Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

RazorBunny posted:

This can be a good way to get a dog that doesn't warn you before it bites the poo poo out of you, by the way.

I did that based on what some people in my group recommended. All I can say is it doesn't happen anymore and I've never been bitten.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

actionjackson posted:

I did that based on what some people in my group recommended. All I can say is it doesn't happen anymore and I've never been bitten.

And this is why the internet is not always to be trusted. Sometimes it works. Sometimes, as RB said, the growling will naturally dissipate. Sometimes it will intensify the behaviour. Sometimes it creates a dog that will not growl before it bites.

There are safer ways to address the behaviour. Grabbing the muzzle only punishes the growl but does nothing to address the underlying emotion.

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

RazorBunny posted:

This can be a good way to get a dog that doesn't warn you before it bites the poo poo out of you, by the way.

My rescue recommended a similar thing. "If he growls you need to punish him!" They were all about Showing Your Dominance too.

In happier news, my mom sent me a bunch of postcards of greyhounds. I think most of these are from the 40's, probably collected when she was a girl in Germany, except the lady which is a 1985 postcard of a 1930 picture.

Enjoy!

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Well luckily the "Leave it" is starting to stick. Yesterday she was carrying around a pair of sunglasses and today she picked a rotten carrot up off the floor and both times my husband said "Leave it!" and she did. :) Hopefully with some work and positive encouragement we can make it a consistent thing.

In digging around for more information, I found an interesting article about greys and resource guarding. It's very interesting and even mentions "Mine!" at the end as a good resource. I'm sure this is just new owner anxiety talking, but it is good to know that my new dog isn't broken. :)

quote:

When I was at the Wheeling adoption kennel picking Phoenix out to foster, I realized that one thing they do there might contribute to greyhounds and guarding behavior. Some greys in the adoption kennel are more toy motivated than others. Some will degut their stuffies. So, not every grey has a stuffed animal in their kennel. When the dogs are let out of their crates, it is very common for them to run around and look into each other’s kennels to see what is in there. I did witness more than one grey steal another’s toy and take it to their own crate. It was obvious to me that this could help guarding behavior develop. Do not get me wrong: I am not criticizing them, as it made sense not to give every dog a toy. But, it also made sense also that this environment could contribute to guarding behavior later in life.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Most of our greys have loving loved stealing poo poo but after a few moments they lose interest in whatever they've stolen and look for something else to keep up that thieving high.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

It was always funny to have Husker and Murphy together, they were both sneaky thieves and would go back and forth taking stuff from each other.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

a life less posted:

And this is why the internet is not always to be trusted. Sometimes it works. Sometimes, as RB said, the growling will naturally dissipate. Sometimes it will intensify the behaviour. Sometimes it creates a dog that will not growl before it bites.

There are safer ways to address the behaviour. Grabbing the muzzle only punishes the growl but does nothing to address the underlying emotion.

Is there a way to address it that always works? Every dog is different. If I had done it and it hadn't had a positive effect I would have tried something different.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

actionjackson posted:

Is there a way to address it that always works? Every dog is different. If I had done it and it hadn't had a positive effect I would have tried something different.

In my experience, trading up as outlined in "Mine!" slowly and in a structured environment is hugely successful and safe.

Fuzz Feets
Apr 11, 2009

Well revised timeline for getting our new friend is target adoption date around 3/29/14. Still being patient!

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

a life less posted:

In my experience, trading up as outlined in "Mine!" slowly and in a structured environment is hugely successful and safe.

Can you give me some information (links, whatever) on why what I did was problematic? I'm just asking if there is some actual data beyond your own personal experience.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

actionjackson posted:

Can you give me some information (links, whatever) on why what I did was problematic? I'm just asking if there is some actual data beyond your own personal experience.

