Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Went to another meet and greet event at a pet store and after talking to the volunteers, decided that I should just volunteer to help with the turnouts (letting all the dogs out) at their kennel from time to time. It sounds pretty cool, hanging out with greyhounds, and maybe getting some priority if the ideal dog arrives right after I've moved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

pastor of muppets posted:

Yeah, I almost didn't order one because of that, but truth be told I will probably end up ordering another one anyway because my husband was pretty ">:-{" about my choice.

Tell him to stop being a poo-face, from me.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Berryblood posted:

I need to make this for dog shaming/it makes me laugh/it's cold and he needs a hat purposes. That's beautiful.

I got it from Alibar Dog Knits, they make them to help raise money for a Galgos rescue in Spain. The post them on their facebook group, and take requests periodically through the year.

DenialTwist
Sep 18, 2008
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

ugh I can't stop looking at martingale collars

i bought this one :ssh:

T-minus 6 days!

I need to know where all of these collars are from (especially the teal one)...for you know...:science:

Fuzz Feets
Apr 11, 2009

Gninjagnome, how did it go with the baby and Mona?

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

DenialTwist posted:

I need to know where all of these collars are from (especially the teal one)...for you know...:science:

I went back and made all the images links to their Etsy pages (like I prob should have in the first place. :doh:)

Here's a couple more I gave thought to buying as well. (And probably will at some point. I smell a serious problem coming on...)

Only a real crazy cat lady matches her dog collar to her cat. :colbert:

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Fuzz Feets posted:

Gninjagnome, how did it go with the baby and Mona?

Mona took one look in the pack and play with the baby in it when she came home, then went to take a nap on her couch. She's basically ignored the baby since we've been home. We've let her approach the baby a couple times, and she's just taken a sniff then wandered off. All and all, nothing interesting to report (which overall is a good thing).

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Dog didn't work out. :(

The dog haul was this morning, and even though she apparently tested cat tolerant at the kennel in Florida, she immediately lunged for them when she met them. Even after the cats ran upstairs, she stared up the stairs waiting for them to reappear. I called our contact at the rescue and she and the president of the rescue came out immediately. They agreed it was safest to remove her.

They happen to have another male come up in this haul who is going to a foster home who also tested cat tolerant, so they brought him along to see if we were interested. He completely ignored our cats. He is also HUGE, and we definitely prefer a small female.

They apologized profusely that it didn't work out, but they said if we liked the male then he was ours, otherwise, they are working on bringing up a smaller haul from another kennel as early as next week and can see if they have a match for us.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
Sorry to hear that it didn't work out but for better or worse there's always going to be more greyhounds in need of good home so it's only a matter of time until you find one that's a good fit for yours. Personally I like my big guy since I can pet him without bending over. Big dogs aren't for everyone though.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

Yeah. The size thing isn't that big of an issue with me -my only real hard and fast requirement is cat tolerance- but my husband doesn't think anything bigger than about 60 pounds is manageable, and I have to take into consideration how he feels since he does live here, too. His feelings might change if/when the time comes for our second grey, but I can't count on that right now.

I told the rescue we are choosing not to take the big male. They said that they completely understand and they want everyone to be happy and for our cats to be safe since they were here first after all. They also expressed irritation with the kennel in Florida for not properly cat testing this dog; they said there was no way in any scenario she would have passed a cat tolerance test based on how she acted at our home. Our adoption counselor said that she had a really hard time even loading her back in the car because she desperately wanted to get back into the house because she knew that's where the cats were.

It really sucks and it's heartbreaking, because she was a really sweet dog otherwise. As soon as she met my husband, she ran straight into his arms wagging her tail. :(

pastor of muppets fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Feb 23, 2014

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
Well if she's already with a rescue then she'll find her way to a good, loving and cat free home soon enough. It's just a matter of matching the right dog to the right home. Hopefully you meet the right dog soon.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

So this happened last night.

The rescue emailed me the other morning and said that one of the other dogs from Saturday's haul was being returned. The adopter just got out of a relationship and lost his other dog and decided he wasn't ready for another dog yet. She happened to fit my criteria, so I took her!

Her name is Kiowa Ten Aurora and she's just a baby. Her whelp date is May 2012 and it looks like she never raced. The rescue speculated that she may have run in a handful of maiden races that weren't reported but didn't do well so she never ran official races.

She's a sweetheart and there's been no problems with the cats so far. Last night was pretty rough, however; since we brought her home in the evening, we didn't really get much of a chance to introduce her to the crate, so turning in for bed went about as well as you'd think. She cried on and off all night long. Since we are both off today, I'm working on starting from square one with crate training, but I'm very nervous about going back to work tomorrow....:ohdear:

SUPER HASSLER posted:

Adam ran in 177 :colbert: winning 20 and placing in 34. And yet did no breeding, I dunno.

Kiowa Sweet Trey offspring supremacy 4 evarrrr.

Our dogs have the same sire! :respek:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Congratulations!

