Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robot Danger
Mar 18, 2012
Icarium only rolled a 6 on his saving throw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bucketybuck
Apr 8, 2012

Habibi posted:

Also, Icarium gets knocked the gently caress out by Karsa.

When?

Are you thinking of when Karsa and Icarium squared up in the desert, because it was Mappo that clocked Icarium from behind?

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007
i think he is misremembering when heboric threw karsa around like a ragdoll

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Icarium gets knocked unconscious a lot. Ok maybe only twice but still dude has a glass jaw

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

bucketybuck posted:

Are you thinking of when Karsa and Icarium squared up in the desert, because it was Mappo that clocked Icarium from behind?

No, Icarium gets knocked out by Karsa. Mappo then hits Karsa from behind.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Icarium is the most powerful character in the series isn't he, from a raw power point of view?

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.

ulmont posted:

I wouldn't call that conclusive, not least because "ascendant" is not capitalized.

I would suggest he means "risen" or "developed" rather than "Ascended".

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Sampatrick posted:

Icarium is the most powerful character in the series isn't he, from a raw power point of view?

He's certainly talked up that way, yes, but something always gets in the way of him completely unleashing himself. Except, you know, when he destroyed Kurald Emurlahn

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Icarium is basically The Incredible Hulk Jhag.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Now I can't exactly remember what happens with him...

He enters the machine he built in Letheras and disappears, and then his "spirit" gets bound up with the spirits of some regular people who happened to be in the area (and they're all in his head or maybe they don't exist at all, can't remember the details...I feel like they do exist but they're in his head rather than his perception of him being a disembodied spirit among them), and then he travels to a K'chain Che'Malle sky keep and takes it over and ends up blasting the gently caress out of a bunch of short tails and their sky keeps and then careens into the gate that is letting them into the Malazan world and destroys it? I just started Dust of Dreams for the second time so I know all that poo poo happens during this book and the next but dammed if I can remember exactly what his destiny ends up being

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Spermy Smurf posted:

No, Icarium gets knocked out by Karsa. Mappo then hits Karsa from behind.

You got it.

Sampatrick posted:

Or close to. He's basically a gate into Chaos (iirc?) when he gets upset . There are several other characters who have a similar attribute, but with two exceptions we don't really see them display it, so it's tough to say who is really the most powerful, especially since they are all smart enough to stay away from another (mostly). Icarium just has the added bonus of inadvertently falling into an all consuming rage at the drop of a hat.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Levitate posted:

Now I can't exactly remember what happens with him...

He enters the machine he built in Letheras and disappears, and then his "spirit" gets bound up with the spirits of some regular people who happened to be in the area (and they're all in his head or maybe they don't exist at all, can't remember the details...I feel like they do exist but they're in his head rather than his perception of him being a disembodied spirit among them), and then he travels to a K'chain Che'Malle sky keep and takes it over and ends up blasting the gently caress out of a bunch of short tails and their sky keeps and then careens into the gate that is letting them into the Malazan world and destroys it? I just started Dust of Dreams for the second time so I know all that poo poo happens during this book and the next but dammed if I can remember exactly what his destiny ends up being

I'm on my phone so I can't go into what happens to him in Letheras, but as far as what his destiny ends up being - Ublala Pung!

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I think it would be really cool to see the old 80s gurps character sheets for some of these guys. On the other hand, I never understood this weird dbz who would win in a fight and who is stronger comparisons tha talways seem to pop up when discussing malazan stuff.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I guess. Kallor's responsbile for 90% of whats happening in the story, and there's nothing really remarkable about him magic or swordfighting wise other than he's very old and knows how to pick fights well.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

amuayse posted:

So when it does come to brute strength, Icarium or Ultor are the top right? But they both have their share of mental problems as well.

It seems to me that this would almost certainly be Caladan Brood. He might not always be the answer to "Who would win in a fight?", but I'm pretty sure he'd take the gold in Malazon weightlifting.

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007

amuayse posted:

I guess. Kallor's responsbile for 90% of whats happening in the story, and there's nothing really remarkable about him magic or swordfighting wise other than he's very old and knows how to pick fights well.

90% of what's happening in the story is happening precisely because kallor does not know how to pick fights well. his reach exceeds his grasp on a near constant basis

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

amuayse posted:

Kallor really is pretty interesting once you get through Toll the Hounds. He just seems like a stupid loving rear end in a top hat until then for the most part but after his fight with Spinnock Durav you get a bit of a look into him

But on the other hand yeah you can pretty much blame everything that happens in the Book of the Fallen on Kallor

Dalmuti posted:

90% of what's happening in the story is happening precisely because kallor does not know how to pick fights well. his reach exceeds his grasp on a near constant basis

I dunno, considering what he accomplished I wouldn't exactly say his grasp is very short. He reaches for so much precisely because he "accomplished" so much

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

amuayse posted:

""I shall break you. Each of you. I swear this upon the bones of seven million sacrifices. K'rul, you shall fade from the world, you shall be forgotten. Draconus, what you create shall be turned upon you. And as for you, woman, unhuman hands shall tear your body into pieces upon a field of battle, and yet you shall know no respite - thus, my curse upon you, Sister of Cold Nights. Kallor Eiderann Tes'thesula, one voice, has spoken three curses. Thus."

