Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Maybe it was McNair. Regardless, it's not crazy our out of bounds to think that a veteran player at the same position would offer guidance and motivation for an incoming rookie regardless of "questions" about his work ethic

Watt will probably command more respect than any non LeBeau coach the Texans could bring in also

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
If you've seen anything from JJ Watt in the past two years it is pretty obvious he's the kind of guy who will get in a teammate's face if he doesn't think the man is working hard enough. Watt is pretty clearly all about winning, and I definitely trust him to try and take a leadership role. Whether or not a teammate will listen to and respect him is a completely different question and completely irrelevant to what Intruder is arguing.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
All I saw out of JJ Watt for the last two years is the potential to be the best DE of all time both statistically and on the field impact. His advanced metrics are phenomenal. I seriously doubt Clowney would scoff at getting behind JJ Watt. Those D-line guys are usually the best friend groups on every single team.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

And with bullied, ostracized offensive linemen :smith:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Doltos posted:

All I saw out of JJ Watt for the last two years is the potential to be the best DE of all time both statistically and on the field impact. His advanced metrics are phenomenal. I seriously doubt Clowney would scoff at getting behind JJ Watt. Those D-line guys are usually the best friend groups on every single team.

In interviews and sideline reaction shots from the 2013 collapse it was pretty clear he was furious at the team not living up to its potential. I think it was the Richard Sherman pick 6 where the camera focused on him on the sidelines and his facial expression was loving murderous.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
FWIW, the Texans and Niners coaching staff were at Northwestern's pro day and gave Jimmy Garoppolo (who was able to attend despite playing at NIU) a private workout.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Yeah, he kept saying in interviews even after it was clear that the season was lost (not Patriots lost but lost lost) that he was pissed and wasn't used to losing

Which of course led to a lot of "Oh god he's going to want to leave Houston" panic

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Intruder posted:

Yeah, he kept saying in interviews even after it was clear that the season was lost (not Patriots lost but lost lost) that he was pissed and wasn't used to losing

Which of course led to a lot of "Oh god he's going to want to leave Houston" panic

I hope the Texans get a lot of primetime games next year. I want to see what Watt and Clowney can do together. :swoon:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

They're potentially going to get Kareem Jackson a big fat contract if the Texans do draft Clowney

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Intruder posted:

Chichevache posted:

I hope the Texans get a lot of primetime games next year. I want to see what Watt and Clowney can do together. :swoon:

I went from "Oh hey it'd be cool to see Watt and Clowney wrecking face" to "We have to draft Clowney" after watching Brady get three hours to throw a touchdown to Gronk.

If nothing else, adding Clowney would add even more potential for success to Watt's career.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

FYI the reason why Harbaugh would attend Garoppolo's pro day is the same reason why any team would, to do due diligence, assess value, fully evaluate the player, and to get other teams thinking about it on draft night.

The Eagles will have private workouts with quarterbacks too, even though they drafted Barkley last year. It's not a big deal.

Bonham
Aug 14, 2009

Kill! Kill! Kill!
Watt is going to pull an incognito and bully Clowney

into helping sick kids

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Bill O'Brien had an extremely positive workout with Tahj Boyd, expressing great confidence in his abilities at the next level. However, he added that the Texans third round pick would be available for trade just like any other pick

:ninja:

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
As previously mentioned, Harbaugh worked out Jimmy Garoppolo in private, but also the Niners director of scouting was at the Buffalo pro day looking at Khalil Mack. Probably both smokescreens because there's no way the Niners trade up high enough to actually land Mack, especially since linebacker is the best position group on the team even with Bowman potentially out for a few games.

Aeilerto
Mar 3, 2007

Freedom Fries!
I keep hearing Manziel/Bortles talk out of Houston and on all the common sports websites (ESPN Bleacher Report, etc.). Honestly my preference is either Bridgewater or Clowney at this point but I would accept Bortles. My real worry is that the Texans use the 1st to take Manziel, but there seems to be some evidence for this if for no other reason than to placate dumb fans. Is the idea that the choices are down to Manziel actually legitimate or is this just smokescreening? Please tell me it's just smokescreening!?! :ohdear:

Aeilerto fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Mar 4, 2014

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I just think it is insane to use the #1 pick on anyone other than the best prospect. gently caress position of need.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

*Cough*Clowney-Mettenburg *Cough*

I'm sorry were we talking about Blake Bortles?

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Bonham posted:

Watt is going to pull an incognito and bully Clowney

We're going to the Children's Hospital burn center. Bring $6000. IN CASH.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Quest For Glory II posted:

I just think it is insane to use the #1 pick on anyone other than the best prospect. gently caress position of need.

While Clowney's athleticism and combine helped him out immensely, and his tape showed that he actually did give a drat this last season, teams are still wary to use the #1 on any position other than a QB or an OT. You can find great pass rushers anywhere in the draft, finding a franchise LT or QB is a lot harder.

Preemptive gently caress you to everyone who says Wilson/Kaepernick/Brees/Brady. You go try to build a team by only picking 2nd round and later talent for your OT and QB.

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

Doltos posted:

While Clowney's athleticism and combine helped him out immensely, and his tape showed that he actually did give a drat this last season, teams are still wary to use the #1 on any position other than a QB or an OT. You can find great pass rushers anywhere in the draft, finding a franchise LT or QB is a lot harder.

Preemptive gently caress you to everyone who says Wilson/Kaepernick/Brees/Brady. You go try to build a team by only picking 2nd round and later talent for your OT and QB.