Here's an article by Pat Miller. She's a well respected dog trainer. http://www.peaceablepaws.com/articles.php?subaction=showfull&id=1282173843

Here's an article by Ahisma Dog Training. Again, Grisha Stewart is well regarded in the dog training world. http://ahimsadogtraining.com/blog/resource-guarding/

gameday
Apr 29, 2006

Hungry for sport
My dogs are nerds. All these pictures of everyone's awesome new hounds is making me want another one.

ghostgirl118
Oct 15, 2013

I've seen some shit
I've been lurking here for a while, enjoying all of the beautiful pictures. Me and my husband are planning to get a greyhound this Thursday after months of waiting, so I decided I would finally join the party. I am looking for a soft sided crate for her, since we travel a lot, and go to family homes on some weekends. We already own a metal folding crate, so I was wondering if anyone would suggest a specific type of soft sided crate for traveling, or if it's really just better to deal with the heavy metal crate and just keep the one instead of having a spare. I know that greyhounds are so large that sometimes it's difficult to find a good sized crate, so if anyone has a specific type they prefer, we could use some suggestions!!

Also, as soon as we get here we're planning on posting some pictures. Although you guys will recognize immediately that she is one of molotov's grand pups. :dance:

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

I got an email from the rescue coordinator - they were delayed badly because of the weather around here, but they are aiming to bring a batch of dogs in from the rescue kennel at the track either the last weekend of March or the first weekend of April. There should be a ladyhound in that haul for me :razz:

Fuzz Feets
Apr 11, 2009

I got the same email, hopefully they will have a mellow cat friendly boy for us too. Looks like we will be adoption buddies! I am the only person on the email that has a three letter first name.

HazCat
May 4, 2009

I see a lot of people saying "do not ever, ever, ever have your sighthound off-leash in an area that isn't fenced in, because that hound will see a plastic bag floating lazily on the horizon and then you will be sad and dogless". And then I go to YouTube to live vicariously through Greyhound/Borzoi/Saluki videos there, and see a bunch of sighthounds off-leash at the beach.

What's going on here? Are the owners just being a bit (or very) negligent? Is the 'no off-leash ever' advice intended more for new owners, and more flexible once you know the bounds of your dog's recall? Does the US have some sort of weird fenced-in beach area system? Or is the beach special in some way that makes going off-leash less risky?

Also, please continue posting photo spam, everyone! This thread has single-handedly turned me into a dog person, and I badly need photo-sustenance to survive until I can adopt one :3:

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

A little from column A and little from column B. It's important advice for new owners because, in general, greys will run off if given the chance. They like exploring and they're loving fast. They will follow their eyes and nose a long distance before noticing they aren't with their people anymore. Most of them are retired racers and have been trained to run and not much else. Some dogs are going to be less likely to bolt at the first available opportunity than others of course and some of those videos may be of dogs that never raced which would likely make it a lot easier to train them to stick around.

In my experience greys tend to mellow out a lot when they get close to about 7 years old and are more likely to stand back and look out through an open door or gate as opposed to trying to make a break for it whenever given the chance. I could certainly see some older, well trained, greys being able to be off leash without a fence in certain circumstances though I would never do it myself.

Oh and a side note on their sight. That sighthound designation is no joke. Patch will be sitting on the couch 15' from the glass patio door and see the top inch of a opossum*/rabbit/squirrel 75' away through 1" slits in the fence. If there's something interesting on the horizon they will see it.

* One of those bastards had been hanging around the past few days and it was driving him nuts. A couple nights ago while he was out in the yard the stupid thing tried walking along the neighbor's chain link fence and Patch grabbed it shook it like a baby a Polaroid picture. Mercifully the opossum decided to play dead long enough for us to get Patch away from it and deal with it. That's actually the second opossum he's caught. The first one was a juvenile and he actually managed to kill that one. This one was a big adult (probably the parent of the other one) and if it had fought back things would have been very lovely.

Shoozy
Apr 11, 2007

Galler posted:

Good information

Our dog, Anna, has always been mellow, and even more so now that she's aging. At her most rambunctious she would run maybe three laps around the neighboring school's field and then come back to my side and stare at me until I leashed her up to take her home. She's seven now and is essentially a 65 pound cat. She sleeps most of the time and if something catches her eye, she'll maybe lift her head to look and flick her tail. Then she flops her head back down with a sigh and goes back to sleep.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

In addition to what everyone else has said, there are actually fenced dog beaches in some parts of the US. It's the same theory as dog parks, just a stretch of beach instead.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Been volunteering for some turnouts the last few weeks; I'm now convinced that all greyhounds are total wusses when it comes to rain. There are a couple 3ish year old males that are great and fit my needs (friendly, ok with all dogs, available for apartments), but I'm still a few long months away from moving. It also sounds like around 30 will be arriving at the shelter later this month, so things should be exciting there.

