Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Edge & Christian posted:

Wasn't the REAL finish to the Ms Hancock pregnancy storyline that she faked the miscarriage and she brought a bunch of 8x10s of "Perfectshawn" Stasiak out in a baby carriage?

I posted this a couple pages back, so considering we both remember it we must not be crazy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

triplexpac posted:

I posted this a couple pages back, so considering we both remember it we must not be crazy

I remember it as well, so that makes three. Strength in numbers!

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

quote:

"On the Internet Insiders show, Gene Okerlund apologized for saying that Brian Pillman died from cocaine" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: December 15, 1997.

Why, Gene Okerlund, why?!

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

haljordan posted:

Why, Gene Okerlund, why?!

I know! He should have saved that for the hotline.

Rad R.
Oct 10, 2012
We don't talk enough about Lash LaRoux or Lenny Lane, two guys who were kind of sort of supposed to take Jericho's cruiserweight spot. Lane was entertaining when he was with Lodi, don't remember much after that. Their team was layered with gay innuendo. I remember LaRoux being pushed suddenly, then the Misfits in Action thing happened, and then I forget. One other thing I recall, is how WCW tried to push Hugh Morrus several times, failing every time. Dude just seem forced.

I'm getting flashbacks of certain WCW moments now when I watch WWE, because their obvious lack of direction, combined with great in-ring talent, is typical of WCW. But these youngsters today, they just don't know, and they think Punk was right for walking away. Anyway, sometimes I watch Nitro and Raw parallel on YouTube, just to compare, and by late 1999, WCW was in deep poo poo. Although, their match quality was still better than the WWF, which was entertaining, but shock TV. Example: Nitro had Nash playing dress up (can't remember right now who he was dressed as) with Hall, Sid dropping his famous 'half the brains that you do' line, Jarrett saying 'this isn't the WWF, we don't hit women', while on Raw, Jericho abducted and tortured Chyna as a part of the IC title feud. My point: both were more entertaining than a typical modern day Raw.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Lash LeRoux had sideburns shaped as Ls.

And he was really cajun.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

MrBling posted:

Lash LeRoux had sideburns shaped as Ls.

And he was really cajun.

He also makes political cartoons. Also current day WWE needs more monster trucks.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I actually did rather like Lash when they were just kinda throwing cruiserweights around.

Elix Skipper was fun too.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Rad R. posted:

We don't talk enough about Lash LaRoux or Lenny Lane, two guys who were kind of sort of supposed to take Jericho's cruiserweight spot. Lane was entertaining when he was with Lodi, don't remember much after that. Their team was layered with gay innuendo. I remember LaRoux being pushed suddenly, then the Misfits in Action thing happened, and then I forget. One other thing I recall, is how WCW tried to push Hugh Morrus several times, failing every time. Dude just seem forced.

I'm getting flashbacks of certain WCW moments now when I watch WWE, because their obvious lack of direction, combined with great in-ring talent, is typical of WCW. But these youngsters today, they just don't know, and they think Punk was right for walking away. Anyway, sometimes I watch Nitro and Raw parallel on YouTube, just to compare, and by late 1999, WCW was in deep poo poo. Although, their match quality was still better than the WWF, which was entertaining, but shock TV. Example: Nitro had Nash playing dress up (can't remember right now who he was dressed as) with Hall, Sid dropping his famous 'half the brains that you do' line, Jarrett saying 'this isn't the WWF, we don't hit women', while on Raw, Jericho abducted and tortured Chyna as a part of the IC title feud. My point: both were more entertaining than a typical modern day Raw.

I don't remember Lodi being a great worker (I don't mind being proven wrong, though), but he was really good at the things he did do. I'd like to think he would've done really, really well in WWF/E, but he fell off the face of the earth when WCW closed.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I enjoyed Lash matches a lot but then again I thought Shane Douglas was really good.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

coconono posted:

I enjoyed Lash matches a lot but then again I thought Shane Douglas was really good.

I was a big Shane Douglas fan in his WCW run.

Maybe "big" is an overstatement. But I did enjoy his mic work.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Nobody coming out of M.I.A. was gonna look good. It didn't kill Booker like it did the other guys but he was just King Jobber in that role.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

WeaponX posted:

Nobody coming out of M.I.A. was gonna look good. It didn't kill Booker like it did the other guys but he was just King Jobber in that role.

I may be getting my dates wrong but wasn't it Russo's fetish for making midcard guys world champs that really helped Booker get back into the main event?

