Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Equinox
Sep 15, 2005

By day a mild-mannered college professor, by night Kiki, go-go dancer at the Pussycat Club. But twice a year, he's... CAPTAIN EQUINOX!
At first I wasn't that impressed with George's sculpt, but that paint job he put on it totally brought it to life. A well-deserved win.
And Tyler's was just the opposite, it started out great but then he kept adding to it and covering up the cool design. And the moss pajamas didn't help.
Surprised to see Cat go, I was sure Niko was getting the boot this week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Captain Equinox posted:

At first I wasn't that impressed with George's sculpt, but that paint job he put on it totally brought it to life. A well-deserved win.
And Tyler's was just the opposite, it started out great but then he kept adding to it and covering up the cool design. And the moss pajamas didn't help.

Niko was probably spared because he was the winner of a spotlight challenge that blew them all away earlier, while Kat hadn't shown off anything amazing.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Troposphere posted:

Create an anime character are you kidding me this is going to be amazingly hilarious.

And horrifying. I can't wait!

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Captain Equinox posted:

The right makeup definitely won. I guess Tyler's succeeded in looking like a tree, but not exactly a "tree wizard"; it looked like a literal stump with a face.

That halfassed Robocop wizard should have gone; there was literally no redeeming quality to it.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

KungFu Grip posted:

Niko was probably spared because he was the winner of a spotlight challenge that blew them all away earlier, while Kat hadn't shown off anything amazing.

That was my thought too. Based only on this week Niko was the obvious boot, but it's pretty clear that at this point the judges are also weighting their entire body of work at this point in deciding who to eliminate.

I wonder how much Matt (and maybe Tess) is kicking himself for not lasting long enough to go to Japan.

KIT HAGS
Jun 5, 2007
Stay sweet
I like how the show apparently doesn't screen the models for potential allergies or use hypoallergenic materials.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

IcePhoenix posted:

I wonder how much Matt is kicking himself for not lasting long enough to go to Japan.

I think you just pin-pointed exactly why I hated Matt on sight. I bet you the face-off crew is only going to film stuff that furthers the myth that Japan is just like an anime, too.

Coconut Indian posted:

I like how the show apparently doesn't screen the models for potential allergies or use hypoallergenic materials.

Yeah. That was pretty awesome. But at least George always makes two masks. We've seen him do that in at least one other episode. That paint job was amazing. On one with safety-pinned teeth, I can't figure out why the judges were so impressed. Yeah, maybe they've never seen it done, but it looked loving stupid, imo. Chloe's looked like it was wearing a beard and I don't understand how she looked at her wand, saw the filigree, then decided to just make swirls all over the place that had nothing to do with the design of the filigree. Darren used another terrible wig. I would love it if he got called out over his choice of wigs at some point. Don't people usually style them to go with the costume instead of just pulling them out of a bag and hastily slapping them on the model?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Bored posted:

Chloe's looked like it was wearing a beard

This was my initial thought too, like as soon as the lights came up and they showed her closeup my first reaction was "wow that's a beard." I was pretty surprised none of the judges nailed her on it.

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

So apparently Rashaad is working on a Godzilla fan film?

Godzilla: Heritage

https://www.facebook.com/GodzillaHeritage

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
I love Rashaad.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Magnus Condomus posted:

So apparently Rashaad is working on a Godzilla fan film?

KungFu Grip posted:

I love Rashaad.

I love him too, that G suit looks like it's going to be amazing. :allears:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Every season there's a few people who stand out as having a passion and love for movies and the makeup/effects industry above and beyond the others. This season its Rashaad, its a quality that makes a person incredibly easy to root for.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
I love how low key Graham is. Even talking about his own modelling skills, "yeah, it was good. I'm good :effort: ". Hilarious.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
The only ones I haven't been crazy about that are still in are Daran, Chloe, and Corinne.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Does SyFy put full episodes up online? My roommates and I are ditching cable starting next month but I'd still like to watch this (and the Creature Workshop show) and give them ad revenue and whatnot.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

Does SyFy put full episodes up online? My roommates and I are ditching cable starting next month but I'd still like to watch this (and the Creature Workshop show) and give them ad revenue and whatnot.

They put them up slowly on their website (& Hulu) for free (episodes 1&2 are up now), but the rest you have to sign in with your TV credentials.

quote:

The last five episodes to air on Syfy are available 30 days on Hulu.com after they air on TV. Episodes may vary based on on-air schedule.

So they go up eventually.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
If you don't want to wait a month you can also buy them on Amazon Instant Video for a few bucks.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Here's some new promo videos for the Jim Henson's Creature Shop Challenge show.

:stare:

:neckbeard:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
That fuzzy one :3:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
This is it, guys. The episode we've been waiting for all season.

