Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I've switched over to NST Diet since I couldn't figure out what was going on in my NST world. I assume some chunk just got hosed from all my shenanigans. So that doesn't have MystCraft either? I never tried that mod so I was wondering what I might have been missing. Why is Natura not in there? I don't entirely care since I just cheated myself a ton of stuff, as if I am ... traveling cross mod dimension or something. However, when starting out, Natura gives me a lot of alternative food sources so I'm not running down animals with a wooden sword.

What is with gascraft? Can I expect while digging down to bedrock that I'm going to hit a gas pocket and explode?

Is there oil in diet? How do I pump stuff?

Also, of course, is the problem in my last post with my compression dynamos. Just sayin' . . .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
By request:
Effector Fields 1.6.4 R 0.1.2
Nothing significant, cleaned up some debug code left active by accident that was spamming the server console.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Anyone know of a good mod that adds wagons and carts to 1.6.4?

Me and some friends want to do a series of videos and the theme demands we have a wagon or cart mod. Otherwise we'll have to knock one together in Flans or something.

Scottishprog
Jun 30, 2012
Macheat,

I am requesting one final update for the "fat" version of NST...

Working on a world I don't want to abandon just yet... (One last hurrah for RC boilers - not as good as they used to be :suicide:)

If no further updates are in the works, I will just use the pack as the basis for my private modpack.

On a separate note, I would like to have something GregTech like - minus all the grinding. I like building all the complex processing chains etc., but don't like to go on Nether Star hunts.

Sunblood
Mar 12, 2006

I'm a freakin' blur here!

Scottishprog posted:

On a separate note, I would like to have something GregTech like - minus all the grinding. I like building all the complex processing chains etc., but don't like to go on Nether Star hunts.

Sounds like Mekanism 6 is right up your alley. It adds 4x and 5x ore processing lines which are quite complex.

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

Sunblood posted:

Sounds like Mekanism 6 is right up your alley. It adds 4x and 5x ore processing lines which are quite complex.

Upthread there was a description of the 16 step process to do the 5x thing.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Ego Trip posted:

Upthread there was a description of the 16 step process to do the 5x thing.

Wouldn't it be cheaper/faster to just build a second quarry?

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

Hi I'm setting an mcpc server up for the first time for me and some friends but I'm having a bit of trouble from the client side. The only thing I'm running on the server currently is mcpc-plus-1.6.4-R2.1-forge965-B249.jar with OpenBlocks-1.2.5.jar and OpenModsLib-0.2.jar in the server 'mods' folder. On the client side I'm using technic.

Everything starts up fine in technic as far as trying to connect to the server until I get the error "You do not have FML installed, you cannot connect to this server". Fair enough, so I added the latest forge (forge-1.6.4-9.11.1.965-universal.jar) to the modpack. Still getting the same error though :(

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Rutibex posted:

Then even more resources would go to waste un-quintupled :ohdear:

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

Feral Integral posted:

Hi I'm setting an mcpc server up for the first time for me and some friends but I'm having a bit of trouble from the client side. The only thing I'm running on the server currently is mcpc-plus-1.6.4-R2.1-forge965-B249.jar with OpenBlocks-1.2.5.jar and OpenModsLib-0.2.jar in the server 'mods' folder. On the client side I'm using technic.

Everything starts up fine in technic as far as trying to connect to the server until I get the error "You do not have FML installed, you cannot connect to this server". Fair enough, so I added the latest forge (forge-1.6.4-9.11.1.965-universal.jar) to the modpack. Still getting the same error though :(

You need to have the same mods on both client and server.

When you say you're using Technic, do you mean you're using Tekkit, or that you're using the launcher and a pack of your own creation? I've read your post a few times now and I still have no idea what's going on.

edit: you also have to actually install Forge, not just drop it into the pack folder or whatever. But yeah, more information would be helpful.

King Hotpants fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Mar 4, 2014

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Rutibex posted:

You forget the very first precept of Minecraft: Thou Build Because It Exists! :colbert:

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

King Hotpants posted:

You need to have the same mods on both client and server, and ideally your modpack and the version of MCPC+ you're using are both built off of the same version of Forge.

When you say you're using Technic, do you mean you're using Tekkit, or that you're using the launcher and a pack of your own creation? I've read your post a few times now and I still have no idea what's going on.

