Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

triplexpac posted:

Speaking of great stuff WWE dropped, they used to have this really cool prediction game on their site. You'd pick guys and they would get points based on wins, appearances, finishers hit, weapons used, etc. It was awesome.

Oh man I loved the WWE Fantasy GM game. Sooooo good. Broken as poo poo when you got 3 pts per weapon shot and had Sandman on your team :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

MassRafTer posted:

Vader was given a big push out of the gate and was intended to beat Michaels for the belt to set up a rematch with HBK winning the belt back at RR 97 in front of a billion people. Michaels threw a hissy fit and refused to lose the belt to Vader.

Cornette mentioned that Michaels threatened to get Vader fired at Summerslam '96 for stiffing him and yanking his hair for what that's worth.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Rusty Shackelford posted:

I wouldn't call it a big push. He debuted at the Rumble and the next night on Raw he was suspended for beating up Gorilla Monsoon and Savio Vega. He wasn't on the February PPV and was in a lame curtain jerking 6-man match at WrestleMania. In April, he beat Razor in Razor's last WWF match, and was squashed by Yokozuna at the PPV in May. He then lost to Jake Roberts in the KOTR tourny in June. In July, he was part of the winning 6 man team at the July PPV and then faced Michaels at SummerSlam in August.

The WWF wanted Vader but they didn't know what to do with him. Had he won at SummerSlam, it would have been the biggest upset based on how he had been booked the previous 7 months.

I have no idea what they were thinking with the Yoko match (maybe to set up a match for Vader as champion?) but he lost to Jake via DQ in a match he looked strong in. The Gorilla thing was also a pretty heavy heat angle for its time, although today beating up the old authority figure doesn't sound like much.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Tharizdun posted:

Oh man I loved the WWE Fantasy GM game. Sooooo good. Broken as poo poo when you got 3 pts per weapon shot and had Sandman on your team :getin:

Haha yeah I remember picking someone one week who went on a rampage with a chair, I felt like I won the lottery

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I'm pretty sure he eventually retired Yokozuna with a Vaderbomb to his leg.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

DeathChicken posted:

I'm pretty sure he eventually retired Yokozuna with a Vaderbomb to his leg.

Not at that show, because Yokozuna vs. Austin was the Free For All match at SummerSlam 96.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

MassRafTer posted:

I have no idea what they were thinking with the Yoko match (maybe to set up a match for Vader as champion?) but he lost to Jake via DQ in a match he looked strong in. The Gorilla thing was also a pretty heavy heat angle for its time, although today beating up the old authority figure doesn't sound like much.

No, it was pretty intense, I know. But, he had been in the WWF for 2 days at that point. It did nothing for his WWF career. He should have started out strong by attacking a wrestler, not a 60 year old man.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

No, it was pretty intense, I know. But, he had been in the WWF for 2 days at that point. It did nothing for his WWF career. He should have started out strong by attacking a wrestler, not a 60 year old man.

The thing was that Vader was uncontrollable. He had a photo on WWF.com where Cornette was trying (and failing) to hold Vader back. He beat up his own stablemate, the commissioner, and the champ.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Yeah Vader from the start was supposed to be a giant unstoppable monster heel but they didn't book him like one at all.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Mar 4, 2014

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Vader is one of those guys who, with any booking sense, should be a can't-miss. You have him come in, kayfabe injure people, boom, over monster heel. Vader also had the bonus of being really loving good in the ring.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005
He had a ready-made feud with Michaels, too. After he was eliminated at the Rumble, he came back in and attacked Shawn. That also went nowhere.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.

Manwithastick posted:

What are some of the best WWE ideas dropped almost immediately?
I've always liked names and nicknames that don't stick for more than a week or two. Big Show was initially called "Big Nasty." JR called HHH "Tri" in the early Attitude Era after he dropped the blueblood gimmick. Right when I stopped watching in 2001, I could swear I heard JR call Undertaker "Booger Red" a few times, whatever the gently caress that's supposed to mean.

