Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Fried Chicken posted:

What the Christ movie did you see? 12 Years A Slave was an absolutely amazing film.

It was fine. It's not transcendental or anything, though I imagine any number of white folks watching it used it to experience catharsis. For me it was exemplified by Ellen's selfie, crowded with self-satisfied white stars at a gala event.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

quote:

Someone needs to tell Moose that most American Mothers are not stupid like the mothers that put her husband in the white hut twice. Also, since the mothers that voted for her husband can’t read, changing the labels won’t help.

"Most people aren't like the losers who voted for Obama"

These loving people...

kik2dagroin
Mar 23, 2007

Use the anger. Use it.
This whole thread is pretty funny because the FDA is making some good changes our food labels to make them easier for the consumer to interpret while Michelle Obama keeps perfectly in line with her 'make America less fat' First Lady routine. Yet freepers are outraged that this blackunattractive FAT woman is telling them how to gussy up their Chik-Fil-A sandwiches with a leaf of lettuce instead of a glob of mayonnaise, and has the audacity to recommend that they drink water or get out of their rascals for 30 minutes a day to get a small modicum of exercise that would help them live longer and healthier lives.

Also

quote:

To: 2ndDivisionVet

Someone needs to tell Moose that most American Mothers are not stupid like the mothers that put her husband in the white hut twice. Also, since the mothers that voted for her husband can’t read, changing the labels won’t help. Moose needs to demand that pictures replace words on food labels. That should cost even more and require larger packaging. Or course that is a waste of money and effort too. Since the mothers who voted for her husband are too lazy to go to a grocery store or prepare a meal for their family. Yes Moose should know, food labeling is not the problem. The MSM mislabeling her husband since he came on the national scene was the problem. He is not smart. He is not wise. He is not a leader. For all we know he is not even her husband.

25 posted on Monday, March 03, 2014 8:12:53 PM by Conspiracy Guy (Stop wishing for a perfect world. You may get it. Who will you talk to then?)
American Mothers with their capitalized first letter prominence! That demographic majority of women that voted for Obama in both elections? Not REAL Americans, nor are they Mothers!!!! :bahgawd:

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

ArchangeI posted:

B. Obama: "I don't think suicide is a good idea and I would certainly never do it."

Bam. Tea Party eradicated due to mass suicides of members.

Reminder that when Michelle Obama said "drink more water" they went nuts about how water was bad

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

SedanChair posted:

It was fine. It's not transcendental or anything, though I imagine any number of white folks watching it used it to experience catharsis.
Dare I ask what your opinion of Schindler's List is?

And I'm not really sure what catharsis you think white people are getting from it, unless you are using the term to just refer to how it basically forces empathy with alien circumstances.

quote:

For me it was exemplified by Ellen's selfie, crowded with self-satisfied white stars at a gala event.
so your criticism of the film is exemplified by an event completely unrelated to the film?

Georgia Peach
Jan 7, 2005

SECESSION IS FUTILE

Fried Chicken posted:

Reminder that when Michelle Obama said "drink more water" they went nuts about how water was bad

From the people whose reaction to the discovery of a fresh water aquifer in Africa was a desire to piss in it.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

cafel posted:

This Imperial propaganda against the noble Wookie sickens me. All so they can excuse the Wookie slave labor used to construct the Death Star.
Hey, they should be thanking the Empire for rescuing them from a life of primitive savagery on Kashyyk!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Zero_Grade posted:

Hey, they should be thanking the Empire for rescuing them from a life of primitive savagery on Kashyyk!

Look, those cables are vines and are stronger than durasteel. But they have emergency repulsorlifts, how can you call a civilization with repulsorlifts savage????

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

SedanChair posted:

It was fine. It's not transcendental or anything, though I imagine any number of white folks watching it used it to experience catharsis. For me it was exemplified by Ellen's selfie, crowded with self-satisfied white stars at a gala event.

Yeah, that Ellen sure doesn't get those white catharsis issues at all...

