous. Both were released in '94...but that still doesn't excuse the levels of stupid contained within. Everything in Tales of the Jedi regarding the Sith War is awesome, while Dark Empire suuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Actually, it was kind of simultaneous. Both were released in '94...but that still doesn't excuse the levels of stupid contained within. Everything in Tales of the Jedi regarding the Sith War is awesome, while Dark Empire suuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks.

Don't forget the Exar Kun plotline in the Jedi Academy Trilogy (also released in 1994).

All involved KJA in some way, though I believe Tom Veitch either wrote or co-wrote some of the comics. TOTJ has probably held up best of the three (the Sith War arc probably needed to be a couple of instalments longer than the six issues it got) but that might be because it was completely unique at the time (I'm pretty sure it was the first time any EU media had ever delved into the galaxy's distant past).

They had a very good reason for doing it, but it's a pity Bioware didn't copy the TOTJ aesthetic for KOTOR.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Wasn't BioWare's excuse just their studio head deciding he didn't want to do that aesthetic? Which just resulted in them copying the prequel aesthetic. Which, while I like KOTOR, always irritated me.

As for TOTJ/DE/JAT I think what happened was: Tom Veitch started TOTJ to give some background to the stuff mentioned in Dark Empire. At the same time, KJA was doing JAT, which built off of Dark Empire and was also going to include his own Sith Lord (Exar Kun). When he heard that Veitch was doing a comic to explore the history of the Sith, KJA asked if he could guest-write an issue to deal with Exar Kun, which then spiraled into KJA co-writing the Dark Lords of the Sith arc.

I'm not sure of the specifics but I know that KJA irritated Veitch in some way, which is why Veitch left TOTJ after the Dark Lords comic, so the rest of TOTJ was written entirely by KJA. I know Veitch got angry that KJA didn't follow Veitch's original concept for the overall storyline (which I believe involved a longer war, and Ulic never being redeemed).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Chairman Capone posted:

Wasn't BioWare's excuse just their studio head deciding he didn't want to do that aesthetic? Which just resulted in them copying the prequel aesthetic. Which, while I like KOTOR, always irritated me.

I'd assumed they wanted to attract fans who'd only seen the movies, but I guess that makes sense too.

quote:

I'm not sure of the specifics but I know that KJA irritated Veitch in some way, which is why Veitch left TOTJ after the Dark Lords comic, so the rest of TOTJ was written entirely by KJA. I know Veitch got angry that KJA didn't follow Veitch's original concept for the overall storyline (which I believe involved a longer war, and Ulic never being redeemed).

Huh. That would have been curious, especially since "Redemption" tends to be quite highly regarded.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Turns out that Sith war and Dark Lords of the Sith came out slightly later than Dark Empire and DE2. Although "slightly later" also has them overlapping according to what I read on wookiepedia.

IIRC KJA was going to set the Academy Trilogy after Thrawn, but then got word that Dark Empire was coming out so he had to quickly shove it back in the timeline another year. Which is why there are more references to Thrawn than the Second coming of Palpatine

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Calax posted:

IIRC KJA was going to set the Academy Trilogy after Thrawn, but then got word that Dark Empire was coming out so he had to quickly shove it back in the timeline another year. Which is why there are more references to Thrawn than the Second coming of Palpatine

There are still a lot of references to Dark Empire, though. JAT is one of the few sources that depicted Coruscant being so devastated after the events of Dark Empire. Stuff like the Mon Calamari attack, Vima, and Kam are also present.

I remember back in the 90s, almost every Star Wars website at the time had an FAQ section on 'What book was it where the Emperor returned and Luke went to the dark side?' It was definitely a common enough reference in the Bantam-era books, and I guess back then the concept of comics and books each sharing the same continuity wasn't as well known, or with enough overlap in readership.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
So, I'm doing a re-read of the X-Wing series. I've just gotten past Krytos Trap and there's one thing that bugs me. Stackpole seems to have pretty well established that bothans are basically humans with fur and maybe cat features? How did they go from that to goat people? :psyduck:

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Milky Moor posted:

So, I'm doing a re-read of the X-Wing series. I've just gotten past Krytos Trap and there's one thing that bugs me. Stackpole seems to have pretty well established that bothans are basically humans with fur and maybe cat features? How did they go from that to goat people? :psyduck:

I donno... there were a few bothans in the Xwing comics that came before the books.....

