Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zola
Jul 22, 2005

What do you mean "impossible"? You're so
cruel, Roger Smith...

Crash74 posted:

I hope for the next book it follows mile's wife. It would be cool to see her do a adventure or his clone working on another crazy rear end project.

Khizan posted:

My bet for the next book is that it's about Byerly Vorrutyer on Jackson's Whole.

Slo-Tek posted:

Kshatryia and Nuovo Brazilia haven't gotten a book yet, even though they get a throwaway mention in pretty much every book. I was pretty disappointed with Cryoburn, didn't care enough about Kibou-Dani, or child-characters.

Could stand for a more physical/kinetic character at some point as well. Maybe Armsman Roic to the fore for a book.

All of these sound great. I think I'd like a book from Ekaterin's perspective the best, but By is a close second.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Khizan posted:

My bet for the next book is that it's about Byerly Vorrutyer on Jackson's Whole.

I could go for this.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Decius posted:

Yeah, I too love Civil Campaign, even if - or maybe because - it is somewhat Jane Austen in space. Same with Captain Vorpatril's Alliance, although I found it more like the rest of the Vorkosigan saga compared the A Civil Campaign, despite Ivan being the protagonist.

Haha, my sister recommended the series last week to me and that's almost exactly how I described Shards of Honor to my wife - "Pride and Prejudice in space." That's also probably why both my sister and I like it so much. :shobon:

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
This is hilarious:

How David Weber orders a pizza

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I've posted something similar to this before, got some suggestions, checked stuff out with varying success and I'm out of ideas again for now.

I'm looking for sci fi/space opera, the bar doesn't have to even be very high quality wise but I'm a bit picky about a couple of things. I prefer to have a bit of spacebattles, spaceships, setting taking place in space some or most of the time and preferable something that is a series(more than one book). I'm reading Humanity's Fire right now, and I don't think I'll give up quite yet, but it's all mostly taking place on the one world and seems to involve mostly political intrigue and assassination/terror attacks. Also there is a "superweapon" that seems to be in play, but it seems they are making it more a mystical type thing which I also find lame. I actually prefer David Weber to this, as terrible as he can be at least there's spaceship pew pew and such between his boring stuff. I have the Vorksosigen books as well I intend to try, although I read about 1.5 books into the Cordelia part of the series, and it seemed to also be mostly just political or action stuff that seemed to mainly be planetside stuff, at least in the second book. Not that I don't enjoy some of the intrigue and plotting as well.

So again, I guess I'm looking for something that involves spaceships or fleets of spaceships, and war or conflict between them. I also like when there's a bit of science babble even if it is unrealistic bullshit most of the time. It seems like there would be no shortage of this type of thing, but I seem to be having trouble finding it. The only other series I can think of offhand is Lost Fleet but I found the characters and how they act frustrating in some way I can't describe. I'm also aware of the Culture stuff which doesn't seem to be what I'm looking for since I prefer a series, however I do intend to read them on their own merit eventually because of how well received they tend to be.

I imagine I didn't articulate my post very well as I usually am terrible at describing what it is I like in books or tv for some reason, but any suggestions are welcome if you think I might enjoy something.

edit: Also read Revelation Space and enjoyed it pretty well, despite the ending. And also Hamilton's Commonwealth stuff which I actually really liked.

edit2: That In Her Name: The Last War trilogy mentioned a page or two back seems to have really good reviews on Goodreads and Amazon for what little that's worth. The whole "sword fighting with honor" thing seems like it might be a bit doofy, but since the first book is free maybe I'll give it a shot. Also the Shoal Sequence looks like it might have an entertaining premise.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Feb 23, 2014

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Horror Queefs posted:

I've posted something similar to this before, got some suggestions, checked stuff out with varying success and I'm out of ideas again for now.

