Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

dis astranagant posted:

He does, you just need demon leadership so it doesn't rout.

Punch horses require specialized leaders to control; no normal man can command the loyalty of the punch horse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
Extract the nationgen stuff, run the .jar file that isn't spritegen.jar, then once you make a nation take the stuff out of the mods folder in the nationgen folder and put it in the dominions mods folder

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

And don't try to make more than 19 nations at a time, 20+ throws a numberFormatException or some such.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

dis astranagant posted:

He does, you just need demon leadership so it doesn't rout.

size 3 punchhorse is gonna have some trouble hitting anything

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Flavahbeast posted:

Note the red morale. He's routing which has a -5 attack/def penalty.

Diabl0658
Dec 10, 2008

These are the games we play.
Also note the 50 encumbrance

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Diabl0658 posted:

Also note the 50 encumbrance

Ahahahahaha I missed that, wow punch horses are terrible.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

There's also the icing on the cake that the nation which gets the punch-horses has no way to command demons unless they get lucky with indies.

Big Sean
Jan 18, 2010
How have ranged weapons changes affected the usability of SCs? I'm only fooling around with SP (having played significant amount of Dom3 MP), but after watching my kitted Ice Devil get embarrassed by an AI commander w/ black bow of botulf, I am seeing a lot of challenges to effectively using any type of SC against a human player, outside of maybe raiding roles.

Have people been able to use them effectively? I know the resistance changes have been pretty heavily discussed, but ranged weapons / shields seems much more important.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Big Sean posted:

How have ranged weapons changes affected the usability of SCs? I'm only fooling around with SP (having played significant amount of Dom3 MP), but after watching my kitted Ice Devil get embarrassed by an AI commander w/ black bow of botulf, I am seeing a lot of challenges to effectively using any type of SC against a human player, outside of maybe raiding roles.

Have people been able to use them effectively? I know the resistance changes have been pretty heavily discussed, but ranged weapons / shields seems much more important.

I haven't found SCs to be worth a drat in dom4. They die to a lot of poo poo and it's virtually impossible to make their resist magic a sure thing. I'd recommend using them as traditional thugs. They can be fine if part of an army and you also have high-hp units to draw spell fire, but on their own they're just going to get worked against a lot of different compositions.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Holy poo poo, Kitfox. Why must you put like 50 pd everywhere.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

amuayse posted:

He's playing the long con. After 5 or 6 games of that no one will attack him, ever

edit: seriously kitfox i hate you so much

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Which nation has the best PD? Just curious for... Reasons.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
How do I deal with ghost armies. I've been kicking rear end in a single player game and suddenly a ghost army is just walking straight at my capital like PD or wizards aren't poo poo.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

How do I deal with ghost armies. I've been kicking rear end in a single player game and suddenly a ghost army is just walking straight at my capital like PD or wizards aren't poo poo.

Lots of priests, banishing undead left and right.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

I Love You! posted:

He's playing the long con. After 5 or 6 games of that no one will attack him, ever

Dumping 1000+ gold into PD seems like less of a long-term strategy than using it to build a fortress+defensive structure(s).

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Dear amazon nation in the new bloods game. I love fighting you and you have been great for me in learning proper spell casting and placement for units and casters. Thank you for the fun war so far.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Victor Vermis posted:

Dumping 1000+ gold into PD seems like less of a long-term strategy than using it to build a fortress+defensive structure(s).

HE DOES BOTH

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Priests and magic weapons

MagnumOpus
Dec 7, 2006

Are there any good tricks to stopping an army so that you can fight it? I've got a game where I have been chasing a 70 or so unit army around my backfield for over a year. Every turn I move into where they are and every turn they escape me, into another one of my provinces. The province layout does not make for good prediction about where they might be going next.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
You will literally never catch them if they are moving away from you. The only way to catch them is to move to where they are moving to or to use magic movement, but that will start a fight with only the dudes who teleported in it which is probably not a good idea sometimes.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

MagnumOpus posted:

Are there any good tricks to stopping an army so that you can fight it? I've got a game where I have been chasing a 70 or so unit army around my backfield for over a year. Every turn I move into where they are and every turn they escape me, into another one of my provinces. The province layout does not make for good prediction about where they might be going next.

Try to use PD or small, expendable armies to just make him fight every step until his army is ground down into dust. Or if that is too expensive, just make a second army and go around aiding his territory to draw his army back out of yours.

MagnumOpus
Dec 7, 2006

Libluini posted:

Try to use PD or small, expendable armies to just make him fight every step until his army is ground down into dust. Or if that is too expensive, just make a second army and go around aiding his territory to draw his army back out of yours.

Yeah he'll eventually die out because I am MA C'tis and he is running around in my core where my Dom is 6+ everywhere. It's just annoying because I think he has given up on the game and is just kingmaking or trying to piss me off.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

MagnumOpus posted:

Yeah he'll eventually die out because I am MA C'tis and he is running around in my core where my Dom is 6+ everywhere. It's just annoying because I think he has given up on the game and is just kingmaking or trying to piss me off.