Yeah I'm using the Technic launcher with my own modpack hosted on dropbox. On the server, I'm using the mcpc from here with only these two files in the mod folder: OpenBlocks-1.2.5.jar OpenModsLib-0.2.jar . I start the server and it comes up fine. In the log theres the line:
code:
[INFO] MinecraftForge v9.11.1.965 Initialized

Now in my hosted modpack.zip, I have the files: forge-1.6.4-9.11.1.965-universal.jar and OpenBlocks-1.2.5.jar

edit:

King Hotpants posted:

edit: you also have to actually install Forge, not just drop it into the pack folder or whatever. But yeah, more information would be helpful.
Wait does the client have to install forge manually, like drop it into their minecraft.jar and poo poo? I thought technic took care loading that up?

Never mind managed to get it right in the end, thanks everyone. This uniquely not-terrible youtube tutorial was helpful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOD3eOQ1Wsc

Feral Integral fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Mar 4, 2014

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
Here's the how to on creating a modpack. I think you've put things in the wrong places.
http://www.technicpack.net/article/view/building-your-own-modpack.7

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

Feral Integral posted:

Now in my hosted modpack.zip, I have the files: forge-1.6.4-9.11.1.965-universal.jar and OpenBlocks-1.2.5.jar

edit:

Wait do I have to have the client install forge manually, like drop it into their minecraft.jar and poo poo? I thought technic took care loading that up?

Technic does not make the modpack for you. Technic is a modpack distribution platform.

Take that Forge .jar and rename it to "modpack.jar". Put that in the /bin folder of your modpack. Put the Openblocks stuff in the /mods folder. If you start adding more mods, you will eventually want to start including premade /config files, as well, but with just one mod I'm pretty sure you can skip it. Zip all that up and try again.

edit: Gerdalti beat me to it.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

With NST Diet I'm trying to set up for compression dynamos to run off of some biofuel. For whatever reason, it won't feed some of the dynamos. Oddly enough, the ones closer to the generator seem to get starved. Here's a screenshot of the gordian knot I made:

It's two rows of 3 dynamos. Water runs between them from the roof. Power comes out the top of the dynamos. The biofuel is going around the outer sides.

Well that fluiduct system isn't full, so your problem is the dynamos are using more than the reactor makes. Don't ask me why the ones closer are getting starved rather than the ones further away.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

With NST Diet I'm trying to set up for compression dynamos to run off of some biofuel. For whatever reason, it won't feed some of the dynamos. Oddly enough, the ones closer to the generator seem to get starved. Here's a screenshot of the gordian knot I made:

It's two rows of 3 dynamos. Water runs between them from the roof. Power comes out the top of the dynamos. The biofuel is going around the outer sides.

Are you sure the bioreactor is outputting enough fuel? Even if you have a maximum-diversity bioreactor they spit out fuel really damned slowly.

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

King Hotpants posted:

Technic does not make the modpack for you. Technic is a modpack distribution platform.

Take that Forge .jar and rename it to "modpack.jar". Put that in the /bin folder of your modpack. Put the Openblocks stuff in the /mods folder. If you start adding more mods, you will eventually want to start including premade /config files, as well, but with just one mod I'm pretty sure you can skip it. Zip all that up and try again.

edit: Gerdalti beat me to it.

Sorry, I wasn't clear on how my modpack.zip looked. I think I had the bin/ folder wrong so now it looks like:

code:
modpack/
  bin/
    minecraft.jar (with contents of forge-1.6.4-9.11.1.965-universal.jar)
  configs/ (empty)
  coremod/ (empty)
  mods/
    OpenBlocks-1.2.5.jar
Now I receive a "Connection Lost, Failed to Login: Bad Login" error when trying to connect to my server from the client. Tried logging out and then logging back in, but didn't fix the error. Any idea?

edit: Should I be using the mcpc-plus-1.6.4-R2.1-forge965-B249.jar files in bin/minecraft.jar instead of the forge files? The contents of it look more like these files from the page posted earlier.

edit: nah same "bad connection" error

edit: Thanks for all your help hotpants king! Seriously, you're awesome

Feral Integral fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Mar 4, 2014

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!

Rutibex posted:

Way way cheaper in about every conceivably way. It was fun to do it once, however I am not sure I would take the time to do it again. Unless I was setting up a central ore processing plant for a large number of people.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
So, I have a brother who is almost eleven, who loves Minecraft. He has asked me repeatedly about how mods work. I sat down with him and about two hours and several downloads later, I had completely failed to mod anything. The sources I found told me to download the "Magic Launcher", as well as a convoluted process of putting mod files into a specific folder within a folder, or replacing a file with a modded one, and then running it through the Launcher and starting up the game.

I tried about three different methods and several tutorials and could not even manage to add something simple, like an Assassin's Creed skin + some items. I felt like a complete idiot, since apparently Minecraft modding makes perfect sense to kids much younger than me.

Is there any simplified process for booting up mods? I just want my brother to be happy and enjoy the same stuff all his favorite LP channels do.