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I think funnily enough the two different versions of the Bothans each come from variants of the Thrawn Trilogy - the human-like ones are described in the books and shown in the sourcebooks that were made to accompany them, while for some reason the comic adaptation of the Thrawn Trilogy then showed the goat-like Bothans which a lot of the later EU went with.

It's not the only time it did this, either - the Thrawn comics show a lot of things that don't match up with the book descriptions. Off the top of my head it shows Karrde looking completely different, and it's the comic version that the rest of the EU seems to have stuck with, rather than the original book one.

Chairman Capone fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Mar 9, 2014

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
Well, it took me three years to do it, but it's finally loving finished.

Let's Read The NEW Rebellion!

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Well, it took me three years to do it, but it's finally loving finished.

Let's Read The NEW Rebellion!

Yessssss! Your Let's Reads are one of the reasons I bought an account here in the first place.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

cptn_dr posted:

Yessssss! Your Let's Reads are one of the reasons I bought an account here in the first place.

I honestly can't tell if this is sarcasm or not.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Ensign_Ricky posted:

I honestly can't tell if this is sarcasm or not.

Nope. I legitimately loved the old Let's Read thread, and it going behind the paywall was one of the reasons that I bought an account.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

cptn_dr posted:

Nope. I legitimately loved the old Let's Read thread, and it going behind the paywall was one of the reasons that I bought an account.

Oh. Well I guess I'm glad I convinced you to give Lowtax :10bux:.

On another note, I want to rant for a minute on something that only occurred to me as I was going back through the Dark Empire trilogy. I understand that RotJ is not one of people's favorite Star Wars films if only because of the Ewoks. (You know what? gently caress the haters, I love the Battle of Endor.:colbert: Although the Battle for Endor can suck a bag of dicks.) But there's one thing I've never heard anyone complain about : Vader's sacrifice to save Luke. It's the moment of his redemption; all the evil, horrible stuff he'd done since being complicit in Mace's death can't entirely be forgiven, but he chose the light side for long enough to do away with the greatest evil in the galaxy.

Except, gently caress you! Turns out that P-Spliffy had a brigade of clones he can transfer his soul into whenever he wants! So instead of destroying the most powerful Sith of all time, all Vader managed was to delay him for a few years so that a guy who looks like a beachball with arms can end him finally. Bra-loving-vo, Tom Veitch.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Hey Ricky, could you add my readthrough of Red Harvest to your blog?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Except, gently caress you! Turns out that P-Spliffy had a brigade of clones he can transfer his soul into whenever he wants! So instead of destroying the most powerful Sith of all time, all Vader managed was to delay him for a few years so that a guy who looks like a beachball with arms can end him finally. Bra-loving-vo, Tom Veitch.

Sure, they came up with the Vong partly because after Palpatine came back from the dead twice the Sith were no longer interesting, and after Thrawn and Zsinj, nor were Imperial warlords. Of course, in the wake of the Great Post-NJO Backpedal(tm), the main villains have been Sith and Imperial warlords, more or less.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I think it's also noteworthy that originally, the Vong were intended on being the original Sith who had then been cut off from the Force.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Speaking of Imperial warlords, Daniel Wallace recently wrote a few entries for the Star Wars blog which invented backstories for a bunch of them.

Apparently one of them was a member of the Ancient Order of Pessimists from one of John Wagner's fifteen year-old Boba Fett comics. :v:

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Mar 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I feel like "Imperial Warlord of the Day" Ala X-Wing was more interesting than the whole Vong Stuff, just because the whole Vong thing felt... not "Star Warsy" I guess, I know rationally that its Sci-Fi and stuff, so it fits, but it doesn't feel right.

Or it could be that X-Wing was just better written and interesting where as Vong stuff was not... yea, that's probably it.