Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)

This so-called Unitas party is not a party of the future, it is a party of the past. It reflects a sentiment that is older than Rome, that goes back to the Golden Age of Greece. It supposes that anyone who is not Greek is inferior, and therefor should be shunned. The Unitas party may cloak their xenophobia in pretty words and cherry-picked Biblical allusions, but they are still regressive and not the sort of men that I want in this Empire.

Anyway, I think that the idea to go and trace the movement of the Ilkhan back to its source is a viable endeavor. And since no one else has volunteered for the task, I suppose I will have to take it on myself. Don't burn down the empire while I'm gone!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

You understand nothing, Senator. We shun no one: all are welcome to the new world this empire must build! You question my use of Greek culture as the template? We have nearly done it time and again: Alexander, the Diadochi, Rome, and now us! We have one thing all others lacked: the support of God. We, as the only heirs of the true and proper faith, will finally have the holy support necessary to see this endeavor through! How can you not see! Over the horizon is our destiny, the destiny all men, and yet you continue to cower in the divisions of old! You would reject the prerogative of the Almighty! Division is death!

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
:D

Meinberg posted:

This so-called Unitas party is not a party of the future, it is a party of the past. It reflects a sentiment that is older than Rome, that goes back to the Golden Age of Greece. It supposes that anyone who is not Greek is inferior, and therefor should be shunned. The Unitas party may cloak their xenophobia in pretty words and cherry-picked Biblical allusions, but they are still regressive and not the sort of men that I want in this Empire.

Anyway, I think that the idea to go and trace the movement of the Ilkhan back to its source is a viable endeavor. And since no one else has volunteered for the task, I suppose I will have to take it on myself. Don't burn down the empire while I'm gone!

They're from the past, alright. But not the past of Rome, no! They are from the past of some dank misbegotten island state, a party descended from malcontents and criminals. Let us call them what they really are - Populists.

ChrisAsmadi fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Mar 3, 2014

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Populists? Yes, that is quite appropriate! Certainly more than the "TEA Party." We don't have any particular enmity with Turks.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

I am a Milvian, but as I've stated before I lack the enthusiasm and fervour demonstrated by my colleague Cyrahzax when it comes to matters of language and culture. I consider myself a more spiritual man, I believe that through pious and honest worship of God and capable and loyal duty to the Empress we can all achieve Man's spiritual zenith. And, being that I am a flexible person by nature I am even willing to accommodate some amount of interfaith dialogue. That being the case...

Some of you are new to the City, or new to the City's language, and some don't even share the City's faith, so I'll take the initiative to inform you on a matter spiritual, urban, and natural.

There is a neighbourhood in Constantinople called Fanari. It is called so because of a small lighthouse that serves as beacon for vessels passing through the Golden Horn. And indeed, fanari means lantern. It should then be no coincidence that this is also the neighbourhood the Ecumenical Patriarchate is in, a light not only for the City or the Empire but indeed all of Christendom and all the world.

And that's what I want to speak to you about today me fellow senators: enlightenment.

I call upon you all to join this Phanariote coalition. Our purpose is to spread God's light: knowledge. We seek to ensure that our leaders are learned scholars rather than intellectual wastelands who cannot remember when they last opened a book. We seek that they be englightened figures who pull ahead instead of hold the Empire back. We seek that they spread their light; God's light, knowledge, across the realm and the world. That they use this divine light to better understand the world He in His magnanimity gave us. We the Phanariotes seek to make the Empire a place of learning, scholarship, and study!

Senators of all parties, of all ethnicities, and all religions are welcome to contribute to this holy quest. The Empire must be made to thirst and hunger for knowledge, and have that thirst quenched and hunger sated!

All credit for the coalition icon to iconmaster Sniper.

YF-23 fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Mar 3, 2014

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Oftentimes I go to visit my father at his estates. Until this point I never did gather why he decided to make a practically useless coalition movement. Now I realize that he must have done it as some manner of elaborate joke, which others have taken too far.

Gnooble
Sep 29, 2010

Commander, make full speed to JP1 and activate your active sensor to keep watch for any unauthorized transits.

