Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Sir Tonk posted:

No buy my '94 with 230k miles. I'm gonna put it up for sale in a month, or two, now that I'm possibly getting a Hornet Wagon.

Pictures to come, once it's here.

:confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Yeah, the Sportabout. I'm finalizing the deal today. First time I've shipped a car, kinda nervous. I'll post a rundown once it's here.

netwerk23
Aug 22, 2000
I spelled 'network' wrong.

splangtastic posted:

My new (to me) 2008 Mazdaspeed 3. A few mods and just a hair shy of 300whp. I love it
A few mods and you're at 300 wheel? I thought they were like 220-240 stock wheel?

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Sir Tonk posted:

Yeah, the Sportabout. I'm finalizing the deal today. First time I've shipped a car, kinda nervous. I'll post a rundown once it's here.

Holy gently caress I was joking. That is awesome. Year? Engine? Plans? Can't wait for the update!

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Holy gently caress I was joking. That is awesome. Year? Engine? Plans? Can't wait for the update!

I'll put together a teaser after I'm sure I'll be buying it. If so, then I'll have it in less than two weeks.

edit

Here's a photo from what he had in the listing, I'll clean it up once it's here and take some good shots in decent lighting.

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Feb 25, 2014

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

netwerk23 posted:

A few mods and you're at 300 wheel? I thought they were like 220-240 stock wheel?

Yeah that does sound a bit off for lightly modded.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Sir Tonk posted:

I'll put together a teaser after I'm sure I'll be buying it. If so, then I'll have it in less than two weeks.

edit

Here's a photo from what he had in the listing, I'll clean it up once it's here and take some good shots in decent lighting.

Hell yeah green cars from the '70s. :respek: 258? 304?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
258 with the Chrysler auto. Would've rather had a four speed, but not a lot to choose from out there.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Dear Ford Motor Company,

The U.S. has not had a Focus wagon since 2007. You probably canned it because it didn't sell well. Maybe if you brought out the 2015 wagon to the states things would be better? It is a lot better looking than previous attempts.

Love,
djfooboo

blueblueblue
Mar 18, 2009
That plate is oddly appropriate, with the long headlights it looks like the car is focusing really hard on something.

An ST version of that would be amazing.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Good thing they do make an ST version of it.

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=27891

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Yeah, but we don't get it and never loving will.

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003
God! A red nugget! A fat egg under a dog!

djfooboo posted:

Dear Ford Motor Company,

The U.S. has not had a Focus wagon since 2007. You probably canned it because it didn't sell well. Maybe if you brought out the 2015 wagon to the states things would be better? It is a lot better looking than previous attempts.

Love,
djfooboo

I never post in AI anymore but I will buy this if it's offered in the US with a manual. Guaranteed, 100%. See that, Ford? There's one.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

VacaGrande posted:

I never post in AI anymore but I will buy this if it's offered in the US with a manual. Guaranteed, 100%. See that, Ford? There's one.
Count me as two.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

You and the thousands of others say that, then Ford sells 12 ever. Repeat forever.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Bovril Delight posted:

You and the thousands of others say that, then Ford sells 12 ever. Repeat forever.

Focus wagons are not an infrequent sighting in my neck of the woods (Midwest). And since it's a global platform now shouldn't it be easier to bring over anyway?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

I always wondered. What if they just sold fast, manual wagons. Seems like 98% of would be wagon buyers are enthusiasts. Problem is that 98% of wagon buying enthusiasts are cheap bastards who buy used.

Pretty sure I've seen more CTS-V wagons than CTS wagons.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

djfooboo posted:

Focus wagons are not an infrequent sighting in my neck of the woods (Midwest). And since it's a global platform now shouldn't it be easier to bring over anyway?

Ford probably considers the five door hatch to be adequate, but man I love that new design and would rather have the additional space myself.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys

nm posted:

I always wondered. What if they just sold fast, manual wagons. Seems like 98% of would be wagon buyers are enthusiasts. Problem is that 98% of wagon buying enthusiasts are cheap bastards who buy used.