Sunblood
Mar 12, 2006

I'm a freakin' blur here!

Excels posted:

So, I have a brother who is almost eleven, who loves Minecraft. He has asked me repeatedly about how mods work. I sat down with him and about two hours and several downloads later, I had completely failed to mod anything. The sources I found told me to download the "Magic Launcher", as well as a convoluted process of putting mod files into a specific folder within a folder, or replacing a file with a modded one, and then running it through the Launcher and starting up the game.

I tried about three different methods and several tutorials and could not even manage to add something simple, like an Assassin's Creed skin + some items. I felt like a complete idiot, since apparently Minecraft modding makes perfect sense to kids much younger than me.

Is there any simplified process for booting up mods? I just want my brother to be happy and enjoy the same stuff all his favorite LP channels do.

http://www.technicpack.net/
This is as easy as it gets. Check out the Tekkit pack for a well-rounded modpack. It's as easy as putting in your Minecraft login and hitting "Play."

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

Feral Integral posted:

edit: Should I be using the mcpc-plus-1.6.4-R2.1-forge965-B249.jar files in bin/minecraft.jar instead of the forge files? The contents of it look more like these files from the page posted earlier.

edit: nah same "bad connection" error

Take the actual Forge .jar that you downloaded.

Re-name that sucker "modpack.jar".

Put it in your /bin folder.

You're done.

You don't need to distribute minecraft.jar. You should not be including the mcpc+ .jar with your client.

"Bad Login" is a separate thing. Close the launcher and all instances of Minecraft, then start the launcher again.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

Sunblood posted:

http://www.technicpack.net/
This is as easy as it gets. Check out the Tekkit pack for a well-rounded modpack. It's as easy as putting in your Minecraft login and hitting "Play."

I'll try to get this working next time I see him then. Thank you!

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
I feel its also worth pointing out that MultiMC is a thing again.

http://multimc.org/

It makes installing forge easier still, after that, dropping mods into the mod folder and using Idfixer minus should solve a chunk of the headache. Will still need pruning regardless.

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1928632-164smpforge-idfix-and-idfix-minus-mods-for-resolving-id-conflicts/

Irrelevant of both, Technic really is the way to go. :haw: This just lets you fine tune the modpack if he wants a specific mod + a bunch of others. You can very comfortably copy Technic packs into a MultiMC instance and tweak it to your hearts content too.

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Insufferable measure of firewood

Shadowmorn posted:

I feel its also worth pointing out that MultiMC is a thing again.

http://multimc.org/

It makes installing forge easier still, after that, dropping mods into the mod folder and using Idfixer minus should solve a chunk of the headache. Will still need pruning regardless.

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1928632-164smpforge-idfix-and-idfix-minus-mods-for-resolving-id-conflicts/

Irrelevant of both, Technic really is the way to go. :haw: This just lets you fine tune the modpack if he wants a specific mod + a bunch of others. You can very comfortably copy Technic packs into a MultiMC instance and tweak it to your hearts content too.

With great tools like Solder and the Technic Launcher, I'm not sure why development continues on MultiMC. It just seems like wasted effort, to me.

Probably because it requires rubbing a few brain cells together to use them properly.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Alkydere posted:

Are you sure the bioreactor is outputting enough fuel? Even if you have a maximum-diversity bioreactor they spit out fuel really damned slowly.

I figured that out last night, but didn't write back because I assume the thread just went past that point. Sorry. :( It looks like I need one bioreactor per pair of compression dynamos. With 3 of them, I could keep 6 dynamos busy. It sure takes a lot of stuff to feed it; I was just cramming stuff in with NEI cheat mode on to see how it would work. How large of a farm would I need to keep these things fed?

wylker
Jul 7, 2009

This is not how I envisioned this working out.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I figured that out last night, but didn't write back because I assume the thread just went past that point. Sorry. :( It looks like I need one bioreactor per pair of compression dynamos. With 3 of them, I could keep 6 dynamos busy. It sure takes a lot of stuff to feed it; I was just cramming stuff in with NEI cheat mode on to see how it would work. How large of a farm would I need to keep these things fed?

They actually use up resources fairly slow if you have 9 different types of things in them. It's really about having 9 full stacks in it at all times then you don't need huge farms just several different ones.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

mechaet posted:

With great tools like Solder and the Technic Launcher, I'm not sure why development continues on MultiMC. It just seems like wasted effort, to me.

Probably because it requires rubbing a few brain cells together to use them properly.

Never tried Solder out, but i just use MultiMC for single player dickery.

Also:

https://twitter.com/minecraftcpw/status/440945768846073856

Which one was CPW again?

