Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

:smith:

That made me sad despite the fact I think Imagine is a pretty poor MMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
I'm kind of excited to see what P3 Protagonist's personality is like, since of the most recent Persona protagonists, he is the most blank-slate. Plus, having him deliver actual lines in voice will be a bit jarring, but in a good way!

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Danbri posted:

(That's all the ones translated so far, I assume you can keep an eye on the guy's channel for the later ones.)

There haven't been any new updates recently. They've covered everyone and did a P3 and P4 version of the trailer. The only thing left is the Velvet Room attendants, and there's something secret enough on the pre order poster that they still haven't shown the design.

Neeksy posted:

I'm kind of excited to see what P3 Protagonist's personality is like, since of the most recent Persona protagonists, he is the most blank-slate. Plus, having him deliver actual lines in voice will be a bit jarring, but in a good way!

According to early movie reviews he's a pretty depressed person. Something was mentioned about him not caring if he lived or died.

I'm pretty sure Yuri Lowenthal used his Yosuke voice so it might be a little jarring.

Dehry fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Mar 4, 2014

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

subhelios posted:

I don't know if anyone other than myself was still playing it, but SMT: Imagine finally got the ax this weekend.

I logged into it one last time a week or two ago to see if anyone was still there, and it was the exact same lv97 people who were playing it years ago, still standing around idle in the same spots. It was kinda creepy, in a way.

Not gonna lie though, i'll miss it a bit. It had a lot of wasted potential, but it did have some neat stuff. Demon breeding was fun, the PvP was alright, and it had some good music.

Also it had some really great mounts.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Jakuzure Nonon posted:

I logged into it one last time a week or two ago to see if anyone was still there, and it was the exact same lv97 people who were playing it years ago, still standing around idle in the same spots. It was kinda creepy, in a way.

Not gonna lie though, i'll miss it a bit. It had a lot of wasted potential, but it did have some neat stuff. Demon breeding was fun, the PvP was alright, and it had some good music.

Also it had some really great mounts.

Was the Demi-fiend battle in the american version? That was the only thing I found interesting from IMAGINE.

subhelios
May 26, 2013

Unfortunately, there is no such game as 'World of Submarines.'

:golfclap: I wish I'd thought of that one myself.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Dehry posted:

According to early movie reviews he's a pretty depressed person. Something was mentioned about him not caring if he lived or died.
He was the same way in the P3 manga, so you can probably read that if you want an idea of his personality.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Was the Demi-fiend battle in the american version? That was the only thing I found interesting from IMAGINE.

I didn't even know there was a Demi-fiend battle in Imagine, so i assume not.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Freak Futanari posted:

The music in Imagine was all pretty great, yeah. When they started adding new content in Japan they actually added a lot more great stuff which wasn't collected in the actual soundtrack, most of which is good remixes of older SMT tracks.

The best of them was what they used for the final boss battle, a great mashup of SMT2's final boss, SMT3's lucifer battle, and the law theme. I dunno if they ever even finished off the storyline in the NA version, but it's a shame that track is going to remain in obscurity.

DoctorX
Dec 11, 2013

Tithin Melias posted:

Just something to notice - Persona using Sho has a SEESlike Armband (yellow coloured, with a circle, and 5 pointed star touching the rims of the circle) while ME-Sho does not.

They both have it, only each one has it on a different arm. It might be intentional, or maybe they just mirrored one of the images and didn't notice the armband.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Neeksy posted:

Until Arena P4 main character was a blank slate as well. And look what we got with that, the least interesting character in the game. He is incredibly bland and I'd rather he just stayed home and left the talking to the people who already did so in the main game.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I wish they had gone with Anime Narukami, just make him the biggest deadpan weirdo.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I'd be alright if Minato was that guy who tries acting anime cool by brooding everywhere, but real people don't act like that, so everyone just shrugs him off as a weirdo.

Atlus doesn't have the balls for that, unfortunately.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

projecthalaxy posted:

I wish they had gone with Anime Narukami, just make him the biggest deadpan weirdo.

One of his shadow's win poses are based off of the 5 seconds it appeared in the anime.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I actually think P4 did a reasonably good job portraying its silent protagonist; he definitely has some presence and charisma through the dialogue choices. Anime Yu just has him make all of the goofy decisions, which you should have done anyway. P4 Arena Yu is fairly dull though, unfortunately.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Meiteron posted:

The best of them was what they used for the final boss battle,

Was the soundtrack this is from ever actually released?