I know that Booker was one of the top guys in the promotion when WWF bought it up.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:

coconono posted:

I may be getting my dates wrong but wasn't it Russo's fetish for making midcard guys world champs that really helped Booker get back into the main event?

I know that Booker was one of the top guys in the promotion when WWF bought it up.

The real reason is Sonny Onoo filed a racial discrimination lawsuit!

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

bobkatt013 posted:

He also makes political cartoons. Also current day WWE needs more monster trucks.

Calling it: a monster truck sumo match is how HHH gets out of eating a pin at Wrestlemania.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Pinstripe Hourglass posted:

Calling it: a monster truck sumo match is how HHH gets out of eating a pin at Wrestlemania.

Triple H also needs a fist hat.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Pinstripe Hourglass posted:

HHH falling off a building caps off so many angry fan fics.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

MassRafTer posted:

HHH falling off a building caps off so many angry fan fics.

HHH was The Wall. Nick Patrick rings the bell while Bryan tries to ride the elevator up on top of the building and Bryan gets DQed. HHH's count never starts because he never actually entered the ring. Kevin Nash spray-paints a shovel on Bryan's butt.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Mar 4, 2014

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
On the subject of Lash and Lenny, I assumed both would be really good and gave them the benefit of the doubt for a long time. WCW had conditioned me to expect someone who held the cruiserweight title would be really good, although they did their best to kill that belief in 2000.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Luigi Thirty posted:

HHH was The Wall. Nick Patrick rings the bell while Bryan tries to ride the elevator up on top of the building and Bryan gets DQed. HHH's count never starts because he never actually entered the ring. Kevin Nash spray-paints a shovel on Bryan's butt.

In the distance, Hulk Hogan is standing in the ring at WrestleMania 30 while pointing in HHH's direction and shouting "THAT'S THE GAME, BROTHER!"

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Nitro starting now, it's Uncensored aftermath! http://psp-tv.com/r/badmoviesworsewrestling we'll probably see Sting attacking the nWo recapped a bunch, it'll be swell.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

MrBling posted:

I actually did rather like Lash when they were just kinda throwing cruiserweights around.
Pity his WCW career pretty much ended with Rick Steiner punching the crap out of him in the ring for no real reason.
Much like Konnan, Big Vito, etc, etc.

Occupy Japan
Feb 4, 2005

I've spent so much time clopping to fillies that my joints have locked up!
I liked Lash and think he could have been a lot more than he was if he'd been trained properly. He had a unique look, charisma, some pretty cool moves, a unique gimmick, was passable on the mic iirc, had some signature gimmicks and spots and stuff the crowd could get into but he was shat directly out of the Power Plant - which seemed incapable of making anyone into a good wrestler - and into the ring several years too early which left him green as poo poo and as a result, he was sloppy and his matches had subpar flow at best. That said, he was only 22-23 during his run. In an alternate reality where WCW isn't run by morons and also has a developmental territory to send people with potential to for a few years, Lash could've been groomed into a good upper mid card babyface.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

Say Nothing posted:

Pity his WCW career pretty much ended with Rick Steiner punching the crap out of him in the ring for no real reason.

The reason was WCW management thought Lash was too fat. For reals.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Lash and Lenny were both OK workers but there were dozens of far better guys in the back who weren't being used which was typical of WCW. Imagine if they had spent less TV time on guys like Prince Iaukea, Hugh Morris, Jerry Flynn and Stevie Ray.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Say Nothing posted:

Didn't Scott say in a shoot that he might stiff someone in the ring it was done because he had a reason. However, Rick did it because he was an rear end/enjoyed it?

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

bobkatt013 posted:

Didn't Scott say in a shoot that he might stiff someone in the ring it was done because he had a reason. However, Rick did it because he was an rear end/enjoyed it?

That's a good reason.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Last night on Observer radio, Dave Meltzer said Mike Tenay created the idea of the undefeated streak for Goldberg. Bobby Heenan was very much on the idea that Goldberg should be the next Bruno, with the idea that you never beat him. Schiavone and others had the idea of "Yeah but how long can you do that?" Heenan: "Well, until it stops working!"