EDIT: And more recently, Ryback went by the nickname "Big Hungry" for one single Raw.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
Vader looked like a Garbage Pail Kid.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The weirdest part of that is that Shawn sounds like he had no idea of how to be a babyface champion.
:confused: "What, the HEEL... gets HEAT on ME? So... I can... COME BACK and go OVER him at the BLOWOFF? I don't get it!"

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

He was a giant drugged out baby, so that's giving him too much credit for long term thinking.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

What was her name - Aloysious? That giantess from NXT Season 3. She was massive and completely different from the other girls on that season. I'm sure she was awful, but I was intrigued.

Isis the Amazon was Aloisia

Cromulent posted:

I've always liked names and nicknames that don't stick for more than a week or two. Big Show was initially called "Big Nasty." JR called HHH "Tri" in the early Attitude Era after he dropped the blueblood gimmick. Right when I stopped watching in 2001, I could swear I heard JR call Undertaker "Booger Red" a few times, whatever the gently caress that's supposed to mean.

EDIT: And more recently, Ryback went by the nickname "Big Hungry" for one single Raw.

WILDCAT KOFI KINGSTON

oatgan fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Mar 4, 2014

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

rotinaj posted:

Fetish pictures and rumors of depression and suicide came out just after she was announced to be a competitor for it, and so they quietly dismissed her.

The fetish stuff was really tame, it was like "Look at this giant woman next to this hot girl in a bikini". She was 6'9" and probably could've held her own against a lot of the men and been the next Chyna, but alas. We got Kaitlyn instead so I'm cool with that.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

VogeGandire posted:

Vader is one of those guys who, with any booking sense, should be a can't-miss. You have him come in, kayfabe injure people, boom, over monster heel. Vader also had the bonus of being really loving good in the ring.

Very true. How many men his size can do an amazing looking moonsault. Not many.

It doesn't help your push when you have HBK threatening to get you fired over a blown spot.

ColeM fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Mar 5, 2014

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

sticklefifer posted:

The fetish stuff was really tame, it was like "Look at this giant woman next to this hot girl in a bikini". She was 6'9" and probably could've held her own against a lot of the men and been the next Chyna, but alas. We got Kaitlyn instead so I'm cool with that.

She was an ungodly horrible wrestler they hired for freak show appeal on short notice. She wasn't going to be the next Chyna in any way other than "She really sucks."

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

sticklefifer posted:

I looked up one of her matches. While she was selling strikes, I was thinking "huh, she's not so bad".

Theeeen she did literally anything else in the ring or on the mic.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

ColeM posted:

It doesn't help your push when you have HBK threatening to get you fired over a blown spot.

Watching HBK violently kicking Vader's head in is the thing that made me really dislike HBK. Michaels was a huge loving baby and I can't like him after he violently attacked a coworker like that.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Cromulent posted:

JR: "What's Booger Red? A nickname that I unsuccessfully hung on the American Bad rear end Character, as I recall, IE the Undertaker. Booger Red was the nickname of another red headed, bad rear end from Texas, former UT linebacker and hall of famer Tommy Nobis. If you look up 'Booger' in the dictionary, it is a southern expression meaning a frightening apparition of which Undertaker certainly is. Plus, he is naturally red headed. I thought the name worked but others didn't."

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Shima Honnou posted:

Watching HBK violently kicking Vader's head in is the thing that made me really dislike HBK. Michaels was a huge loving baby and I can't like him after he violently attacked a coworker like that.

Apparently it literally made Vader cry backstage since he has the body of a monster but the personality of a teddy bear.

finalcake
Oct 5, 2002

CHESTO~!!

ColeM posted:

Well, Cornette did admit that Vader was a "high maintenance" guy, and that's putting it lightly. He's notorious for being difficult to work with because of wanting to do things his way. Bam Bam Bigelow hated working with Vader at first because of this, and explained his stiffness was why Stan Hansen hit him so hard that he popped his eye out.

