Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

b0nes posted:

How come sugar free gummy worms and bears are not as flexible and soft as regular sugar sweetened ones?

My Google isn't strong, but apparently eating a large handful of these has a laxative effect.

Haribo 5LBs Sugar-Free Gummy Bears

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

SlayVus posted:

My Google isn't strong, but apparently eating a large handful of these has a laxative effect.

Haribo 5LBs Sugar-Free Gummy Bears

Thanks, but that doesn't have anything to do with what I asked.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

b0nes posted:

How come sugar free gummy worms and bears are not as flexible and soft as regular sugar sweetened ones?

The sugar substitutes usually present simply aren't as adaptable to varying textures and consistencies as the various kinds of sugar are. It's similar to the reason that many baked goods made without sugar can have a problem of being too moist or too dry compared to how the baked item is supposed to be.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
When a guy or a girl says they are looking for a short term relationship, what does that mean exactly? And why would you tell someone that in the beginning? I do understand why people don't want to get married. But are there people who date a person for x amount of months then get bored and dissolve the relationship to be with someone else?

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

b0nes posted:

When a guy or a girl says they are looking for a short term relationship, what does that mean exactly? And why would you tell someone that in the beginning? I do understand why people don't want to get married. But are there people who date a person for x amount of months then get bored and dissolve the relationship to be with someone else?

It generally means they are unsure of their future situation (maybe they're looking for a job and may have to move), and while they'd like a fun person to hang out with and maybe fool around, they're letting you know up front it likely won't work out. Sometimes it can also mean they just don't want a serious or romantic relationship, and while it's a bad way of communicating that, some people don't use more accurate terms like "friends with benefits" because of social mores.

hoobajoo fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Mar 2, 2014

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

Ror posted:

Is there any difference between a fat 16oz bottle of propane from the cooking/camping section that costs $3.60 and the skinny 14oz bottles than cost $6 a few aisles over in hardware next to the torches and welding accessories? Can I use a screw-on torch attachment on the stubby bottles just as safely? It seems like the only difference is it's not as nice to hold.

I use both kinds interchangeably for my propane camp stove. I prefer the fat green ones - they seem to last considerably longer. They do have more propane in them (16oz vs 14) but in my experience they last like twice as long. Longer than you would expect for a 2 oz difference. But yes they should both work since they use the same type of attachment.

Syjefroi
Oct 6, 2003

I'll play it first and tell you what it is later.
This might be too broad a question, but how many times a day (or week if it's easier) would a particular commercial air on American tv? I'm having trouble finding numbers on this. I'd be interested in numbers on both regional commercials and national commercials.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Syjefroi posted:

This might be too broad a question, but how many times a day (or week if it's easier) would a particular commercial air on American tv? I'm having trouble finding numbers on this. I'd be interested in numbers on both regional commercials and national commercials.

It directly scales to how much gets spent. A very expensive commercial campaign could air twice an hour per channel for several hours straight across multiple channels. In contrast something like an ad for a local store might air once a day on a single channel.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Is there anything out there that could look at my mp3 library and tell me which artists are playing shows near me?

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

El_Elegante posted:

Is there anything out there that could look at my mp3 library and tell me which artists are playing shows near me?

I think songkick does this.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

El_Elegante posted:

Tuneup is supposed to do this for iTunes as well.

I think that Ping thing on iTunes was also supposed to do that. RIP ping. :(

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I've been reading Al-Jazeera online for some time now on my phone. I realized they came through with having an American station. Did they actually fulfill that other promise of objective and critical news, or did they end up being more of the same?

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

El_Elegante posted:

Bandsintown is another option.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Install Windows posted:

It directly scales to how much gets spent. A very expensive commercial campaign could air twice an hour per channel for several hours straight across multiple channels. In contrast something like an ad for a local store might air once a day on a single channel.
It should be noted that, like with anything, the more you buy, the cheaper the per-unit cost is. If you run an ad once a day at 6:20pm during the news, it might be $250/spot. But if you are Cash For Gold and you run a spot during every break 24/7, you might pay $50 for the spot adjacent to the $250 spot.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Avocados posted:

I've been reading Al-Jazeera online for some time now on my phone. I realized they came through with having an American station. Did they actually fulfill that other promise of objective and critical news, or did they end up being more of the same?