Because this rules and I'd definitely be interested in hearing the rest of them.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Meiteron posted:

The music in Imagine was all pretty great, yeah. When they started adding new content in Japan they actually added a lot more great stuff which wasn't collected in the actual soundtrack, most of which is good remixes of older SMT tracks.

The best of them was what they used for the final boss battle, a great mashup of SMT2's final boss, SMT3's lucifer battle, and the law theme. I dunno if they ever even finished off the storyline in the NA version, but it's a shame that track is going to remain in obscurity.

I was hoping to add this to a youtube playlist but there's too many similarly named files :(

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Tithin Melias posted:

I was hoping to add this to a youtube playlist but there's too many similarly named files :(

You could try naming them by game and then track title. Something like:

[Nocturne] Fiend Battle
[DSRK2] Fiend Battle
[SMT IV] Fiend Battle

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Is there a Let's Play of Imagine out there? The plot looked interesting, what with being the bridge between SMT and SMT II, but I could never manage to get into it.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Freak Futanari posted:

There's always people like this in MMOs and its kinda weird. I guess I just don't get what they do except have the game minimized and never do anything with it. Same with people in IRC channels from a decade ago. I imagine if I went to any private RO server from a decade ago I'd find some of the same people standing around.

Imagine seemed like it was gonna be cool but at some point it just wasn't worth the effort, how was the plot?

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Anime Narukami is the best take on a silent protagonist ever. He's an unreadable weirdo, who's both decisive and confused all the time.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Arena Yu is pretty dull, but the scene where he confronts Yosuke about Nanako is kinda great.

Unfortunately, that's not actually Yu talking, so that doesn't count. :v:

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

hubris.height posted:

Imagine seemed like it was gonna be cool but at some point it just wasn't worth the effort, how was the plot?

Incoherent and unfinished, mostly.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Color Printer posted:

Arena Yu is pretty dull, but the scene where he confronts Yosuke about Nanako is kinda great.

That was one of the best scenes in that game and I hope P4AU (is that the abbreviation?) gives us a few joke stories where we play as the hyper exaggerated characters. :allears:

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
We really don't know about story mode yet. The list of win quotes and arcade mode story items only seems to have them fighting their way up to the tower that appears and saying something along the lines of "I have to reach the top" and ending, much like how arcade mode ended after defeating Shadow Labrys in P4A.

The shadow characters don't seem to have a story in that regard, so it's probably just going to be a lot of taunting pre and post battle.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Dehry posted:

There haven't been any new updates recently. They've covered everyone and did a P3 and P4 version of the trailer. The only thing left is the Velvet Room attendants, and there's something secret enough on the pre order poster that they still haven't shown the design.

They skipped Kanji for a character trailer, which is a big shame.

Koromaru as well, though I dunno really what that would consist of considering he probably has no dialog.

Danbri
Jan 10, 2012

Try your ability! Do it!

lesbian baphomet posted:

Koromaru as well, though I dunno really what that would consist of considering he probably has no dialog.

Hopefully they remember that Aigis comprehends dog language. The best dog in video games definitely needs a voice we can understand.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Danbri posted:

Hopefully they remember that Aigis comprehends dog language. The best dog in video games definitely needs a voice we can understand.
They should just do what Shadow Hearts: Covenant did and have the actual words he's saying in parenthesis next to the dog noises.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

I hope the Shadows get the full story treatment in Arena 2 because even the P4 shadows never really got a chance to get fully fleshed out. I mean most of them get their original tv show and a prefight monologue (some P4s and all P3s even less), compare that to Arena where everyone got hundreds of lines, most of them in their head. I know the writers can take the Shadow idea and run with it much more than they have, so I'm excited.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The Shadows are definitely not getting a story mode as they're all one-note characters. They're funny and interesting for sporadic appearances, but if I had to follow any of them for a whole story (Especially if it were nothing but text over everything) I would quickly become sick of them. Even their small return in P4A was very hamfisted (Gods posing as shadows) and forced. The best part of P4A's story had nothing to do with P3 or P4, so I'm hoping P4AU does it again with Sho's stuff, otherwise I'm in it for more gameplay and beating terrible Kanjis online.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Danbri posted:

Arena basically explains why she knows how to speak dog, I doubt they suddenly forgot.