Nothing remarkable at all, nope.

Dalmuti posted:

"Kallor Eiderann Tes’thesula, each time you rise, you shall then fall. All that you achieve shall turn to dust in your hands. As you have willfully done here, so it shall be in turn visited upon all that you do.’"

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Correct me if I'm wrong but, Draconus:

Didn't his arrival wipe out a battlefield of Barghast and Awl? Like there were thousands of people engaged in combat and he arrived back on the plane of existence like a nuclear bomb exploding? God that was so loving badass

I REALLY NEED TO DO A RE READ.

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007

Loving Life Partner posted:

Didn't his arrival wipe out a battlefield of Barghast and Awl? Like there were thousands of people engaged in combat and he arrived back on the plane of existence like a nuclear bomb exploding? God that was so loving badass

barghast and akrynnai. All the awl are dead by that point except for torrent.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Loving Life Partner posted:

Yes. That's one of the two instances I referenced of a being with similar powers to Icarium unveiling then (the other being Brood when confronting Kruppe).

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Habibi posted:

Yes. That's one of the two instances I referenced of a being with similar powers to Icarium unveiling then (the other being Brood when confronting Kruppe).

Eh, the trick with Icarium isn't that he's powerful in the traditional sense, it's that he gets more and more powerful as he goes and he doesn't really stop. He's just a force of nature, fighting him is futile.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

NovemberMike posted:

Eh, the trick with Icarium isn't that he's powerful in the traditional sense, it's that he gets more and more powerful as he goes and he doesn't really stop. He's just a force of nature, fighting him is futile.

Unless your name is Trull Sengar :zoro:

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

NovemberMike posted:

My point was simply that Icarium isn't the only guy (or girl) around who can channel a Warren, and that it's hard to judge who has the most raw power specifically because we rarely see those other beings unveil their might. As an example, we see Brood get slightly piqued and rearrange the geography in a large area with little effort - whereas if he really wants he has the ability to wipe the planet clean.

Habibi fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Mar 4, 2014

Tooter
Nov 12, 2003

Whiskey would have gotten the better of Kallor if it wasn't for his leg though, wouldn't he? Not say that Kallor isn't a badass, just that there is always a bigger badass in the universe.
To me power in the books is a mixture of many things. Not always just skill or ability but in cases like Karsa and Rake their sheer sense of will and tenacity. Karsa never gives up, the boy just keeps rolling. As do the Bridgeburners. That's what I took from Rake carrying Draginpur and making the stone sweat. His will and sense of self is what allowed him to shoulder the burden, that and the fact that as First Son of Darkness no one else could. He figuratively also carried his people and their lives on his back. Forge of Darkness really kind of drove this point home for me. Even in his youth he still had this sense of duty and honor.
I look forward to more books in that series because I want to see if Rake and Brood ever do square off. The older races seem to become complacent in their 'immortality'. Olar Ethil and some of the other elder gods are a prime example of this. They lived for so long that they think they always will live and are secure in their power. Then they get rolled by regular people.
There are people who are just raw power, like Icarium or Beak :cry: but they don't fully access what they have for whatever blocks they possess.
That went on longer than I expected. Sorry for the rambling, I've just been trying to wrap my head around it for a long time. That being said, if we were talking about straight power and who would come out on top I would say it would be between Rake and Draconus with Brood being a sleeper. Hood if he wasn't Jaghut and could be brought to really care and pissed off could hold his own. People like Quick, Paran, and other assorted power houses in the books rely on more time and planning to get by (I know Quick can hold his own in a pinch, but for a sustained fight...)

Ok, now I'm really done

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.

Habibi posted:

but as far as what his destiny ends up being - Ublala Pung!

This character has always been difficult for me because in Swedish his name is scrotum. :(

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

the least weasel posted:

This character has always been difficult for me because in Swedish his name is scrotum. :(

I'm pretty sure that wasn't an accident.