YF-23 posted:

There is a neighbourhood in Constantinople called Fanari. It is called so because of a small lighthouse that serves as beacon for vessels passing through the Golden Horn. And indeed, fanari means lantern. It should then be no coincidence that this is also the neighbourhood the Ecumenical Patriarchate is in, a light not only for the City or the Empire but indeed all of Christendom and all the world.

:eng101: During the time period of the Byzantine Empire, the Ecumenical Patriarch was located at the Hagia Sophia, it was only relocated to Fanari (Fener) following the fall of Constantinople when the Hagia Sophia was used as a mosque.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

I applaud this new coalition, and would like to join it.

Scholarship and reason point out that men should be equal. That should be the case, but it is not. Most men are deceived by devils who seek to usurp God's Throne. Others are enslaved by men like the my fellow Senators. You slavemasters would bind us all in the chains of our birth, of our tongues, and in outdated tradition! Unitas/The TEA Party seeks one thing above all others: liberation. These chains that bind men to inglorious stasis must be broken! Only through unity of language, faith, and purpose can this be done! That Greek is the best language for this I cannot help. However, you must see my goal as righteous: that all men should be equal. That any man should be able to engage any other with no barrier separating them!

Led by the Emperor, our unity will spread across the world! All men will finally be free of these petty chains that bind them! Join us, please. Let us make this reality!

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

I don't think you can be a member of more than one coalition. Regardless, you would be ill-fit to join, for you eschew knowledge; you look down upon foreign tongues and customs and in the process knowledge of them.

Gnooble posted:

:eng101: During the time period of the Byzantine Empire, the Ecumenical Patriarch was located at the Hagia Sophia, it was only relocated to Fanari (Fener) following the fall of Constantinople when the Hagia Sophia was used as a mosque.

Ah whoops. :blush:

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

YF-23 posted:

I call upon you all to join this Phanariote coalition. Our purpose is to spread God's light: knowledge. We seek to ensure that our leaders are learned scholars rather than intellectual wastelands who cannot remember when they last opened a book. We seek that they be englightened figures who pull ahead instead of hold the Empire back. We seek that they spread their light; God's light, knowledge, across the realm and the world. That they use this divine light to better understand the world He in His magnanimity gave us. We the Phanariotes seek to make the Empire a place of learning, scholarship, and study!

Senators of all parties, of all ethnicities, and all religions are welcome to contribute to this holy quest. The Empire must be made to thirst and hunger for knowledge, and have that thirst quenched and hunger sated!

Well said, that man! As with the previously discussed Saints Cyril and Methodius, we shall bring learning to all corners of the globe, that all may benefit from reading the holy scriptures for themselves. Along with the prior commitments of my lineage, that brings my coalitionometer up to:

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Why shouldn't I be able to join more than one coalition? Most have entirely different goals.

As for "eschewing knowledge," I must tell you that I, and the rest of Unitas/The TEA Party do nothing of the sort. Other languages and customs are interesting, but not necessary. In any case, that is but one small part of the intellectual canon, as it were. I will have you know that I own a vast library on history, politics, strategy, and philosophy. I only came to my realization after years of study: unity is the only path forward.

DentedLamp
Aug 2, 2012
This chaos of discourse is meandering, irksome; make not the politics of we Byzantines any more byzantine than they must be, divisive coalitionists.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Yeah, okay, sure. I like the way you think. Maybe we could establish some kind of fund to permit promising students to study at the University whose families do not have the money to do so, so that they do not need to go to the moneylenders to afford it? And something to promote parochial schools seems like a good idea, too.

Ratoslov fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Mar 4, 2014

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?

... Does anyone remember the days when we had four political parties.

Those were simpler and better times.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

cokerpilot posted:

... Does anyone remember the days when we had four political parties.

Those were simpler and better times.

A 'New Byzantine' looking back to the old days with pangs of longing, wishing to return to the way things once were.

Oh, irony, how sharp thy sting.