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
LGBT Troops preform in drag

Two empires in one, heavily-labored breath!

quote:

> We cannot survive as a free nation if this evil persists.

Why else fo you think Obama has us running the same script as Rome did in its last days? Dr. Evil Soros has done his homework on how to kill a nation and 0 is his Waterloo general.

7 posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2014 7:21:34 AM by jsanders2001
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

quote:

I think it is to late, I cannot see how we can ever get out of debt and continue to survive as anything other than a Mind our own business, hard working get rid of the epa and all other waco agencies country.

While Maine will, without much of a doubt, be the first border state to secede, there is now ay we will be the last.

Watch the video here and simply change the state from Texas, which requires politicians to vote to secede, to Maine, which allows secession by a vote or force of the people. http://youtu.be/IYbQnJYcONc

9 posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2014 7:23:14 AM by The_Republic_Of_Maine (Be kept informed on Maine's secession, sign up at freemaine@hushmail.com)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

:qq:

quote:

Such an insult to all of you guys who have served so nobly and an affront to the ideals nation that you served.

May God forgive us and help us.

18 posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2014 8:33:00 AM by Bigg Red (1 Pt 1: As he who called you is holy, be holy yourselves in every aspect of your conduct.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

ColdSnickersBar
Apr 7, 2005

DemeaninDemon posted:

LGBT Troops preform in drag

Two empires in one, heavily-labored breath!

:qq:

Ugh. Rome's "last days" lasted 500 years if you're talking about the Western Roman Empire, and 1000 if you're talking about the Eastern as well. I really hate it when people try to say anything about Rome falling apart. I hate. Hate. Hate it. It's so small minded. So stupid. "Yeah. Uh, Rome had gays, and then they just packed it up and died. Sure, that's what happened." What just kills me about this is that when the WRE actually did (very, very slowly) fall apart, they were about as Christian and hardcore anti-gay as you can possibly be, and had been so for hundreds of years. And ERE, at the time and for the next 500 years, was even more Christian than *that*, and their major competing power was the loving Muslims. I mean, there wasn't anyone friendly to gay people in that whole region at that time. I guess maybe the Mongolians were more accepting of gay people and they were big players around that time.

This is how stupid they are. They know that, at some vague point in "Roman" history (which, I swear, I just know they're blending Roman and pre-Roman Greek culture) gay people were more accepted. Then, at some hazy point in the past, Rome stopped existing. They've made this into some disaster event that never happened. They put two and two together, and they end up with a version of history where "Rome" was there, and then they got the gay, and then they fell apart, in short order. That's how stupid they are. That stupid.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

predicto posted:

Yeah, that Ellen sure doesn't get those white catharsis issues at all...

She does get it. She's probably the person in the selfie who gets it most.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

ColdSnickersBar posted:

Ugh. Rome's "last days" lasted 500 years if you're talking about the Western Roman Empire, and 1000 if you're talking about the Eastern as well.

But you can rest assured that the empire ended because God got upset over some random acts of buggery, and so he destroyed the empire despite it's conversion to Christianity in the between!

ie. even if USA became a fundamentalist theocracy, God would eventually exact his revenge.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
But I read in the Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire that it was all based on Christianity! Would historians lie?!

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Nenonen posted:

But you can rest assured that the empire ended because God got upset over some random acts of buggery, and so he destroyed the empire despite it's conversion to Christianity in the between!

ie. even if USA became a fundamentalist theocracy, God would eventually exact his revenge.

Actually the Roman Empire can't have fallen because by some interpretations of the Bible that would mean the End Times had come. Since the world has kept turning, the Roman Empire continues to exist in the shape of Vatican City.

Badera
Jan 30, 2012

Student Brian Boyko has lost faith in America.

corn in the bible posted:

But I read in the Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire that it was all based on Christianity! Would historians lie?!

Gibbon should have laid down in the street and DIED!!!