Pretty sure I've seen more CTS-V wagons than CTS wagons.
I agree that US wagon buyers are almost exclusively enthusiast buyers and it's shocking how few manufacturers seem to get this. The example I always cite for this is the Volkswagen SportWagen. Not only is the wagon ~1/3 of all Jetta/Golf sales, but 50%+ of those wagons are not only diesels, but manual transmission diesels.

Amusingly enough, another one who seems to get it is GM. With exception of the Buick Regal GS AWD and still-MIA Regal wagon, GM seems to offer a manual in what you'd really want it to be available in. If GM offered a Buick Regal GS AWD wagon w/ manual option I bet the sales would be surprisingly good.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Even if an AWD manual Regal GS wagon was the home run of all home runs and destroyed its sales projections, it would sell like three thousand units.

blueblueblue
Mar 18, 2009
A little off topic, but it relates to the "why don't they bring the car over here?"

I found it in a comment on Jalopnik, on an article on the Honda Civic Type-R that America probably won't get. The comment read something like "Honda is willing to take a risk making the Element, Accord Crosstour, and all the wierd...things...Acura makes, but when it comes to the type-R, the message from Honda is, who would buy it?"

Sometimes car manufacturers do weird things. Bean counters and all that.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

TrinityOfDeath posted:

A little off topic, but it relates to the "why don't they bring the car over here?"

I found it in a comment on Jalopnik, on an article on the Honda Civic Type-R that America probably won't get. The comment read something like "Honda is willing to take a risk making the Element, Accord Crosstour, and all the wierd...things...Acura makes, but when it comes to the type-R, the message from Honda is, who would buy it?"

Sometimes car manufacturers do weird things. Bean counters and all that.

It's because enthusiasts make up a miniscule and shrinking portion of the car market. Young enthusiasts who buy cheap sports cars are an even smaller and more shrinking portion and they rarely buy new cars in the first place, especially with the horrible job market and growing competition from stuff like tech for hobby/conspicuous consumption. Versus trying to sell to upmarket families with kids, which honestly covers the target audience for all the stuff you listed and represents a whole lot more car-buying money.

A Civic Si is already nearly $25k base. Consider the tiny volumes, costs for federalizing a new bodystyle, import and exchange losses, etc., on a Type R and you're probably looking at a near $30k Civic competing directly against stuff like the Toyobaru (an actual RWD sports car), WRX, etc.

I guess there's still people why buy the Golf R despite it being $35k but regardless I can see why they're wary about bringing over stuff like the Type R.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Mar 4, 2014

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

EnergizerFellow posted:

I agree that US wagon buyers are almost exclusively enthusiast buyers and it's shocking how few manufacturers seem to get this. The example I always cite for this is the Volkswagen SportWagen. Not only is the wagon ~1/3 of all Jetta/Golf sales, but 50%+ of those wagons are not only diesels, but manual transmission diesels.

Amusingly enough, another one who seems to get it is GM. With exception of the Buick Regal GS AWD and still-MIA Regal wagon, GM seems to offer a manual in what you'd really want it to be available in. If GM offered a Buick Regal GS AWD wagon w/ manual option I bet the sales would be surprisingly good.

I've been browsing the market for a performance wagon or hatch. I've never even considered Cadillac. Hmmm.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

EnergizerFellow posted:

It's because the current lineup of GMs was planned out and designed under an actual car enthusiast who understands that market. Look for that to go away when we start seeing stuff that was planned by the current (or maybe now outgoing) administration led by someone who knew/knows nothing about cars.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

EnergizerFellow posted:

I'm an enthusiast and own a manual sportwagen. That said, I commute via casual carpool and ride in quite a large sample of other sportwagens. Nearly all of them are diesel, but nearly all of them are also automatic and most are driven by middle aged women. This may be a heavily skewed selection, carpool in the SF area, but still interesting to me.

