Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
O__O
Jan 26, 2011

by Cowcaster
f

Somebody fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Mar 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

O__O posted:

Pig poop butt

Thanks!

O__O
Jan 26, 2011

by Cowcaster

Ariza posted:

Thanks!

Commie Lasorda
May 15, 2009

IT'S CLOBBERIN' TIME!
idgi is this the next flappy bird?

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
It's doing it in a pile of threads. I guess it's supposed to be funny or maybe make us think or something?

O__O
Jan 26, 2011

by Cowcaster

Ariza posted:

It's doing it in a pile of threads. I guess it's supposed to be funny or maybe make us think or something?
f

Somebody fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Mar 2, 2014

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

It is funny or something

Schizoguy
Mar 1, 2002

I have so many things on my social calendar these days, it is difficult to know which you are making reference to, in particular.
Radiohammer: I'm stuck on Atomic Sexy. I don't even know why I'm having so much more trouble with her than with the rest of the game up to this point. Any advice? Oh, and what does the... the gift box that looks like a bull's eye, what does that one do, anyway?

Konsek
Sep 4, 2006

Slippery Tilde

sixdeadpandas posted:

I asked this a couple pages ago, but you guys were wrapped (rapt?) up in a philosophical discussion about the ethical implcations of filling out surveys.

So I'll ask again, anyone know of two player puzzle games similar to Candy Crush/Bejeweled/Zoo Keeper? I know King is literally the devil, I'm just using it for a gameplay comparison. Turn based or live, it doesn't really matter.

I've enjoyed playing Matching with Friends if you haven't tried it. I'd be interested in more games like this too, as I quite enjoy the back and forth play mixed with turns only taking a minute or two.

Tzar
Jun 9, 2005

Dammit DeeDee, you've failed me for the last time!

Mister Macys posted:

A for-pay game with IAPs and an energy system? And it's not made by EA? They must be slacking off...

gently caress, I might buy it anyway. I want a card game for my phone so bad, and Hearthstone isn't for months at best.

If you're interested in single-player card games, Card City Nights is pretty great.

EdBlackadder
Apr 8, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
For anyone playing Out There, do solar/gravity sails need to be adjacent to specific systems to work and do they stack? I currently have both installed and I'm not seeing any benefit.

Present
Oct 28, 2011

by Shine
Punch Quest went free today. A great android game that everyone should play.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Present posted:

Punch Quest went free today. A great android game that everyone should play.

Just picked this up. Pretty fun. I also just got like 14000 free pounches for watching 28 videos? Weird.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."

Schizoguy posted:

Radiohammer: I'm stuck on Atomic Sexy. I don't even know why I'm having so much more trouble with her than with the rest of the game up to this point. Any advice?

Yeah I had a whole lot of problems too when I came up to that boss; there's such a big leap up in speed and difficulty compared to the stages leading up to it.

I think the only advice I can give you, like in any other difficult stages in all rhythm games, is to just persevere. I ended up beating it after around twenty attempts, and a lot of that had to do with becoming familiar with the song and gaining muscle memory. Since they were so fast I also found it easier to catch the rockets coming in by focussing my eyes on the right side of the screen instead on the crosshair.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Schizoguy posted:

Radiohammer: I'm stuck on Atomic Sexy. I don't even know why I'm having so much more trouble with her than with the rest of the game up to this point. Any advice? Oh, and what does the... the gift box that looks like a bull's eye, what does that one do, anyway?

The best advice I can give you (for all the bosses, but especially Atomic Sexy) is that all of the beats sound very distinct from each other. For Atomic Sexy, your 4 basic beats are:

Hup: Single beat
Hai Hai: Quick double beat (tap tap)
Yeaaaaaah: Slower triple beat, usually also cued in by the music except for one in the middle. The actual notes trail a little bit from the audio cue relative to the other beats!
Hai Hai Hai Hai: Quick quadruple beat (tap tap tap tap). It's actually really easy to differentiate from the standard double beat once you're listening for it!

Also, while typing this up, I found out that a gold medal on the boss in track play unlocks some bonus music. No idea how i'm going to do that on Buddha Handsome, but it's there.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Tzar posted:

If you're interested in single-player card games, Card City Nights is pretty great.

Is there a card encyclopedia or anything so I can see what cards I'm missing or anything? I beat the game and now I don't know if there's anything left to do.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

EdBlackadder posted:

For anyone playing Out There, do solar/gravity sails need to be adjacent to specific systems to work and do they stack? I currently have both installed and I'm not seeing any benefit.