I'm looking for sci fi/space opera, the bar doesn't have to even be very high quality wise but I'm a bit picky about a couple of things. I prefer to have a bit of spacebattles, spaceships, setting taking place in space some or most of the time and preferable something that is a series(more than one book). I'm reading Humanity's Fire right now, and I don't think I'll give up quite yet, but it's all mostly taking place on the one world and seems to involve mostly political intrigue and assassination/terror attacks. Also there is a "superweapon" that seems to be in play, but it seems they are making it more a mystical type thing which I also find lame. I actually prefer David Weber to this, as terrible as he can be at least there's spaceship pew pew and such between his boring stuff. I have the Vorksosigen books as well I intend to try, although I read about 1.5 books into the Cordelia part of the series, and it seemed to also be mostly just political or action stuff that seemed to mainly be planetside stuff, at least in the second book. Not that I don't enjoy some of the intrigue and plotting as well.

So again, I guess I'm looking for something that involves spaceships or fleets of spaceships, and war or conflict between them. I also like when there's a bit of science babble even if it is unrealistic bullshit most of the time. It seems like there would be no shortage of this type of thing, but I seem to be having trouble finding it. The only other series I can think of offhand is Lost Fleet but I found the characters and how they act frustrating in some way I can't describe. I'm also aware of the Culture stuff which doesn't seem to be what I'm looking for since I prefer a series, however I do intend to read them on their own merit eventually because of how well received they tend to be.

I imagine I didn't articulate my post very well as I usually am terrible at describing what it is I like in books or tv for some reason, but any suggestions are welcome if you think I might enjoy something.

edit: Also read Revelation Space and enjoyed it pretty well, despite the ending. And also Hamilton's Commonwealth stuff which I actually really liked.

edit2: That In Her Name: The Last War trilogy mentioned a page or two back seems to have really good reviews on Goodreads and Amazon for what little that's worth. The whole "sword fighting with honor" thing seems like it might be a bit doofy, but since the first book is free maybe I'll give it a shot. Also the Shoal Sequence looks like it might have an entertaining premise.

If you don't mind unrealistic bullshit, read the Deathstalker-books by Simon R. Green. It's a unrealistic spaceshit bullopera, as I like to call it. But thanks to never taking itself too seriously, it's still a great fun to read.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
You should check out the Starfire series by David Weber and Steve White, it sounds like exactly what you want.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Click the ? By my name. I wrote a post of books with exactly what you're looking for.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Piell posted:

You should check out the Starfire series by David Weber and Steve White, it sounds like exactly what you want.

Yeah, the Starfire books are okay. It matches your criteria in that 90% of the series is seen from the bridges of various warships. It kind of peaks with In Death Ground, though. The Shiva Option isn't too bad, but I didn't care for Insurrection and the later books by White and Meier without Weber left me cold. Note that while Insurrection was written first, it takes place chronologically after The Shiva Option but before Exodus, and makes much more sense when read there than in the published order.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Mister Kingdom posted:

Just finished Barrayar. Much better than Shards.

It's got some pure distilled awesome in it, for sure. There's a rather amusing reference in a much later book to going shopping with Cordelia.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Horror Queefs posted:

Neal Asher and the Polity or Owners series might be up you alley then.
For space battles, I would say the latter part of the Polity has some massive high-paced fights.
His universe is basically like Banks, but more action, grittier and faster-pacing plus bonus feature of terrifying ecosystems.

Spug
Dec 10, 2006

Then turn not pale, beloved snail, but come and join the dance.
What about the Expanse series by James S. A. Corey (starts with Leviathan Wakes)?

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
Re-posting something I said about the Expanse series a few months ago...

quote:

I just finished Abaddon's Gate. While it's a decent enough little series, one thing really stood out to me.

The author(s) managed to create a sci-fi setting that's epic and interesting and its all done with more or less today's technology. There's one notable exception (a fusion drive that brings fuel cost/capacity into limits feasible for traveling the solar system), but almost everything else in the setting is comparable to our technology today.

They don't travel faster than we can now (either FTL or Wormholes), they don't have artificial gravity and they don't fight with lazers or transporters. Instead, they use thrust or rotation for gravity, haven't left the solar system, use something equivelant to the internet for communication, and fight with guns and nukes. The familiarity with the tech level really set my imagination off like no other story has in a long time!