I would suspect that while wagon drivers are disproportionately enthusiasts, the overall population of said enthusiasts is still sufficiently small that they are still in a minority even among wagon drivers.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I looked at the lineup of deals offered at my local VW dealer and every Jetta Sportwagen they had was an automatic. Or at least, all of the ones they listed there, but I didn't see any stick shifts peering in windows on the lot either.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

EnergizerFellow posted:

They really wouldn't. You are on a car forum on the internet. You likely browse other car forums on the internet, your exposure to people who think this way is much, much higher than the norm.

The G8, Magnum, CTS Wagon, the GT-86/FRS/BRZ... all great examples of the types of car that I always hear people whining about that nobody sells, but when they do actually offer them, sell like poo poo.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

The Toyobaru was selling above projections last I checked (which wasn't all that recently).

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

EnergizerFellow posted:

Not only is the wagon ~1/3 of all Jetta/Golf sales, but 50%+ of those wagons are not only diesels, but manual transmission diesels.

Sorry but how does that signal 'enthusiast'? To me that combo scream 'sales rep'

blueblueblue
Mar 18, 2009
The argument is always "No one would buy it", so clearly every car manufacturer should just follow Toyota's model and only produce a Camry.

It is a little sarcastic, but our economy thrives on exploiting niche markets. It would help if your examples, G8, CTS Wagon, Bmw/merc Wagons were actually affordable to buy for the people who want them, but all those cars get/are expensive when they are/were new.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

dissss posted:

Sorry but how does that signal 'enthusiast'? To me that combo scream 'sales rep'

In Europe, yes. In the States, no.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

blk posted:

I get that that is the common perception on this particular message board but is it really true?

After all a diesel Golf is a diesel Golf no matter where you are.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Yes, it is really true. Volkswagen is not a universal budget brand here like it is in other parts of the world. For the past couple of decades it has been slightly upmarket from domestic and Japanese offerings in the US (although they are changing that with the new Jetta and Passat). Regardless, VWs are not typically used in business or fleet applications. Most fleet buyers can purchase an American car with a gas engine and automatic transmission at a significantly lower cost than a manual TDI. The low cost of gas here makes the economy of diesel less critical to the bottom line. Additionally, most Americans do not know how to drive a manual transmission, so you will not find them in fleet applications. Furthermore, most Americans have idiotic hangups about wagons because their moms drove them in the 1970s or something. Fleet and business shoppers who are interested in efficiency tend to buy the Prius or a domestic hybrid (Fusion). I've also seen several small businesses buy Smart cars as a promotional gimmick, as they're somewhat uncommon and can catch the eye of passerby here.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

TrinityOfDeath posted:

The argument is always "No one would buy it", so clearly every car manufacturer should just follow Toyota's model and only produce a Camry.

It is a little sarcastic, but our economy thrives on exploiting niche markets. It would help if your examples, G8, CTS Wagon, Bmw/merc Wagons were actually affordable to buy for the people who want them, but all those cars get/are expensive when they are/were new.

Nobody is going to make a case for a production niche product that's cheap because the only way you make money on cheap poo poo is to either A) make it cheap (bad for obvious reasons and frequently actually difficult to execute) or B) sell a gently caress load of them. You can sell a Camry sedan for 21K because there are hundreds of thousands of them, so you can live with a tight margin. You can't do the same on something that you'll charitably sell thirty thousand of.