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

A 'New Byzantine' looking back to the old days with pangs of longing, wishing to return to the way things once were.

Oh, irony, how sharp thy sting.

Well at least I what I am looking back at happened in the last century rather then say more then seven.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
The next time there's a vote (after the next update, which I've played but still need to write up) you'll be able to join more than one intra-party group, since mostly those just track support for various specific issues.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

cokerpilot posted:

Well at least I what I am looking back at happened in the last century rather then say more then seven.

Ah, so it's a matter of degrees, then, this 'bold new direction' you wish to chart for the Empire? Different but not too different? Visionary but only so long as that vision is a little myopic? For shame, Senator. At least have the courage of your convictions.

The Roman Senate represents the Roman Empire. While my own party seeks to return Rome to the heights of its glory, we realize that such a vast Empire as we envision will require diverse representation.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

I move to have being on the Byzantine Senate declared a symptom of insanity, having observed my peers' behaviour to this point.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

DentedLamp posted:

This chaos of discourse is meandering, irksome; make not the politics of we Byzantines any more byzantine than they must be, divisive coalitionists.

Grab some snacks, and watch the coalitions and splinter factions argue however they want. If anything, it helps know who will push for what come next vote. Figure out potential opposition and that sort of thing. I just hope one of them remembers to take Senator Scruffles for his walksies, lest there be a repeat of the Week of Stench.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Looks like our politics just became

(Puts on sunglasses)

Byzantine.

Naaaaaiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

TheMcD posted:

Eh, give the Mongols some credit. Not their fault their preferred style of warfare crushes the infrastructure of the affected areas. Give them a decade, they'll have rebuilt and will be invaluable trade partners, I'm sure of it.

Also, I'd like to officially propose an initiative to convert the leader of the Ilkhanate, if possible. Send our most persuasive religious leader to his current place of residence and let him work his magic. While we New Byzantines are religiously tolerant, we recognize that that is not the case for others, so the occasional persuasion could bring us a great gain and a great ally.

This New Byzantine speaks the truth. Soon, our fortunes will bring us head to head against the great powers of the west- who knows? Some day Rome herself may return to the orthodox fold. It's time to look to the steppes, who's undeveloped and unfertile lands hold no attraction to us and have no history within our empire, for friendship and alliance. We are not yet the united Rome that can stand alone against the world. So make a marriage alliance to Kiev. And it's time for our brave patriarchs to travel abroad, into great danger for the sake of great gain, as they had in the days of St. Cyril. Though our missionaries to the great Khans may perish, they will have the greater reward for their martyrdom in the afterlife. And heaven help us if the Mohammedans convert them first.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Pester posted:

So make a marriage alliance to Kiev. And it's time for our brave patriarchs to travel abroad, into great danger for the sake of great gain, as they had in the days of St. Cyril. Though our missionaries to the great Khans may perish, they will have the greater reward for their martyrdom in the afterlife. And heaven help us if the Mohammedans convert them first.

Though no milvan, new Byzantine or old roman, and a strong believer in the primacy of the Apostolic Successor of Christ who Sits In Rome, I believe this combination of marriage and conversion is one that all senators should support and I would wholeheartedly suggest my fellow Catholic Senators will join my good feeling towards these proposals.

Convert the Mongols
Marry into Kiev

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

lenoon posted:

Though no milvan, new Byzantine or old roman, and a strong believer in the primacy of the Apostolic Successor of Christ who Sits In Rome, I believe this combination of marriage and conversion is one that all senators should support and I would wholeheartedly suggest my fellow Catholic Senators will join my good feeling towards these proposals.

Convert the Mongols
Marry into Kiev

The Papist heretic is, for once, right. Let us strengthen the true Christian Orthodoxy by converting the mighty force from the east and unifying the bastions of the Faith through Imperial marriage.

Talky
Mar 26, 2010

Or we can convert to Islam, marry such that the Komenian dynasty merges with the Caliphate, and then convert the Illkhanate as they sweep away the hated Turks!