(Ok there's a couple exceptions like the mech armor or the medical and agricultural tech that we don't have... But I'm thinking more about the space travel setting in general).

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
If you want crazy weird space battles, and don't mind fairly poo poo story/writing/science bits, the Saga of the Seven Suns may be up your alley.

I couldn't get through the third or so book, but it had a few decent battles that I remember. Note:it's been a few years and I can be easy to please. Also note that although I'm easy to please, the series was so bad that I couldn't finish it out.

John Magnum
Feb 10, 2013
I think I read the first three or four, and there were at least some interesting weird alien species. But fair warning: It's written by Kevin J Anderson.

snooman
Aug 15, 2013

This nails Weber's style but I feel like your post needs more exposition before you actually grace us with a hyperlink. Maybe start with the history of kites and keys before working up to the internet.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

snooman posted:

This nails Weber's style but I feel like your post needs more exposition before you actually grace us with a hyperlink. Maybe start with the history of kites and keys before working up to the internet.

According to my experience with Weber it misses at least one person talking/thinking about how awesome sailing is. But almost perfect is good enough in my book.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

snooman posted:

Took things I noticed wrong:

1) Chapter start didn't spend a page introducing a character, his backstory, and motivations just to end with, "None of this would stop the <technobabbly weapon> that just killed him."
2) No reference to well Mrs. <CHARACTERS SURNAME> didn't raise no dummy or anything similar.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.

Libluini posted:

According to my experience with Weber it misses at least one person talking/thinking about how awesome sailing is. But almost perfect is good enough in my book.

I searched for 'baseball' and it found no hits, so i don't see how this could possibly be by Weber.

Miss-Bomarc
Aug 1, 2009

Horror Queefs posted:

So again, I guess I'm looking for something that involves spaceships or fleets of spaceships, and war or conflict between them. I also like when there's a bit of science babble even if it is unrealistic bullshit most of the time.
Drake's "Leary" series is, I think, what you have in mind. I would suggest starting with "Lt. Leary Commanding", because the first book is kind of different in tone (and spends a surprising amount of time not being about spaceships.)

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008

Miss-Bomarc posted:

Drake's "Leary" series is, I think, what you have in mind. I would suggest starting with "Lt. Leary Commanding", because the first book is kind of different in tone (and spends a surprising amount of time not being about spaceships.)

I concur. David Drake's RCN series is pretty fun to read. The faster than light technology is a bit unusual but as far as I saw, internally consistent and enjoyable to read about, and the characters either likeable or fun to read about. The spaceships themselves are, I believe, fairly small? Relatable sizes anyway. I enjoy myself more with vessels on a sort of wet-navy scale compared to stuff with ships the size of moons (Empire from the Ashes) or what not. Personal preference of course. Doesn't matter to most people I guess :v:

I also detected less political background noise compared to Weber's work, which is good for someone far removed from American politics like me.

Psykmoe fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Feb 26, 2014

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Spug posted:

What about the Expanse series by James S. A. Corey (starts with Leviathan Wakes)?

First book is good, second one worse but Bad Grandma saves it, third is just tedious and boring. The good characters are not kept around in the series.

nucleicmaxid posted:

If you want crazy weird space battles, and don't mind fairly poo poo story/writing/science bits, the Saga of the Seven Suns may be up your alley.

I couldn't get through the third or so book, but it had a few decent battles that I remember. Note:it's been a few years and I can be easy to please. Also note that although I'm easy to please, the series was so bad that I couldn't finish it out.

For sure it is crazy weird space battles, with emphasis on weird.
Every book just tried to top the previous in new fantastical things, which became frustrating after a while.
It is easy to read, no doubt about it though.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
edit: Wrong thread, meant to be in the Science Fiction thread. Confirming my stupidity.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Cardiac posted:

First book is good, second one worse but Bad Grandma saves it, third is just tedious and boring. The good characters are not kept around in the series.