With regards to the crate, some greys love it and some hate it. If it doesn't stick there's nothing wrong with getting rid of it - that's what I did.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Our dogs have the same sire! :respek:

Congrats, you're in an exclusive club of like 13,000

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

Well I have the privilege of being in the bottom 1% of his offspring :downs:

24 hours in and things are going swimmingly, other than the crate thing. She loves everything and everyone so far, but we did have a :catstare: moment when the mailman put the mail through the slot.

My husband is very quickly becoming a complete sucker for this dog.

Fuzz Feets
Apr 11, 2009

Congrats!

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

Glad to hear that she's doing well! I wouldn't worry too much about a little uneasiness at night. This is all a little weird for her, and she'll settle in with a time.

Just a tiny dog.

Found a bandanna, put it on a dog. I have it on good authority that bandanna dogs are the nicest dogs. Casey is not easy to photograph. He's wiggly.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Also it was unclear to me, but I wouldn't crate at night. Greyhounds like to be right next to you when you sleep. Abby's bed is on the floor right next to mine.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

Yeah, we figured out pretty quickly that crating at night wasn't gonna work. Last night she slept next to my side of the bed and slept right through until 630 this morning. :)

I was worried about going back to work today and having to crate her, but I set up a webcam to check up on her. She was noisy for about half an hour after I left and has just been sleeping ever since.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Hah, we basically did the same thing with Mona. First night, we gated her in the hallway so she could see us, but wasn't in the room (we had a cat then and were nervous what they'd get up to at night). She was fine till 1 AM, then flipped out trying to get into the room. Second night, was a crate in our room, which was just way to noisy. Third night was just on dog bed on the floor.

This is what Mona is forced to sleep on now:

We also did the web cam thing when we first got her too, and it was the same - whining for about 30 min, then just sleeping all day.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Mona's bed looks way comfier than mine. :saddowns:

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

I'll lie down in it sometimes, and it is super comfy :)

It's been a slowly evolving process. Started off with just a dog bed, then we added an old comforter and some pillows. The back board was added cause she rolls around a lot, and was starting to scratch up the wall. Then we bought another dog bed, and put it on the other side of of our bed, but moved it onto her bed when we moved the crib into the bedroom when the baby came.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Aw, this thread makes me smile. I actually just had to put my greyhound down yesterday. He was just a few weeks shy of being thirteen, so he lived a long and good life.

This was North:

Best dog I ever had.

Pretty sure my next dog will be a greyhound as well, they're just too goofy and sweet. :3:

Shoozy
Apr 11, 2007
^^I have a cow dog, too. They're the best.

This is Anna. She's about seven now. Her favorite activity is sleeping and licking things. Here she is sleeping:

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

We tried to crate at night with Husker for the first week, but nobody in the house slept the whole time thanks to his crying so he got moved to a bed in our room and that was the end of any nighttime problems. We probably did daytime crating longer than we needed to, but he didn't seem to mind. The biggest thing for him was making sure he still had a "den" to go to - when he first came home the crate was familiar, so he hung out in there if he was feeling overwhelmed, but gradually he transitioned to one particular dog bed in a corner and we were able to take down the crate. If that bed had to be moved for any reason, though, he got very nervous.

I just got back to the US from a cruise and my kitchen remodel should be complete when we arrive home, so we are go for dog :) The rescue is looking at likely 2-year-old girls for us.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

wyoming posted:

Aw, this thread makes me smile. I actually just had to put my greyhound down yesterday. He was just a few weeks shy of being thirteen, so he lived a long and good life.

This was North:

Best dog I ever had.

Pretty sure my next dog will be a greyhound as well, they're just too goofy and sweet. :3:

What a handsome fellow! Good boy, North. :3:

It's pretty amazing how quickly our girl is adjusting. Day two I basically had to make her go into her crate. Day three she napped in it on and off on her own, as long as we were in the room. This morning, we're going about our business in other rooms and she chose to hang out in her crate by herself.

Housebreaking has been a breeze. We've had no accidents in the house so far (knock on wood.) The only issue so far has been a minor case of treat/food aggression, but I'm sure part of that is nervousness and we can work through that in time.

Today we made progress on the stairs! With a lot of whining and pacing back and forth, she made it down the whole flight of stairs by herself!

RazorBunny posted:

I just got back to the US from a cruise and my kitchen remodel should be complete when we arrive home, so we are go for dog :) The rescue is looking at likely 2-year-old girls for us.

I can't wait for you to get a new dog! I hope Murphy can set aside her same-sex aggression for a little while so we can have a play date!

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

I can't wait for you to get a new dog! I hope Murphy can set aside her same-sex aggression for a little while so we can have a play date!

I don't think Murphy realizes greyhounds are dogs, or something, and there's definitely a size component to her same-sex aggressiveness - a dog that's significantly taller than her is fine, and so is a dog that's much shorter, but if they're close to the same size she gets weird. She's met and gotten along with female greys before, so I think it will be okay. Fingers crossed!

