Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Birthday Cake
Feb 12, 2008

Tom, this is "Mayor's Fun Money." You can use it anywhere.

therealjon_ posted:

He probably went on Howard.

He actually did, and George Takei grabbed his penis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Oh no...

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

He makes a good point!

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

shyduck posted:

Did Ellis and O&A have some falling out along the line? I know they're not exactly friends and they cater to different audiences but that seems a bit weird.

Yeah, Anthony pretty openly hated him since his first time on, Sam and Dave took shots at him all the time. Ellis ended up not being invited back on anymore after his 4th time or so.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

shyduck posted:

Did Ellis and O&A have some falling out along the line? I know they're not exactly friends and they cater to different audiences but that seems a bit weird.

He asked to go on the show when he went to New York some time ago and was denied, and later heard that either Sam or Roland were talking poo poo about him.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
Yea it was Sam.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
I'm sure a lot of it stems from the fact that Ellis was always openly riding Stern's coattails (or trying to, anyway) while O&A put his replays on their channel when he was still relatively new to the game.

He used to have a bit of a rapport with Opie and would trade messages about potential bits to do on the show whenever he would head to New York, but I think the final nail was when he went on Stern first during a visit. But that's just what Ellis relayed to the audience, so who knows what the actual driving force behind him being denied a guest spot.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

-Atom- posted:

I'm sure a lot of it stems from the fact that Ellis was always openly riding Stern's coattails (or trying to, anyway) while O&A put his replays on their channel when he was still relatively new to the game.

He used to have a bit of a rapport with Opie and would trade messages about potential bits to do on the show whenever he would head to New York, but I think the final nail was when he went on Stern first during a visit. But that's just what Ellis relayed to the audience, so who knows what the actual driving force behind him being denied a guest spot.

The driving force is O&A are thin skinned old men who get mad that people also like Stern.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

TwistedNails posted:

The driving force is O&A are thin skinned old men who get mad that people also like Stern.

I don't know what "old men" has to do with any of this. Ellis is 42 which is hardly young, and Stern is older than all of them.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Radio is old men country.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

shyduck posted:

Oh no...

So how many hours will be devoted to this tomorrow. 1? 2? 4?

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

An Enormous Boner posted:

I don't know what "old men" has to do with any of this. Ellis is 42 which is hardly young, and Stern is older than all of them.

You're right old men has nothing to do with it.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Rich White Men think gentrification is great, and people who complain about gentrification are phonies.

Also, Spike Lee's movies aren't oscar worthy, and there's no such thing as racism in hollywood.

Skip, skip, skip, skip.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Neodoomium posted:

Rich White Men think gentrification is great, and people who complain about gentrification are phonies.

Also, Spike Lee's movies aren't oscar worthy, and there's no such thing as racism in hollywood.

Skip, skip, skip, skip.

Unless you're Ron and gentrification is the result of stupid hipster parents not teaching their kids to fear black certain areas of town.

And 12 Years A Slave is so stupid because the guy traveled to DC and of course people love it because they have to. WE GET IT SLAVERY WAS A BAD THING

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

"It comes down to money," says a racist who doesn't understand the connection between race, class, and economic standing in urban areas over long periods of time

Saint Jimmy
Jul 5, 2006

I hope they destroy Ellis. He's horrible and he clogs up faction every afternoon with his bullshit.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Saint Jimmy posted:

I hope they destroy Ellis. He's horrible and he clogs up faction every afternoon with his bullshit.

I think Ellis and O&A are equal on listeners at this point, Ellis has more twitter followers. It'll be fun being a fan of both sides and hearing them bitch about each other tomorrow.

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

We watched our friends grow up together
And we saw them as they fell
Some of them fell into Heaven
Some of them fell into Hell
I like Ellis. I genuinely enjoy listening to him in the afternoons. My day is pretty much O&A > CNN for an hour > Ron and Fez > Ellis.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

From what I've heard from Ellis (which is little I admit), he seems like a douchey Exxxtreme Mtn Dew skateboard dude and has no real footing to claim radio supremacy when it comes to anyone other than Terry Clifford.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Jesse Ventura did an AMA, during which he was asked about American Taliban Gregg Hughes and classified document leaker Lyle Chipperson

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Jesse Ventura did an AMA, during which he was asked about American Taliban Gregg Hughes and classified document leaker Lyle Chipperson

I looked at a reddit thread, in which I asked myself "How can I easily get to the post that Rev. Bleech mentioned?"

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

bunky posted:

I looked at a reddit thread, in which I asked myself "How can I easily get to the post that Rev. Bleech mentioned?"