The first book and the detective scenes were the best. The atmosphere was awesome. He should stick to noir.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

orange sky posted:

The first book and the detective scenes were the best. The atmosphere was awesome. He should stick to noir.

Yeah, he/they write morally ambiguous characters better than Mary Sues like Holden.
Bad part, they extended the series from 3 to 7 because reasons.

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
Do you really think Holden is a Mary Sue? All of the other characters in the series consider his "Mary Sue'ness" to be over the top and a liability (and tons of people hate him or think he's stupid for it). I can see not liking the character, but I don't know if I'd call him a straight up Mary Sue.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

syphon posted:

Do you really think Holden is a Mary Sue? All of the other characters in the series consider his "Mary Sue'ness" to be over the top and a liability (and tons of people hate him or think he's stupid for it). I can see not liking the character, but I don't know if I'd call him a straight up Mary Sue.

Don't really think of him as a Mary Sue, but he's stupidly idealistic and plain stupid sometimes throughout the whole thing. One would expect him to be just a bit sharper by book 3. I still like the books, but I have to agree that some characters are a flat line.

E: What are the next books gonna be about? Exploring other galaxies and poo poo?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Read Spheres of Influence, the sequel to Grand Central Arena by Ryk Spoor. Much like the earlier book, it's enjoyable as pure optimistic space-opera pulp, but I gotta warn you guys, the dude lets his nerd flag fly. In one of its subplots, the book features Marc C. DuQuesne from the Skylark series teaming up with Sun Wukong and Kim Possible (who is sharing a body with Oasis from Sluggy Freelance) to face down Ensign Mary Sue. At one point, Wukong helps Freeza from Dragonball Z beat up a few dozen hired goons. Space opera this pure is a rare and pleasant thing, and the author's imagination and enthusiasm are charming when he's not going full weeaboo at you, but if you can't read the spoilered section without your eyeballs rolling out of your skull, this is not the book for you.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Darth Walrus posted:

if you can't read the spoilered section without your eyeballs rolling out of your skull, this is not the book for you.

Aww, goddamn it. I already bought it but hadn't gotten around to reading it yet, and now I wish I hadn't bought it.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Hughlander posted:

Took things I noticed wrong:

1) Chapter start didn't spend a page introducing a character, his backstory, and motivations just to end with, "None of this would stop the <technobabbly weapon> that just killed him."
2) No reference to well Mrs. <CHARACTERS SURNAME> didn't raise no dummy or anything similar.

"...So that's about the size of it," concluded Hughlander, the better part of two hours later.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

syphon posted:

Yeah, if anything his whole "honest guy" thing seems to piss people off/cause deaths more than actually helping pretty much all the time. Add in things like his little issue in the last novel being less than forgiving of Clarissa than the people she actually hurt and getting called on it, and he has too many reasonable flaws for me to really dub him a Marty Sue. Also seems to keep surviving by the skin of his teeth really, though that sort of applies to everybody in the Expanse series. Along with "humanity will choose the smart option after all other options have been exhausted"; I suppose Holden's main superpower is getting there first most of the time.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
His problem is not so much that he's perfect as that all his flaws and struggles are profoundly familiar, trite, and boring.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
The Expanse is fun to read, but yeah, I wouldn't expect anything super interesting in terms of characterization. I did like that the authors included more women in the second and third books.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

General Battuta posted:

His problem is not so much that he's perfect as that all his flaws and struggles are profoundly familiar, trite, and boring.

Yeah and it might not be so bad if we didn't get to see this setting through other POVs that are much better/more interesting. His XO/girlfriend is pretty bland too, which is too bad because she's the one character he spends the most time thinking about.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

MadDogMike posted:

being less than forgiving of Clarissa than the people she actually hurt and getting called on it

Well we can't hold that against him, Clarissa was unbearable (in a good, deliberate way). :qq: Oh it's so unfair how dare they send daddy to prison over sadistic experiments on living people for :10bux: :qq:

E: Even at the end, I think, she comes round because of the sheer number of people who die for her revenge, rather than admitting dad did anything wrong.