Praxis19
Nov 4, 2009

No justice no peace ACAB

ghostgirl118 posted:

I've been lurking here for a while, enjoying all of the beautiful pictures. Me and my husband are planning to get a greyhound this Thursday after months of waiting, so I decided I would finally join the party. I am looking for a soft sided crate for her, since we travel a lot, and go to family homes on some weekends. We already own a metal folding crate, so I was wondering if anyone would suggest a specific type of soft sided crate for traveling, or if it's really just better to deal with the heavy metal crate and just keep the one instead of having a spare. I know that greyhounds are so large that sometimes it's difficult to find a good sized crate, so if anyone has a specific type they prefer, we could use some suggestions!!

Also, as soon as we get here we're planning on posting some pictures. Although you guys will recognize immediately that she is one of molotov's grand pups. :dance:

So I'm married to this particular goonette, and we just brought our new hound home today!

And for the astute observer, yes, that collar does have all the Eeveelutions on it. We are nerds. But Tatianna's done great through this whole crazy day! A 4 hour car ride, a trip to the dog park to get some energy out, stairs (the struggle is real), and a new crate, but she looks quite happy! This is the best day! :3:

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out

Doulos posted:

So I'm married to this particular goonette, and we just brought our new hound home today!

And for the astute observer, yes, that collar does have all the Eeveelutions on it. We are nerds. But Tatianna's done great through this whole crazy day! A 4 hour car ride, a trip to the dog park to get some energy out, stairs (the struggle is real), and a new crate, but she looks quite happy! This is the best day! :3:

She looks like the most proper old lady. I love her already. :3:

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Need more pictures of that handsome lady (and that collar is awesome). :3:

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Doulos posted:

Ugh that collar...why didn't I see that one first??? To be fair though Rory prob wouldn't look good in the pink anyway....

I feel you on the stairs thing. We're two and a half weeks in and she still has a paralyzing fear of our stairs. We're working on going up a few more stairs every night so she's not overwhelmed.

Speaking of collars, is anyone interested in the Pikachu/Totoro collar I posted a few pages back? I bought it for the black female we were supposed to get that didn't end up working out, and it doesn't really look good on Rory. I asked Khelmar if it was okay to offer it up in this thread. I paid $25 for it on Etsy, but I'm just trying to give it away for free. I'm sure it will look better on someone else's hound than sitting in a drawer in my kitchen. It's a really well made 2-inch wide martingale collar, size M (fits a 13-17 inch neck). If anyone wants it, PM me!

In other news, Rory discovered Couch today.

pastor of muppets fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Mar 14, 2014

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Abby has just been staring at me the last few days, despite me doing everything I can with different activities

*goes on long walk after work since it's finally warmer*
*gets home*

:stare:

*gives food and water*
*finishes*

*gives some pieces of fruit*

*throws toy*

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

Here's an acquaintance of mine doing hip rebounds with her young Greyhound. The dog also does agility, can weave walk in reverse and lots of other cool stuff. Greys are cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsHxCrRwHN8

Praxis19
Nov 4, 2009

No justice no peace ACAB
We've been making good progress with our hound; she's mastered the stairs leading to our apartment, though the inside stairs are still really intimidating. We've gotten her to start eating all her food consistently, though she's still mostly unwilling to eat anything outside her crate. Is this a habit we should work towards breaking? If she wants to eat her food in her crate, it doesn't really bug us, but we would like her to be able to eat treats anywhere in the house, or at dog parks or wherever. Right now she almost always takes any treats back to her crate and eats them there. Moreover, she doesn't really seem to enjoy any of the treats we do give her. Do you guys have any treats your hounds go crazy for? I want her to actually eat them, not take them to her crate and sit on them. Also, training will be difficult if we can't find something to really motivate her.

On a rather funny note, she hasn't quite figured out couches. As in, we've gotten her onto the couch, but she doesn't seem to want to lay on the couch once she's up there. Photo evidence included.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Did you try tiny little bits of cheese or pepperoni that are too small to do anything with except snarf right away?