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Talky posted:

Or we can convert to Islam, marry such that the Komenian dynasty merges with the Caliphate, and then convert the Illkhanate as they sweep away the hated Turks!

Dude, let's not get crazy here. The Komenians should not have to besmirch themselves by destroying the title of Komenian.

Blackunknown
Oct 18, 2013

lenoon posted:

Convert the Mongols
Marry into Kiev

Steppes and Republics

I for one agree with this proposal, converting the Mongol would give us a easier trade route into the Far East without getting dragged down by Seljulk controlled trade routes. Marrying into Kiev would especially beneficial if we could inherit the Kievian throne and directly control the trade city of Kiev.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

lenoon posted:

Convert the Mongols
Marry into Kiev

I must agree. The Mongols can begin the process of Persian assimilation for us!

Talky
Mar 26, 2010

Pyroi posted:

Dude, let's not get crazy here. The Komenians should not have to besmirch themselves by destroying the title of Komenian.

Well obviously we'll just have to arrange the marriage carefully, such that someone of the Komenian Dynasty inherits the Caliphate rather then the other way around.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

I am a wizard, not a poet.
I've got no idea which party I belong to with this theory but personally, I think we should just sit back and let the invading warriors and the arabs beat the poo poo out of each other and take costal land from the arabs while it's going on...

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

lenoon posted:

Convert the Mongols
Marry into Kiev

Not a bad strategy, but how in the Lord's name are we supposed to do that, huh? The Mongols seem to just be destroying everything in sight with no heed for diplomacy or belief.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Flesnolk posted:

Not a bad strategy, but how in the Lord's name are we supposed to do that, huh? The Mongols seem to just be destroying everything in sight with no heed for diplomacy or belief.

OOC: In case you were unaware, we can just stick our Court Chaplain (or whatever the Byzantine equivalent is) into the current residence of the Khan and if we get lucky, he'll convert. If you were aware and were more asking from a character standpoint, carry on.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

TheMcD posted:

OOC: In case you were unaware, we can just stick our Court Chaplain (or whatever the Byzantine equivalent is) into the current residence of the Khan and if we get lucky, he'll convert. If you were aware and were more asking from a character standpoint, carry on.

Although you might go through a few court chaplains in the process. I once had 7 of my bishops rotting in various pagan cells around the world and only managed one conversion.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

UrbicaMortis posted:

Although you might go through a few court chaplains in the process. I once had 7 of my bishops rotting in various pagan cells around the world and only managed one conversion.

Sure, but they're chaplains - they're literally 60 piety a dozen (with at least 8 out of the dozen not fit for the job, but eh). Compared to the boon of converting the Khan, that's a miniscule price to pay.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

TheMcD posted:

Sure, but they're chaplains - they're literally 60 piety a dozen (with at least 8 out of the dozen not fit for the job, but eh). Compared to the boon of converting the Khan, that's a miniscule price to pay.

Well, we'd also be losing whatever other work that chaplain might be doing (culture tech research, converting our own provinces, etc.) for all the time he'd be hanging out with the Mongols, but yeah, losing a court chaplain isn't that big a deal since there's like 75% chance he was horrible at his job anyway.

Blackunknown
Oct 18, 2013

Steppes and Republics

Perhaps we should make some especially troublesome douxes court chaplains then send them to the Mongols. This way we either convert the Mongols or put the douxes in some pagan's dungeon, Either way we win.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

As the most currently sober Komnenian faction member I fully support the sending of the Court Chaplain to the Mongols. This has nothing to do in the least with me owing him money, at all.

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009

Hic...I conchurr with the shenator! He onshe called me a stinkin' drunk while I was passed out in the Hippodrome!

OOC: At this point the Komnenians need a flag with the Labarum sticking out of a martini glass like an olive.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

TheMcD posted:

OOC: Yeah, I knew that, but it seems to never actually work and I figured my Senator wouldn't look at it that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Flesnolk posted:

OOC: Yeah, I knew that, but it seems to never actually work and I figured my Senator wouldn't look at it that way.
What are the conditions that better influence conversion chance, anyway? If they're cynical?

• Locked thread