Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cbservo
Dec 26, 2009

by exmarx

Zweihander01 posted:

Or else you'll wind up like this guy:

As far as I could tell, he just laid there like that the entire day.

What character is this, out of curiosity?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Beard? Long hair? Metal?

cbservo posted:

Huuuuuuuuuuuuughes

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
Goddamn, I was just thinking that I'd never seen a decent Lobo costume. Do it!

cbservo posted:

That's Maes Hughes, from Fullmetal Alchemist. An exceptionally bright guy, and absolutely adores his wife and kid. He figures something out he really shouldn't have about the antagonists, and it costs him his life. This hit viewers loving hard, and this was after watching two young brothers fail at resurrecting their dead mother (creating instead something grotesque) and a sleazeball using alchemy (anime magic) to combine his daughter and pet dog into yet another grotesque thing that still sort of has half a brain and can talk arggguuuuhh

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Beard? Long hair? Metal?

Huuuuuuuuuuuuughes

Maybe don't do the naked version of Lobo. Just sayin'.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

CzarChasm posted:

Maybe don't do the naked version of Lobo. Just sayin'.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Welp, I guess I'm getting to work on a Lobo costume. Thanks guys!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Don't forget to call everyone Keezy Fem.

I've wanted to try Cosplaying, but I've always debated what I should go as. My personal dream project for Cosplay would be a Warhammer 40K Stormtrooper or Kasrkin, but I don't know where I'd start.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Arcsquad12 posted:

I've wanted to try Cosplaying, but I've always debated what I should go as. My personal dream project for Cosplay would be a Warhammer 40K Stormtrooper or Kasrkin, but I don't know where I'd start.

You should come on over to the Becoming Something Awful thread for ideas! There's lots of people in there (myself included) who can give you many options for where to start on armor. Warhammer cosplay is my absolute favorite, I just finished a Khorne outfit and I'm moving on to a new 40k one. If I had to pick only one property, I'd be happy doing nothing but Warhammer costumes for the rest of my cosplay days.

EdsTeioh posted:

Touché ma'am. My problem with those IP's is that, if not done really well, end up just looking like some SCAer. Also, I know you get told this all the time, but your marine armor RULES.
Aww thanks, still makes me blush like a girl every time. :3:

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Arcsquad12 posted:

My buddy ManBeast does one. He uses a set of Aliens Colonial Marine armor and painted it up with a bunch aquilas and SKULLZ and wears a beret with an Aquila pin and MORE SKULLZ. I'm pretty sure he repainted a Nerf N-Strike gun that makes a really decent bolt pistol.

In other words, get on it!!!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

EdsTeioh posted:

Welp, I guess I'm getting to work on a Lobo costume. Thanks guys!

Essentials for Lobo cosplay:

1) Big hair. Long is good but it needs to be BIG. Like, 80s hair metal big.
2) Red contacts. Get them properly fitted, wear them a bit before the con to get used to them.
3) Giant boots. Must have huge kneepads and/or skulls.

OPTIONAL
3)Get a ratty bulldog or a guy in a gorilla costume to follow you around all day.

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Goddamn, I was just thinking that I'd never seen a decent Lobo costume.

This is probably the best I've seen:

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 02:11 on Mar 4, 2014

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

That cosplay is pretty Aladeen.

:geno:

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Essentials for Lobo cosplay:

1) Big hair. Long is good but it needs to be BIG. Like, 80s hair metal big.
2) Red contacts. Get them properly fitted, wear them a bit before the con to get used to them.
3) Giant boots. Must have huge kneepads and/or skulls.

OPTIONAL
3)Get a ratty bulldog or a guy in a gorilla costume to follow you around all day.

This is probably the best I've seen:

Good god, that's wonderful.

A note on contacts: Please watch out for your eyes. Plenty of cosplayers buy cheap Chinese lenses and have no problems, but there is always a risk when you wear something that literally sits on your eyeball. If you regularly get eye exams for myopia or whatever, you can have your optometrist order fun lenses fitted for your eyes, which will reduce strain and the likelihood of complications. Seriously, even the Walmart optometrists have a dusty catalog of opaque lenses they get orders for once in a blue moon that will suit you far better than ordering from some company whose name you can't pronounce.