When Nash beat Goldberg at Starrcade 98, Tenay and Bobby basically resigned themselves that WCW was going out of business.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

No kidding. I always see a bunch of stuff about how it needed to end because it had gone on awhile, but who cares? The crowd sure hadn't turned on it yet, so what the hell are you gaining by putting a stop to it?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Batista posted:

Last night on Observer radio, Dave Meltzer said Mike Tenay created the idea of the undefeated streak for Goldberg. Bobby Heenan was very much on the idea that Goldberg should be the next Bruno, with the idea that you never beat him. Schiavone and others had the idea of "Yeah but how long can you do that?" Heenan: "Well, until it stops working!"

When Nash beat Goldberg at Starrcade 98, Tenay and Bobby basically resigned themselves that WCW was going out of business.

For anyone who has an Observer subscription, check out Bobby's WOL interviews. They are awesome in general but his telling of the story is better than Dave's (for obvious reasons.) I might be wrong and it might be from some Heenan shoot, but hey, if I'm wrong you've been given an excuse to listen to 3 hours of Heenan.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

DeathChicken posted:

No kidding. I always see a bunch of stuff about how it needed to end because it had gone on awhile, but who cares? The crowd sure hadn't turned on it yet, so what the hell are you gaining by putting a stop to it?
Some crowds had turned on it, but who gives a poo poo? Ruining Goldberg really was the wound that slowly bled the company, isn't it? I never really thought of it that way, but drat.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

LividLiquid posted:

Some crowds had turned on it, but who gives a poo poo? Ruining Goldberg really was the wound that slowly bled the company, isn't it? I never really thought of it that way, but drat.

I think it's safe to say that it is much, much, MUCH worse to screw up by having a babyface lose than having a heel lose.

For all of WWE's mistakes, their only truly glaring ones are having heels be too strong, and if you look at the companies they've fought and beaten, it feels like it's almost always been because the company they're against is too determined to build around a top heel to have babyfaces chase.

WCW botched Sting and that drove a lot of fans to give WWF a shot, where they could cheer for their grand hero Steve Austin, then fans left in even greater numbers after WCW killed another babyface for the Next Great Heel Stable less than a year later.

Edit: My first sentence said the opposite of what I wanted to say. Woops. Sleep is good and helps typing make sense.

rare Magic card l00k fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Mar 7, 2014

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
This thread makes me sad because I feel like the current WWE Bryan-Punk gently caress ups would drive fans to another company like the aforementioned Goldberg.... But there's no alternative. Sad days.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls

joshtothemaxx posted:

This thread makes me sad because I feel like the current WWE Bryan-Punk gently caress ups would drive fans to another company like the aforementioned Goldberg.... But there's no alternative. Sad days.

Cross the Line :getin:

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

I watched that poo poo show tonight and holy crap it was bad.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Even worse was turning Goldberg heel and acting like it was a WWE-destroying masterstroke. This happened at the same event that Sting's stunt double got set on fire, took a small fall and they sold it like Sting had just died.
It was almost as if they were seeing how quickly they could destroy WCW.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

joshtothemaxx posted:

Punk was the champ forever and hosed it up himself by being an un-personable grump when they sent him to be the face of the company on talk shows and such. I don't remember if it was Conan or somebody else, but Punk gave an awfully unfunny interview on some late night show. He didn't want to be there and couldn't be arsed to muster the energy to pretend. Bryan is going to have the strap eventually.

Gnome Enthusiast
Jan 7, 2007

The skies are always sunny in the heart of flavor country.

Say Nothing posted:

Even worse was turning Goldberg heel and acting like it was a WWE-destroying masterstroke. This happened at the same event that Sting's stunt double got set on fire, took a small fall and they sold it like Sting had just died.

I remember watching that as a 14 year-old and wondering why I should really give a poo poo if the characters just randomly turned on a dime for no reason.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

You see, I can get what they were trying to do by turning Goldberg heel.

Turning Hogan, (who had been a dominant babyface and face of the company/thebusiness), worked so well. It freshened up the character, and was so unexpected that it got fans interested/intruiged.

They obviously hoped for some of that magic in turning Goldberg heel. The problem is, there was no real motivation, and as the poster above me said, rather than be intruigued by the character development, we were turned off by the speed/number/baffling reasons for it happening all the time in WCW.

This reads into a huge problem with Russo. Wrestling fans like surprises, it keeps us on our toes, its interesting. But Russo fed us swerves, which in the end have us asking not "WOW, whats going to happen next?", but "Why should I care, it'll change again next week."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

Say Nothing posted:

They hyped the poo poo out of it too. They were talking about a major industry changing announcement at the next PPV and it was just Goldberg turning heel. A lot of people on the net thought they were going to get rid of the ring to cross promote with Backstage Assault.