Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Thank you.

I'm looking at Google Drive and Copy. Both very slick but they don't have the function to automatically upload images from my phone (unless I'm missing it).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

If you're looking for a photo uploader app, another good alternative is Loom. It's basically a better PhotoStream.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

ICHIBAHN posted:

Thank you.

I'm looking at Google Drive and Copy. Both very slick but they don't have the function to automatically upload images from my phone (unless I'm missing it).

With ifttt, you can auto upload images from your phone to drive, Dropbox, box, and whatever microsofts offering is now called.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
What's the recipe for that?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

ICHIBAHN posted:

What's the recipe for that?

I mistakenly added box to that list, but here's for OneDrive and Drive. I didn't share dropbox since the dropbox app has the functionality built in.

https://ifttt.com/p/speak

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

ICHIBAHN posted:

Thank you.

Flickr gives you 1TB for free and the flickr app has auto upload. I can't imagine why anyone would use anything else for photo backups at this point.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

the kawaiiest posted:

Flickr gives you 1TB for free and the flickr app has auto upload. I can't imagine why anyone would use anything else for photo backups at this point.

While I use flickr as well, I like to have the file system access that the cloud storage providers offer. Dropbox only gets my phone photos, my SLR gets split between Google Drive, OneDrive, and Box, and Flickr gets both. Probably not the most efficient way of doing things, but it works for me so far.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

the kawaiiest posted:

Maybe because we've been burned pretty badly by promises from Flickr/Yahoo in the past?

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

the kawaiiest posted:

I can't imagine why anyone would use anything else for photo backups at this point.
Not everyone wants compressed JPGs of everything.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

tuyop posted:

iMovie is free and worked pretty well for the couple of videos I edited on my iPad. Scrubbing on it kind of sucks though.

Yeah, iMovie is still the best option, really.

There's also Pinnacle Studio, which has quite a few nice options that iMovie doesn't have. It's a good app, but the last time I tested it against iMovie, iMovie's final output files consistently had higher quality video encoding. Pinnacle's encoding my have gotten better since then, though. Last time I used it was about a year ago.

Also, VideoGrade is a handy app for color grading your videos. It's great for giving your videos a more cinematic look, or even just quickly tweaking things like brightness and contrast.

Fcdts26
Mar 18, 2009

ihatepants posted:

If you're happy with dropbox, go to fiverr.com and have someone top up your free account (max is 18gb - more if you tied your dropbox with a .edu) with referrals for $5.

I realize this doesn't answer your question, but I like dropbox over the other alternatives because it has more integration with apps, it's more commonly used by others that I share with and it doesn't have any individual file size limits.

I just did this, Works great. Had no idea this was even possible. Thanks for posting this!

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Nask26 posted:

I just did this, Works great. Had no idea this was even possible. Thanks for posting this!

Pro tip: don't try to buy the other, larger Dropbox additions unless you want a creepy foreign group asking for your login and password.

Fcdts26
Mar 18, 2009

Chinaman7000 posted:

Pro tip: don't try to buy the other, larger Dropbox additions unless you want a creepy foreign group asking for your login and password.

Noticed that right away, really strange. I went up to 20.6gb which I was happy with. How do they even accomplish the higher tiers? Not a chance I would ever do it just curious.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
You can't get more than 16 GB for free from referrals, so they're basically scams (attempts to compromise your account) or they're misleading (like up to 22 GB IF you happen to also have free space from features x, y, and z)

Cranbe
Dec 9, 2012
Doesn't that violate DropBox's ToS?

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
I have about 45 GB of space on DropBox accumulated over the years and I use like 3 MB. I need to find a good use for my account.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

status posted:

Not everyone wants compressed JPGs of everything.

You can download the original file from flickr and it's exactly the same as far as I can tell...

CaptainPsyko posted:

Maybe because we've been burned pretty badly by promises from Flickr/Yahoo in the past?

What did they do, if you don't mind me asking? I never really used any of their services besides flickr and I don't remember ever having any issues with it at all...