Yes, dependent systems need to be adjacent. You'll see them as active as their block will glow. Zero information about that and only stumbled on that little tidbit accidentally.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Got to one of the endings in Out There after playing it nonstop all day. The Architect Ending. Man what a downer.

Came across a fast little ship with good resistance. Loaded up on fuel, one stack of iron and just booked it. Didn't stop for poo poo unless I needed to stop for fuel. Made it to the last jump with no fuel and just a few units of oxygen. For a game that's only as fast as you want it to be that was intense.

Well worth the four bucks.

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Mar 3, 2014

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
Yeah, it does seem like booking it and not exploring much is a pretty solid strategy. On my last game where I got trapped between two stars I had been doing a lot of exploring and seeing how many elements there are. I never found any tech schematics, so I was uselessly full up with gold, platinum, silicon, rubidium, and some other elements I don't remember. And a couple of Omega. I put one in the gas tank since I was dead anyway and it only gives you 25 fuel.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
I imagine if you snag one of the bigger ships you could take your time, build out, learn the languages but every time I've been graced with one of the big ships I do something dumb like touch an alien glyph and having it warp me into a dead end.

:argh:

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
Out There really leaves me wanting a fuller game experience. The story bits are fine, but basically only worrying about fuel is lame. Iron's rarely an issue, and I don't think I've ever run out of oxygen. I wish the game was more about exploring, diplomacy, and there was trading involved, as well. Most of the choices you make when given scenarios seem to be 50/50 chances, and there's little strategy involved. I don't feel like I'm any better or worse at playing it than I did the first time I played it. Generally, I enjoy playing it, but it just leaves me wanting so much more. Hope they keep developing it. If the Pixel Dungeon guy can keep making his game better, no reason they can't.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Zenzirouj posted:

Yeah, it does seem like booking it and not exploring much is a pretty solid strategy. On my last game where I got trapped between two stars I had been doing a lot of exploring and seeing how many elements there are. I never found any tech schematics, so I was uselessly full up with gold, platinum, silicon, rubidium, and some other elements I don't remember. And a couple of Omega. I put one in the gas tank since I was dead anyway and it only gives you 25 fuel.

Omega can be turned into fuel??? God dammit, I just last chance jumped into the red system with three Omega in my hold.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Omega can be turned into fuel??? God dammit, I just last chance jumped into the red system with three Omega in my hold.

It can be dropped into any of your 3 support systems for a quick 25 unit boost.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

unprofessional posted:

Out There really leaves me wanting a fuller game experience. The story bits are fine, but basically only worrying about fuel is lame. Iron's rarely an issue, and I don't think I've ever run out of oxygen. I wish the game was more about exploring, diplomacy, and there was trading involved, as well. Most of the choices you make when given scenarios seem to be 50/50 chances, and there's little strategy involved. I don't feel like I'm any better or worse at playing it than I did the first time I played it. Generally, I enjoy playing it, but it just leaves me wanting so much more. Hope they keep developing it. If the Pixel Dungeon guy can keep making his game better, no reason they can't.

Yeah, if nothing else I'd like some kind of mechanic that rewards the time I put into previous playthroughs. Maybe have your starting ship be changed to another ship type you've encountered in previous games, have language carry across in some way, have fuel be less of an issue, options for automatically skipping the intro/tutorial/warp, etc. It's hard to get into the game when I know that a bad/unprofitable jump or two is all it takes to put me in the red, after which I'm on eggshells.

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!
Echoing some of the earlier complaints about Out There; the random elements in the game are awfully executed. More often than not my losses have been down to pure RNG - "your critical systems suddenly broke twice in a row, have fun being hosed", every system turning up empty or full of rock planets when I need gas (the scanner showing other system's planets helps if you luck into finding it), being teleported into dead ends, not getting any of the bigger ships.. You might just as well keep rolling realworld dice, it's less annoying and cheaper too.

EDIT: Taking notes of the correct alien responses / gifts based on the number of words per row would remove at least one of the RNG-layers, but that's just dumb busywork and not fun. Also, apparently it's a good idea to cancel out of the gift-giving dialogue and talk to the same alien again, cancel and repeat until he stops answering - not sure if it's a bug, but I got a fair number of words this way.