Venusian Weasel
Nov 18, 2011

Nenonen posted:

But the Roman Empire was converted to the Roman Catholic church, which is practically satan worship. Doesn't count. :colbert:

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Venusian Weasel posted:

But the Roman Empire was converted to the Roman Catholic church, which is practically satan worship. Doesn't count. :colbert:

Real Christians are in a constant state of rebellion against their statist overlords.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

DemeaninDemon posted:

Real Christians are in a constant state of rebellion against their statist overlords.

Lucifer, the original Christian?

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

RagnarokAngel posted:

Lucifer, the original Christian?

Yah that guy. The far right has no problem ruling over a hellish wasteland if it means they are in charge. Lucifer kind of does that already.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
"I'm not racist." (claims every victory by any minority ever is due solely to racism)

My local Right Wing talk radio idiot had this to say "Of course 12 Years a Slave won, of course. It had the magic word in the title: slave. I haven't seen it but it might not even be a good movie and it STILL won!!"

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

The regeneration is failing! Hooooo...
Seems very freeper to assume every white person who likes something connected to non-whites only does so out of guilt.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Mind Loving Owl posted:

Seems very freeper to assume every white person who likes something connected to non-whites only does so out of guilt.

Of course, just like how anyone who cares about gay rights is gay, and any guy into feminism is just doing it to try and impress women.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.

SedanChair posted:

Ellen DeGeneres, a comedian, doing something silly at an awards show = a care case of WHITE HOLLYWOOD laughing at human oppression. :confused:

Did you even watch the movie, or were you too busy running home to Tumblr to draft your SJW rant about how Hollywoood? :v:

Interestingly, 12 Years a Slave was largely a British production, with an English director, best known for pretty indie films with limited market appeal, and starring an English and Irish man. Of course, to Freep, any film that isn't :911: is part of the HOLLYWIERD LIBERAL CONSPIRACY.

Also, about that Freeper complaining about Lone Survivor - films about the War on Terror have historically flopped or underperformed at the box office, even if they end up critically acclaimed, like The Hurt Locker. Lone Survivor was pretty much the most successful non-documentary film about the War on Terror ever. It's not that there's some Obama conspiracy to suppress :911: TRUE CONSERVATIVE PATRIOT MOVIES, it's that Americans seem to simply not want to see them most of the time. Free market, I guess?

Films about the WOT tend to make so little money, that some have called Iraq films the "toxic genre". I guess people don't want to see the horrific things that the world has seen in the last decade repackaged as entertainment, maybe?

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
Let's start the day with some Freeper tears.

Gay, lesbian troops perform in drag at Kadena Air Base fundraiser !

quote:

We R F:::ed !

1 posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2014 3:13:39 AM by sushiman
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | View Replies]

I love the post/username combo here.

quote:

To: GeronL

drat Japanese !

3 posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2014 3:23:41 AM by sushiman

quote:

To: sushiman

Kiss America Good-Bye!

4 posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2014 3:34:17 AM by chicagolady (Mexican Elite say: EXPORT Poverty and Let the the Stupid AmericanTaxpayer foot the bill !)

quote:

I just can’t find words to express my sadness and disgust for what this President and members of Congress have done to our military.

5 posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2014 3:46:35 AM by ImNotLying (The Right To Bear Arms: Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless!)

quote:

To: ImNotLying

Remember, most Americans voted for this. Twice. That’s where we are losing, and winning them over to Conservative values is what it will take to change this.

6 posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2014 3:51:01 AM by TwelveOfTwenty (See my home page for some of my answers to the left's talking points.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

quote:

To: TwelveOfTwenty

Well, the lame duck Pelosi House passed it in December 2010. The Tea Party won the November elections and the defeated rats, headed out the door, gave their parting shot, a big middle finger to America's military.