Strategic Tea fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Feb 28, 2014

Spug
Dec 10, 2006

Then turn not pale, beloved snail, but come and join the dance.

Cardiac posted:

Agreed on the second one but I really liked the third, more space opera. What characters do you miss? Miller sticks around so

Cardiac posted:

Yeah, he/they write morally ambiguous characters better than Mary Sues like Holden.
Bad part, they extended the series from 3 to 7 because reasons.
Well 6 but yeah

orange sky posted:

E: What are the next books gonna be about? Exploring other galaxies and poo poo?
Pretty much: http://www.amazon.com/Cibola-Burn-Expanse-James-Corey/dp/031621762X/

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Spug posted:

Agreed on the second one but I really liked the third, more space opera. What characters do you miss? Miller sticks around so

Well, Miller was only interesting in the first book, and now he is some kind of disembodied ghost similar to Clarkes 2010.

Spug posted:

Well 6 but yeah

I'm done with this series, it is not going anywhere interesting and none of the characters are that interesting.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

So anyone here read Proxima by Stephen Baxter? I think he's one of the absolute best sci-fi authors currently but I didn't even realize he had done another book until I just read about it on io9. From what I read about it there it kind of sounds like a conceptual successor to the Manifold trilogy, which is fine with me.

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
Has anyone here read the Quadrail books? I was talking about Timothy Zahn the other day (well, listening to my brother how everyone in the Thrawn trilogy purses their lips all the time) and I looked up what else the guy wrote.

Quadrail's 'FTL train network' concept sounds goofy as hell but I do love trains so...easy reading or eyerollingly annoying?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Psykmoe posted:

Has anyone here read the Quadrail books? I was talking about Timothy Zahn the other day (well, listening to my brother how everyone in the Thrawn trilogy purses their lips all the time) and I looked up what else the guy wrote.

Quadrail's 'FTL train network' concept sounds goofy as hell but I do love trains so...easy reading or eyerollingly annoying?

Read The Icarus Hunt instead, which is a standalone and totally awesome.

Here's what I wrote on Goodreads about The Icarus Hunt...

me on goodreads posted:

A pretty fun and fast-paced murder mystery/space chase thriller.

The galaxy of the book is populated with not-very-alien aliens, much like Star Wars. But as much as I prefer biologically/behaviourally unique aliens in science fiction, the relative samey-ness of the world-building didn't really bother me, as the setting is really just an inconsequential backdrop for Zahn's mystery plot.

I would have liked a little more character development, particularly for Ixil, who was the coolest and best character in the book (and one of the two main alien characters). Seriously, Ixil all the way. He deserves a book (or book series) about him. <3

The twist at the end was pretty drat cool. There are actually a couple of twists in the last few chapters. The first is the solution to the mystery, which is surprising enough but admittedly not that exciting; but that's soon followed by an awesome twist about two of the characters that completely changes basically the whole book. I really enjoyed that.

... and here's what I wrote about the first Quadrail book, Night Train to Rigel.

me on goodreads posted:

It was just okay. Pretty silly overall, with by-the-numbers action sequences, and barely any science in the sci-fi.

I like what Zahn does with the "dashing rogue with a galaxy against him" genre, and the alien races were pretty cool despite being Star-Wars-y (having no discernable difference in personality/culture from humans). But this book just kinda lacked substance and gripping ideas. Zahn's earlier(?) book The Icarus Hunt was a much better, and more enjoyable, stab at the same kind of plot.

The core concept (trains in space!) could have been done interestingly, but there was barely any imagination in the development of the idea. It's literally just trains, the same size and shape as trains today, inside and out. Regular trains that just go really fast through interstellar tubes. For a transport method developed by aliens a thousand years ago, they are pretty mundane.

I probably won't follow up on reading the rest of the series.

• Locked thread