Dropbear fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Mar 4, 2014

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!
e: Quote is not edit. I'm terrible at writing from a phone.

Dropbear fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Mar 4, 2014

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Hey Android peoples. I post a lot in the game dev threads but I decided I'd poke over here (with permission) to let you peoples know that I released a real life game on the Google Play store. It was originally meant to be a Flappy Jam game but I decided to go through with it all the way to the end and see if I could get it on all 3 stores. iOS and Windows are currently in review, which means YOU get first access due to Google being lazy!

Basically just run really fast and tap to dodge the things. Let me know what you think!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.poemdexter.scissors

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Back doesn't do anything, even at the 'game over' screen. You should probably make it bring up that "Are you sure you want to exit?" dialogue every other game uses.

I like the music.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Loving Out There, is there anything else similar that isn't F2P? Space setting optional.

Present
Oct 28, 2011

by Shine

feedmyleg posted:

Loving Out There, is there anything else similar that isn't F2P? Space setting optional.

Organ trail is similar.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

big mean giraffe posted:

Back doesn't do anything, even at the 'game over' screen. You should probably make it bring up that "Are you sure you want to exit?" dialogue every other game uses.

I like the music.

I didn't want back to pause because it's super able to be abused. Maybe back button takes you back to main menu every time?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

poemdexter posted:

I didn't want back to pause because it's super able to be abused. Maybe back button takes you back to main menu every time?

Don't have the game pause, then. Have the game still running with the pop-up up. A second tap of the back button kills the menu and lets the user continue, just in case the first press was an accident. Actually tapping the on-screen menu button kills the app or returns the user to the main menu.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
I really want to like Out There but getting repeatedly hosed over by the rng isn't fun after the 20th time.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Potsticker posted:

Don't have the game pause, then. Have the game still running with the pop-up up. A second tap of the back button kills the menu and lets the user continue, just in case the first press was an accident. Actually tapping the on-screen menu button kills the app or returns the user to the main menu.

This is a pretty good idea. Thanks! What's odd is that there's no strict guidelines like with the windows store. They dictate what the buttons do in games.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Heads up, Venture Towns by Kairosoft is on sale on Google Play. Seems to be $1.20/€0.99.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

Antti posted:

Heads up, Venture Towns by Kairosoft is on sale on Google Play. Seems to be $1.20/€0.99.

Is there any difference between it and every other Kairosoft game? Beastie Bay is the only one that ever seemed to get very far away from their usual formula.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

poemdexter posted:

This is a pretty good idea. Thanks! What's odd is that there's no strict guidelines like with the windows store. They dictate what the buttons do in games.

The guidelines aren't strict, and tjat's probably why a lot of developers ignore them.
http://developer.android.com/design/patterns/navigation.html

This page here is especially ignored by lazy developers porting from iOS apps.
http://developer.android.com/design/patterns/pure-android.html

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

The back button's really the only custom button on Android though, the home and task switcher buttons aren't meant to be messed with. Handling it properly does take a bit of work for the developer, but at the same time it gives them a lot of control over the app's navigation, so hopefully when you press it things happen that make sense in the context of the app.

Pretty important for games, especially with on-screen buttons. Sometimes pressing back is bad news

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Potsticker posted:

The guidelines aren't strict, and tjat's probably why a lot of developers ignore them.
http://developer.android.com/design/patterns/navigation.html

This page here is especially ignored by lazy developers porting from iOS apps.
http://developer.android.com/design/patterns/pure-android.html

The thing about those guidelines is they don't take into consideration different implementations of navigation. Like the whole 'Navigation Within Your App' part of the first link is based on the assumption that activities are used in the app, but if someone chooses to use fragments instead, for example, adhering to those guidelines would become problematic to them. In fact, it's pretty easy to catch even standard android apps like Gmail or Play deviate form rules here and there. It still is very important to understand specifics of a platform you're working with, be it Android, iOS or Windows Phone, so guidelines are there to give a more general idea of what OS and hardware devs had in mind for certain User interactions. Even Aplle's HIG states outright that while standard control elements and practices are preferable, most of them don't have to be followed exactly if the result is in accordance to general feel of iOS (admittedly, handling of hardware buttons is not one of the things you can deviate from).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Finally got around to trying Organ Trail from a humble bundle. I sure do like how the only times I've been attacked by bikers was after I repaired my car. gently caress you game.

• Locked thread