Depending on army composition you can kill 70ish guys pretty easy with a 20pd trap and maybe 6 or so marshmasters spamming skeletons. Learning how to counter raiding is an important skill for a newbie to pick up, and is one of the few things that you can learn by fighting the AI.

MagnumOpus
Dec 7, 2006

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Depending on army composition you can kill 70ish guys pretty easy with a 20pd trap and maybe 6 or so marshmasters spamming skeletons. Learning how to counter raiding is an important skill for a newbie to pick up, and is one of the few things that you can learn by fighting the AI.

Yeah I considered that since I do have a pretty large store of Marshmasters back there. I'm wary since he's got like 30 elephants in his stack and I'm not sure how many Marshmasters spamming Hordes I'd need.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

MagnumOpus posted:

Yeah I considered that since I do have a pretty large store of Marshmasters back there. I'm wary since he's got like 30 elephants in his stack and I'm not sure how many Marshmasters spamming Hordes I'd need.
Cast Terror, gently caress Elephants (and everything behind them)

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

jBrereton posted:

Cast Terror, gently caress Elephants (and everything behind them)

This will work. Elephants are loving cowards and a half dozen marshmasters spamming terror would very likely route them. Assuming you still have the chaser army going, the routed elephants will have nowhere to route to and will all die.

Also if you summon one behemoth and body ethereal it, it can probably route 30 elephants all by itself :v:.

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Mar 5, 2014

MagnumOpus
Dec 7, 2006

Nuclearmonkee posted:

This will work. Elephants are loving cowards and a half dozen marshmasters spamming terror would very likely route them. Assuming you still have the chaser army going, the routed elephants will have nowhere to route to and will all die.

I've only got Thaum 3 right now so the best I can do is Frighten, but I can bring like 20 Marshmasters to the fight since he's on my capitol this turn. Would that work? I was thinking something like Hordes x2 then Frighten x3 on all of them.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

MagnumOpus posted:

I've only got Thaum 3 right now so the best I can do is Frighten, but I can bring like 20 Marshmasters to the fight since he's on my capitol this turn. Would that work? I was thinking something like Hordes x2 then Frighten x3 on all of them.

20 marshmasters will literally fill your entire side of the battlefield with skeletons if they are all spamming hordes of skeletons. Couple that with a few guys throwing frighten and yeah, the elephants are about as hosed as elephants can be.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Flavahbeast posted:

how dare you

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

MagnumOpus posted:

Frighten First, Hordes Later. You want to make absolutely sure the elephants start running before your Marshmasters get knackered out.

Oh and:

Donkringel posted:

Which nation has the best PD? Just curious for... Reasons.
MA TC if you're going to put more than 4 points in it.

Otherwise most Heims or anything with Centaur priest/mages.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

amuayse posted:

I Love You! posted:

Victor Vermis posted:

I Love You! posted:

HE DOES BOTH

:c00l:

Scales 4 lyfe mothafuckas

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Not even lying I'm going AI because I can't deal with both that poo poo and lanka kicking my teeth in on the other side.

Smerdyakov
Jul 8, 2008

MagnumOpus posted:

Depending on the composition, you can halt some/all of them by assassinating commanders, and sometimes spells that cause non-assassination attacks will halt an enemy army's movement. If you've got air or nature magic, throw some birds/wolves at them. Also, scout blocking doesn't work reliably, but it's definitely stopped some of my armies before, so it can't hurt to try.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
So one of my awesome commanders got an injury and I wanted to heal him up. I had the stuff to make The Chalice so I figured that'd be an easy way to do it.

Every turn I'd see stuff like "5 afflictions have been cured" but my guy still wasn't getting better.

And then I saw this awesome Jaguar Warrior

Where he's going, he won't need eyes to see.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

willus posted:

Extract the nationgen stuff, run the .jar file that isn't spritegen.jar, then once you make a nation take the stuff out of the mods folder in the nationgen folder and put it in the dominions mods folder

I figured out what was going on. For whatever reason my default action was unzipping the .jar file instead of running it, so I was getting junk files. Thanks for the help!

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

GenericOverusedName posted:

Not even lying I'm going AI because I can't deal with both that poo poo and lanka kicking my teeth in on the other side.
Uh just ignore the guy with 50PD and attack Lanka? Not sure they'll have much of a field army if they spent that much on defence.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Hi, I'm a Goon, I signed up for the Goon Game Service

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

jBrereton posted:

Uh just ignore the guy with 50PD

Wrong. If you see someone with 50 PD like that then you have to attack them as punishment for their insolence.

Mystic Mongol posted:

Hi, I'm a Goon, I signed up for the Goon Game Service

Great job! A+

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

jBrereton posted:

Uh just ignore the guy with 50PD and attack Lanka? Not sure they'll have much of a field army if they spent that much on defence.

Kinda hard when he's bisected my territory with a 50pd wall of gently caress between my cap and everything else. I'd have to get through it to get my armies to Lanka and gently caress it.

• Locked thread