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

KakerMix posted:

Really the only person that can't leave Minecraft modding is cpw, because if he leaves then modding as we know it dies right then and there.

That's CPW.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

I can't wait to see where this goes.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Boom.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Shadowmorn posted:

Never tried Solder out, but i just use MultiMC for single player dickery.

Also:

https://twitter.com/minecraftcpw/status/440945768846073856

Which one was CPW again?

The one that isn't LexManos. In other words, the sane one who actually works the code -- not the one who spends all day bitching at people on their forums. Sad to see him go, but glad this will free him up for paying work. Guy is talented as all hell.

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Insufferable measure of firewood

EricFate posted:

The one that isn't LexManos. In other words, the sane one who actually works the code -- not the one who spends all day bitching at people on their forums. Sad to see him go, but glad this will free him up for paying work. Guy is talented as all hell.

So I'm guessing he wasn't part of the deal with LexManos and the FTB guys for Curse?

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
RIP minecraft modding.

Limerick
Oct 23, 2009

:parrot:

SugarAddict posted:

RIP minecraft modding.
gently caress. I was just starting to get somewhere with it. :negative:

Vib Rib posted:

Actually, speaking of Nether Stars, I can't help but notice that Nether Stars and Ender Pearls are used by like, virtually every mod. Nether Stars are everyone's favorite choice for a really expensive item and Ender Pearls are the go-to rare items. Which kind of sucks because so few mods (and even modpacks) have a way of getting them outside of the normal means. So you're going to be hunting and farming endermen nonstop until you can get a Looting III Sword/MFR Autospawner setup (which needs 4 ender pearls)/Magic Crop Seeds (which also need 4 ender pearls)/etc.

Rarity on ender pearls is such a weird thing. The second you get to the End suddenly they're as plentiful as dirt, especially with a looting sword. You'll be swimming in them. But those first 4-8 pearls the mods will demand of you can be grueling or totally incidental, depending on drop rate and just random incidence. I wish so many mods didn't rely on these weird item balances.

The mod I'm workin' on will have some renewable method of getting ender pearls once you have a small starting stock of ender pearls (like, say, 2 to 4) to spend. The plan is to have some sort of machine that, when used with a heroic amount of RF on a nether portal, causes the portal blocks to solidify into something which you can then centrifuge into ender pearl dust. And, yeah, there's Ender Ore.

What I take away from this, though, is that more mods should use Ghast Tears as the go-to rare resource. :v:

(Nether Stars are a bullshit requirement unless you have TCon for the cleavers / beheading)

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Limerick posted:

What I take away from this, though, is that more mods should use Ghast Tears as the go-to rare resource. :v:

Gahhhh for whatever reason ghasts seem hard to find on the pack I've been using.

So yes, good go-to RARE resource. :cry:

Vanmani
Jul 2, 2007
Who needs title text, anyway?
I've been mucking around with Attack of the B-Team a bit lately, and I'm left thinking it would be a pretty good pack for a PvP server. There's not much in the way of massive lag generators and most things are ultra casual so that when you lose it all to a raid or in glorious battle it's not that big a deal.

Anyone care to point out why I'm wrong? Would people want a B-Team PvP server? Perhaps you have your own ideas about the perfect PvP modpack?

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

mechaet posted:

It's more likely because MultiMC is an offline solution designed for individual use, while the Technic Platform is designed to distribute mods to others. I'm surprised you don't use MultiMC to build NST versions, it's really handy to have every single version at hand in case you need to go back for whatever reason.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

Vanmani posted:

I've been mucking around with Attack of the B-Team a bit lately, and I'm left thinking it would be a pretty good pack for a PvP server. There's not much in the way of massive lag generators and most things are ultra casual so that when you lose it all to a raid or in glorious battle it's not that big a deal.

Anyone care to point out why I'm wrong? Would people want a B-Team PvP server? Perhaps you have your own ideas about the perfect PvP modpack?

The pack itself is pretty rough on the server hosting it. It has a lot of "spawn lots of mobs" and "farm lots of mobs" type things going on. It's also pretty crash prone.

However, I agree, it does have lots of grief/pvp potential.

wylker
Jul 7, 2009

This is not how I envisioned this working out.
No offense to CPW but this won't be the end of minecraft modding. There will be someone else that will step up into the void. We'll probably see a lull since the Curse thing + frustration with 1.8 + CPW retiring is all happening at ABOUT the same time. However the void left behind will give someone else the opportunity to say 'hrmm I wonder if I can ....' and all will be exciting and new and shiny in the world again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
If anything else, Mojang will fill that void in time.

• Locked thread