Romo

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I think pass rusher is the other generally accepted ok thing to pick at #1, though. I don't think anything other than QB/OT/pass rusher of some flavor has a real chance of going there.

e: Decided to look it up, Keyshawn was the last non OT/QB/DE picked #1 in '96.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Mar 4, 2014

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Andy Dalton and Nick Foles are working out well enough.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Doltos posted:

Pretty sure we've gotten to the point where WR and CB have outpaced OT in importance. Not only because of the changes to the passing game, but just looking at top salaries it seems pretty clear how GMs rate positional value league wide.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Grittybeard posted:

I think pass rusher is the other generally accepted ok thing to pick at #1, though. I don't think anything other than QB/OT/pass rusher of some flavor has a real chance of going there.

Bruce Smith, Mario Williams, and Courtney Brown are the only ones I can think of in recent memory. Other than that it's pretty much been only QBs and OTs lately. I think Keyshawn Johnson was the last non QB/OT/DE taken first overall.

What I'm saying is if you have two prospects like Clowney and Bridgewater, odds are the team is going to favor the QB. Mario Williams is the exception and pretty much everyone expected them to go Bush or Young there. Even then Mario Williams was such an astoundingly great prospect that coming out this year he'd probably be winning the competition for 1st DE off the board from Clowney.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

PrinceRandom posted:

Andy Dalton and Nick Foles are working out well enough.

That's not the point. This is the point:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?type=position

Go through that list and tell me how many of those QBs succeeded and how many of those never even showed anything of worth ever in the NFL. Then tell me how many of those guys could realistically lead their team to the Super Bowl. Now try to run a multi-billion dollar franchise with an infrastructure of employees whose job relies on being successful.

That's why Bridgewater and most QBs are taken over the top BPA player in the draft at #1.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Quest For Glory II posted:

Well, it depends on the degree of need, the other options, and how much better the "best" prospect is.

(I would pick Clowney because barring injury I think he will almost certainly be great but that's admittedly sort of a chicken poo poo approach and yeah they could use a QB!)

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Yeah I agree that QB first option, LT second is probably generally going to be the norm, I was just saying that I could see an oddball freak who was expected to get tons of sacks here and there.

There was a run of DTs in the 90s, with Big Daddy Wilkinson, Russell Maryland and Steve Emptman going first. I want to say they were all considered as good pass rushers for the position but honestly all of those dudes were expected to be road graders before anything else, so it wasn't really forever ago that people were trying something else I guess. Also I reminded myself Ki-Jana Carter exists or once did and now I'm reminding all of you. Sorry Bengals fans.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
SDSU RB Adam Muema has leapt from "weird" to "loving crazy"

http://deadspin.com/awol-nfl-prospect-believes-hes-fulfilling-internet-mes-1536138962

goddamnit Muema.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Marketing New Brain posted:

We're going to the Children's Hospital burn center. Bring $6000. IN CASH.

We're going to propose to some cray cray little girls to make their dreams come true for a day

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

http://deadspin.com/awol-nfl-prospect-believes-hes-fulfilling-internet-mes-1536138962

goddamnit Muema.

I can no longer comfortably read his stories.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

goddamnit Muema.

loving bandwagon fans, I swear.

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!
First comment I've actually laughed at in a long time:

"If he isn't drafted, chalk it up to the NFL's non-prophet status."

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Zypher posted:

First comment I've actually laughed at in a long time:

"If he isn't drafted, chalk it up to the NFL's non-prophet status."

I thought that was hilariously clever.

And yeah he's a loving lunatic. I'm... sadly excited to watch him get drafted by someone else and just change everything in his life

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Niners should draft him so his whole world view collapses.

DupaDupa
May 21, 2009

I'm Samurai Mike
I stop 'em cold.
I hope at least some one drafts him so he at least has some money to seek medical help.

smuggler
Apr 23, 2007
INSULTING THE PACKERS IS NOT AGAINST FORUM RULES, MORON

At this point, SDSU should be footing the bill. It has CTE written all over it.

Pead
May 31, 2001
Nap Ghost

smuggler posted:

At this point, SDSU should be footing the bill. It has CTE written all over it.

He got hit in the head with a baseball bat in high school, so if it is due to brain trauma, it isn't entirely CTE.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Maybe he's just a moron.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Ehud posted:

Maybe he's just a moron.

Little of column a, little of column b.

It's really bad when I answer the phone and the first thing my Dad asks me is "What the gently caress is going on with your insane running back?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK
I got bored and I hosed around with the draft game thing and I got basically the ideal draft for the Chiefs. In this scenario, Cleveland trades up and we get an extra third which would be aces.
Round 1 Pick 26 (CLE): Odell Beckham, WR, LSU (B+)
Round 3 Pick 7 (CLE): Chris Smith, DE, Arkansas (A-)
Round 3 Pick 23: Ed Reynolds, FS, Stanford (A)
Round 4 Pick 24: Shayne Skov, ILB, Stanford (A)
Round 5 Pick 23: Chris Davis, CB, Auburn (A)
Round 6 Pick 17: Seantrel Henderson, OT, Miami (Fla.) (A)
Round 6 Pick 24: Brett Smith, QB, Wyoming (A)

All of these would fill a need. Henderson is probably better than Fisher, he just needs to get his poo poo together. Davis is depth and he can return kicks, as we all know. Brett Smith is a football player from Wyoming so he owns by default.

• Locked thread