Episode 8: "Ego Trip Abroad"
Airdate: March 4, 2014
After a trip overseas to Japan, the artists must create a real world anime character based on their Alter Egos

Haaaa, that's even better than I expected. I'm expecting some awesome stuff and a few complete trainwrecks.
Matt will be sitting at home watching this and crying bitter weeaboo tears. :haw:

Rashaad and Graham are the only contestants left who haven't won an episode but they're also the only guys who've never been in bottom looks so they'll probably hang in there for a while. Tyler and George are going really strong after slow starts, Daran and Niko have been struggling lately.
I'm predicting that Niko will fall apart without his girlfriend around and crap out this episode. I'm guessing from the Facebook link earlier in the thread that Rashaad might be a fan of this genre so it might be his time to shine.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Mar 4, 2014

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

This is it, guys. The episode we've been waiting for all season.

Episode 8: "Ego Trip Abroad"
Airdate: March 4, 2014
After a trip overseas to Japan, the artists must create a real world anime character based on their Alter Egos

Haaaa, that's even better than I expected. I'm expecting some awesome stuff and a few complete trainwrecks.
Matt will be sitting at home watching this and crying bitter weeaboo tears. :haw:

Rashaad and Graham are the only contestants left who haven't won an episode but they're also the only guys who've never been in bottom looks so they'll probably hang in there for a while. Tyler and George are going really strong after slow starts, Daran and Niko have been struggling lately.
I'm predicting that Niko will fall apart without his girlfriend around and crap out this episode. I'm guessing from the Facebook link earlier in the thread that Rashaad might be a fan of this genre so it might be his time to shine.

I could have sworn Rashaad won the first or second episode, but it was Chloe. But, yes, this is going to be deliciously painful.

You beat me to my edit. I still think it's because of Anthony's season. Like, he won the first 3 times and then the judges had to start pretending he wasn't awesome. They learned from that and are trying to make this season more dramatic. Has any of Rashaad's work not been polished. I've liked several other artist's pieces as much as I've liked his, but his are consistently excellent.

I also dislike Chloe for some reason, which might be why, in my head, Rashaad won the first challenge.
\/\/\/

Bored fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Mar 4, 2014

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Bored posted:

I could have sworn Rashaad won the first or second episode. But, yes, this is going to be deliciously painful.

He was paired with Chloe for the "Beauty and the Beast" challenge in the first episode and they were the winning team but Chloe was the overall winner. He's been in Top Looks four times but so far he's always the bridesmaid, never the bride.

KIT HAGS
Jun 5, 2007
Stay sweet
Is this the first time a person of color has made it this far on Faceoff? When did Weepy Sue get booted?

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Posted in the "Oppa Steampunk Style" thread. I'm pretty sure that's Matt Silva at 13 seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JGemIjM90Q&t=11s

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
I fear that Corrine will get to the finals with only minimalist designs the whole time, and that is kind of boring.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

The insanity begins. :getin:

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

iastudent posted:

The insanity begins. :getin:

YES! Hope they enjoy their liver flukes.

Edit: oh, you mean a kappa!

Lol. Jk. I'm sure he doesn't actually know anything about eastern mythology.

Bored fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Mar 5, 2014

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

The people I follow on Twitter convinced me to watch this episode with the promise of "real life anime". As a big tokusatsu fan, I hope these guys can make some very Japanese monsters.

KIT HAGS
Jun 5, 2007
Stay sweet
Did she just pronounce Japanese similar to mayonnaise?

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
They did a lot of touring in the first half instead of competing.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Coconut Indian posted:

Did she just pronounce Japanese similar to mayonnaise?

Probably. Derren's was pretty hideous, IMO. Corinne should win this one since it seems that the paint job is what he's most concerned with. It'd be cool to see Corinne go balls-to-the-wall crazy. Don't know if she's capable of it tho.

Oh god! The one-eyed, one-horned flying purple people eater was adorable in the still ads I saw, but seeing it in action...D'aww.

Yesss! They're showing us their crappy drawings!

Graham's sounds retarded. Of course Corinne's and Chloe's look the same. They're anime style.

Bored fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Mar 5, 2014

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
^ Graham seems to be going with a more organic looking Akira blob arm.

Hooo boy I hope George's power ranger robot works out well.

KungFu Grip fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Mar 5, 2014

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

KungFu Grip posted:

Hooo boy I hope George's power ranger robot works out well.

Needs more spandex for that authentic Power Rangers feel.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Liar Lyre posted:

Needs more spandex for that authentic Power Rangers feel.

I suspect the spandex will show up in the final design, don't worry.

KIT HAGS
Jun 5, 2007
Stay sweet
Someone should have made an anime version of Glen.

Cristatus
Apr 23, 2010
All the guys are having a ton of fun this week. No matter how their makeups actually turn out, it's fun to watch. Rashaad and that hair :3:

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
I want to see what would happen if they brought Laney back from last year for one week only.

KIT HAGS
Jun 5, 2007
Stay sweet
HAHAHAH Is she loving kidding with that paint job? It looks like papier mache or a melted real doll.

Edit: Jesus Christ Glen's hair.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
It's even more disturbing than I imagined :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cristatus
Apr 23, 2010
Chloe and Corinne's look like the most busted sex dolls ever.

• Locked thread