9 posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2014 4:15:38 AM by Jacquerie (Article V.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 6 | View Replies]

quote:

To: polymuser
civil rights

There's nothing civil or right about this spectacle. People have completely bastardized the English language and every meaning of words and phrases used just 50 years ago to denote an actual real world struggle where people were dying and unable to live a free life.

These Marxists have destroyed everything about American greatness. Stalin and Lenin are dancing a jig together in Hell.

12 posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2014 4:30:16 AM by rarestia (It's time to water the Tree of Liberty.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 7 | View Replies]

quote:

13 posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2014 4:31:51 AM by SeekAndFind

quote:

Obamas military. It’s how far he will go to fill the
ranks with people who WILL fire on the American People.
This is the political military that will be used to
go door to door confiscating guns and the random little
girl or boy toy.

14 posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2014 4:35:59 AM by Slambat

Conway won't appeal Judge Heyburn's ruling on same-sex marriage, but Beshear will

quote:

To: Republican Wildcat

Can the AG be fired/impeached for violating his duties?

2 posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2014 9:19:11 PM by kaehurowing

quote:

But Rand Paul worshipped Aqua Buddha. Jack Conway represents Kentucky values.

4 posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2014 9:34:47 PM by ObamahatesPACoal

quote:

To: Republican Wildcat; All
... said the matter will likely be decided by the U.S. Supreme Court, ...

What's there to decide?

As mentioned in related threads, not only did the Founding States make the 10th Amendment to clarify that the Constitution's silence about things like marriage means that government power to reglate marriage is automatically reserved uniquely to the states, not the federal government, but the states have never amended the the Constitution to expressly protected so-called gay rights. So the states are free to make laws which discriminate against gay issues like same-sex marriage, as long as such laws don't unreasonably abridge constitutionally enumerated rights.

Unsurprisingly, institutionally-indoctrinated (Constitution-ignoring?) attorneys seem to behaving a big problem with this issue.

6 posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2014 10:07:39 PM by Amendment10

quote:

WTF....since when does he get to pick and choose which state laws he will defend?

FIRE his lazy rear end.

9 posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2014 12:40:41 AM by Crim (Palin / West '16)

For some reason they seem to love using the term "shoved down our throats" when talking about gay rights.

quote:

Jack Conway: EAGER to see sodomy shoved down the throat of America and America’s children. But at least he is “emotional” about it, right?

10 posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2014 1:41:46 AM by SoFloFreeper

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

quote:

To: ImNotLying

Remember, most Americans voted for this. Twice. That’s where we are losing, and winning them over to Conservative values is what it will take to change this.

6 posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2014 3:51:01 AM by TwelveOfTwenty (See my home page for some of my answers to the left's talking points.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 5 | View Replies]

The way we're going to do this is by spewing bilious bigotry, refusing to acknowledge the basic scientific principles that drive everything around us, and denying civil rights to huge swaths of the population. Who's with me? OK, on three...

ClownSyndrome
Sep 2, 2011

Do you think love can bloom on bob-omb Battlefield?
American Soldiers performing a degenerate drag show on stage you say?

http://publicdomainreview.org/collections/ww2-us-soldier-drag-show/

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

OldMemes posted:

Ellen DeGeneres, a comedian, doing something silly at an awards show = a care case of WHITE HOLLYWOOD laughing at human oppression. :confused:

THOU SHALT NOT QUESTION COMEDIANS

quote:

Did you even watch the movie, or were you too busy running home to Tumblr to draft your SJW rant about how Hollywoood? :v:

I watched it. Did you have a point? Other than to apply "SJW rant" to criticisms of a movie that surely itself is a "SJW rant"? Do you think black people will be grateful to you for defending "their" movie?

woke wedding drone fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Mar 5, 2014

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l

SedanChair posted:

I watched it. Did you have a point? Other than to apply "SJW rant" to criticisms of a movie that surely itself is a "SJW rant"? Do you think black people will be grateful to you for defending "their" movie?