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Flickr still has thousands of photos I uploaded in 2007, don't really know of any issues except for their recent terrible site redesign.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I have a paid Dropbox account (100gb) that I use mostly for work and it's pretty cool. In addition to camera uploads, I have my entire photo library backed up and through the app can access them quite easily. I also send PDFs from Scanner Pro directly to there and upload movies and stream them to my iDevices.

Some Android device purchases came with 50gb free, you should check out the Android thread from time to time because some people have no use for Dropbox and will give their Dropbox codes away.

the kawaiiest posted:

You can download the original file from flickr and it's exactly the same as far as I can tell...

What did they do, if you don't mind me asking? I never really used any of their services besides flickr and I don't remember ever having any issues with it at all...

The site redesign is fine, but the app is horrid and as far as I can tell has no way to generate embed code for your photos the way the site can.

1st AD fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Mar 3, 2014

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

1st AD posted:

The site redesign is fine, but the app is horrid and as far as I can tell has no way to generate embed code for your photos the way the site can.

You're right, the app is awful for that. I don't actually use flickr for sharing so I never even noticed that. I just dump all my photos there, including stuff from my camera.

For just my iPhone photos, I actually have kind of a :spergin: thing going. I use Hazel to sort the photos into folders on Dropbox by year and month and then I use Unbound on my phone to browse the photos.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Flickr got bought by Yahoo at which point Yahoo didn't invest any effort in the product for years and then the social side got killed by Facebook etc. Plus you had to pay every year to store more than a certain number of photos.

Now with the new Yahoo CEO, they seem to be treating it more like a real product, and they got rid of the storage concerns, but people still don't have much faith in Yahoo. They could kill Flickr next month and I wouldn't be that shocked.

OTOH Apple has always had great Flickr support. Apple TV supports it, as does iPhoto.

roxanne
Sep 5, 2006

What's the best way to transfer music from an ipod touch to a computer? I thought this'd be pretty simple but google's giving me list after list of third party apps. Any recommendations?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

roxanne posted:

What's the best way to transfer music from an ipod touch to a computer? I thought this'd be pretty simple but google's giving me list after list of third party apps. Any recommendations?

Those third party apps. iFunbox works, despite it's dumb name.

The music you get off won't be organized in a usable way, but there are apps (including iTunes) that can re-sort the files by tags. You can probably thank the music industry for making it complicated.

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Mar 3, 2014

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

What's the best way to make an app not update on one device but update on another?

Here's my problem: I've got an iPhone running iOS 7. It's old and junky but it can at least support most recent updates to all the apps I have.

I also have an old first gen iPad mired in iOS 5. I can't afford a replacement, and more to the point it still does all the poo poo that I use it for daily without really needing any updates. Mostly it's a way for me to surf forums and the internet while in bed, a portable movie player, and a portable 2nd monitor for my laptop for when I'm working away from my desk. I have stable versions of the software for doing most of that poo poo that I just don't update because I don't have it installed on my iPhone.

With one big exception: Kindle.

I have Kindle on both the iPhone and the iPad because I like to read and it's handy and ubiquitous enough to deal with the vast majority of the poo poo I want to read for pleasure and basically all of the poo poo I have to read for classes I teach. I like having the same texts on both devices because I frequently have them in different settings and it's nice to be able to get in a few pages during random downtime (pooping).

The only problem is the latest version of Kindle requires iOS 7. The few times that I updated poo poo on the phone it got automatically updated on my laptop which in turn propagated the change over to the iPad. That wasn't good, as it will try to install and then stop half-way through, locking the program in a half-installed limbo until I delete it entirely. Then I have to go about deleting the version in iTunes, pulling out an archived copy of the old iOS5 compatible version and re set up everything on both devices.

Is there any solution short of jailbreaking the iPad and managing it entirely separately from iTunes?

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
I believe that if you download an app from the App Store on a device that doesn't support the latest version, it will download the most recent version that does support your device.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

roxanne posted:

I use Senuti.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

The rear end Stooge posted:

I believe that if you download an app from the App Store on a device that doesn't support the latest version, it will download the most recent version that does support your device.