"Objective news" is nothing more than a marketing buzzword. They're called news "stories" for a reason, someone is telling you because they want you to know. And especially on TV, when they're telling you one story, they've made a decision not to tell you other stories which is another form of bias.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

greazeball posted:

"Objective news" is nothing more than a marketing buzzword. They're called news "stories" for a reason, someone is telling you because they want you to know. And especially on TV, when they're telling you one story, they've made a decision not to tell you other stories which is another form of bias.

I assume they know that, it's just that for a while Al-Jazeera offered a far more even handed approach to news that wasn't about the Middle-East/Qatar. Certainly when compared to national broadcasters like CNN and Fox.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Jeza posted:

I assume they know that, it's just that for a while Al-Jazeera offered a far more even handed approach to news that wasn't about the Middle-East/Qatar. Certainly when compared to national broadcasters like CNN and Fox.

For what it's worth, CNN's International division has basically none of the bullshit CNN domestic does. It's hard to get CNN International on most TV systems though you can easily get it on their website.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Install Windows posted:

For what it's worth, CNN's International division has basically none of the bullshit CNN domestic does. It's hard to get CNN International on most TV systems though you can easily get it on their website.

This is very true. I was shocked the first time I watched CNN International and it wasn't complete poo poo. Still horribly biased. I was watching it in Cuba, as they discussed the "state of tension" around the official transfer of power to Raul Castro, and I still have no idea where they were even pretending to get their information. If you went outside, you couldn't tell anything was going on, and precisely no one seemed to give a poo poo one way or the other.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Who was the Black guy in Ellen's famous tweeted photo?

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

the posted:

Who was the Black guy in Ellen's famous tweeted photo?

Peter Nyong’o, the brother of Lupita who won best supporting actress for 12 years as a slave.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
So we have all bought stuff at the store and returned it. Sometimes they tell you that they need the original card you charged/debited it from to return it. What happens if you lost the card between the time you purchase something and need to return it?

Alkanos
Jul 20, 2009

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fht-YAWN

b0nes posted:

So we have all bought stuff at the store and returned it. Sometimes they tell you that they need the original card you charged/debited it from to return it. What happens if you lost the card between the time you purchase something and need to return it?

If you just want a refund, you're pretty much out of luck. Unless you can convince the management to let you do it the cashier probably won't run the refund. Depending on the store, a cashier could get fired for running it through without management's OK, so please don't yell at them til they do it. :v:

If you want something else in the store, you should be able to do an exchange. As long as you have the receipt and exchange it for something that costs the same/more than what you're returning you'll be fine.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

From the schadenfreude thread

Phanatic posted:

This is years old and all the pictures are gone, but this is a thread about a wonderful war between an Arizona HOA's chosen parking enforcer and a guy whose Audi they booted even though he had a parking permit.

Basically he put the car up on dollies and moved it into his garage. He's doing a rebuild on the car so he doesn't care that the boots are on his wheels. Parking company wants $140 to take the boots off. Guy says "Nah, I don't care that they're there, but you can come on my property to take the boots off if you want." Parking company calls the cops, says he's stolen their property, cops say "Look, he's standing right here telling you you can go get your boots back, he hasn't stolen anything. He moved his own car into his own garage, and then called and told you where your boots are."

I'm very confused by this. This is a private company that can not only issue fines to the owners of cars parked on the street because the people who own the nearby houses say so, but can also confiscate people's cars? How is that legal?

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

Tiggum posted:

I'm very confused by this. This is a private company that can not only issue fines to the owners of cars parked on the street because the people who own the nearby houses say so, but can also confiscate people's cars? How is that legal?