:pwn:

Jesus, maybe he just liked the loving movie? That's a heavy load to drop on someone over an award ceremony. Is there any serious movie about slavery that doesn't fall under the scope of your criticism? Or is it only okay to make a movie about slavery when it's an outright exploitation film ala Mandingo that institutional film snobs wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Cross posting from the funny pictures thread to end the retarded Oscars derail:

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

SedanChair posted:

THOU SHALT NOT QUESTION COMEDIANS

It's always amazing when the mask comes off and we get to see which posters are in agreement with Rush Limbaugh and unironically quote VDARE. Yeah, it can't actually be a good movie, it has to be well received because of white guilt.

SlipUp posted:

:pwn:

Jesus, maybe he just liked the loving movie? That's a heavy load to drop on someone over an award ceremony. Is there any serious movie about slavery that doesn't fall under the scope of your criticism? Or is it only okay to make a movie about slavery when it's an outright exploitation film ala Mandingo that institutional film snobs wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole?

I still want him to answer my question about Schindler's List. I've got a dollar that says his criticisms don't apply to it for some magical reason

Fried Chicken fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Mar 5, 2014

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
I know we've covered the freeper purges a couple times recently, but god drat have they just degenerated into frothing, belligerent hatred. There isn't even any criticism left. There's no arguments being made. There's no debate points. It's pure, unadulterated, 'spray-n-pray' hatred. Looking at those Michelle Obama posts I can't imagine anything but some red faced old man with bulging veins trying to not scream explicit racial epitaphs at his monitor, and failing.

Can't wait to see what happens in 2016.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Fried Chicken posted:

I still want him to answer my question about Schindler's List. I've got a dollar that says his criticisms don't apply to it for some magical reason

Schindler's List was kind of a plodding, dutiful movie, not unlike 12YAS. I never understood all the hype but then again I got my youthful dose of horror reading Man's Search for Meaning.

e: this is the author of your precious film

woke wedding drone fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Mar 5, 2014

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Crain posted:

I know we've covered the freeper purges a couple times recently, but god drat have they just degenerated into frothing, belligerent hatred. There isn't even any criticism left. There's no arguments being made. There's no debate points. It's pure, unadulterated, 'spray-n-pray' hatred. Looking at those Michelle Obama posts I can't imagine anything but some red faced old man with bulging veins trying to not scream explicit racial epitaphs at his monitor, and failing.

He's not resisting the screaming epitaphs at his monitor. He's resisting the urge to type it and instead replacing it with wookie, amish, and urban ferals.

ColdSnickersBar
Apr 7, 2005

SedanChair posted:

Schindler's List was kind of a plodding, dutiful movie, not unlike 12YAS. I never understood all the hype but then again I got my youthful dose of horror reading Man's Search for Meaning.

e: this is the author of your precious film

Black person criticizes people involved in race issues in which he's thoroughly familiar. Are you black? If not, what are you even saying? I will admit, though, that his use of the n-word makes my eyes roll out of my head -- but only because I know that there are white people in places like Reddit that will point to it as an excuse to say the word themselves. I can see that this guy doesn't intend for it to mean that, but that wont stop it from happening. Regardless, no single person is an ambassador to their race, and so no single person can ever give anyone license to be disrespectful to a whole race. Also, this article was written almost 10 years ago. My 10-year-ago self is a dead person and a total stranger to myself.

All of this is irrelevant. 12 Years A Slave could have been written by a baby-eating child molester, or have been written by Hitler himself, risen from the grave. It's irrelevant to how good the movie is. Your argument reminds me of the myth that Darwin recanted on his deathbed, or that he was a racist. It wouldn't matter if he were. His works aren't judged on his character.

EDIT: I want to point out that I haven't seen the movie, so please notice that I didn't mention any opinion on its quality. I'm only saying that your argument isn't sound.