If you are lucky enough to not need corrective lenses but want cosmetic contacts for cosplay, I'd highly recommend getting a contact lens eye exam by a licensed optometrist and ordering through him or her. As I said before, you can get away with the cheap stuff online, but holy cow, when it goes wrong, it goes really wrong. They're your eyes, please take care of them :ohdear:

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

A note on contacts: Please watch out for your eyes. Plenty of cosplayers buy cheap Chinese lenses and have no problems, but there is always a risk when you wear something that literally sits on your eyeball. If you regularly get eye exams for myopia or whatever, you can have your optometrist order fun lenses fitted for your eyes, which will reduce strain and the likelihood of complications. Seriously, even the Walmart optometrists have a dusty catalog of opaque lenses they get orders for once in a blue moon that will suit you far better than ordering from some company whose name you can't pronounce.

If you are lucky enough to not need corrective lenses but want cosmetic contacts for cosplay, I'd highly recommend getting a contact lens eye exam by a licensed optometrist and ordering through him or her. As I said before, you can get away with the cheap stuff online, but holy cow, when it goes wrong, it goes really wrong. They're your eyes, please take care of them :ohdear:

Holy poo poo I never thought of that, and while I don't Cosplay, all those people that I see that are wearing these lenses, if they are getting it from some random online store. I shudder at the thought.

wezmon
Dec 31, 2007

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Yeah, everyone listen to this person. I work in an Optometry clinic in Australia, and a few years back we had someone who borrowed their friend's novelty contacts at a party. I'm sure that hands wren't washed before handling the lenses or something, because when she came in to our practice... man... you would not believe how miserable someone with an eye infection can look. It took a good couple of weeks to clear up too. She was having to put medicated drops in every 2 hours initially, and that involved setting alarms to wake her up through the night. I'm not sure she recovered with 100% of her vision, either.

Seriously, chances are you'll get away with it occasionally, but it ain't worth the risk.

Edit: Ooh! I just remembered one that was probably more relevant. This patient bought overseas lenses that were ultra crappy, and split with the slightest mishandling. She ended up with a sliver that split off from the main bit and slid under her eyelid and sat there irritating for a few days while she thought she'd just scratched her eye. Eventually there was either an allergic reaction, or bugs set in and... it went about as well as you'd expect. :cry:

wezmon has a new favorite as of 07:31 on Mar 4, 2014

ToyotaThong
Oct 29, 2011

EdsTeioh posted:

My buddy ManBeast does one. He uses a set of Aliens Colonial Marine armor and painted it up with a bunch aquilas and SKULLZ and wears a beret with an Aquila pin and MORE SKULLZ. I'm pretty sure he repainted a Nerf N-Strike gun that makes a really decent bolt pistol.

In other words, get on it!!!

There you go.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

ToyotaThong posted:

There you go.

The repainted Longstrike is a cosplay classic, though I think we'll be seeing a lot of the Rapidstrike repainted as an Aliens pulse rifle.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

ToyotaThong posted:

There you go.

Fancy! That is indeed the ManBeast.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Technically "fem" is only for women. Though I suppose calling some dude in a Superman outfit "little girl" is well within Lobo's character.

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

All is, if i have grace to use it so...
Lobo's also a character that if you don't naturally sound like "gravel tumbling around in a cement mixer" you might want to do a bit of vocal practice while you're working on the costume.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Dr. MonkeyThunder posted:

Lobo's also a character that if you don't naturally sound like "gravel tumbling around in a cement mixer" you might want to do a bit of vocal practice while you're working on the costume.

Or just go to a really loud club the night before and try to have a conversation with a friend.

May Contain Nuts
Sep 12, 2007

but still delicious
Took these at Katsucon a month ago.