They aren't able to confiscate the car, they are just authorized to immobilize it. They won't remove the boot they put on in unless he pays a parking fine, and he won't pay the fine. But, if you were to say, take the boots off yourself and throw them out, or damage them, then you are liable for damaging or stealing property. The guy is basically telling them, "look, if you want them back, you can have them, but I'm not paying to take them off". The parking enforcement company is saying their usual argument when someone messes with their boots, that they were stolen. Luckily the police sided with him in this instance, that doesn't happen very often.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Tiggum posted:

Home Owners Association. If you move into a neighborhood run by one (usually those big subdivisions out in suburbia), they set the rules, such as parking restrictions. Kind of like a mini-government. To even buy or move into the house, you have to sign agreements to abide by the rules.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

RaoulDuke12 posted:

They aren't able to confiscate the car, they are just authorized to immobilize it.

Except that if he hadn't moved the car it would have been towed away. Even if immobilising it is, by some technicality, not confiscating it, towing it away surely is.

dupersaurus posted:

Home Owners Association. If you move into a neighborhood run by one (usually those big subdivisions out in suburbia), they set the rules, such as parking restrictions. Kind of like a mini-government. To even buy or move into the house, you have to sign agreements to abide by the rules.

How can they set parking restrictions for a neighbourhood though? Not everyone who drives or parks there will have signed the agreement. If I park in my neighbour's space in the parking lot then they can have my car removed, but if I park on the street then it's up to the police if I'm parked illegally.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Tiggum posted:

Except that if he hadn't moved the car it would have been towed away. Even if immobilising it is, by some technicality, not confiscating it, towing it away surely is.

How can they set parking restrictions for a neighbourhood though? Not everyone who drives or parks there will have signed the agreement. If I park in my neighbour's space in the parking lot then they can have my car removed, but if I park on the street then it's up to the police if I'm parked illegally.

It's all private property (even the roads) and they're the boss of the common areas. Especially a gated community like that.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

Tiggum posted:

They still aren't confiscating it, confiscating would imply taking ownership. They would be impounding it, which is basically holding it as collateral until the amount of money they're owed is paid.

It's bullshit, and it's shady as gently caress, but that's all I meant.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Tiggum posted:

Any signs put up at the entrance to the neighborhood are notices of the rules and you are now subject to those rules.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
I just want to drag a folder's worth of photos from my mac to my iphone - why does Apple have to make this so loving hard? Even doing it through itunes, it gives you this warning about how "photos synced from other libraries will be removed" - why are you removing poo poo? Don't remove anything, just copy what I want to copy. Jesus. Anyway, anyone know how I can do this without removing any photos from anywhere?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

dupersaurus posted:

Home Owners Association.

Once a property joins a Homeowners Association, it's generally made a binding condition of buying the place that the new owner will join the HOA and accept its jurisdiction.

Picture your neighborhood busybody, the one who's always complaining that that fellow across the street should really trim his shrubs at four feet tall instead of allowing them to grow any taller, and that that young lady's car has an unsightly rust spot on the rear fender and it shouldn't be allowed on a nice street like this, and those those people down the block have painted their house just the wrong shade of off-white. (Let's not even MENTION you-know-who around the corner who lets his grass get as much as a third of an inch longer than acceptable before mowing it.)

Now picture that busybody with real contractual authority. Authority over YOU.

:stare:

When I was looking to buy a house a while back, I told the realtor that the existence of an HOA on a property was a dealbreaker. I have literally never heard a story of anyone happy to be under an HOA.

Robo Boogie Bot
Sep 4, 2011
My neighbor would love a HOA, I've caught that guy rearranging my garbage cans three times now...

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

jackpot posted:

I just want to drag a folder's worth of photos from my mac to my iphone - why does Apple have to make this so loving hard? Even doing it through itunes, it gives you this warning about how "photos synced from other libraries will be removed" - why are you removing poo poo? Don't remove anything, just copy what I want to copy. Jesus. Anyway, anyone know how I can do this without removing any photos from anywhere?