Hate to break it to you, as well, but every (volume) car manufacturer has followed Toyota's model and produced a Camry.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

blk posted:

blk posted:

Yes, it is really true. Volkswagen is not a universal budget brand here like it is in other parts of the world. For the past couple of decades it has been slightly upmarket from domestic and Japanese offerings in the US (although they are changing that with the new Jetta and Passat). Regardless, VWs are not typically used in business or fleet applications. Most fleet buyers can purchase an American car with a gas engine and automatic transmission at a significantly lower cost than a manual TDI. The low cost of gas here makes the economy of diesel less critical to the bottom line. Additionally, most Americans do not know how to drive a manual transmission, so you will not find them in fleet applications. Furthermore, most Americans have idiotic hangups about wagons because their moms drove them in the 1970s or something. Fleet and business shoppers who are interested in efficiency tend to buy the Prius or a domestic hybrid (Fusion). I've also seen several small businesses buy Smart cars as a promotional gimmick, as they're somewhat uncommon and can catch the eye of passerby here.

I think the first comment was partially related to the manual part. In the US, you would be hard pressed to find *any* fleet vehicle(ignoring semi trucks/industrial equipment) that had a manual transmission, since the majority* of people in the US have no idea what the 3rd pedal is for. Though I agree with you on the VW not being a budget brand here and diesel not being a big money saver like it seems to be in europe.

I drive a DSG Jetta sportswagen tdi, and it is the first automatic I have ever owned. Would I have gotten a 6spd if it wasn't for the fact it is for both my and the girlfriend? Prolly not actually. Mainly since I live in Seattle and the traffic is horrendous, but also because the DSG is drat nice. If I lived in a city where rush hour was not anytime that is not 10pm - 6am, I would prolly ended up with a 6spd. The jetta is my commuter/family car, not my fun car.

* I have nothing to back this statement up with, I just know most people drive autos.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Negromancer posted:

I think the first comment was partially related to the manual part. In the US, you would be hard pressed to find *any* fleet vehicle(ignoring semi trucks/industrial equipment) that had a manual transmission, since the majority* of people in the US have no idea what the 3rd pedal is for.

That's what I said:

blk posted:

most Americans do not know how to drive a manual transmission, so you will not find them in fleet applications.

I hear you on not using a manual in Seattle. Driving in that city kills me. I can do it, but I don't enjoy it.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

blk posted:

That's what I said:

I hear you on not using a manual in Seattle. Driving in that city kills me. I can do it, but I don't enjoy it.

drat, missed that part, my bad.

But yea, I have been driving in seattle for 13 years or so now(drat it, I am getting old), and it was not as much of a problem till I moved out of ballard/greenwood and had to start commuting downtown via i5. Taking surface streets to get around is one thing, but gently caress having to use i5 at peak commuting times with a manual. the ~10 mile drive from my house to my office takes 45 minutes each way most days, and both my house and offices are blocks from on ramps.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Negromancer posted:

drat, missed that part, my bad.

But yea, I have been driving in seattle for 13 years or so now(drat it, I am getting old), and it was not as much of a problem till I moved out of ballard/greenwood and had to start commuting downtown via i5. Taking surface streets to get around is one thing, but gently caress having to use i5 at peak commuting times with a manual. the ~10 mile drive from my house to my office takes 45 minutes each way most days, and both my house and offices are blocks from on ramps.

What's maintenance / cost of ownership like on the DSG? Any expensive services? Does it survive into high mileage OK? I might buy a friend's DSG TDI Sportwagen for my wife if he moves abroad.

Oh yeah, did you ever buy that MR2?

dubzee
Oct 23, 2008

A NEW CHALLENGER APPEARS!!

Jaguar XFR-S Sportbrake, set to premiere at the Geneva auto show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

^^^ that jag looks amazing. ^^^

blk posted:

What's maintenance / cost of ownership like on the DSG? Any expensive services? Does it survive into high mileage OK? I might buy a friend's DSG TDI Sportwagen for my wife if he moves abroad.

Oh yeah, did you ever buy that MR2?

I picked up my JSW on October 31st 2013, so no expensive services yet! Granted I think I have ~4500 miles on the car. I have been told the 30k service interval costs a couple hundred in fluid/parts, but they are supposed to be pretty good.

I had 2 different spyders sold out from under me, so I decided to wait and find a nice aw11. Working on a deal for a 1mzfe swapped one in LA area currently.

• Locked thread