Friday of Katsu was on Valentine's Day

He was handing out these

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

CzarChasm posted:

Technically "fem" is only for women. Though I suppose calling some dude in a Superman outfit "little girl" is well within Lobo's character.

Keezy Man just sounds dumb, though.

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

All is, if i have grace to use it so...

Arcsquad12 posted:

Keezy Man just sounds dumb, though.

Doesn't he usually just call men "Bastich", "Fraghead", or some other alien psudo-swear?

Something else to remember if you actually decide to be in character for any extended period of time, Lobo isn't stupid. He can speak 17,897 galactic languages, engineer all sorts of WMDs, and fix spacecraft & time machines with hand tools. He's just the most intellectually lazy character in the entire DC universe. The difference is that he generally knows what's going on, even when techno-babble starts flying, and it wouldn't be out of character for him to kick a tardis like a tire on a used car and call it a "Frakken piece o' Skrat".

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Dr. MonkeyThunder posted:

Doesn't he usually just call men "Bastich", "Fraghead", or some other alien psudo-swear?

Does he also say "hoop" for rear end? Because "Bastich" and "Fraghead" are Shadowrun psuedo-swears.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Pope Guilty posted:

Does he also say "hoop" for rear end? Because "Bastich" and "Fraghead" are Shadowrun psuedo-swears.

Lobo pre-dates Shadowrun by 6 years

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Ferrule posted:

Lobo pre-dates Shadowrun by 6 years

Roman Moroni predated the 'new' Lobo by 6 years.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
This week's mystery... ARSON

Penny Paper
Dec 31, 2012

boo_radley posted:

Usually when I hear about the Mystery Machine having smoke around it, it's a joke about how Shaggy and Scooby are stoners.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

boo_radley posted:

RUH ROH!

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

boo_radley posted:

Scrolling down made this perfect, I read your comment, saw the smoke, and then... the magic happened.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Edmond Dantes posted:

Scrolling down made this perfect, I read your comment, saw the smoke, and then... the magic happened.

You could say the same thing for the post above yours. God drat that's awkward.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.

Themankeepsmedown.jpg

CynCyanide
Mar 21, 2005

dance, water, dance!
I didn't think there would would be any attempts at The Corinthian since, you know, he doesn't have eyes. I was wrong.

Although that third one probably only works at that angle.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Am I imagining things, or are those all women?

(terrifying, terrifying women)

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

Choco1980 posted:

Am I imagining things, or are those all women?

(terrifying, terrifying women)

I hope you get over your fear of women soon. They aren't that bad. Some of them are even quite pleasant.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

contrapants posted:

I hope you get over your fear of women soon. They aren't that bad. Some of them are even quite pleasant.

Hahah look at this person who's never been married to one.

Pretty drat cool. The second one is curious and would like to know how he managed vision.

In the books he's a pretty slim dude so it works just fine.

I wonder how many Playlands you see at cons. NonIronically probably a ton.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

CynCyanide posted:

I didn't think there would would be any attempts at The Corinthian since, you know, he doesn't have eyes. I was wrong.

Although that third one probably only works at that angle.

For a moment I thought this was Silent Hill 2 HD cosplay. Little bit disappointed that it's not.

CynCyanide
Mar 21, 2005

dance, water, dance!

LingcodKilla posted:

Hahah look at this person who's never been married to one.

Pretty drat cool. The second one is curious and would like to know how he managed vision.

In the books he's a pretty slim dude so it works just fine.

I wonder how many Playlands you see at cons. NonIronically probably a ton.

I'm guessing they only popped the teeth on for photos. In trying to find out how that person did it, I found a group shot of some other Sandman characters:

Despair is pretty instantly recognizable.

Firstscion
Apr 11, 2008

Born Lucky

CynCyanide posted:

I'm guessing they only popped the teeth on for photos. In trying to find out how that person did it, I found a group shot of some other Sandman characters:

Desire looks pretty awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

CynCyanide posted:

There are also sites that sell sclera contacts for the same effect. You can probably actually see out of them too!

CynCyanide posted:

I like Destruction's giant platform boots.

• Locked thread