Color Printer posted:

Unfortunately, that's not actually Yu talking, so that doesn't count. :v:

Really? I thought that scene was lame. P4A in general was kinda lame, though I did like seeing how the other characters think.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

Really? I thought that scene was lame. P4A in general was kinda lame, though I did like seeing how the other characters think.

I'm sorry you dislike funny things.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The P4AU shadows are just normal shadows the ME turned into the character's shadow selves to taunt them. Persona shadows won't attack others and are only interested in killing their real self and anyone who gets in the way of doing it. I'm pretty sure this part has been in the advertising, so I'm not spoiling anything.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Even if they don't get elevated past the one note characters they were, I am interested to see what the Shadows do. Especially the P3s. Like what's Akihiko's shadow gonna be. I can only assume it will be "you say you're Mr Tough Fighter defend everybody, but your sister's dead, your best friend's dead, [ your girlfriend Minako's dead], you're lame as heck."

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Saagonsa posted:

I'm sorry you dislike funny things.

Yukiko, Chie, and Kanji had good alt endings. That scene wasn't funny though. The whole plot of the game is just "yeah, most of the P4 characters are still really stupid in case you forgot." Except for a few outliers, like Naoto who actually is allowed to figure things out for once. Also the game being super inconsistent bugs me, there's no real continuity for what happens. They should have just made their sequel an RPG and the fighting game separate. Oh well.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I think the point wasn't 'they're still really stupid' so much as, like Yosuke says, that facing yourself isn't a one-time thing. They weren't magically fixed by their dramatic shadow fights, they're still gonna slip up and make mistakes, and in the few months since P4 ended they've all kinda gotten lax. It's the same reason none of them have their ultimate personas.

Iunno it wasn't exactly a necessary sequel, but it was a nice little character thing.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Manatee Cannon posted:

Arena basically explains why she knows how to speak dog, I doubt they suddenly forgot.

Didn't the Answer negate her ability to do that? As she progressed, she could understand it less and less, from what I remember.

My problem with P4A is mostly that I am so incredibly uninterested in Labrys. The robots were the weakest part of P3's plot and they just shoved more into P4.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

Yukiko, Chie, and Kanji had good alt endings. That scene wasn't funny though. The whole plot of the game is just "yeah, most of the P4 characters are still really stupid in case you forgot." Except for a few outliers, like Naoto who actually is allowed to figure things out for once. Also the game being super inconsistent bugs me, there's no real continuity for what happens. They should have just made their sequel an RPG and the fighting game separate. Oh well.

I was loving with you bro.

Though thinking about it, Arena would've been a pretty short as an RPG unless they padded it like they did The Answer, and I don't think anyone would want to play that.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

projecthalaxy posted:

Even if they don't get elevated past the one note characters they were, I am interested to see what the Shadows do. Especially the P3s. Like what's Akihiko's shadow gonna be. I can only assume it will be "you say you're Mr Tough Fighter defend everybody, but your sister's dead, your best friend's dead, [ your girlfriend Minako's dead], you're lame as heck."

http://pastebin.com/MjztBvGB

It's not much, but some of the quotes were translated by a 4chan guy.

vs. Akihiko:
"Is this the end of your escapism that you call 'training'? The death that awaits you after this is nothing but reality!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proto Cloud
Feb 18, 2013

Maybe next year...

ImpAtom posted:

Law and Chaos, by their nature, are extremes but extremes that people will agree with none the less. I am sure there are unambiguously people out there who agree with the idea of total freedom without any limits or total control and perfect safety. Christ, there's people who agree with the villain in Metal Gear Rising and that is a guy who literally steals children's brains.

I wouldn't be so opposed to this in the SMT games if it weren't that they at least represent a Light-Law/Chaos and Dark-Law/Chaos path. It just gets old seeing the whole THESE GUYS SURE ARE ASSHOLES, WHY WOULD YOU EVER JOIN THEM? schtick. Especially when in SMTIV, There were people like Abbott Hugo that were willing to compromise and in the DLC they explain that the angels got out of hand and were acting outside of God's will. Of course, that's not always the case and there's some games like Raidou 2, Devil Survivor and Strange Journey that mix it up.

I'd rather see a more balanced approach to this than just this is wrong and this is right, when life is all about shades of grey and moral ambiguity. I wish SMT would try to work to reflect that more than just take an easy way out for their writing and make 2 cheap endings and 1 satisfying one.