Whether or not this behavior is enabled is up the to individual developer.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

ICHIBAHN posted:

Thank you.

Google actually will do automatic photo uploads from an iPhone/Android, but that functionality is part of the Google+ app and not the Google Drive app. Its full-size photo/movie uploads count against your Google Drive storage limit. And despite it being Google+, uploaded stuff is private by default.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

Senuti has always worked great for me on OS X. For Windows I use Sharepod.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
You could always just create a separate user account on your computer and use iTunes under that user account to manage the iPad.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

You don't have to go that far. Just quit iTunes and hold option/alt when you launch iTunes. You can pick a new account then.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

CaptainPsyko posted:

You could always just create a separate user account on your computer and use iTunes under that user account to manage the iPad.

Why not just rely on iCloud for syncing?

You can still plug into iTunes to load music and movies. It works for my ios6 phone and ios7 iPad on the same iTunes and I haven't had any of those app update problems.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I used to use Meebo because it was a great multiprotocol (AIM and Gchat) browser-based IM client that had chat logging and a seamlessly integrated iPhone app. Then it got bought by Google and shut down.

I managed to replace it with imo which also had great browser and iOS clients, but they're now ending support for third-party protocols, aka the only reason to use it.

What should I do now? It seems like maybe I should just use Gmail for my AIM contacts if all these services are going to die out, but the Gmail interface seems awful for that.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
How do I prevent the iOS from automatically installing new apps on all devices? What I mean is that some apps I prefer to just have on my ipad/iphone and vice versa, but the iOS thinks I want them on both devices by default.

goethe gear xx
Sep 17, 2004

faustoo

Xabi posted:

How do I prevent the iOS from automatically installing new apps on all devices? What I mean is that some apps I prefer to just have on my ipad/iphone and vice versa, but the iOS thinks I want them on both devices by default.

On iOS, under the "iTunes & App Store" heading in Settings, there's options for automatic downloads for music, apps, books and app updates. Also, there's the "Automatically install new apps" checkbox in iTunes when the device is plugged in. It's in the Apps tab in the device view.

Which one does what you want? Do they do the same thing? I don't know! I keep both turned off.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Looking for a good Craigslist App that can push-notify you of new listings based on search criteria. Don't mind spending a few bucks if the push works well, since I'm looking at apartments and hoping to get first crack at the good stuff!

This Mokriya one looks nice but I want to see what's recommended before I pay up for the alert features.

EDIT: I was looking into RSS feeds at first, but it seems like third party clients are having some problems with the Craigslist feeds lately. Then I figured a paid Craigslist app with push might work better anyway.

Minidust fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Mar 4, 2014

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Minidust posted:

Looking for a good Craigslist App that can push-notify you of new listings based on search criteria. Don't mind spending a few bucks if the push works well, since I'm looking at apartments and hoping to get first crack at the good stuff!

There is an exact IFTTT recipe for this. You'll need to use Boxcar to get notifications I believe though.

EDIT: Look at this one. You give IFTTT a search craigslist search URL for a trigger and it'll SMS/Email/Do whatever action you choose.

Thirst Mutilator fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Mar 4, 2014

Stan S. Stanman
Nov 18, 2009
I think I want some kind of RSS feed compiler. I used to use google reader when it still existed. Could someone suggest something they would endorse? I see a couple in the App Store, but I was hoping for some suggestions from anyone who is using one (assuming anyone still does). I like being able to stick everything in one place and skim articles.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Stan S. Stanman posted:

I think I want some kind of RSS feed compiler. I used to use google reader when it still existed. Could someone suggest something they would endorse? I see a couple in the App Store, but I was hoping for some suggestions from anyone who is using one (assuming anyone still does). I like being able to stick everything in one place and skim articles.

Feedly is the successor to Google Reader.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

withak posted:

Feedly is the successor to Google Reader.

Quoting for truth. I use Reeder2 with feedly as the backend because I fear change, though. Both the iOS app and the web page should fit the bill for any Google Reader refugees.

• Locked thread