The three O&A questions are linked at the top here; one of the rare instances when the O&A subreddit is more useful than flaming dog poo poo in a bag.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

The three O&A questions are linked at the top here; one of the rare instances when the O&A subreddit is more useful than flaming dog poo poo in a bag.

Thank you for clarifying, and gently caress you for making me look at reddit.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
I don't get what the big deal is. He's allowed to think he has the best radio show in the whatever.

Edit: That said, there's no doubt in my mind that Opie will trample over the other people in the studio to constantly repeat how wrong he thinks Ellis is.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

Stokes posted:

I don't get what the big deal is. He's allowed to think he has the best radio show in the whatever.

Edit: That said, there's no doubt in my mind that Opie will trample over the other people in the studio to constantly repeat how wrong he thinks Ellis is.

No one's playing thought police with Ellis here. He can think he has the blackest dick in Africa but that doesn't make him right.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
I hate when this stuff happens, because Opie won't shut his loving cakehorn about it.

O__O
Jan 26, 2011

by Cowcaster
I don't know how you can be a Ron and Fez fan and not think the #cakehorn bit is hilarious.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

The cakehorn had me nearly crying on my drive today while I was listening to yesterdays R&F.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
This is one of those times where I hate remembering obscure poo poo, because like 2 or 3 years ago, a similar instance happened with less fanfare, but was run into the ground just the same.

Anyone else remember "Sprint Airlines"? :3:

Edit: Whaaat?!

Morter fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Mar 5, 2014

O__O
Jan 26, 2011

by Cowcaster

Morter posted:

This is one of those times where I hate remembering obscure poo poo, because like 2 or 3 years ago, a similar instance happened with less fanfare, but was rub into the ground just the same.

Anyone else remember "Sprint Airlines"? :3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiKbZCIs91U

For me the highlight is East Side Dave playing Andy Rooney's sound effect thing and Fez starting to cry.

O__O fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Mar 5, 2014

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Both Opie and Anthony were irritated about Ellis and Jimmy also said some good stuff. They were reasonable about the whole thing and I enjoyed listening to it.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

I usually don't hate of Gurian, but is this the third time he's told that Woody Allen story?

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Stokes posted:

Yeah, I don't listen to Ellis but what is he supposed to say? Of course he thinks he's got the best show, its his. Hard to get on the guy for that.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I actually agree with the boys. Ellis didn't just say he has the best radio show, he also said he's bigger than Opie and Anthony, "they're done", and that they're on their way out.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

He's the new up and coming guy...... who's been on the radio for 9 years.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Combo posted:

Yeah, I don't listen to Ellis but what is he supposed to say? Of course he thinks he's got the best show, its his. Hard to get on the guy for that.

They repeatedly acknowledge that he can (and probably even should, for confidence's sake) think he's the best show.

The Dave posted:

I actually agree with the boys. Ellis didn't just say he has the best radio show, he also said he's bigger than Opie and Anthony, "they're done", and that they're on their way out.

This is their problem, yeah, especially considering that they gave him a show on their channel and were very supportive.

ChristianDB
Jun 29, 2008

The Dave posted:

Doesn't he ave sort of a point? Lets say Opie and Anthony entered the market today, would they even compete? I feel like their fandom now is loyalty. Sure they made friends who will drop by and make the laughs but those three sifted towards politics, race and family. At least that's what the gist of the thread is. Also laughing at retarded people and freaks has made a come back with some of you really enjoy.

I fully admit that with the Ron and Fez show, that loyalty keeps me listening 3/5 days a week at least. But I wonder with both shows, how many new listeners are being captured. I got into Ron and Fez because there was so much dead air tension and weirdness I had to keep listening. If I stumbled across opie and anthony and heard day after day free speech, black people are animals with callers laying down facts but being turned down, I'd say gently caress this show

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Yes. O&A are still better than basically everything on the radio.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

ChristianDB posted:

Doesn't he ave sort of a point? Lets say Opie and Anthony entered the market today, would they even compete? I feel like their fandom now is loyalty. Sure they made friends who will drop by and make the laughs but those three sifted towards politics, race and family. At least that's what the gist of the thread is. Also laughing at retarded people and freaks has made a come back with some of you really enjoy.

Let me first say that it doesn't matter if he has a point or not he should show some respect for guys that did nothing but try to help out his career, he's being a scumbag.

Now to your point, it doesn't matter. If they have a giant fanbase because they're fans are loyal... they still have a giant fanbase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

ChristianDB posted:

I honestly think that both shows have stagnated thanks to Sirius. They're stuck in that skyscraper with an audience of dumb truckers and a small group of preapproved guests to interact with.

Both shows could probably still go if they made it back to FM. Put O&A on the ground with some better callers, open door policy and live local events and most of the politics/race/family stuff would be gone.

• Locked thread