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Took half the day off work. Here's what's going on:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I use that exact same folding table (Target I assume) to keep Abby in my bedroom when I'm at work.

I told someone at work I had a greyhound and he said they were ugly dogs :smith:

Berryblood
Sep 12, 2009

various cheeses posted:

Took half the day off work. Here's what's going on:

Your dog appears to be cos-playing a tent. :3:

This thread is bad and making me want a full hound once we get a house and manage to hunt down a white shepard. Something to drive the cars crazy. Keep posting pictures I can show my husband and then tell him that we aren't going to get one.

We're probably going to have one. drat it.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

actionjackson posted:

I told someone at work I had a greyhound and he said they were ugly dogs :smith:

Should have told him that his face was ugly :colbert:

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

Gosh I love seeing all these cute puppies :3:

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We had an incident the other day where Rory started showing some toy aggression.

She was chewing on a small cat toy and my husband tried taking it from her because he was afraid of her swallowing it. She growled and nipped at him. We were both a little stunned and said "No!" loudly at the same time and she froze. Before this, she has growled at me for trying to take a compressed rawhide bone from her. I've been working on teaching her the "Leave it!" command and haven't let her have any high-value toys/treats in the meantime, but is there anything else I can be doing to curb this?

It's odd, because she doesn't show any food aggression at all. I can reach my hand in her bowl, take it away, do whatever with no reaction other than a confused stare. I've been partly feeding her by hand from the bowl for her last couple of meals just to reinforce the idea in her that hands in her food= good thing. It seems to only be with small objects that she decides she wants.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

We had an incident the other day where Rory started showing some toy aggression.

She was chewing on a small cat toy and my husband tried taking it from her because he was afraid of her swallowing it. She growled and nipped at him. We were both a little stunned and said "No!" loudly at the same time and she froze. Before this, she has growled at me for trying to take a compressed rawhide bone from her. I've been working on teaching her the "Leave it!" command and haven't let her have any high-value toys/treats in the meantime, but is there anything else I can be doing to curb this?

It's odd, because she doesn't show any food aggression at all. I can reach my hand in her bowl, take it away, do whatever with no reaction other than a confused stare. I've been partly feeding her by hand from the bowl for her last couple of meals just to reinforce the idea in her that hands in her food= good thing. It seems to only be with small objects that she decides she wants.

Classic resource guarding. I'd pick up "Mine" by Jean Donaldson for some step by step instructions on how to address resource guarding. Saying "no" is a good way to intensify the behaviour. Hand feeding is good, but don't mess around with your hands in her bowl. You can train RG out to imperceptible levels with a bit of hard work and periodic booster sessions for the rest of your dog's life.

Here's a post from the training megathread about RG to get you started: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3364451&pagenumber=12&perpage=40#post387791781

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

Picked up "Mine!" on Amazon Prime, thank you!

Even though I feel like I prepared as much as possible for getting my first dog, I still have a lot of anxiety of "oh god what if I'm a bad owner what if I ruin rhis dog" :ohdear: I hope that feeling wears off...

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Mona did the growl thing with the first rawhide we gave her. So we held off on giving her more. We rather quickly learned that bread was the highest value treat we could give her, so after teaching her leave it, we started using leave it to exchange the raw hide for bread. She's now cool with us taking the raw hide from her.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

Even though I know it's realistic to expect a certain amount of baggage with any rescued dog, it's still reassuring to hear that I'm not the first person ever to have these sorts of issues. It would be nice to be able to fast forward through the newness phase and just be able to enjoy having my dog, but obviously that's not gonna happen.

So far her favorite treats have just been her plain old kibble, so that'll definitely come in handy in training.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Interesting. The only time I've ever seen Lana growl at anyone/anything is when she got another dog's rawhide and started chewing it. She growled at the other dog and then growled at anyone else that tried to take it from her.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I had that issue with Abby initially. If she growled I would hold her muzzle and say "no." Also I have been able to use "drop it" with her after some practice to get her to release items.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Is she relatively fresh from the track kennels? A little bit of resource guarding is pretty common in dogs recently off the track. Good management + time for them to relax in their new environment will usually ease those issues. I've known a few greyhounds who were a little resource guard-y at first, and all but one of them completely stopped after a few months of settling in at home. The one exception is very easily managed, his owners just have to be mindful.

Husker had a real thing for my knitting for the first few months, and if I tried to take it from him he'd get very tense. All it took was a bag of those super stinky Sniffers treats and he'd gladly give me just about anything in order to get one.

I don't want to anthropomorphize them too much, but I do think there's an element of uncertainty about "their belongings" in those first few months, and once they've adjusted to the new environment it goes away. I've seen dogs who went from growling at anybody who touched their bed to happily letting cats and kids snuggle with them.

actionjackson posted:

I had that issue with Abby initially. If she growled I would hold her muzzle and say "no."

This can be a good way to get a dog that doesn't warn you before it bites the poo poo out of you, by the way.