Dropbox app, maybe. The iphone or ios app thread will be better.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Tiggum posted:

Essentially, imagine the entire neighborhood as being inside some sort of large building. The owner of the building (the HOA) gets to determine what goes on inside that, because they collectively own everything, including the streets.

Part of this also means that if for example a huge snowstorm comes through, the HOA has to hire out a guy to plow the streets because government plows won't come in - they only handle public streets.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Anyone else having severe Youtube problems lately?

FOr the past two days I have not been able to get ANY video to load, on Chrome or FF.

The ads before the videos DO load, however. My script blocker is set to allow everything on Youtube, and I disabled my ad-blocker on it, too.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!
Reset your cookies.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Is there a term for cowboy/western speak? You see different variations on it in different movies (I just watched True Grit), TV shows (Deadwood, Hell on Wheels, etc.) and video games. (Well, Red Dead Redemption.) This strange mix of eloquence with large vocabularies but paired with slang and "ain't"s and the like.

I was also wondering how people really spoke back in them times.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

RaoulDuke12 posted:

They still aren't confiscating it, confiscating would imply taking ownership. They would be impounding it, which is basically holding it as collateral until the amount of money they're owed is paid.

But if you owe me money and I take something of yours to hold until you pay me, that's totally illegal. How is it different in this case? You can't just take someone's stuff because you say they owe you money.

FCKGW posted:

Any signs put up at the entrance to the neighborhood are notices of the rules and you are now subject to those rules.

Again, why does this apply in this specific case when it doesn't apply generally?

Powered Descent posted:

Once a property joins a Homeowners Association, it's generally made a binding condition of buying the place that the new owner will join the HOA and accept its jurisdiction.

Picture your neighborhood busybody, the one who's always complaining that that fellow across the street should really trim his shrubs at four feet tall instead of allowing them to grow any taller, and that that young lady's car has an unsightly rust spot on the rear fender and it shouldn't be allowed on a nice street like this, and those those people down the block have painted their house just the wrong shade of off-white. (Let's not even MENTION you-know-who around the corner who lets his grass get as much as a third of an inch longer than acceptable before mowing it.)

Now picture that busybody with real contractual authority. Authority over YOU.

:stare:

When I was looking to buy a house a while back, I told the realtor that the existence of an HOA on a property was a dealbreaker. I have literally never heard a story of anyone happy to be under an HOA.

I'm also confused about how these situations come to be. Like, when they're first setting it up, all these people get together and say "Yeah, I think all of you guys should be allowed to get together and tell me what to do with my own private property. That seems totally reasonable."

Install Windows posted:

Essentially, imagine the entire neighborhood as being inside some sort of large building. The owner of the building (the HOA) gets to determine what goes on inside that, because they collectively own everything, including the streets.

If I let you park in my driveway I'm still not allowed to take your car though. That's still theft.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

Tiggum posted:

If I let you park in my driveway I'm still not allowed to take your car though. That's still theft.

It's a gated community; the HOA owns all of the roads. If you park on my lawn, and I've got well-posted signs, I'm totally allowed to impound your car until you pay my completely-arbitrary fees. If you don't like it, don't park on my lawn (or in my gated community).

Where this story gets interesting is in that it is exclusively a civil offense. You haven't broken any laws by parking on my lawn; just a (implicit) contract. We've got to hash it out in civil court, if you think I've improperly booted your car, or (in this case), I think you've stolen my boots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

Tiggum posted:

But if you owe me money and I take something of yours to hold until you pay me, that's totally illegal. How is it different in this case? You can't just take someone's stuff because you say they owe you money.

Again, why does this apply in this specific case when it doesn't apply generally?

They aren't just taking someone's stuff, they are holding it as a lien and technically the object was left with them. And yes, this does apply generally. Parking lots are probably the most common example: It's private property and they are letting you park there if you follow their rules. If you don't (such as parking in a store's lot and then going somewhere completely different for an extended period of time) then you are trespassing and they can tow your car. If you let someone park in your driveway you could have them towed if you felt like being a huge dick.