ColdSnickersBar fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Mar 5, 2014

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Crain posted:

The US will die for the one millionth time. Maybe even the patriarchy will die if Hillary runs a few times, too.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Centripetal Horse posted:

The way we're going to do this is by spewing bilious bigotry, refusing to acknowledge the basic scientific principles that drive everything around us, and denying civil rights to huge swaths of the population. Who's with me? OK, on three...

The do realize that US soldiers have been performing borderline and outright homoerotic activities while in the field since forever, right? Talk to any soldier that has been stationed overseas and they'll tell you that it is a boring existence interspersed with moments of sheer terror, so during those long stretches of boredom they do whatever they can to keep themselves entertained, with this usually consisting of form of horseplay or other. Freepers and people like them really have this sterilized view of the military. They prefer to see them as cookie-cutter figures who follow orders, sleep, eat, and fight and when they're doing none of those lay in their bunks staring at the ceiling. It's a real dehumanization of the average grunt.

Darkman Fanpage fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Mar 5, 2014

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

ColdSnickersBar posted:

Black person criticizes people involved in race issues in which he's thoroughly familiar. Are you black?

Well that's what my birth certificate says...

quote:

If not, what are you even saying? I will admit, though, that his use of the n-word makes my eyes roll out of my head -- but only because I know that there are white people in places like Reddit that will point to it as an excuse to say the word themselves. I can see that this guy doesn't intend for it to mean that, but that wont stop it from happening. Regardless, no single person is an ambassador to their race, and so no single person can ever give anyone license to be disrespectful to a whole race. Also, this article was written almost 10 years ago. My 10-year-ago self is a dead person and a total stranger to myself.

He does intend it, it's a hateful screed against poor black people. It's pure Pat Buchanan garbage and if it was written 30 years ago it would still be damning. He's proudly despicable, pulling the ladder up behind himself. And he's managed an impressive feat: to, as a black man, say "niggers" with all the hatred of a white racist.

quote:

All of this is irrelevant. 12 Years A Slave could have been written by a baby-eating child molester, or have been written by Hitler himself, risen from the grave. It's irrelevant to how good the movie is. Your argument reminds me of the myth that Darwin recanted on his deathbed, or that he was a racist. It wouldn't matter if he were. His works aren't judged on his character.

That's an interesting perspective, and totally wrong. His hosed up self-loathing racist beliefs have revealed themselves in his movie, which presumably he wrote as a story about the last blacks in America who had the right to complain.

ColdSnickersBar
Apr 7, 2005

SedanChair posted:

Well that's what my birth certificate says...

Okay, then.

quote:

He does intend it, it's a hateful screed against poor black people. It's pure Pat Buchanan garbage and if it was written 30 years ago it would still be damning. He's proudly despicable, pulling the ladder up behind himself. And he's managed an impressive feat: to, as a black man, say "niggers" with all the hatred of a white racist.

Well, I can understand that. I can say, though, that I'm not about to judge when a black person can or can not say the n-word, because I don't have that amount of perspective on the subject. I can't know. So, what if he's angry, and speaking from a lifetime of struggle with that? I don't have as much right as you have to pass that judgement.

I can still say that it annoys me that people can point to it as license to say it themselves.

quote:

That's an interesting perspective, and totally wrong. His hosed up self-loathing racist beliefs have revealed themselves in his movie, which presumably he wrote as a story about the last blacks in America who had the right to complain.

Nuh uh, you're wrong.

Seriously, though, if there are these negative qualities in the film, then point to those examples instead of pointing to an incidental article written in 2006. If you have criticisms of the film, then criticize the film. It doesn't follow that a creative work gains or loses quality based on some other thing that the artist does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I don't need to talk about the film (not that it would shed any light on things for you, as you've admitted that you're holding forth without having seen it). The fact is that a self-loathing Booker T. Washington type who praises black Republicans and makes fun of black men getting killed by police wrote a screenplay about the wretchedness of slavery. It's a revealing and inherently political act which is placed in context by his prior statements (no apology for or disavowal of his previous opinions has been offered btw).

• Locked thread