Pretty sure she will figure out the couch :)

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Went to a meet-and-greet thing over the weekend, took a couple pictures. Greyhounds are silly.

Mystery track injury

This dog was the only actually adoptable dog at the booth. She was very timid at first, but after a few hours she just got tired and accepted some attention.

Lhet fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Mar 18, 2014

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

Today marks three weeks since we brought Rory home. My husband, who has taken three years of convincing to let me get a dog, has officially decided that greyhounds are The Best Dogs. It's so cute watching his face light up when he gets home and she's excited to see him. :3:

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

pastor of muppets posted:

Today marks three weeks since we brought Rory home. My husband, who has taken three years of convincing to let me get a dog, has officially decided that greyhounds are The Best Dogs. It's so cute watching his face light up when he gets home and she's excited to see him. :3:

My husband was the same way. First he wasn't sure about getting a dog, then he wanted to stick with a small dog, then he wasn't sure about greyhounds, then a greyhound leaned on him at a meet and greet and he thought greyhounds might be okay, and now he's decided he never wants any other kind of dog.

How do your cats feel about Rory?

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

Both cats pretty much ignore her 95% of the time. Sometimes she'll sniff at them; Rocky will sniff right back and Layla will hiss and smack her on the nose. I have high hopes that they'll all eventually be cuddle buddies, but I'll settle for mutual indifference, too.

ghostgirl118
Oct 15, 2013

I've seen some shit
Rory looks adorable. Congrats on three weeks! Today is Tatianna's one week celebration. When I left this morning she was joyfully bounding around dad, trying to convince him to race her. She's been quite perky lately, hopefully due to getting used to us. Even at the vet for her check up and everything, she was super happy and relaxed.

And to the person who said she looks like a proper lady, here's her on her way to rehearsal. As you can tell, she's very sassy. And what you can't see is her irritation at us singing in the front seat.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I have one of those backseat covers too. Abby refuses to lay down in the car though, so I use a harness attached to the seat belt.

ghostgirl118
Oct 15, 2013

I've seen some shit
I actually made that one by hand, so I can't complain too much about it's shoddy work. Tatianna will lay down on it even without the chevron pillow, but she likes it much better with her pillow in it. Do you have a link to your seat belt harness thing? She refuses to lay down in my husband's car at all, and I would like her to not go flying if something happens. :ohdear:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I'll have to check when I get home. It's some place based in Colorado, and I ordered it over the phone :corsair:

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I have this: http://usak9outfitters.com/CH.htm
It is pretty hard core.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

slap me silly posted:

I have this: http://usak9outfitters.com/CH.htm
It is pretty hard core.

That's the one I have, thanks

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

I need to get a new liner/pad for the cargo area of my SUV before the new pooch comes home. I had a nice egg crate foam one that we'd bought at Costco and cut down slightly to fit, but my sister's dog Browning fell in love with it while she was driving my car for a while and I feel bad taking it from him. They haven't had the foam beds the last few times I've been in to Costco, so I need to find one somewhere else that won't be outrageously expensive.

The foam is great for the cargo area because it's still pretty flat and not too squishy, so when I don't have the dog back there I can load groceries and such in the car.

Although, I suppose I could let her ride in the back seat...Husker had to ride in the very back because we got him before my son could drive, so we often had three people in the car and he just didn't fit in the back seat with a person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

RazorBunny posted:

I need to get a new liner/pad for the cargo area of my SUV before the new pooch comes home. I had a nice egg crate foam one that we'd bought at Costco and cut down slightly to fit, but my sister's dog Browning fell in love with it while she was driving my car for a while and I feel bad taking it from him. They haven't had the foam beds the last few times I've been in to Costco, so I need to find one somewhere else that won't be outrageously expensive.

The foam is great for the cargo area because it's still pretty flat and not too squishy, so when I don't have the dog back there I can load groceries and such in the car.

Although, I suppose I could let her ride in the back seat...Husker had to ride in the very back because we got him before my son could drive, so we often had three people in the car and he just didn't fit in the back seat with a person.

Costco has memory foam bath mats that fit a large crate really nicely...