That certainly doesn't excuse the poor booking and HBK ruining his push, but I'm sure his attitude didn't help matters any.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Aku posted:

Well, Cornette did admit that Vader was a "high maintenance" guy, and that's putting it lightly. He's notorious for being difficult to work with because of wanting to do things his way. Bam Bam Bigelow hated working with Vader at first because of this, and explained his stiffness was why Stan Hansen hit him so hard that he popped his eye out.

That certainly doesn't excuse the poor booking and HBK ruining his push, but I'm sure his attitude didn't help matters any.

Didn't he freak out when he found out about what happened with Foley's ear? Like full-on panic?

finalcake
Oct 5, 2002

CHESTO~!!

Gaz-L posted:

Didn't he freak out when he found out about what happened with Foley's ear? Like full-on panic?

I wouldn't doubt it, because he was an oddly sensitive guy. He once delivered a stiff powerbomb to a guy in WCW and broke his back, which left him in tears afterwards.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-sVl95KI2c#t=1m50s
You can see after powerbombing him, he turned him over and leaned down to check if he was okay, which the ref counted to three for a pin.

He also reportedly cried after a match with HBK because he threatened Vader and his job during a headlock.

EDIT: It's worth noting the ear rip was because Foley tangled his neck in the ropes, which is a spot he's done before, but the ring crew further tightened up the ropes beforehand, making the spot much more dangerous than it should have been. The end result was the ropes(which were actually rubber-encased cables) untangled much faster, ripping his ear off.

finalcake fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Mar 5, 2014

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Who's idea was it to use elevator cables as ropes in WCW? Did a previous territory use them or something?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Yeah, he said in his first book that it happened because the ropes were choking the poo poo out of him so it was squirm free or die. He squirmed but his ear didn't come with him.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

EugeneJ posted:

Who's idea was it to use elevator cables as ropes in WCW? Did a previous territory use them or something?

WWE is kind of the odd man out, actually, in that they use real rope. Most other places do use cables.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

DeathChicken posted:

Although I could swear they did the Dracula ending once with Taker's hand coming out of the dirt. Not even sure how they pulled that one off.

Taker's hand didn't come up form the dirt in the hole, it came up through the grass in front of the grave. So, he was probably just still in the little room under there.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
The Wrestle Gif thread to the rescue!

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
What is the deal with CFO$? Are they strictly WWE, or are they just doing a whole lot of contracting for them? I thought Jim Johnston still did everything except vocals.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

cables long term are cheaper and far more durable/easier to paint. the actual cable is housed in tubing though.

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

Fuck you Eva Marie, if you have to be right there next to all of my posts you don't even get to have red hair. You're a dryad now.
:froggonk:
What was Eddy Guerrero's angle with the Hardy Boyz and Lita supposed to be before he was sent to rehab and released? All I can remember is him coming out once wearing a Jeff Hardy shirt and none of them liking it.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

Gaz-L posted:

WWE is kind of the odd man out, actually, in that they use real rope. Most other places do use cables.

I seem to recall two instances of a rope (or cable) snapping as Arn Anderson ran the ropes, with the second occurrence leading to his career-ending neck injury.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

EugeneJ posted:

It was a WCW tour in Germany with a local ring and ropes.

harley
Sep 2, 2004

dsriggs posted:

Remember when they had Rampage Jackson on Raw while he still under UFC contract, but only referred to him as BA Baracus?

When Glen Jacobs made 'See No Evil' his co-stars were interviewed on Raw.They kayfabed it and talked how Kane was scary to work with.

emjayo
Apr 11, 2013

harley posted:

When Glen Jacobs made 'See No Evil' his co-stars were interviewed on Raw.They kayfabed it and talked how Kane was scary to work with.

The best things to come out of See No Evil were the photos from the film's premiere. Bunch of c-list actors in their finery, posing for photos. Kane turns up in his loving ring gear.

The best caption was something like "Kane watches his movie... as thoughts of destruction fill his mind."

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

And then Glen Jacobs was inexplicably talking about 'Kane' like he was a different character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Aku posted:

What also really didn't help is that this was post-knee surgery Vader, which sapped a lot of the agility that made him notable. He wasn't able to go as well towards the end, that combined with his attitude led to his burial and dismissal.