Opal
May 10, 2005

You're completely right and I entirely forgot or blocked out that part of his 'character' and the fact that Erikson is kind of Swedish. Sorry for idiotposting.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

Tooter posted:

Whiskey would have gotten the better of Kallor if it wasn't for his leg though, wouldn't he? Not say that Kallor isn't a badass, just that there is always a bigger badass in the universe.
To me power in the books is a mixture of many things. Not always just skill or ability but in cases like Karsa and Rake their sheer sense of will and tenacity. Karsa never gives up, the boy just keeps rolling. As do the Bridgeburners. That's what I took from Rake carrying Draginpur and making the stone sweat. His will and sense of self is what allowed him to shoulder the burden, that and the fact that as First Son of Darkness no one else could. He figuratively also carried his people and their lives on his back. Forge of Darkness really kind of drove this point home for me. Even in his youth he still had this sense of duty and honor.
I look forward to more books in that series because I want to see if Rake and Brood ever do square off. The older races seem to become complacent in their 'immortality'. Olar Ethil and some of the other elder gods are a prime example of this. They lived for so long that they think they always will live and are secure in their power. Then they get rolled by regular people.
There are people who are just raw power, like Icarium or Beak :cry: but they don't fully access what they have for whatever blocks they possess.
That went on longer than I expected. Sorry for the rambling, I've just been trying to wrap my head around it for a long time. That being said, if we were talking about straight power and who would come out on top I would say it would be between Rake and Draconus with Brood being a sleeper. Hood if he wasn't Jaghut and could be brought to really care and pissed off could hold his own. People like Quick, Paran, and other assorted power houses in the books rely on more time and planning to get by (I know Quick can hold his own in a pinch, but for a sustained fight...)

Ok, now I'm really done

We still don't really know who's souls are lurking inside Quick Ben. It's possible that he's also in the extreme heavyweight category. After Raraku it took a whole for him to stretch himself, to really let the souls that make him up come back into their own, but it seems to have happened. We know from the Spear of Andii that he considers mother dark his mother and Draconus his father, although that may be two different souls rather than a single child of both. I wouldn't be be shocked if he also has an elder god lurking in their.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

I though Quick Ben went through and listed the 12 souls at one point when he was telling a story to someone about how Whiskey Jack was chasing him through the Raraku.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

the least weasel posted:

You're completely right and I entirely forgot or blocked out that part of his 'character' and the fact that Erikson is kind of Swedish. Sorry for idiotposting.

Not so much kind of.
His parents family name is Lundin and they are originally from Uppsala.
Wonder if he is a Swedish citizen as well :sweden:.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

pakman posted:

I though Quick Ben went through and listed the 12 souls at one point when he was telling a story to someone about how Whiskey Jack was chasing him through the Raraku.

Pretty sure it didn't account for all of them.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Tooter posted:

This is actually a major theme with the series. If you look at Whiskeyjack on paper he's an absolutely ridiculous badass. He's arguably as strong as top ten Seguleh. Doesn't really matter though, that's no important to his character arc. Same with Trull, same with Stormy and Gesler, same with Caladan Brood and tons of others. They're powerful, but it doesn't necessarily matter for their role in the series and their power doesn't necessarily tell you what they will do.

Tooter
Nov 12, 2003

NovemberMike posted:

This is actually a major theme with the series. If you look at Whiskeyjack on paper he's an absolutely ridiculous badass. He's arguably as strong as top ten Seguleh. Doesn't really matter though, that's no important to his character arc. Same with Trull, same with Stormy and Gesler, same with Caladan Brood and tons of others. They're powerful, but it doesn't necessarily matter for their role in the series and their power doesn't necessarily tell you what they will do.

I agree, it seems that the big power houses that stick their necks out to gain more power don't last as long. Shadowthrone and Rope are a perfect example of this for me. They're pretty much indirectly involved in everything that happens during the series but very rarely directly. Rake, as strong as he is just kind of hangs out until he has to do something totally badass. Then you have someone like Olar that keeps trying to grab more power and keeps getting smacked down, Kallor as well.
It is a large part of what makes the stories compelling for me. It's the people who have the ability and know that they don't always have to use it, or are worried about the repercussions.
I just really like the series and the characterization. Even the people who you should loathe you end up still liking because they fill a role. It's a rare thing to balance in literature now days.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Don't the Forkrul Assail act badass all the time and never really get messed up that badly?

amuayse fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Mar 7, 2014

SansPants
Mar 31, 2007

amuayse posted:

Don't the Forkrul Assail act badass all the time and never really get messed up that badly?

Unless they go anywhere near Hood

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.

SansPants posted:

Unless they go anywhere near Hood

That scene was so :black101: I was in awe. Hood and Raest are the best Jaghut.

I'm winding down on my first readthrough with about a quarter of The Crippled God left. I still am completely unsure of how Erikson will tie the series off, but I have no doubts about how amazing it will be. Also probably sad.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Don't forget somewhat confusing especially in regards to Rope and Shadowthrone's part in all of it!

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

nucleicmaxid posted:

Don't forget somewhat confusing especially in regards to Rope and Shadowthrone's part in all of it!

I got the impression they pretty much orchestrated the vast majority of the actions that led to the freeing and, uh, disposal of the Crippled God. They saw what was all going to happen and set all of this in motion with subtle behind the scenes manipulations. Of course, I'm sure they have other plans as well...

The Forkrul Assail are just kind of lovely assholes and gently caress them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

amuayse posted:

They get what's coming to them, but before that, they also get The Watch.